Micro: what areas are weak in FA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to see from those that have taken it if FA is enough to do decent or if I need to read something more. Maybe Micro made Ridc Easy.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to see from those that have taken it if FA is enough to do decent or if I need to read something more. Maybe Micro made Ridc Easy.

thanks.

I don't know whether it would help or not but most of my seniors have all used kaplan micro as their primary microbiology review source. I guess they were weak in micro.
I think it depends whether you have a solid background of micro. What books did you use during M2 for microbiology ?

thanks.

Microcards are legit. Been using them and they are very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
My schools curriculum is very weak in micro, thus I read CMMRS. I don't gain anything from reading texts and thus the 3 days spent on that text were a waste. I have thus since moved to microcards and FA only and my scores seem to be slowly improving on qbanks.

Second microcards. I bought a brand new pack of the 2e (not the newest) on half.com for next to nothing this past summer. Each card is made of quality paper, is succinct, and has an awesome diagram which delineates the other related microbes. Total quality.

There's a good Lange book listed in the Taus method. I picked it up a few months ago but returned it because my school gave me a pretty good immunology and micro background. I really liked what was in there--it's big, but it has good diagrams and synopses.

"Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Twelfth Edition"

Reactions: 1 user
I wish First Aid was a bit better organized with respect to micro. I feel like they should have included the bugs in each system as well so that it can be hammered into our thick skulls.

I wish First Aid was a bit better organized with respect to micro. I feel like they should have included the bugs in each system as well so that it can be hammered into our thick skulls.

Not a bad suggestion. My micro course was separate from my M2 systems curriculum, but it was presented in a systems-based fashion.

The only micro I did for prep was FA and I thought it was more than enough.

micro.jpg

edit: god damn that and pharma are where I scored the highest.

There's a good Lange book listed in the Taus method. I picked it up a few months ago but returned it because my school gave me a pretty good immunology and micro background. I really liked what was in there--it's big, but it has good diagrams and synopses.

"Review of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, Twelfth Edition"

I recommend this book. Kaplan micro is also a good substitute for this.

What's y'all think about picmonic? Anyone tried it and compared to micro cards? My only concern is that it emphasizes specific organisms so you tend to forget where everything is overall.

What's y'all think about picmonic? Anyone tried it and compared to micro cards? My only concern is that it emphasizes specific organisms so you tend to forget where everything is overall.

Picmonic works great for those that learn well by that method. The pictures are ridiculous and the idea is that it is so far out there that you'll remember it. It's similar to the method used by some students who make up stories to remember stuff. Hasn't worked too well for me. I don't learn well with memorizing stories when the material itself isn't too difficult. Micro isn't all that bad if you stick to mnemonics and pay attention to most commons. First Aid is definitely sufficient. Throw in Microcards and you'll be just fine.

Picmonic works great for those that learn well by that method. The pictures are ridiculous and the idea is that it is so far out there that you'll remember it. It's similar to the method used by some students who make up stories to remember stuff. Hasn't worked too well for me. I don't learn well with memorizing stories when the material itself isn't too difficult. Micro isn't all that bad if you stick to mnemonics and pay attention to most commons. First Aid is definitely sufficient. Throw in Microcards and you'll be just fine.

Thanks! I'm looking at lippinscott microcards. Any suggestions for pharm? I was considering picmonic for that, but am looking at the Lange pharm cards now.