Microlithiasis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Merely

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned about testicular microlithiasis in school and was a little confused about how to manage a patient with such a condition. My prof said that you don't need to treat only tell patient to do self exams but I read that it is associated with other conditions like testicular cancer so wouldn't it be wise to act on that information? I dont really know much as Im an M1 but was looking for some insight. Sorry if this is a confusing question lol

Members don't see this ad.

I learned about testicular microlithiasis in school and was a little confused about how to manage a patient with such a condition. My prof said that you don't need to treat only tell patient to do self exams but I read that it is associated with other conditions like testicular cancer so wouldn't it be wise to act on that information? I dont really know much as Im an M1 but was looking for some insight. Sorry if this is a confusing question lol

Testicular microlithiasis is more common in men who have testicular cancer, but testicular cancer is not more common in men who have testicular microlithiasis. It is basically a normal variant present in about 5% of men. If seen on a testicular ultrasound, no additional screening is needed other than monthly testicular exams (recommended for all men).

Testicular microlithiasis is more common in men who have testicular cancer, but testicular cancer is not more common in men who have testicular microlithiasis. It is basically a normal variant present in about 5% of men. If seen on a testicular ultrasound, no additional screening is needed other than monthly testicular exams (recommended for all men).

Thank you very much for the insight, I spent a lot of time reading pubmed and saw a lot of conflicting info but the general consensus was what you said. So you don't think that seeing it on US should prompt a tumor marker screen or follow up imaging in a few months? Thats what I saw as a potential protocol in some of the articles was wondering your view on that.

Thank you very much for the insight, I spent a lot of time reading pubmed and saw a lot of conflicting info but the general consensus was what you said. So you don't think that seeing it on US should prompt a tumor marker screen or follow up imaging in a few months? Thats what I saw as a potential protocol in some of the articles was wondering your view on that.

Tumor markers are definitely not indicated. Some urologists will check a follow up ultrasound in 6 months or a year, but this is also low yield. Evidence-based practice is no additional screening aside from monthly testicular self examination.

Reactions: 1 user