Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Super jealous of all of you... MSUCOM is one of my top choices. Congrats and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II! Top choice school!

So you saw other people getting them, posted, and then got one after you posted? So you're saying there's hope?
Exactly! Right after I posted I got the email lol!

Reactions: 1 user
Exactly! Right after I posted I got the email lol!

II! First one! So happy!

Well, I'm pretty sure that you guys were probably complete before me. I had a lot of problems with LORs until I finally gave in and went with Interfolio. Congrats!!! Hopefully I'll be joining you soon

Reactions: 2 users
II here again, requested skype DOPhD interview (8/17) and on campus interview 9/11. Can't make Aug 21th b/c I will be at DMU that day. Good luck to all of the first day-ers. OOS from California, fly tickets are soooooo expensive (too bad I cannot combine DMU and MSU interview in one trip)

II just now!!! omg I can't believe it... it's my top choice school but I wasn't expecting to get an interview at all

8/21 bright and early. First MSU interview, my first MMI style interview and my dream school.....no pressure:D

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the 84K a year tuition for OOS include room and board? I just realized how expensive this school is wtf

anyone here scheduled for Sept 11th AM? You'll be seeing my lovely face that day :D

I scheduled for 9/11 PM. I have a broken foot right now and don't want to be gimping around campus. Going to read up on some MMI in the meantime. Does anybody know how many II's go out.

I scheduled for 9/11 PM. I have a broken foot right now and don't want to be gimping around campus. Going to read up on some MMI in the meantime. Does anybody know how many II's go out.
First year of interviews so I doubt that info would be easy to come by or estimate.

I realize this is an extremely neurotic question, but does anyone think interviewing in September would be less advantageous than interviewing in August?

I realize this is an extremely neurotic question, but does anyone think interviewing in September would be less advantageous than interviewing in August?
I would like to know this too!

Maybe just for location selection. I don't really know though.

No. I would say getting your secondary in early is most important -- since interview slots are relatively limited. Your interview date will matter much less.

indeed neurotic, they only interview 10-30 per day, how does these many people will affect your chance of getting accepted? Never to mention they may review applicants from different days together

indeed neurotic, they only interview 10-30 per day, how does these many people will affect your chance of getting accepted? Never to mention they may review applicants from different days together
My understanding is up to 30 morning group and 30 afternoon group applicants per interview day, but I could be wrong. What are your selection options in the portal?

My understanding is up to 30 morning group and 30 afternoon group applicants per interview day, but I could be wrong. What are your selection options in the portal?
Mine were Aug 21st or Sept 11th. There was a later date in September as well. Does this mean that they aren't interviewing other days?

AM session Aug. 21 and an AM or PM session Sep. 11

Yep! They already had my letters, finished inputting everything and submitted about ~11 hours ago!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Wow that's neat. My secondary was sent in on 7/13 but due to their problems getting my letters I wasn't complete until 7/25 :/

Wow that's neat. My secondary was sent in on 7/13 but due to their problems getting my letters I wasn't complete until 7/25 :/
Hang in there, you'll hopefully get one too! :)

Hang in there, you'll hopefully get one too! :)

They must have looked at my picture....
c1c7fb51a37b157c7adb53dde03a9689.jpg

@SpartanWolverine you probably already answered this but what location are you? Are you going to be one of the students at the interview?

just got an interview too! anyone know which airport is closest to fly into?

Flint (Bishop international airport) is significantly closer than Detroit if there are any flights through there.

great to know. thanks!

There is an airport right in Lansing- it's smaller so I'm not sure about the availability of good/cheap flights, but it could save you a lot of time in the car. Also, the Grand Rapids airport is about an hour away- a little further than Flint but closer than Detroit

I got my II this morning as well, and I'll be at the 9/11 afternoon session.

I live in East Lansing so I thought I'd help people out with travel plans.

