Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes

Beginning this year all candidates for admission will go through an interview.
I was told on the phone that interview candidates would still be chosen based on their primary application and then acceptance was based on interview + secondary screenings?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
App complete! Called and was told mini interviews will begin at the end of August and they wont start screening our applications until September though so it's still really early.

Dumb question, but how can they conduct interviews without screening applications? Am I totally out of the loop?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dumb question, but how can they conduct interviews without screening applications? Am I totally out of the loop?
I don't actually know exactly how the process will go, but my uneducated guess is that the interview invites are based off of a cursory screen (are they academically capable? are numbers above a cutoff? are academic requirements met/going to be met?) while the later committee review will include all aspects of your application plus interview feedback to determine if you're an all-around good fit. :)

Last edited:
Current first year here who can help answer any questions to the best of my ability!

@SpartanWolverine is a fountain of knowledge as a big dog OMS2 and is super helpful!

Current first year here who can help answer any questions to the best of my ability!

@SpartanWolverine is a fountain of knowledge as a big dog OMS2 and is super helpful!
Haha well between the two of us we should be able to answer a lot...!

If anyone has questions about the new computerized testing system or pros/cons of distance sites, @DaddyBex28 has you covered there!

Haha well between the two of us we should be able to answer a lot...!

If anyone has questions about the new computerized testing system or pros/cons of distance sites, @DaddyBex28 has you covered there!
It's nothing but cons, I hate not being able to see my wrong answers

It's nothing but cons, I hate not being able to see my wrong answers

There are definitely many kinks they need to work out with the new computer based testing, as such with any change in curriculum.

Personally, I really like taking the exams on the computer though. It's good preparation for the long computer based exams we have to take in the (near) future.

Reactions: 1 users
I take mine on a iPad . It is good for the long term, By the way DMC lecture chairs are awesome. Just throwing that out there .

I take mine on a iPad . It is good for the long term, By the way DMC lecture chairs are awesome. Just throwing that out there .
I went to the open house at the DMC and all the students raved about the chairs! I agree they were insanely comfortable.

So I just paid the secondary fee but the site shows that it hasn't been paid yet. anyone else have this issue?

So I just paid the secondary fee but the site shows that it hasn't been paid yet. anyone else have this issue?

how long ago did you pay? Wait for a bit. You should get a receipt to your email to confirm the payment and it should also show up on your app after that

Members don't see this ad :)
After you pay the fee, there is a 'return' button that navigates you back to the secondary app. You, like me, probably didn't click it and might have just closed the tab or something. I mentioned this when I emailed the admissions office about not being able to upload a picture and they took care of it for me.

I'm still waiting on my letters to show up, starting to get a little frustrated :/

I'm still waiting on my letters to show up, starting to get a little frustrated :/
I definitely wouldn't wait for AACOMAS to send your letters. I subscribed to interfolio and it's a free delivery to MSUCOM. My letters showed up the next day, I would look into it!

I definitely wouldn't wait for AACOMAS to send your letters. I subscribed to interfolio and it's a free delivery to MSUCOM. My letters showed up the next day, I would look into it!
I would have to contact all of my letter writers and ask them to send their letter to interfolio correct? I'd rather avoid this, I've had a hard enough time getting my authors to submit at all, let alone again.

This may be a stupid question, but how long after AACOMAS verification does it typically take to be emailed the secondary? Maybe I am missing the spot on AACOMAS where you can see if schools have recieved your app?

I would have to contact all of my letter writers and ask them to send their letter to interfolio correct? I'd rather avoid this, I've had a hard enough time getting my authors to submit at all, let alone again.
Yeah, I had a lot of trouble getting the letters in as well. However, interfolio literally just sends them a link to upload and it takes 2 seconds. Although it is a pain, I would definitely look into it as MSUCOM has basically told everyone they are having trouble receiving AACOMAS letters. Half the battle is applying early! Gotta shift the odds in our favor!

Yeah, I had a lot of trouble getting the letters in as well. However, interfolio literally just sends them a link to upload and it takes 2 seconds. Although it is a pain, I would definitely look into it as MSUCOM has basically told everyone they are having trouble receiving AACOMAS letters. Half the battle is applying early! Gotta shift the odds in our favor!
How do we send through interfolio? Do we go onto the interfolio website, make a 19.99 dossier and all that?

