Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did that too actually, applying to both programs. However, in the end, I opted for the DO one since they offered me big scholarship and nothing at all from the MD program. It is a relatively simple choice for me to make. So, no, they won't penalize you for anything.
Was it a merit based scholarship?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, it is a mixture of merit and non-merit based scholarship. The vast number of it is really non-merit scholarship based.

Members don't see this ad :)
So...did you guys follow their guidelines/recommendation for the white coat size. Chest measurement +1? I did and I'm wondering if that was a bad idea

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

So...did you guys follow their guidelines/recommendation for the white coat size. Chest measurement +1? I did and I'm wondering if that was a bad idea

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Yep. I tried my size on at "Closer Look Day" and it fit perfectly.

Sent from my VS985 4G using SDN mobile

I suppose it's time the rest of us gear up to reapply for next year. This year's been pretty tough.

Although, it's probably not over till June 3rd.

I suppose it's time the rest of us gear up to reapply for next year. This year's been pretty tough.

Yeah on the same boat.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Yeah on the same boat.

Did you set up a meeting with Anne Snyder in admissions? I would do that ASAP to figure out how to improve your app. She helped me tremendously!

Wishing you the best of luck! There is still time, fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you set up a meeting with Anne Snyder in admissions? I would do that ASAP to figure out how to improve your app. She helped me tremendously!

Wishing you the best of luck! There is still time, fingers crossed.

I already spoke to Lorie Culham, the admissions manager, about a month ago. My problem is I need to take a couple more classes to boost my GPA but I work 50 plus hrs a week in my current job in the middle of nowhere. I will have to look into whether or no they accept online courses.....

Reactions: 1 user
I already spoke to Lorie Culham, the admissions manager, about a month ago. My problem is I need to take a couple more classes to boost my GPA but I work 50 plus hrs a week in my current job in the middle of nowhere. I will have to look into whether or no they accept online courses.....

I took both physics one and physics two online and they were accepted

How many of you on here are Tier 1 waitlisted and still waiting? Just trying to get an idea

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not over till it's over. I hear that if you're accepted closer to the Orientation date, you might only get like 24 Hours to accept or decline it.

Hopefully all of you guys have acceptances elsewhere too

Have they mentioned when our last possible date to hear back would be? I thought it was leading up to June 8th, which is the orientation.

Last day is 6/3, according to the update email "Most movement happens throughout April and May with the last offer of admissions occurring no later than June 3rd."

I talked to Laurie a couple weeks ago, she confirmed that the last day for acceptances would be this Friday, June 3rd. Based on past years it looks like chances of further movement are pretty slim unfortunately for us still tier 1 waitlisted. So much for a "90% chance"

Yeah. I would assume so. Hopefully you guys have acceptances elsewhere. Best of luck.

not over till they send the final email, i know a few people in the past that literally had 2 hours to accept or decline the acceptance

It can't be 2 hours. That's ridiculous

I'm pretty sure last-minute ppl get like 24 hours.

not over till they send the final email, i know a few people in the past that literally had 2 hours to accept or decline the acceptance
Do you know if anyone on the top of the waitlist was guaranteed a spot for next cycle

It was offered last cycle but I don't know about this cycle. Not to discourage anyone but if they sent out the final email and you did not receive a guaranteed spot for next year, unfortunately you will have to reapply :-(.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hey guys! The 2016-2017 thread is pretty quiet so I figured I would ask this question here. Does anyone know the likelihood of being accepted after interview? I have what I assume to be the first interview date, August 19, and this is my #1 choice, will withdraw everywhere else if accepted, blah blah. Also, do you think our date will hear back "quicker" because it's an early interview date?

Thanks so much!

Hey guys! The 2016-2017 thread is pretty quiet so I figured I would ask this question here. Does anyone know the likelihood of being accepted after interview? I have what I assume to be the first interview date, August 19, and this is my #1 choice, will withdraw everywhere else if accepted, blah blah. Also, do you think our date will hear back "quicker" because it's an early interview date?

Thanks so much!
Since you're interviewing early in the cycle, the odds of an acceptance are going to be fairly high. I don't know if anyone knows of an exact percentage, though.

Also, how long it takes to hear back really just depends on the person you're assigned to (they'll go over the process in detail on interview day.) I believe they'll tell you that you'll hear within 3 weeks. I was accepted about 2 weeks after I interviewed, but there were some people in my interview group who heard back after about a week.

Thanks so much!

According to the March status update from adcom,
"All AACOMAS Applicants: 5395
Applicants Interviewed: 637 (interviews are complete)
Seat Deposits Paid: 314 (includes Canadian)
Canadian Seat Deposits Paid: 25
MCAT average of accepted applicants: 28.5/505
Science GPA average of accepted applicants: 3.64".
So I would say your chances post interview is >50%. Congratulations on getting selected for an interview! At this early point of the cycle, I would say your chances are greater than 50.

And seat deposits doesn't include all people accepted, I assume. So here's to hoping my chances are good!

And seat deposits doesn't include all people accepted, I assume. So here's to hoping my chances are good!
That's true! Even greater odds for you! =) Just be yourself and have fun at the MMI! Remember, there are no correct answers for the MMI. They just want to see who you really are!

Hey guys!

I know that sometimes current MSU COM students lurk these forums and offer advice so I thought Id ask. I got a 501 MCAT (CHM/PHS-126, cars-123, bio-124, psych-128), I am applying really early, I have a cumulative non-science GPA of 3.94 and a science GPA of 3.39. I am a MI resident and I know they favor that a lot. My letters of rec are from a MD doctor, a medical ethics professor, and my supervisor that I was an instructor for for 3 semesters. I do have other letters of rec but they're not as strong so I dont want to include them- including my research advisor, science professor, and the dean. I really don't want to retake my MCAT but i also don't want to miss my chances of missing this cycle. my extra curriculars are good, I mean I didn't find the cure for cancer and get published but definitely have clinical experience, shadowing, research, and A LOT of leadership. I saw that their average mcat is a 504 and I feel like you can get into some MD schools with that number so idk how accurate it is. Any insight? Thanks in advance!