Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Deposit paid and site selected. SPARTY ONNNN

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Deposit paid and site selected. SPARTY ONNNN
WOW that was fast. Detroit?

Also, does anyone know how one goes about attending an accepted student tour? I would really like to see the DMC site.

Reactions: 1 users

Also, does anyone know how one goes about attending an accepted student tour? I would really like to see the DMC site.

Only instate school I applied to so made it a quick easy choice hah. Yep, Detroit! Are you still thinking Detroit if you choose to attend?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only instate school I applied to so made it a quick easy choice hah. Yep, Detroit! Are you still thinking Detroit if you choose to attend?

I will probably go with east lansing. I have spent the past 1.5 years going to school in Detroit and I am over the traffic!!

Not sure how you go about scheduling this but I did a tour of the sites as an MSU undergraduate 2 years ago through our Pre-SOMA club. The DMC site had a great OMM floor and is nice if you enjoy being close to Detroit sporting events. The Macomb campus is the newest with many Tele-conference screens and the nicest library and computer and anatomy labs. EL is obviously the oldest and I've heard the cadaver/anatomy lab is not the best of the three. The class is larger than the other two (150 vs 50) but of course you have Spartan Stadium and the Breslin Center in your backyard :).

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody know when they're going to start doing the "meet the sites" stuff and tours for non-accepted/applicants/people interested? I believe I was told there'd be one in I think September and meet the sites in October(maybe?)

I hate all of you. In a jealously but happy for you good way ;) Congrats to everyone! Hopefully they give me a chance! I'm surprised they let @femmegoblue in with that username:rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
I can also attest to the "traffic" that @femmegoblue speaks of. It can be annoying at best and infuriating at worst in the metro Detroit area. I have grown up/lived in the Novi area for the past 18 years and I swear there are more and more cars that travel 96E/I-275/I-696. Not too big a deal if you're actually staying downtown or near the campus itself though.

Here's to hoping tomorrows the day for the rest of us!

They will email you with that info soon
Anybody know when they're going to start doing the "meet the sites" stuff and tours for non-accepted/applicants/people interested? I believe I was told there'd be one in I think September and meet the sites in October(maybe?)

I believe it was really late September/early October the last two years. Always on a Saturday for "See the Sites"

Congrats to everyone on the great news and welcome to MSUCOM! Feel free to reach out with questions, especially about the DMC.

They will email you with that info soon

I believe it was really late September/early October the last two years. Always on a Saturday for "See the Sites"
It's October 29!

It's October 29!
Ok well I went to accepted student day before see the sites because I remember last year I just took my girlfriend to check out the campus on see the sites day. You should be getting an email soon about signing up to check out the sites

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED yesterday. got the call at around 10am (they left a voicemail- wasn't able to answer because I was in another interview).

Reactions: 4 users
Kind of weird we hear back at different times.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that each of our files are given to a reviewer who reviews our file and then the committee votes on our decision. So everyone who already heard back was probably assigned the speedier reviewers, who finished their files before Tuesday, while ours were not yet complete. Then I'm assuming someone in admissions calls everyone with the decisions in batches based on which files are complete at that point.

So while I don't think not hearing back yet is any indication of the news, it is maddening to not yet know our decision! So jealous of everyone who already heard back, it must be a huge relief.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that each of our files are given to a reviewer who reviews our file and then the committee votes on our decision. So everyone who already heard back was probably assigned the speedier reviewers, who finished their files before Tuesday, while ours were not yet complete. Then I'm assuming someone in admissions calls everyone with the decisions in batches based on which files are complete at that point.