How do we send through interfolio? Do we go onto the interfolio website, make a 19.99 dossier and all that?
Yeah...then you send requests to each of your authors and once they send them in you can have them delivered to each school. MSUCOM has free electronic delivery so that was cool.

This may be a stupid question, but how long after AACOMAS verification does it typically take to be emailed the secondary? Maybe I am missing the spot on AACOMAS where you can see if schools have recieved your app?
Theres only a spot on AACOMAS that says when your app is verified. Normally the schools themselves will email you to let you know they received your app or they will just send you a secondary. Double check that your app is verified and if it is you should get secondaries whenever the schools get them. If you have a UMICH email like I did, the MSUCOM system isn't able to send emails through so I had to make a new hotmail email, maybe that's your problem? I would call.

Theres only a spot on AACOMAS that says when your app is verified. Normally the schools themselves will email you to let you know they received your app or they will just send you a secondary. Double check that your app is verified and if it is you should get secondaries whenever the schools get them. If you have a UMICH email like I did, the MSUCOM system isn't able to send emails through so I had to make a new hotmail email, maybe that's your problem? I would call.
Yeah I am definitely verified. But it was only last week so I think I will wait it out a bit before I call. Also, is it really worth it to send through Interfolio if they are already sent through AACOMAS?

Yeah I am definitely verified. But it was only last week so I think I will wait it out a bit before I call. Also, is it really worth it to send through Interfolio if they are already sent through AACOMAS?
I would definitely say so. They have been attempting to receive AACOMAS letters for the entire cycle and they have still not came in. So unless you want your secondary to be on hold pending AACOMAS straightening their bugs out, I would definitely look for a different option to get your app in ASAP.

I would definitely say so. They have been attempting to receive AACOMAS letters for the entire cycle and they have still not came in. So unless you want your secondary to be on hold pending AACOMAS straightening their bugs out, I would definitely look for a different option to get your app in ASAP.
Damn ok thanks for the tip! Can I send to MSUCOM through Interfolio even if I have not completed my secondary, and they will match it up once I submit, or should I wait?

I've had a crappy experience with both ways so far. I sent through Interfolio to MSU two-weeks ago and they only received 3/5 letters that I have sent. I've tried separate deliveries and two of my letters (that have been fine going to other schools) just wont seem to deliver. I contacted them and they forwarded the issue to Tech Support. I'm marked complete for the meantime, but C'MONN

Damn ok thanks for the tip! Can I send to MSUCOM through Interfolio even if I have not completed my secondary, and they will match it up once I submit, or should I wait?
They will match it up....you'll see under "status" for the secondary it will say letters received, while it will still say secondary application incomplete.

They will match it up....you'll see under "status" for the secondary it will say letters received, while it will still say secondary application incomplete.
Seriously thank you so much, you're the best!

FYI to anyone looking to use Interfolio- you get a free yearlong dossier with the offer code "mla2015"

There are definitely many kinks they need to work out with the new computer based testing, as such with any change in curriculum.

Personally, I really like taking the exams on the computer though. It's good preparation for the long computer based exams we have to take in the (near) future.

Also a current first year. I love having computer based exams. It's much easier to go back to flagged questions compared to flipping through pages and also there's a notes section on the bottom which is great when looking over answers.

Good Luck to you all!

Directly from MSUCOM Office of Admissions (received just now) "We are currently working on the letter transfer issue with AACOMAS, we hope to have this resolved today."

You have to contact them and they'll fix it for you. Happened to me too, I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one!

Does anybody know if they treat DO and DO/PhD applicants in the same way? On the secondary it seems like the graduate program is fairly interdependent from medical admissions, but I could be wrong. The medical anthropology route seems interesting, given I was an anthropology major in undergrad. However, I don't want to be screened out more readily due to this. Any help is much appreciated!

Question RE:
1) Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500 words maximum

When I write I like to have short, but many, paragraphs. I don't understand why they are limiting us to 2-3 paragraphs, but 500 words max. Which do I pay attention to? I will most likely have 5-6 paragraphs, but only 300-450 words. What do I do?

The second prompt does not limit you to paragraphs. Why did they limit the first one!

Last edited:
Question RE:
1) Describe in two to three paragraphs how you learned about the osteopathic profession and why you feel the profession is a good fit for you. 500 words maximum

When I write I like to have short, but many, paragraphs. I don't understand why they are limiting us to 2-3 paragraphs, but 500 words max. Which do I pay attention to? I will most likely have 5-6 paragraphs, but only 300-450 words. What do I do?

The second prompt does not limit you to paragraphs. Why did they limit the first one!

I feel like you are overthinking it. Take a breather. I know I had 3-4 paragraphs...as long as it's in the word/character limit then I am sure it is fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Question RE:

I had 5-6 paragraphs... following the word limit makes much more sense. Just do whatever flows best in terms of format while remaining within the word limit

Directly from MSUCOM Office of Admissions (received just now) "We are currently working on the letter transfer issue with AACOMAS, we hope to have this resolved today."
Just an update, my issue is still not "resolved". I still have no letters

Just an update, my issue is still not "resolved". I still have no letters

To anyone struggling with letters- If possible, I recommend sending them through Interfolio. I did and they were received by MSUCOM within 24 hours. AACOMAS is the most unreliable system I have ever experienced and wouldn't trust them to resolve any issue on time.

Called the Office of Admissions but no one answered.

I just sent all of my letter writers the Interfolio request. I can't wait anymore after completing the secondary three and a half weeks ago. To anyone else, make sure you use the "mla2015" code that someone above suggested. It's no charge!

Last edited:
Do letters need to be submitted by the secondary deadline they give you? or can they be sent later? Cause some my writers still haven't written theirs yet.

Do letters need to be submitted by the secondary deadline they give you? or can they be sent later? Cause some my writers still haven't written theirs yet.
Yes the letters need to be submitted before the sand in the hourglass runs out. I just read it earlier today.

does anyone know if we are allowed to re-use our letters from last year... two of my new letters have been added to the app but not the one I had from last year :/

I emailed them about this, they said they would give us extentions if they don't have the letters by the due date. You just have to tell them.

For me it's not just the letters, it's also still the MCAT. Is anyone else waiting on that too? I don't think bothering with inerfolio is worth it at this point because that's not going to make my MCAT show up, unless there's some way to bypass AACOMAS for that as well.

For me it's not just the letters, it's also still the MCAT. Is anyone else waiting on that too? I don't think bothering with inerfolio is worth it at this point because that's not going to make my MCAT show up, unless there's some way to bypass AACOMAS for that as well.

Oh wow, that is really frustrating to deal with. Does AACOMAS have your official MCAT, it just hasn't been updated by MSUCOM or are you still waiting for it to be official with AACOMAS?

Oh wow, that is really frustrating to deal with. Does AACOMAS have your official MCAT, it just hasn't been updated by MSUCOM or are you still waiting for it to be official with AACOMAS?
They have it, it's just not updated through MSU

I was told on the phone that interview candidates would still be chosen based on their primary application and then acceptance was based on interview + secondary screenings?
lols you were given bad info. I called the office today regarding a LOR issue and asked them the process and they said that only after the secondary was submitted would an applicant be considered.

lols you were given bad info. I called the office today regarding a LOR issue and asked them the process and they said that only after the secondary was submitted would an applicant be considered.

He may have meant that they are only using info from the primary app to choose people for interviews, but I'm sure they only look at primary apps from people who have everything turned in (primary, secondary, MCAT, etc)? I've had no contact with admissions so I have no idea though- that's just what I took his explanation to mean!

He may have meant that they are only using info from the primary app to choose people for interviews, but I'm sure they only look at primary apps from people who have everything turned in (primary, secondary, MCAT, etc)? I've had no contact with admissions so I have no idea though- that's just what I took his explanation to mean!
I mean to choose interviews they are using primaries to screen. Then after interviews they will be using our secondaries to choose who is admitted, but yeah, you obviously can't get an interview until your secondary is in.