Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do students change sites? Can they?
Yes they can but it isn't common and only happens if there is room at another site/extraordinary reasons.

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy

I'll be interviewing for both the DO and DO-PhD programs imminently. Anyone have feedback or essential info regarding the dual degree program interview?

Reactions: 1 users
II! I had written off this school because I'm OOS. I'm leaning towards attending this, but the OOS tuition terrifies me. Does anyone have any insight into how OOS students manage?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would be in your boat if I was OOS. I thought CCOM was bad but daaaaaaaaaang. thats 80k tuition

Members don't see this ad :)
technically I didnt. You said 80k tuition, I said highest of all :p

Technically im confused and really don't care that much ahaha :highfive:

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster; just got my II yesterday morning (September 26th) :) I was completed July 18th and am a Canadian Applicant

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone on here interviewing tomorrow?

Anyone on here interviewing tomorrow?

I am interviewing tomorrow. Must be in East Fee Hall by 8:45 AM. I went to MSU undergrad if you (or anyone else) has questions about parking or anything.

Howdy

I'll be interviewing for both the DO and DO-PhD programs imminently. Anyone have feedback or essential info regarding the dual degree program interview?

Almost everything you need to know about the D.O./PhD. program can be found here. It is nice to know that they have the most amount of funding from the NIH for research (osteopathic programs). :)

http://com.msu.edu/DO-PhD-Program/index.htm

Last edited:
Can OOS students get in state tuition after the first year? I love this school but not a chance in hell I pay that OOS tuition for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can OOS students get in state tuition after the first year? I love this school but not a chance in hell I pay that OOS tuition for 4 years.

Sadly i do not believe so. I believe @SpartanWolverine spoke about it earlier, its something like 12 months in the state but if youre enrolled in a graduate school it doesnt count for citizenship.

Edit: whoops meant residency not citizenship lol

I believe they do have scholarships though!

No, unfortunately you can't establish residency at all according to state of Michigan law I believe.

They do give out scholarships to OOS students to bring the tuition down to about ~$60-65k I believe

No, unfortunately you can't establish residency at all according to state of Michigan law I believe.

They do give out scholarships to OOS students to bring the tuition down to about ~$60-65k I believe

Are they given to all OOS students?

Are they given to all OOS students?
I don't know if I can definitely say all...but I do believe a lot do. They also have Canadian assistance scholarships.

This would be a great question for admissions.

Question: My secondary was complete August 8th. However, during that time I applied with my old MCAT score and my new MCAT score was released to me on August 23rd. I still have not received a rejection, waitlist, or interview invite from MSU. Is that normal or should I call MSU to inquire about it? Stats: 506 MCAT and cGPA 3.94, Canadian applicant. Thank you for any help

Question: My secondary was complete August 8th. However, during that time I applied with my old MCAT score and my new MCAT score was released to me on August 23rd. I still have not received a rejection, waitlist, or interview invite from MSU. Is that normal or should I call MSU to inquire about it? Stats: 506 MCAT and cGPA 3.94, Canadian applicant. Thank you for any help

I got my score August 22nd and was verified "forwarded for review" in mid July. I received an II two days ago. Don't worry about it!

Send an email regarding your updated McAT though for sure.

Interview day today was great! The MMI is unlike anything I've experienced before, but I think its a good way to get to know us. Love this school, really hoping for the best! Good luck to everyone I hope you all hear good news soon whether it be II or an acceptance!!!

Reactions: 7 users
So I decided that ultimately, this school is too good to pass up on the interview over tuition concerns, but I wasn't planning on going on any more interviews this cycle and didn't do any MMI prep for any previous interviews. Can anyone recommend any good prep books/ways to prep? Also, can any accepted students or current students shed some light on how the scholarship process works? How soon after acceptance would you know if you are offered any kind of scholarship? Thanks for you help everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
So I decided that ultimately, this school is too good to pass up on the interview over tuition concerns, but I wasn't planning on going on any more interviews this cycle and didn't do any MMI prep for any previous interviews. Can anyone recommend any good prep books/ways to prep? Also, can any accepted students or current students shed some light on how the scholarship process works? How soon after acceptance would you know if you are offered any kind of scholarship? Thanks for you help everyone!
I just interviewed today and I can confidently say no amount of prep would have helped with the MSU MMI. Just be yourself, bring in your personal experiences when appropriate, and then move on to the next station.

I did a few practice MMI questions I found online just to get an idea. Prepared for a half hour max and everything went great! I know it's repetitive and doesn't seem helpful, but genuinely just be yourself. If you care about people, it will show :)

I just interviewed today and I can confidently say no amount of prep would have helped with the MSU MMI. Just be yourself, bring in your personal experiences when appropriate, and then move on to the next station.

And now we wait...

I would recommend a book called "Multi-mini interview for the mind" It posed a lot of good hypothetical scenarios and sample answers on ways to respond. I would say the book prepared me in the sense that it gave me an idea of what to expect

I prepped WAY too much. Read a bunch of books, did a bunch of practice questions, blah blah and ALL of it was unnecessary. Just be thoughtful, respectful, and a good human.

You have to apply for scholarships via an online form and a short essay - though I'm unsure if OOS students have to apply or if they're just offered an out-of-state scholarship. Typically those have to be submitted by mid-January to be considered for the upcoming year, and scholarship offers start getting sent on a rolling basis during January, February, and March. There are several million dollars available each year for students so I always encourage people to apply since there's plenty to go around. You can contact Dr. Falls (dean of student services) if you have any questions about scholarships!

