Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dear MSU,

If you're reading this, I just want you to know that I love you and that I'm ready for that II as soon as you are.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Dear MSU,

If you're reading this, I just want you to know that I love you and that I'm ready for that II as soon as you are.
Lol

They do read these forums though

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think it is taking longer than last year Dr. Patriot?
Just a guess so don't read to much into it.

I was in the first interview group last year but I believe we interviewed at the very end of August. This year you all interviewed earlier than we did (the day we all went on a break.)
We just got back from break today (this semester is going to be tough lol). My guess is now that everyone is back on campus things should start moving. Hopefully you hear back tomorrow or Thursday.

Again, just purely a guess.

Everyone needs to relax. I know it is the last thing you want to hear but just be patient, you'll all end up where you are meant to be.

Reactions: 6 users

I was in the first interview group last year but I believe we interviewed at the very end of August. This year you all interviewed earlier than we did (the day we all went on a break.)
We just got back from break today (this semester is going to be tough lol). My guess is now that everyone is back on campus things should start moving. Hopefully you hear back tomorrow or Thursday.

Everyone needs to relax. I know it is the last thing you want to hear but just be patient, you'll all end up where you are meant to be.

How is everything going for you so far?? I'd love to hear your thoughts on everything you've experience so far, and what you think of your specific campus as well?(I believe you're at the Detroit campus right?)

Thank you in advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Do they only accept students on tuesdays and thursdays or is that just whats been seen? Also would like to hear how things are going for you as well and how the program is suiting you! Thanks

How is everything going for you so far?? I'd love to hear your thoughts on everything you've experience so far, and what you think of your specific campus as well?(I believe you're at the Detroit campus right?)

Thank you in advanced!

So far so good! I'm enjoying it.

I did very well in anatomy this past summer semester but it was a lot of work! I was in the lab everyday for class and then I went to open lab most of the days and at least once on the weekends. weekends. I also found a group of people I work well with and we all stuck together throughout the semester which helped for me. Everyone had a different approach to studying but our whole class passed! (I believe that is the fourth year in a row the DMC site has had a 100% pass rate for anatomy?)

I am so happy I chose the Detroit site! Our DMC in-house faculty and staff are amazing and truly the nicest people who want us to succeed. Dr. H (the DMC anatomist) is the sweetest lady who fought on our behalf to, at times, help get just one more point on tests for us. Having a smaller class has been great. I know everyone well and we all are very comfortable asking each other questions and learning from each other. The second year students at our site have also been a tremendous asset. They have done so much to help our class succeed and even brought in baked goods after every test. I highly suggest coming and checking out our site if you haven't so already. Also when deciding a site after accepted, if you are offered a spot early in the cycle, put a deposit down for Detroit because it fills up the fastest and then you can always switch to one of the others.

We just had our first day of the fall semester yesterday and I think everyone in my class feels about a week behind lol. Our class load is 10 classes this semester and they all seem to be intense. Med school so far has been all about time management. The classes seem very hard but in some units I was able to sort of slack off more than others and it was fine. The biggest fear I had coming into this was, "what if all of these classes are way to hard and demanding and I can't do it?" When you no longer have any outside demands or distractions it is pretty amazing what you are capable of in the classroom.

So basically I am very happy with med school so far but is has come with a ton of work (I was up from 6am-12am yesterday and still didn't finish everything from day 1 of the Fall semester lol).

Wishing you all the best this cycle! I will answer any PM's or questions as fast as possible

Reactions: 5 users
So far so good! I'm enjoying it.

I did very well in anatomy this past summer semester but it was a lot of work! I was in the lab everyday for class and then I went to open lab most of the days and at least once on the weekends. weekends. I also found a group of people I work well with and we all stuck together throughout the semester which helped for me. Everyone had a different approach to studying but our whole class passed! (I believe that is the fourth year in a row the DMC site has had a 100% pass rate for anatomy?)

I am so happy I chose the Detroit site! Our DMC in-house faculty and staff are amazing and truly the nicest people who want us to succeed. Dr. H (the DMC anatomist) is the sweetest lady who fought on our behalf to, at times, help get just one more point on tests for us. Having a smaller class has been great. I know everyone well and we all are very comfortable asking each other questions and learning from each other. The second year students at our site have also been a tremendous asset. They have done so much to help our class succeed and even brought in baked goods after every test. I highly suggest coming and checking out our site if you haven't so already. Also when deciding a site after accepted, if you are offered a spot early in the cycle, put a deposit down for Detroit because it fills up the fastest and then you can always switch to one of the others.

We just had our first day of the fall semester yesterday and I think everyone in my class feels about a week behind lol. Our class load is 10 classes this semester and they all seem to be intense. Med school so far has been all about time management. The classes seem very hard but in some units I was able to sort of slack off more than others and it was fine. The biggest fear I had coming into this was, "what if all of these classes are way to hard and demanding and I can't do it?" When you no longer have any outside demands or distractions it is pretty amazing what you are capable of in the classroom.

So basically I am very happy with med school so far but is has come with a ton of work (I was up from 6am-12am yesterday and still didn't finish everything from day 1 of the Fall semester lol).

Wishing you all the best this cycle! I will answer any PM's or questions as fast as possible

That's great to hear! I'm glad you're doing well in class and have gotten into the groove of things so quickly!

