PhD/PsyD Midlevel licensure + experimental PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychadelic2012

PhD Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a masters in clinical psychology and I'm provisionally licensed at the masters level in my state while I pursue an experimental psychology PhD. My research has a definite clinical component to it. It is my goal (possibly to the chagrin of my advisor) to be independently licensed by the time I finish my doctorate, and I'm on track to do that. I currently freelance with a local psychologist doing testing and therapy. Besides the obvious benefits of having the ability to be employed outside of academia, even if only part-time, or to find work in the absence of available academic positions, I wonder what you all think of the marketability of my clinical experience and licensure. For example, might this be appealing to academic medical centers or clinical programs, due to my ability to supervise? Obviously I won't be a psychologist, but I'm not sure how much my midlevel license will hold me back in that type of environment. I do want an academic or primarily research-oriented (not clinical) position, ideally.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a masters in clinical psychology and I'm provisionally licensed at the masters level in my state while I pursue an experimental psychology PhD. My research has a definite clinical component to it. It is my goal (possibly to the chagrin of my advisor) to be independently licensed by the time I finish my doctorate, and I'm on track to do that. I currently freelance with a local psychologist doing testing and therapy. Besides the obvious benefits of having the ability to be employed outside of academia, even if only part-time, or to find work in the absence of available academic positions, I wonder what you all think of the marketability of my clinical experience and licensure. For example, might this be appealing to academic medical centers or clinical programs, due to my ability to supervise? Obviously I won't be a psychologist, but I'm not sure how much my midlevel license will hold me back in that type of environment. I do want an academic or primarily research-oriented (not clinical) position, ideally.

Thanks in advance!

Rightly or wrongly, academic psychology is not likley to hold your masters level training and licesure in high regard. And doctoral students are almost always required to be supervised by psychologists, so that wouldn't be role your could take on within a program/department.

Last edited: