Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! When did you get the call? Also, how long do you have to submit a deposit?Is it $1000?

Got the call at 1:18PM, have yet to receive any other information. They said I probably wouldn't get the email until tomorrow, but I will let you all know ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from sending in a letter of intent and updating them with Fall semester grades, is there anything you can do to improve your chances for getting off the waitlist? I should probably have more patience for the process, but MSUCOM is my top choice, and I'm really hoping to get off the waitlist before I pay another deposit at another school.

ACCEPTED TODAY! Got the call around 1 pm as well .. 1st tier and interviewed 1/26

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is there any link/group for trying to find housing? I know its pretty late in the game..

Members don't see this ad :)
No doubt, did it yesterday. Good looking out, I loved how detailed the option were for your big. It adds to the excitement.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
The links they sent don't work for me...am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

No doubt, did it yesterday. Good looking out, I loved how detailed the option were for your big. It adds to the excitement.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
My big sib was awesome, on a side note there is site specific FB groups for muc and dmc.

Congrats to the newly accepted! If you need the FB links PM me.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

ACCEPTED!!!! First tier, interviewed in October called at 11am today, in state

Reactions: 8 users
Called the Office of Admissions but no one answered.

I just sent all of my letter writers the Interfolio request. I can't wait anymore after completing the secondary three and a half weeks ago. To anyone else, make sure you use the "mla2015" code that someone above suggested. It's no charge!
Did you have any trouble using the code? I read somewhere that if you use a special code it will associate your with the organization, which can be bad if you don't go to the school, etc.

Did you have any trouble using the code? I read somewhere that if you use a special code it will associate your with the organization, which can be bad if you don't go to the school, etc.

No. I had no trouble with the code or interfolio as a whole! I don't think it had an impact on the decision.

Anyone know where to buy MSUCOM apparel/gifts for family?

MSUCOM has a merchandise link under the "About" tab on the home page
Besides the things at that link, there's a decent amount of stuff that you can only really get in the Medical Bookstore in the basement of Fee. Also, each class usually has a crest/logo that gets put on merchandise near the holidays (just depends on how motivated your class board is to get it all together).

What's the student research situation at macomb? Any opportunities in pediatrics?

Also, anyone know if there is a MUC student gym or what gym options are in the area?

What's the student research situation at macomb? Any opportunities in pediatrics?

Also, anyone know if there is a MUC student gym or what gym options are in the area?
Can't speak on research or if there is an msucom gym, but my buddy goes to an LA fitness in the area.

I have questions regarding medical equipment. I noticed that MSUCOM required that we have littman cardiology III stethoscope among other things. However, as gift for being accepted at a med school, my aunt bought me littman classic III. I certainly do not want to return the gift or sell it and buy a more expensive version of it. Yet, if the differences are important, I am willing to cough out more money. Can someone tell me whether I need to exchange the classic for the cardiology or not?

Noted: My aunt, who is her self an EM doc, explained to me that the Cardiology III is just too fancy for a medical student and the classic III is more than enough. However, she also noted that if it is required, then we will deal with it.

I have questions regarding medical equipment. I noticed that MSUCOM required that we have littman cardiology III stethoscope among other things. However, as gift for being accepted at a med school, my aunt bought me littman classic III. I certainly do not want to return the gift or sell it and buy a more expensive version of it. Yet, if the differences are important, I am willing to cough out more money. Can someone tell me whether I need to exchange the classic for the cardiology or not?

Noted: My aunt, who is her self an EM doc, explained to me that the Cardiology III is just too fancy for a medical student and the classic III is more than enough. However, she also noted that if it is required, then we will deal with it.
You're certainly fine with the Classic III; it's a good stethoscope and there's no reason why you should trade it in for a Cardiology III. The "requirements" are just a loose guideline, really... I also think the Welch Allyn diagnostic set is overkill (and some people do get cheaper sets).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A question for current students: how often are we required to physically be in class? My understanding is a lot of the lectures are recorded/streamed. Does this change moving from semester one (anatomy) to semester two and beyond?