I've actually heard similar things about Macomb, regarding the positive aspects of a small class. That's awesome that everyone's so helpful, I definitely get that vibe from the staff members at MSUCOM that I've met so far! I'm for sure going to have to tour all of the sites once I get a chance.

Thank you for your response and advice, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well today is an elaborate day...filet mignon with bleu cheese mushroom sauce, pierogis, asparagus and cheesecake for dessert :)

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO im hungry all of a sudden, for the greater good of the stomachs of the students at MSUCOM i pray you get in lol

I can't take it anymore!!! All I do at work is lurk on this thread and hope for a call. Wish I never checked last year's thread because I thought we all would have heard back by 08/25.

I can't take it anymore!!! All I do at work is lurk on this thread and hope for a call. Wish I never checked last year's thread because I thought we all would have heard back by 08/25.
Me too, I regret stalking the thread so hard

Reactions: 1 users

Coffee makes me poop as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey everyone! I'm a first year student here at MSUCOM and totally understand all of the feelings and questions you may have during this process! Please feel free to ask me any questions here or privately. I was a reapplicant with previously being on the waitlist so feel free to ask me anything about that as well :). Good luck and hope to see you all here next year!

Completed on 08/06/16.

II on 08/12/16.

MSU's DO program is really awesome. They do take about 300 students (I think), which is pretty huge. So I guess, patience is key. Really excited about the interview!

Hey! Hopefully one of the current MSUCOM students can answer this! I am writing my MCAT on September 10th and will complete my application by mid-Septemberish. I am also a Canadian citizen. How much would rolling admission affect my timeline? Please do help, thanks! Really really want to get in!

Hey! Hopefully one of the current MSUCOM students can answer this! I am writing my MCAT on September 10th and will complete my application by mid-Septemberish. I am also a Canadian citizen. How much would rolling admission affect my timeline? Please do help, thanks! Really really want to get in!
I'm in the same boat as well, wrote the MCAT on Aug 5 and am waiting on the results. Would love to hear other people's input

I was complete 6/30 yet people are getting interviews after submitting this month haha! A tad disheartening esp. since I have received no interviews from anywhere, but this school is one of my top choices so I am just ready for any news at this point.

At the same time, its been ~60 days since applying and I know thats usually the period where students ask the admissions office for updates on their apps. etc., would anyone here recommend doing that (Im not really sure if they have a policy on giving out admission updates so it might be a waste)? Or should I just give it another month before calling?

What do you guys mean you wrote the mcat?

I'm in the same boat as well, wrote the MCAT on Aug 5 and am waiting on the results. Would love to hear other people's input

I think in Canada they say write/wrote instead of took. It always throws me off!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! Sorry for the thread notification, as I know all of you are anxiously awaiting to hear about any acceptances/ new IIs, but I just wanted to drop in and say that if anyone has any questions about the East Lansing site, I would be happy to answer to the best of my ability! I am a current OMS1 here at MSUCOM and I would love to help out you guys like last years students helped me through the application cycle!

I'm a Canadian in the 2020 class. I wasn't complete until early-mid Oct. You should get your MCAT mark back around early Oct, which is when you should be complete if your secondary is already in. I received a II 2-3 weeks later and I attended the interview sometime in Dec. By the time I received my offer in Jan i think i was the 24th or 25th Canadian in the total of 25 MSU takes.

Does that give you some perspective?

I do want to add that my Dec interview wasn't the earliest option available. I had a conflict that forced me to attend a later interview, pushing me back.

Got my fingers crossed for those of you waiting for the call! I just had a quick question about the MCAT. Does MSUCOM give out IIs if you already have an MCAT score on file, and are waiting for the result for your 2nd exam? My file is complete, but I retook the MCAT on 8/25 and was curious to know if they wait for your new score before they invite you to interview.

Got my fingers crossed for those of you waiting for the call! I just had a quick question about the MCAT. Does MSUCOM give out IIs if you already have an MCAT score on file, and are waiting for the result for your 2nd exam? My file is complete, but I retook the MCAT on 8/25 and was curious to know if they wait for your new score before they invite you to interview.

Hey Bob! My guess is that it would depend on what your old score was & if you listed on there that you were scheduled to retake. From what I've been told, the admissions committee looks at your application AFTER you have interviewed & to get an II, is more of a screening process

I'm not sure if this school specifically does it, I would def call and ask, but depending on your first score they may wait. At the interview they told us that they review your entire application before they send an II and then afterwards when making a final decision, hope this helps:)

That's my situation. I have a 28 from 2013 and a pending score that will be released September 20. I have already received an II.

I wonder if anyone not on SDN heard back already...
I've been wondering that too! I'm so glad they specified that the speed you hear back has nothing to do with the decision, only the speed of your assigned reviewer, or else I'd really be losing it.

I've been wondering that too! I'm so glad they specified that the speed you hear back has nothing to do with the decision, only the speed of your assigned reviewer, or else I'd really be losing it.
I really don't think anyone has heard back yet though!

Yeah I don't think anyone has. My anxiety got the best of me and I emailed admissions, and the secretary sent me a generic "you will hear back within 30 days" email. Womp womp.

Yeah I don't think anyone has. My anxiety got the best of me and I emailed admissions, and the secretary sent me a generic "you will hear back within 30 days" email. Womp womp.

agh. really hoping it doesn't actually take the full 30 days to hear back. my anxiety can't handle that right now:uhno:

Ok guys today is the day, I can feel it! :soexcited: