Microbio vs Environmental science and majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJ_D122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that your major doesn't "matter" as Long as you have the pre requisites. I'm torn on whether i want to major in microbiology, for the sake of being beneficial and i somewhat enjoy biology, or earth and environmental sciences, which I absolutely love. There isn't a gurantee that I'll get in optometry school of course, and I do not want to be stuck with a microbio degree I'd much MUCH rather be stuck with a earth and environmental science degree. However, I feel like I'm at a disadvantage if I do earth and environmental sciences, like I feel when they look at my major they'll think "oh that's odd" or something, am I wrong to feel this way? Any help would be appreciated :). Also, how much volunteer hours should I try to aim for?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a literature major applying to dental school. They're not going to look at any major and think it's weird if you have a good GPA in general and in the pre-reqs.

Try and volunteer for a little bit at a time (e.g. 4 hours a week) and you'll rack up hundreds of hours during undergrad. That's easier than setting cutoffs and allows you to enjoy the experience.

You are not going to like microbi at all just for the sake of it being beneficial. That's what I thought in my sophomore year... I declared my major as microbio just because a surgeon told me that it is a good idea to major in that... I took one microbio course and it destroyed my GPA. It was not enjoyable at all. I actually think a biology degree is more beneficial that the rest. It gets all of your prereqs in your degree and it prepares you well for the OAT.

I know that your major doesn't "matter" as Long as you have the pre requisites.

Good, that's all you need to know. If anything, less common majors make you stand out and appear well-rounded. Just about any of the classic science majors will give you too much of one subject, and not enough of the rest.