Dr. Falls: [email protected]
Scholarship information: http://www.com.msu.edu/Students/Financial_Aid/Scholarships.htm

Hi guys! I need some advice...
I submitted my AACOMAS application mid-August. I know it's late, but I waited for my MCAT results to come out before applying. However, I still haven't gotten a secondary app. invite. I am a Canadian student and here's my stats:
cGPA:3.4/MCAT:504
I know that I don't have a strong academic profile, but I do have some good extracurriculars to back-up my application.
Since I still haven't gotten an invite, does this mean I'm rejected? Are late supplementary invites common among Canadian applicants?
Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!

I submitted my AACOMAS application mid-August. I know it's late, but I waited for my MCAT results to come out before applying. However, I still haven't gotten a secondary app. invite. I am a Canadian student and here's my stats:
I know that I don't have a strong academic profile, but I do have some good extracurriculars to back-up my application.
Since I still haven't gotten an invite, does this mean I'm rejected? Are late supplementary invites common among Canadian applicants?

I believe everyone receives a secondary application regardless of geographical status. Has your primary application been completely verified? You won't begin to receive secondary invites until it has been verified by AACOMAS. Not receiving a secondary certainly doesn't mean you're rejected, you must have the chance to complete a secondary application for full file review.

I am Canadian as well and was told that the average GPA and MCAT for matriculating Canadian students is 3.5-3.6 and 506-508, respectively. However, they will consider your extracurriculars as well.

You can try emailing the admissions office to get a scope of when you might be receiving your secondary.

I bet the secondary is in your spam folder.

Interviewed here on 9/29. Found the MMI not at all unpleasant and perhaps even an opportunity to display traits not detected on the application and standard interview. Now we wait.

I bet the secondary is in your spam folder.
I have checked all my folders with the search term 'Michigan' including spam and trash folders, but haven't found anything. I really hope that I will receive a secondary because MSUCOM is the school I am aiming for :(

I have checked all my folders with the search term 'Michigan' including spam and trash folders, but haven't found anything. I really hope that I will receive a secondary because MSUCOM is the school I am aiming for :(

Try contacting admissions?

When were you verified? Have you received other secondaries? Is your MCAT score official and has been released from AAMC?

If everything is correct with your app I agree that you should contact admissions

I'm OOS but I've been researching the school lately and I feel the school is a good fit for me. I got a secondary invite, but I'm a bit hesitant to send it in due to the IS bias. What type of numbers are usually the norm to get an OOS II? My numbers are on my sig, just wondering if I'm competitive enough to at least get considered.

I'm OOS but I've been researching the school lately and I feel the school is a good fit for me. I got a secondary invite, but I'm a bit hesitant to send it in due to the IS bias. What type of numbers are usually the norm to get an OOS II? My numbers are on my sig, just wondering if I'm competitive enough to at least get considered.
Your MCAT is more than okay to be considered. I think that if your GPA also shows an upward trend, that stands out a ton to the adcoms.

Take a chance and apply, if you have a very well-rounded app then MSUCOM will be very considerate (esp with personal statement, LOR, secondary essay quality).

Edit: This is what I was told, so take it with a grain of salt, good luck!

Your MCAT is more than okay to be considered. I think that if your GPA also shows an upward trend, that stands out a ton to the adcoms.

Take a chance and apply, if you have a very well-rounded app then MSUCOM will be very considerate (esp with personal statement, LOR, secondary essay quality).

Edit: This is what I was told, so take it with a grain of salt, good luck!
GPA trend is really shaky. 4.0 in 40 credits junior year, but pretty large decline senior year, even though I didn't take too many classes and became part-time (took 2 years). Honestly, this decline scares me most to the point that I won't get any acceptance at all this cycle. :(
Hopefully, they can overlook that point by seeing my dedication to healthcare (volunteering and scribing hours over 3000) and decent MCAT score and C/P subsection to mitigate the downward performance in a certain pre-req (eff you Physics!).

Just saw that official White Coat is June 16, so excited :p

How strict is MSU with the MCAT ? I have a good GPA + ECs but my MCAT is def on the lower side

How strict is MSU with the MCAT ? I have a good GPA + ECs but my MCAT is def on the lower side
I mean, what's "lower side". I would say you need to be >500 to be in striking distance.

Any acceptances today? Seems like they make calls Tuesday and Friday. Good luck to all waiting for "the call," anxiety levels at the max rn :sick::yuck::xf::xf:

Hey hopeful future Spartans

Interviewed on 9/29 for DO and DO-PhD. Anyone have an idea of when we could hear back for the DO program? Have an absolutely delightful day.

Hey hopeful future Spartans

Interviewed on 9/29 for DO and DO-PhD. Anyone have an idea of when we could hear back for the DO program? Have an absolutely delightful day.
For me, I interviewed on 8/19 and got accepted on 9/6. So a little over two weeks! But I definitely think they do take the full 4 weeks for some people, so it really just depends on your committee member that is assigned to your file.

For me, I interviewed on 8/19 and got accepted on 9/6. So a little over two weeks! But I definitely think they do take the full 4 weeks for some people, so it really just depends on your committee member that is assigned to your file.
did you interview in the morning or afternoon?