Lansing Airport is by far the closest, but it can add a good $400 to your ticket, usually flying you from Detroit or Chicago to Lansing. If you come by Detroit, you can take the Michigan Flyer bus from the terminal to the East Lansing Marriott hotel (300 MAC avenue) which is located across the street from campus. The flyer costs about $50 for a round-trip ticket. It also has wi-fi and electrical plugs. It runs 13 times starting at 4:45am and ending at 7:15pm. You can reserve your seat online. http://www.michiganflyer.com/ScheduleRoute.aspx

If you stay at the Marriott you can take the #23 CATA bus to Fee Hall, but it doesn't run very often and you will have to walk a block or so to get to the correct stop (and take the #22 back to the hotel). I would recommend getting a cab and saving the hassle.

Other hotel options are:
Super 8 motel: 2736 E Grand River Ave. Still very close to MSU and on the cheaper side. The #1 CATA bus will get you into campus proper, and then you would have to switch to the #23.
The Gatehouse Suites: 1600 E Grand River Ave. Closer than the Super 8, slightly more expensive.
Wild Goose Inn: 512 Albert Ave. Walking distance from the Marriott. House turned B&B- let me know how it is if you stay here because I've never been inside it. They boast Jacuzzis. :)
Holiday Inn Express (2924 West Rd) and Hampton Inn (2500 Coolidge Rd): located north of campus right next to each other. The #24 CATA bus stops at the Meijer (gigantic grocery store) next to these, but it is a looooong ride to campus. By rental car or cab Fee Hall is 5 miles and 11 minutes away.

There are no close car rental options that I know of near the Marriott.

There are a lot of cab services and many drive mini or passenger vans. You may want to share a cab with another applicant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
I got my II this morning as well, and I'll be at the 9/11 afternoon session.

I live in East Lansing so I thought I'd help people out with travel plans.

Lansing Airport is by far the closest, but it can add a good $400 to your ticket, usually flying you from Detroit or Chicago to Lansing. If you come by Detroit, you can take the Michigan Flyer bus from the terminal to the East Lansing Marriott hotel (300 MAC avenue) which is located across the street from campus. The flyer costs about $50 for a round-trip ticket. It also has wi-fi and electrical plugs. It runs 13 times starting at 4:45am and ending at 7:15pm. You can reserve your seat online. http://www.michiganflyer.com/ScheduleRoute.aspx

If you stay at the Marriott you can take the #23 CATA bus to Fee Hall, but it doesn't run very often and you will have to walk a block or so to get to the correct stop (and take the #22 back to the hotel). I would recommend getting a cab and saving the hassle.

Other hotel options are:
Super 8 motel: 2736 E Grand River Ave. Still very close to MSU and on the cheaper side. The #1 CATA bus will get you into campus proper, and then you would have to switch to the #23.
The Gatehouse Suites: 1600 E Grand River Ave. Closer than the Super 8, slightly more expensive.
Wild Goose Inn: 512 Albert Ave. Walking distance from the Marriott. House turned B&B- let me know how it is if you stay here because I've never been inside it. They boast Jacuzzis. :)
Holiday Inn Express (2924 West Rd) and Hampton Inn (2500 Coolidge Rd): located north of campus right next to each other. The #24 CATA bus stops at the Meijer (gigantic grocery store) next to these, but it is a looooong ride to campus. By rental car or cab Fee Hall is 5 miles and 11 minutes away.

There are no close car rental options that I know of near the Marriott.

There are a lot of cab services and many drive mini or passenger vans. You may want to share a cab with another applicant.

Please let me know if you have any questions.
HI can you elaborate if uber covers east lansing area

According to the map on their website it will cover all the hotels I mentioned and all of campus. It also looks like it covers most of the livable areas you may want to check out while you're here.

+1 for the Michigan Flyer. I went to MSU for undergrad and would advise flying to Detroit and taking the Michigan Flyer. Flying into Lansing is pretty expensive.

II today as well! See you on 08/21.

II today!
In the email it says I could choose August 21st AM session or the September 11th AM session or PM session
However when I log in to choose, I am unable to select the august 21st date? I click on it, but then i cant choose AM or PM. Anyone else having this problem?

II today!
In the email it says I could choose August 21st AM session or the September 11th AM session or PM session
However when I log in to choose, I am unable to select the august 21st date? I click on it, but then i cant choose AM or PM. Anyone else having this problem?
It's probably full?