Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL looks like I will be the only person there on the 19???

Hoping so badly I get an invite to join you! Go blue as well:)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted June 23 and haven't heard anything yet...3.5 sGPA, 3.5 oGPA, 4.0 gradGPA (+publications), 504 mcat. Canadian though...hopefully I hear soon, dream school!!!
Congrats to those that have heard so far. :)

I submitted June 23 and haven't heard anything yet...3.5 sGPA, 3.5 oGPA, 4.0 gradGPA (+publications), 504 mcat. Canadian though...hopefully I hear soon, dream school!!!

When were you "complete"?

Says it was complete June 24 and that I'll be notified when the review process I complete

So for the AACOMAS primary, what would be considered "late" application wise?

I probably won't get AACOMAS verified till August because it takes a while for it to say "received" for transcripts, and I'm sending them out from multiple schools.

I think I'm gonna prewrite the secondary.

So for the AACOMAS primary, what would be considered "late" application wise?

I probably won't get AACOMAS verified till August because it takes a while for it to say "received" for transcripts, and I'm sending them out from multiple schools.

I think I'm gonna prewrite the secondary.
Goro says as long as you've got your secondaries in before Thanksgiving, you good!

Oh shhhiii....I just logged on to see if they had gotten my Committee letter yet and realized I never actually submitted the secondary. Well, I guess I will have a decent amount of time to wait now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys! I'm also a BMS student!

For those that got back application complete emails, how did you send in your letters of recommendation? Do they accept AACOMAS letters?

Thanks!
I'm also a BMS student @ WSU! Good luck if you're applying this cycle!

Oh trust me, I know you are. Keep me posted on how the cycle goes bro. See you In schoeners class!

Hi guys, love this school but I noticed that they accept 86% instate. I am from Massachusetts so I am wondering I even have a shot at this school. 3.88 Gpa, 506 mcat.

I am considering visiting this school to show my interest, but that would cost me like $500.

@femmegoblue , how long after you submitted the secondary did your letters of recommendation get cleared?
Well, it was the 27 that I emailed them and asked them if they had my LOR. After that email, my app was "completed" within an hour. It was like 2 days after I actually submitted. I would say if it's been more than a work week and they still show up as an X in the portal, shoot admissions and email.

Well, it was the 27 that I emailed them and asked them if they had my LOR. After that email, my app was "completed" within an hour. It was like 2 days after I actually submitted. I would say if it's been more than a work week and they still show up as an X in the portal, shoot admissions and email.

Thanks. I will definitely be sending an email or call tomorrow morning. Are you the only one so far that has gotten anything? Seems quiet.

Hi guys, love this school but I noticed that they accept 86% instate. I am from Massachusetts so I am wondering I even have a shot at this school. 3.88 Gpa, 506 mcat.

Good news and bad news:

Good news, you have a shot, a good one from a numerical standpoint.

Bad news, thier in-state acceptance is more like 91%.

Also note, their OOS tuition is like 83k per year.

I submitted my secondary on 7/1, got an email on 7/8 saying I have an interview on August 19th.

When I submitted my secondary, I only had three options to choose from for my letters. I chose individual for all of my letters, but there is now an option that says "AACOMAS," which is where my letters are. Of course, I can't change it now. Did this happen to anyone else? It's been a week since I submitted my secondary and they still don't have my letters.

Edit: Nevermind, they ended up getting my letters and my app is complete.

Last edited:
anyone know if you can apply for instate tuition at MSUCOM after your first year?

Just asking caus I know oos kids at Uconn Med can.

anyone know if you can apply for instate tuition at MSUCOM after your first year?

Just asking caus I know oos kids at Uconn Med can.
I don't think so. As far as I know the MSU rules are that you have to live in the state of Michigan for 12 months -- without being enrolled in a higher-education program -- for residency to be established.

I don't think so. As far as I know the MSU rules are that you have to live in the state of Michigan for 12 months -- without being enrolled in a higher-education program -- for residency to be established.

This is correct. Also, after some lengthy discussions with state gov people (OOS myself), you usually have to have 12 months of employment on top of that ie just holding property isn't enough etc. It's actually shockingly hard to get in-state residency.

This school service ******* sucks. I tried to call them to get my LOR complete, because they are through AACOMAS and idk why the are not marked complete. Their whole phone service is a pre-recorder teleprompter guide. I legit cannot speak to 1 human being about my application after sending this school $100. This is complete bull****.
Did you email them? I did and they replied relatively quickly and said they would put me in a special folder so they remember to email me when they get my LORs.

This school service ******* sucks. I tried to call them to get my LOR complete, because they are through AACOMAS and idk why the are not marked complete. Their whole phone service is a pre-recorder teleprompter guide. I legit cannot speak to 1 human being about my application after sending this school $100. This is complete bull****.
Sorry you had a difficult experience, but one simple email to the admissions address would have this problem solved in a day.

Yeah I sent them an email, hopefully they respond today

Good luck buddy! Always good to see another fellow Canadian!

I see there are a lot of students applying who did Wayne State's BMS, best of luck to y'all!

I've heard most BMS students manage to get into a Michigan medical school.

I love the BMS program. The woman at Wayne med told me to choose a program where I could take classes in a ton of different disciplines, so I am glad I chose BMS. It's also taught directly in the med school by med school professors. It has been working out for me so far, I have three II's. MSUCOM definitely loves BMS students, so I have heard! PM me if you have any more questions.

For the secondary, specifically the community service section. Are we supposed to fill out all our volunteer activities that has been listed in our AACOMAS primary app? It does say: "Note any additional experiences (not previously listed on AACOMAS) below." but I had a friend who applied last cycle tell me he filled out the same volunteering things he had already put in the primary?

@femmegoblue I'd like your opinion because .... well, you have an II already!

For the secondary, specifically the community service section. Are we supposed to fill out all our volunteer activities that has been listed in our AACOMAS primary app? It does say: "Note any additional experiences (not previously listed on AACOMAS) below." but I had a friend who applied last cycle tell me he filled out the same volunteering things he had already put in the primary?

@femmegoblue I'd like your opinion because .... well, you have an II already!

I specifically listened to the directions and only wrote down things NOT on AACOMAS. For me, that was ~310 hours of volunteering from high school. I mean, they say NOT to repeat it, so I would listen to the directions and save yourself the neurotic trouble of typing it all out again :)

Anyone with interview invites - did your applications ever become "under review"?

My application has been "complete" since 6/30...

For those who reapplied, or are reapplying, how did you tackle the secondary? MSU's secondary is ridiculous. It feels like a primary app without course work or PS input. Did you rewrite everything? Thinking of doing that secondary again gives me a headache, honestly.

How much copying from my old secondary would be considered excessive? I'm sure I didn't get in because of my very late application and low mcat, which is why I want to use some of my old prompt answers.

Last edited:
So my committee letter has been uploaded to AACOMAS for over a week now, I have 4 days for MSUCOM to download it before the deadline for my secondary! They're not gonna toss out my app because they didn't "receive" the letters within a month of me receiving my secondary are they? It seemed like the 1 month thing was a firm deadline.

So my committee letter has been uploaded to AACOMAS for over a week now, I have 4 days for MSUCOM to download it before the deadline for my secondary! They're not gonna toss out my app because they didn't "receive" the letters within a month of me receiving my secondary are they? It seemed like the 1 month thing was a firm deadline.
Shoot them an email and ask them if they have your letters. They usually get back quick, and will complete your file for you.

Shoot them an email and ask them if they have your letters. They usually get back quick, and will complete your file for you.
I already near the end of last week and they said they'd email me as soon as they get it.