Mid/low tier MD schools that are Pass/Fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radioactive15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the middle-tier and low-tier medical MD schools that are pass/fail curriculum for preclinical years?

I got a 33-34 equivalent on my MCAT so mid and low tiers are the tiers I am largely restricted to applying to.
I'd prefer to go to a pass/fail curriculum medical school due to the collaboration between the class and so that I can focus on learning and not on competing with my classmates.

Can you list some US MD schools that are pass/fail for the preclinical years?

(ignore location, this should be a cumulative list so everyone in a similar situation can benefit)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were you, I wouldn't necessarily restrict myself to middle/low tier schools with a 33-35 MCAT. What's your GPA?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think for low tiers Quinnipiac is. May be wrong because I really didn't think much of that place.

Also the lowest tier MD you could possibly find, UAZ - Tucson is pass/fail.

RWJ (formerly UMDNJ) is strict P/F with no internal ranking. I'd consider it a mid-tier school.

If I were you, I wouldn't necessarily restrict myself to middle/low tier schools with a 33-35 MCAT. What's your GPA?
Sorry I meant 33-34 equivalent. 514 was the score which is 91st percentile

GPA is 3.9+

Hi OP,
I would highly recommend that you not limit yourself to low/mid tier schools. I am applying in the 2016 cycle. I have a similar MCAT and lower GPA. The majority of my school list is low/mid tier schools, with a handful of reaches.

I've received very little love from the low/mid tier schools...but lots of love from my reaches.

So the takeaway is don't limit yourself. Look for schools that match your mission/values/interests.

Reactions: 1 user
Loma Linda. Awesome school if you want one that emphasizes collaboration and learning from each other. We use pass/fail, and although you can get honors and high pass, these are based solely off predetermined grade cut offs, not on a curve. So theoretically, everyone could get honors and high pass. And in our school, people work together to try to help each other get honors and high pass, instead of competing against each other. My study group has done that quite well so far, and we are doing fairly well as a result.

What are the middle-tier and low-tier medical MD schools that are pass/fail curriculum for preclinical years?

I got a 33-34 equivalent on my MCAT so mid and low tiers are the tiers I am largely restricted to applying to.
I'd prefer to go to a pass/fail curriculum medical school due to the collaboration between the class and so that I can focus on learning and not on competing with my classmates.

Can you list some US MD schools that are pass/fail for the preclinical years?

(ignore location, this should be a cumulative list so everyone in a similar situation can benefit)
A friend of mine has a 513/3.87 GPA from an average liberal arts college with decent ECs (but nothing with a "wow" factor) and she's interviewing at Harvard this month. A month ago she was panicking that she had no IIs, and now she has four. You never know how the cycle will play out. Apply broadly, but throw in a few reach schools.

Sorry I meant 33-34 equivalent. 514 was the score which is 91st percentile

GPA is 3.9+

For the love of god LizzyM 73 is not "restricted to low/middle teirs"

If you apply to predominantly low/mid schools, you may well get passed over for having numbers that are too high. Some places to consider:

Wake forest (Pass/fail, internal ranking, but you get to choose if your rank goes on the deans letter)
UM (pass fail but ranked in quantiles)
Emory (pass fail with internal ranking)

Loma Linda. Awesome school if you want one that emphasizes collaboration and learning from each other. We use pass/fail, and although you can get honors and high pass, these are based solely off predetermined grade cut offs, not on a curve. So theoretically, everyone could get honors and high pass. And in our school, people work together to try to help each other get honors and high pass, instead of competing against each other. My study group has done that quite well so far, and we are doing fairly well as a result.
What are you, an admissions officer? That's not pass/fail, that's H/HP/P/F. Or if you prefer: A/B/C/F. I guess no one gets Ds so that's nice

Reactions: 1 users