Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today at 11 am Michigan time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've see two people complete the same day as me get IIs. I haven't gotten anything. Should this worry me?

Has anyone who interviewed on the 19th been waitlisted?

Also, what are some stats for those recently accepted?

To the people who already had their interview, was there a station where you were asked traditional interview questions (why MUSCOM? why medicine? etc). Also, was there role-playing or was it all just talking? Knowing what to expect just reduces the anxiety.
Thank you.

To the people who already had their interview, was there a station where you were asked traditional interview questions (why MUSCOM? why medicine? etc). Also, was there role-playing or was it all just talking? Knowing what to expect just reduces the anxiety.
Thank you.
We signed an NDA, and can't reveal any info from the MMI!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got my hardcopy admissions letter in the mail :) It's real!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed already, I know you are able to interact with current students, alumni, faculty, etc. So I'm assuming they take you on a tour and what not? Do you get to eat food or anything like that?

For those who have interviewed already, I know you are able to interact with current students, alumni, faculty, etc. So I'm assuming they take you on a tour and what not? Do you get to eat food or anything like that?
You go on a tour lead by 1 & 2 year students after the brief student panel. And no, no real food. It's a quick in and out interview, so I was famished after and went to Red Cedar Cafe!

Has anyone else's portal been giving the 500 Error for the past few days? I tried checking for the past few days and it always just gives the 500 error. :( Also, does MSU email you guys about the interview invite or do you check the portal for that information? I'm so confused!

PS. I'm a long time lurker - congrats to everyone who's gotten the acceptance from MSUCOM! What an exciting sigh of relief!!! :)

Has anyone else's portal been giving the 500 Error for the past few days? I tried checking for the past few days and it always just gives the 500 error. :( Also, does MSU email you guys about the interview invite or do you check the portal for that information? I'm so confused!
You'll get an email as well as an update in the portal! My portal showed the error for about a day, but has been fixed since then. If no one else is having continued problems I might consider calling them tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 user
i still have the error issue. for me it started as early as thursday...not sure if it started even earlier. I've tried every day since and still not fixed

for those of you accepted, which site are you choosing and why? caught in between DMC and EL, not sure which one to choose.

And also, is anyone else going to see the sites day in October?

for those of you accepted, which site are you choosing and why? caught in between DMC and EL, not sure which one to choose.

I will 98% be choosing EL, but I plan on going to see the sites at the DMC that day just to be sure! I have seen Macomb, it's RIGHT across the streets from my mom & dad's house.

I will 98% be choosing EL, but I plan on going to see the sites at the DMC that day just to be sure! I have seen Macomb, it's RIGHT across the streets from my mom & dad's house.

I'm like 70% EL because I've been in Detroit for a longgg time now and kinda want to live on a Big 10 campus for a couple years + I like the idea of a bigger class size, but I do have a soft spot for midtown Detroit...and I'm a foodie so theres that:rolleyes:

I'm like 70% EL because I've been in Detroit for a longgg time now and kinda want to live on a Big 10 campus for a couple years + I like the idea of a bigger class size, but I do have a soft spot for midtown Detroit...and I'm a foodie so theres that:rolleyes:
I am SO sick of being in Detroit (basically the traffic + cost) and I am excited to get back onto a campus where I don't have to drive everywhere. I love the food in Detroit, but we can go on hunts to find some gems in the EL and Lansing area!

Reactions: 2 users

I'm also torn between the two! I've lived in EL for over 4 years now so I'm not sure if it's time for a change or if I should stick to what I know and love.

Are you waiting for see the sites to put down a deposit and pick one?

I'm also torn between the two! I've lived in EL for over 4 years now so I'm not sure if it's time for a change or if I should stick to what I know and love.

Are you waiting for see the sites to put down a deposit and pick one?

Yeah I think I'm going to wait to see the sites before making a decision. I know DMC fills up the fastest, but I heard that we should be okay if we wait till late October.

And yes I know what you mean! I love Detroit but I've been going to school/working down here for 4+ years. Maybe its time for a change?

Yeah I think I'm going to wait to see the sites before making a decision. I know DMC fills up the fastest, but I heard that we should be okay if we wait till late October.