You're certainly fine with the Classic III; it's a good stethoscope and there's no reason why you should trade it in for a Cardiology III. The "requirements" are just a loose guideline, really... I also think the Welch Allyn diagnostic set is overkill (and some people do get cheaper sets).

Ooh, thank you. I love the one I have right now too. She had the scope engraved with my name on it. I was also going to ask you about the Welch Allyn set also since the store in my town has another set that is just as good but 3/4 cheaper. I just hope I won't stand out as a cheapskate in school.

A question for current students: how often are we required to physically be in class? My understanding is a lot of the lectures are recorded/streamed. Does this change moving from semester one (anatomy) to semester two and beyond?

Yes, I am also curious about it too. So, could someone explain that to me also?

Afaik from a buddy, most lectures you don't have to attend because you can stream, however, they will have mandatory ones throughout the semester. All labs are also mandatory. A current student can correct me if I'm mistaken :)

I can easily say you only have to be on campus maybe twice a week for Opc or omm but it does change with semester that you have lab. Lab is technically not mandatory but there is clicker points during or after so it's your choice .

I can easily say you only have to be on campus maybe twice a week for Opc or omm but it does change with semester that you have lab. Lab is technically not mandatory but there is clicker points during or after so it's your choice .
Yep, agree that it depends on the semester. Attendance is pretty important for derm (you may "randomly" have to present in front of the whole class -- for points), highly recommended for cardio (when they're live lectures by Dr. S), and required otherwise here and there for various things. I find that I would go in to campus most days of the week, but usually for lab sessions, clinical skills, etc. in the afternoon.

Sorry, there's no hard and fast rule as far as attendance goes; it really depends.

Could anyone shed light on how hard is med school? I know this is a beat old dead horse. But, as the days approaches, I am more terrified each days for some reasons. How hard is everything? Do I have a life or will I just shut myself out studying all the times? As well, in comparison to many other peoples, I have taken two years off after undergrad to work and live life outside of school. I am just a little nervous that I am out of rhythms with academia. Are there anyone in this situation? While my undergrad was in health field, I am nervous that I am not as sharp as when I was in undergrad right now after years from school and working instead.

I am hoping all these ramblings are just my nerves being fired up and everything. But I would feel better to hear from others who have gone and other who could identify with me.

Could anyone shed light on how hard is med school? I know this is a beat old dead horse. But, as the days approaches, I am more terrified each days for some reasons. How hard is everything? Do I have a life or will I just shut myself out studying all the times? As well, in comparison to many other peoples, I have taken two years off after undergrad to work and live life outside of school. I am just a little nervous that I am out of rhythms with academia. Are there anyone in this situation? While my undergrad was in health field, I am nervous that I am not as sharp as when I was in undergrad right now after years from school and working instead.

I am hoping all these ramblings are just my nerves being fired up and everything. But I would feel better to hear from others who have gone and other who could identify with me.
So, being done with two years (and seriously looking forward to being out of the classroom!), here are my thoughts.

It's tough, yes. You'll have good tests and bad tests, good classes and bad classes, good practical exams and bad practical exams... and you'll probably feel like you're on the verge of failing every now and again. Heck, you might even fail something here and there. But you can and will get through it. You will have a life. You will study a lot. They're not mutually exclusive, but different days and weeks will have different priorities. It's all about adapting. You'll get tired, you'll question what you're doing... and then you'll look back on it in a few years and realize that it's flown by and you've accomplished more than you could ever expect. Or, at least, that's the goal :laugh: (and boards studying sure makes you wonder if you actually know anything at all!).

As far as having taken time off, I think it's actually to your benefit. Med school, in my opinion, is about managing your time effectively and being able to work and focus on school and your clinical abilities over long periods of time. It's a long-term, cumulative process. I find that people who have had work experience are better at partitioning life and school and tend to have a better balance. And no worries; you'll get back into the swing of studying all day pretty quickly... you don't really have an alternative. :D

Last edited: