Microbiology Instead of Biology 2 Prereq

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrjbb

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for a close friend. She's taken Biology 1 and has the chance to take Microbiology instead of Bio 2. She's found micro to be of more interest. Her question to me was, can she use Micro/lab as part of the 1 year biology requirement?

I've looked at some OLD threads on here and my answer to her would be yes, but there may be some schools that may not accept it. Most do not specify bio 1 and bio 2.

She also asked if she'd be at a disadvanatage when taking the Mcat, since she would have only taken Bio 1 and Microbiology...or does Bio 2 make a minimal difference?

I told her I'd have to come on here to find that answer lol Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is no. She can't use Microbiology with lab to satisfy the second part of Biology. She needs to take Biology 1 and 2. Same thing for Physics 1 and 2, Chemistry 1 and 2, Organic Chemistry 1 and 2 ( however, SOME schools are ok with Biochemistry filling the requirement for Organic Chemistry 2...some schools).

I thought it didn't matter the type of bio course as long as you have one full year or bio with lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
Asking for a close friend. She's taken Biology 1 and has the chance to take Microbiology instead of Bio 2. She's found micro to be of more interest. Her question to me was, can she use Micro/lab as part of the 1 year biology requirement?

I've looked at some OLD threads on here and my answer to her would be yes, but there may be some schools that may not accept it. Most do not specify bio 1 and bio 2.

She also asked if she'd be at a disadvanatage when taking the Mcat, since she would have only taken Bio 1 and Microbiology...or does Bio 2 make a minimal difference?

I told her I'd have to come on here to find that answer lol Thanks in advance.

It depends on the med school. Some specify they want Bio 1 & 2 (safest route), but some just specify 8 hrs of bio, chem, org, etc. and don't care what courses as long as you get 8 hrs. Limiting your choices early on may not be the best strategy.

How helpful depends on the undergrad classes as well, at some schools Bio 1 or at others Bio 2 is useless for med school as it may be lots of taxonomy stuff relating to plants and such, which will not help at all.

It depends on the med school. Some specify they want Bio 1 & 2 (safest route), but some just specify 8 hrs of bio, chem, org, etc. and don't care what courses as long as you get 8 hrs. Limiting your choices early on may not be the best strategy.

How helpful depends on the undergrad classes as well, at some schools Bio 1 or at others Bio 2 is useless for med school as it may be lots of taxonomy stuff relating to plants and such, which will not help at all.

Makes sense as far as Bio II being the safest route. At her school bio II is mostly ecological and zoology related from what I understand. I helped her look into various schools and the increase in Med schools requiring and/or strongly recommending additional coursework in A&P, Microbiology and Genetics is rising.

Limiting your app before you apply is the reason I'm taking both Orgo II and Biochem rather then trying to replace Orgo II with Biochem. Not many schools allow this.

The input is appreciated.

Makes sense as far as Bio II being the safest route. At her school bio II is mostly ecological and zoology related from what I understand. I helped her look into various schools and the increase in Med schools requiring and/or strongly recommending additional coursework in A&P, Microbiology and Genetics is rising.

Limiting your app before you apply is the reason I'm taking both Orgo II and Biochem rather then trying to replace Orgo II with Biochem. Not many schools allow this.

The input is appreciated.

My school was backward in that Bio 1 was mostly eco and zo and Bio 2 was the important stuff. I'd strongly recommend courses in genetics, biochem, and A&P as you'll be expected to greatly know or insanely quickly come up to speed in those during the first 2 months in med school. Embryology, Micro, and Histology would also be helpful. Get a good foundation now when you have time or suffer later when the profs in med school teach like they expect you to already have the foundation mastered.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the input. For some reason her school has Bio 1 only and not Bio 2. But I took a look at her syllabus and Bio 1 covers a lot. Everything from some basic biochem, genetics/dna, micro organisms and human body systems. The only prerequisite for Microbiology at her school is Bio 1.

My school was backward in that Bio 1 was mostly eco and zo and Bio 2 was the important stuff. I'd strongly recommend courses in genetics, biochem, and A&P as you'll be expected to greatly know or insanely quickly come up to speed in those during the first 2 months in med school. Embryology, Micro, and Histology would also be helpful. Get a good foundation now when you have time or suffer later when the profs in med school teach like they expect you to already have the foundation mastered.

Out of curiosity, are you looking to switch fields? I see you're in Psych. If you are, any reasons you decided to move over to medicine?