So while I don't think not hearing back yet is any indication of the news, it is maddening to not yet know our decision! So jealous of everyone who already heard back, it must be a huge relief.
Yup, that's exactly what Dr. Ruger said! The people who heard back yesterday were probably just assigned to people who got theirs done quicker. And I gotta say, it's nice seeing that "Admissions Offer" tab on the portal :)

Yup, that's exactly what Dr. Ruger said! The people who heard back yesterday were probably just assigned to people who got theirs done quicker. And I gotta say, it's nice seeing that "Admissions Offer" tab on the portal :)
I bet!! To make it better, getting that first call is the stuff of dreams :love:

I'm still waiting for an II.................. Come on guys don't rub it in:unsure: were all of you that already interviewed complete early? Has anyone that were complete early not gotten an II? I'm IS 3.6 sgpa and 3.75 cgpa, 512 mcat (2nd attempt). Maybe my unprofessional photo is holding me back:(

I'm still waiting for an II.................. Come on guys don't rub it in:unsure: were all of you that already interviewed complete early? Has anyone that were complete early not gotten an II? I'm IS 3.6 sgpa and 3.75 cgpa, 512 mcat (2nd attempt). Maybe my unprofessional photo is holding me back:(

I was complete 7/12: IS, 511, 3.7. Have not heard anything since submitting.

My photo was an iPhone pic that my girlfriend took in poor lighting and I have an II. So I doubt it matters.

I was complete 7/12: IS, 511, 3.7. Have not heard anything since submitting.

Those crickets are so loud aren't they... Seriously though hats off to anyone that has an acceptance this early regardless of the school. I haven't heard of anyone even during my undergrad having acceptances this early in the process!

Complete 6/30... NOT. A. WORD.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

It makes me wonder if there is like a raffle for the order they review applications. No doubt the applicants that have gotten in are strong but just makes me curious how it all goes down in the admissions office. Obviously it's not solely on order of presentation/complete date. Who knows! Regardless, I still have high hopes.

^none of that was negatively toned towards admission committees or how they conduct their jobs. I'm purely just curious how the whole ordeal works!

Just officially withdrew at like 20 schools. Man that feels good!

Reactions: 4 users
Just officially withdrew at like 20 schools. Man that feels good!
Now relax and enjoy the best part, telling everyone you got in and not having to worry about a thing! I really wish now that I relaxed a little before this all started!

Now relax and enjoy the best part, telling everyone you got in and not having to worry about a thing! I really wish now that I relaxed a little before this all started!
I am already so excited to get started, but I know I might regret that come june!

I am already so excited to get started, but I know I might regret that come june!
You definitely will. Please don't pre-study a thing. Start planning some trips and enjoy your time.

II yesterday!!! :joyful:

Thank you, MSUCOM. OOS LizzyM ~69

I chose October 18th. Looks like I may be the first scheduled for that day?

II yesterday!!! :joyful:

Thank you, MSUCOM. OOS LizzyM ~69

I chose October 18th. Looks like I may be the first scheduled for that day?
My buddy got an II this past Tuesday and he scheduled that date, sorry! Don't mean to rain on your parade :(

He was complete during the first week of August for those wondering, he is a non-traditional though

It looks like it is going to be quiet today as well. Please call me MSU!!!

Still waiting to hear back I definitely thought today would be the day.

Is there some sort of Facebook group or something for class of 2021 ? How does that work who makes it
Thanks !

Is there some sort of Facebook group or something for class of 2021 ? How does that work who makes it
Thanks !
One of you who is accepted just makes it and then you get the ball rolling on here. Most of our class will join your group too in order to help you out or answer questions.

One of you who is accepted just makes it and then you get the ball rolling on here. Most of our class will join your group too in order to help you out or answer questions.
Ok fam I'll make it!

If you've been accepted, or are a current student, and wanna join the fb group PM me! I need one other person besides myself to be a member before I can create it.

Is anyone else's portal acting up today?

Congrats! When were you complete

Thank you! My file was complete August 18th.

My buddy got an II this past Tuesday and he scheduled that date, sorry! Don't mean to rain on your parade :(

He was complete during the first week of August for those wondering, he is a non-traditional though

Oh cool, good to know. And no worries. No one could rain on my parade even if they wanted to! lol

I'm non-traditional as well. :)