Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary submmited! That thing was a beast. :highfive::clap::love:

Members don't see this ad.

I am asked to do a skype interview. DOPhD applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When did you receive the invite!?
I think it is DO PHD interview, I am not sure if it is the same as med school interview since msu did not have any additional interview in previous cycle.
I was asked to schedule an interview this past Thursday. My app wasnt complete until mid July.

I think it is DO PHD interview, I am not sure if it is the same as med school interview since msu did not have any additional interview in previous cycle.
Oh okay...I called awhile ago and they said the first interviews wouldn't be until the end of August, but that must just be for DO applicants.

I've completed all the sections, but when I go to submit, there's still a red exclamation mark by everything but the application fee. It won't let me sign and date on the submission page either. My letters and MCAT are in. Any suggestions? I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious...:bored:

Edit: Problem solved! I have to actually click submit on each of the sections individually. This secondary has truly used up all of my ability for rational thought...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Can someone confirm if it's normal to have the "not submitted" in status next to LOR and MCAT? I know they were having LOR issues so I was half expecting that, but my official MCAT is attached to AACOMAS and is still not marked as recieved. Do I need to separately send my MCAT to MSUCOM?

Can someone confirm if it's normal to have the "not submitted" in status next to LOR and MCAT? I know they were having LOR issues so I was half expecting that, but my official MCAT is attached to AACOMAS and is still not marked as recieved. Do I need to separately send my MCAT to MSUCOM?
Have you paid the fee? For me, and other people I've seen on here, the MCAT was marked as received after the secondary fee was paid.

After calling a few times and eventually contacting an advisor I've met with in the past, I was told that they actually do have my MCAT and that the incomplete MCAT score was a glitch on my end with my secondary account. They contacted their vendor I guess. This was wednesday or thursday of last week, it still tells me they don't have the MCAT. So maybe call them?

I will call! I guess it's expecting too much for this process to be seamless.

Waitlisted last cycle.....anyone happen to know what odds for past waitlisters are like for this cycle? I am in state.

Waitlisted last cycle.....anyone happen to know what odds for past waitlisters are like for this cycle? I am in state.
I'm not sure it is any different than the odds for regular applicants. It will definitely look good for you to improve upon your past deficiencies though. What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that depends! If you got feedback and have addressed/have plans to address any noted deficiencies in your application... then I would expect you might be in a decent spot.

I'm not sure it is any different than the odds for regular applicants. It will definitely look good for you to improve upon your past deficiencies though. What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?
Well, that depends! If you got feedback and have addressed/have plans to address any noted deficiencies in your application... then I would expect you might be in a decent spot.
The first year that I applied I did not get in. I then met with an advisor who said my MCAT was the only real potential problem. I then applied again and got waitlisted. My MCAT is a little low (24) but I already have an acceptance to KYCOM for next year so I will not be taking that again. I have another advising appointment soon but was just wondering if anybody has heard of being on the waitlist the year before helping.

My GPA is 3.56. Lots of extracurriculars, volunteer hours, hospital experience, and leadership.

The first year that I applied I did not get in. I then met with an advisor who said my MCAT was the only real potential problem. I then applied again and got waitlisted. My MCAT is a little low (24) but I already have an acceptance to KYCOM for next year so I will not be taking that again. I have another advising appointment soon but was just wondering if anybody has heard of being on the waitlist the year before helping.

My GPA is 3.56. Lots of extracurriculars, volunteer hours, hospital experience, and leadership.

Well don't even sweat it then, you're already in and no matter what school it is, you're on your way to becoming a doctor! I am also in state though, so I feel you on the desire to stay in-state and go to MSUCOM.

Last edited:
Well don't even sweat it then, you're already in and no matter what school it is, you're on your way to becoming a doctor! I am also in state though, so I feel you on the desire to stay in-state and go to MSUCOM.
I'm in the same boat as you guys. Wait listed last time through, re-took MCAT went from 24 to 30, added tons of clinical experience, Boosted GPA senior year. Hoping for better results this time.

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Wait listed last time through, re-took MCAT went from 24 to 30, added tons of clinical experience, Boosted GPA senior year. Hoping for better results this time.
Wow, 24 to 30 good work! I'm sitting at a 27 first time applicant, so I am really hoping for some love on the first go around.

Gotcha. Yes, I would say the 24 might certainly be a sticking point since the most recent averages I saw for the c/o 2019 were ~3.65 ~28. So the 24 is probably pushing a couple SD below the mean. That's not to say that numbers mean everything, but they're certainly important... and my impression (just anecdotally) is that the committee is more flexible with GPA ranges than they are with MCAT.

Basically, I don't think having been on the waitlist will help you in and of itself (if you haven't improved upon your application).

Good luck!!

Alright people just got off the phone with MSU. If you took the new MCAT, and your official was on your AACOMAS, MSUCOM does in fact have it. Their system just isn't showing the three digit scores on our end quite yet, but they have them. As for letters of rec, apparently they can take 2-3 weeks to show up as recieved.

Hey SpartanWolverine, I am really curious about one of the prompts. Iw as wondering if it was a trick question. I really cannot think of any other career paths if I really had to choose
4) If you had to choose a different career path what would that be? 250 words

What are your thoughts and suggestions

Hey SpartanWolverine, I am really curious about one of the prompts. Iw as wondering if it was a trick question. I really cannot think of any other career paths if I really had to choose

Thoughts: It's not a trick question -- they want to know more about you, your strengths, and what you're passionate about. I very much doubt anyone reading your application would think, "Yessss :naughty::vamp:... We tricked another sucker into actually writing about something else they want to do! They definitely don't want to be in medical school!" You know what I mean?

Suggestions: Just be thoughtful. Many of us have had prior careers/jobs/interests so there's nothing wrong with considering other paths. If anything, having broad interests and exposure is a positive. If you want to approach it as a "trick" question and say that medicine is the only field for you, then hey... that's probably fine too. Just make sure you write an essay that adds something to your overall application.

I wrote about being a chef and owning my own restaurant, because it's the true answer!

Last edited:
Having trouble answering the legacy question. Any suggestion how to start or what to write?

I talked about joining the military. I think they know your first desire is to be In medicine. I answered truthfully and I thought this was actually one of the more fun essay prompts out of all of the secondaries.

I talked about joining the military. I think they know your first desire is to be in medicine. I answered truthfully and I thought this was actually one of the more fun essay prompts out of all of the secondaries.

I am sorry if this is a silly question, but I am starting the secondary application now. It says the deadline is 8/27. I'm confused why that is. Everywhere else I have read says that the deadline is 12/1, so is this deadline made different for earlier applicants to keep the applications rolling in? I'm going to be completing it within the next two weeks anyway, but I just wanted to make sure I haven't done anything wrong.

Thank you for your help in advance!

I am sorry if this is a silly question, but I am starting the secondary application now. It says the deadline is 8/27. I'm confused why that is. Everywhere else I have read says that the deadline is 12/1, so is this deadline made different for earlier applicants to keep the applications rolling in? I'm going to be completing it within the next two weeks anyway, but I just wanted to make sure I haven't done anything wrong.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Nothing is wrong...they give you about a month to complete the secondary. This applies to everyone. If you are accepted by a certain date this fall, then you will have until december 1st to put down the $1,000 deposit for your spot in the class. This deposit date varies depending on when and if you are accepted.

Good Luck!

for those who have submitted their secondary but it is still showing as "incomplete", give it a couple of weeks. They usually go in and manually check if everything is complete and then mark the entire app complete. You will receive a confirmation email when its all done. It took me 24 days to get mine marked complete due to the AACOMAS reference letters.

for those who have submitted their secondary but it is still showing as "incomplete", give it a couple of weeks. They usually go in and manually check if everything is complete and then mark the entire app complete. You will receive a confirmation email when its all done. It took me 24 days to get mine marked complete due to the AACOMAS reference letters.
Mine was marked complete in one day.

Complete in ~3 days, looks like they are picking up the pace!

Maybe I just had a tough time with AACOMAS LOR service not working...

Does anyone who took the new mcat have theirs marked as complete yet?

Yeah, I used Interfolio so that is probably why.

Since you used Interfolio successfully, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me: on the secondary portal, it says "be sure to select the appropriate AACOMAS ID for the 2016 (XXXXXXX2016) application cycle" - does this just mean that I should tack -2016 onto the end of my regular AACOMAS ID? I'm ready to deliver my letters, but I just want to make sure they match quickly.

Since you used Interfolio successfully, I was wondering if you could answer a question for me: on the secondary portal, it says "be sure to select the appropriate AACOMAS ID for the 2016 (XXXXXXX2016) application cycle" - does this just mean that I should tack -2016 onto the end of my regular AACOMAS ID? I'm ready to deliver my letters, but I just want to make sure they match quickly.
I didn't add anything to mine. I just clicked the "I'd like to associate an ID with this delivery" on AACOMAS and it included my regular ID. My LOR's were marked received.

Thoughts: It's not a trick question -- they want to know more about you, your strengths, and what you're passionate about. I very much doubt anyone reading your application would think, "Yessss :naughty::vamp:... We tricked another sucker into actually writing about something else they want to do! They definitely don't want to be in medical school!" You know what I mean?

Suggestions: Just be thoughtful. Many of us have had prior careers/jobs/interests so there's nothing wrong with considering other paths. If anything, having broad interests and exposure is a positive. If you want to approach it as a "trick" question and say that medicine is the only field for you, then hey... that's probably fine too. Just make sure you write an essay that adds something to your overall application.
Thank you so much. very helpful suggestions

Sooooo I was marked AACOMAS verified 7/22 and haven't received a secondary yet, OOS applicant (OH) with 28 MCAT, 3.2 UG GPA and 4.0 grad GPA... Should I be getting nervous? :(

Sooooo I was marked AACOMAS verified 7/22 and haven't received a secondary yet, OOS applicant (OH) with 28 MCAT, 3.2 UG GPA and 4.0 grad GPA... Should I be getting nervous? :(
No, they do not screen and everyone gets one.

Hey! I was wondering if anyone had an incomplete still on their payment after they made a payment? I received an email I did payed, but still marked as incomplete and I can not submit it :(

II!!

II!! So excited!

EDIT: apparently they're doing an MMI style interview day? Oh boy, I just got a lot more nervous :barf:

Last edited: