Michigan vs. Marquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbeck4

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I don't normally post on here, but I would really love to get all the advice and insights I can get. I am just absolutely torn between Michigan and Marquette. With the deposit deadline coming up, it's all I can think about. I've lost sleep over it because this is such a tough decision for me. I really loved both schools, and I'm super ecstatic that I get to make a choice on the two, but I was kind of secretly hoping that I wouldn't have to make a decision. I was equally impressed with both schools after my interview days, but here were my general impressions (I'm hoping that some of you may be able to speak to my hesitations):

Michigan: I could tell that Michigan was just a quality school. I could tell students there were getting a top notch education. I love the fact that the professors are the best in their field and that it's a research-oriented school. If specializing was a possibility in the future, I feel Michigan would carry a more reputable name. I loved the Ann Arbor area. Michigan would be cheaper in tuition (scholarship) by around $40,000 total. I wasn't overly impressed with the clinic. The facilities seemed old and outdated, and there just wasn't a whole lot of excitement from the students in the clinic. It just seemed to me that clinic wasn't as big of a focus for Michigan as research and academics and what not.

Marquette: This was a beautiful school. New, state of the art facilities. Awesome clinic. Very interactive and friendly environment that couldn't be matched anywhere else I interviewed. Smaller class size. I love how it's a clinical-based program. I could tell that students graduating from there were leaving as great dentists. Milwaukee is much closer to home, and it's a ton cheaper in cost of living. I'm a huge Bulls fan, so being close to Chicago would be sweet. Marquette, however, doesn't carry a very reputable name if I wanted to specialize. It definitely didn't have quite the professional feel that Michigan had.

I would seriously love it if any of you provided insights on my hesitations or advice in any way to make this decision easier. I would definitely appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend Michigan because its cheaper by quite a lot when interest is calculated and even cheaper if you plan to specialize and let those loans sit and accrue a few more years. You are going to love either school and based on you having a tough time deciding now between the two I'd go for the cheapest!

Ughhhhh I hated turning down Marquette. It was AWESOME. If it had the same name recognition that UofM has, I might have gone there instead...

I guess I'm not really helping, haha but I understand your dilemma!

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds to me like you want to go to Marquette....But, the UofM name has you tied up.
You will have the chance to specialize at both school, so dont let that fool you. Pick the place that feels right!

Ughhhhh I hated turning down Marquette. It was AWESOME. If it had the same name recognition that UofM has, I might have gone there instead...

I guess I'm not really helping, haha but I understand your dilemma!
What is your state of residency. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks for the input. Still having a tough time. Anymore help would be great.

What is the COA difference (including living and everything else)?
Including living costs i project it to be about a 20k difference in Michigan's favor. Not huge but something to consider.

when is the deposit deadline for Michigan?

Including living costs i project it to be about a 20k difference in Michigan's favor. Not huge but something to consider.
IMO this amount is small enough to be neglible when considering between schools. I would go with the school/city you are most comfortable with and can see yourself being happier. So sounds like that would be Marquette from your post? Either way you can't go wrong-- both are good schools.

Looks like Harbaugh is heading back to Michigan. This should make it an easier decision. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the exact situation right now - what did you end up deciding and how did you reach that decision?

I'm in the exact situation right now - what did you end up deciding and how did you reach that decision?

I believe OP had to decide between Iowa and Michigan in the end if you check his previous posts. If I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with Michigan. It has a really good reputation and I would rather spend the next 4 years at a big school than a small private school. But that's just my opinion haha :)

Last edited:
Hey, I had to make the same decision a couple of years ago and picked Marquette. I have been happy with my decision, choose the school that you feel most comfortable at... Can't go wrong with either one