And yes I know what you mean! I love Detroit but I've been going to school/working down here for 4+ years. Maybe its time for a change?
Good to know! I may do the same, I really want to see the DMC site before making my choice.

I am SO sick of being in Detroit (basically the traffic + cost) and I am excited to get back onto a campus where I don't have to drive everywhere. I love the food in Detroit, but we can go on hunts to find some gems in the EL and Lansing area!

Can confirm that if you look hard enough you can find quite a few foodie gems in EL, then if you want quantity and quality Brody cafe is ranked like #1 cafe in the nation or something!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Who did you email/send it to?
Honestly you should only send one if you want to or feel it is the polite thing to do. As many people who were recently got accepted did not send thank you's, it likely has no impact on your admission decision at all.

After my interview day, I was compelled to reach out and thank some of the people that made a significant impact on my experience, so I found the appropriate contact information on the MSUCOM website.

Not trying to be rude or preachy, just trying to get across that it is totally up to you who to contact or if to contact them at all after you interview.

Honestly you should only send one if you want to or feel it is the polite thing to do. As many people who were recently got accepted did not send thank you's, it likely has no impact on your admission decision at all.

After my interview day, I was compelled to reach out and thank some of the people that made a significant impact on my experience, so I found the appropriate contact information on the MSUCOM website.

Not trying to be rude or preachy, just trying to get across that it is totally up to you who to contact or if to contact them at all after you interview.
Agreed. Thank you notes are nice - and are read by admissions and shared with your interviewers - but they are in no way expected or affect your application.

Agreed. Thank you notes are nice - and are read by admissions and shared with your interviewers - but they are in no way expected or affect your application.
Tbh I just did it because I have pretty new personalized stationary I wanted to try.

Reactions: 3 users

Totally agree. It slipped my mind to send one for this interview. Rookie mistake. Totally regret it now, especially as I watch the days fly by since 08/19 without a peep from MSUCOM!

Totally agree. It slipped my mind to send one for this interview. Rookie mistake. Totally regret it now, especially as I watch the days fly by since 08/19 without a peep from MSUCOM!

I wouldn't stress too much, its like the others said, do it if you feel as though you genuinely want to thank them, if not, it doesn't get counted against you. If you interviewed well and the rest of your app is in good shape, I'm confident in you! :soexcited:

So I have been complete since July 1st. Should I call the school?

Anyone else planning on attending the accepted student tour at the DMC next Friday the 23rd? I will be there!

Does anybody know if there are other tours besides the "see the sites" for non-accepted students? I currently have an interview scheduled on the same day as "see the sites" but I still really wanna check out the facilities!

Does anybody know if there are other tours besides the "see the sites" for non-accepted students? I currently have an interview scheduled on the same day as "see the sites" but I still really wanna check out the facilities!

You can contact Anne Snyder directly for a tour. I did that last year for a tour of MUC :) It was a one on one tour + an advising session!

When you interview they take you on a tour of the EL campus, but if you're interested in DMC/Macomb I'm sure they'll have other see the sites dates. You should make an advising appointment and list that you want to tour the campus, sometimes the advisors can connect you with a quick tour that day!

You can contact Anne Snyder directly for a tour. I did that last year for a tour of MUC :) It was a one on one tour + an advising session!

When you interview they take you on a tour of the EL campus, but if you're interested in DMC/Macomb I'm sure they'll have other see the sites dates. You should make an advising appointment and list that you want to tour the campus, sometimes the advisors can connect you with a quick tour that day!

That's awesome! Thank you guys! I recently did an advising appointment with Anne so I may hold off for a bit as I'm sure they're very busy, but I'll definitely try and schedule either a MUC or DMC one this fall! Very interested to see what those two newer campuses have to offer.

That's awesome! Thank you guys! I recently did an advising appointment with Anne so I may hold off for a bit as I'm sure they're very busy, but I'll definitely try and schedule either a MUC or DMC one this fall! Very interested to see what those two newer campuses have to offer.

MUC is definitely the nicest, everything is brand new and shiny!