Midway College students have been given a huge slap in the face.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SadPharma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Midway college in Paintsville, KY announced last night that they are delaying the opening yet again. They also told all the students that have been accepted that they will need to reapply for the program.

I applied through PharmCAS, interviewed with them, then received an acceptance letter from them in the Spring of 2011. I moved over 1000 miles in anticipation of the school opening. Then came the delays. Now they are saying I will have to reapply? It's hard to believe they would do this to us.

This is not really relevant for most of you, but I thought I should post it here as a warning to all of those who are thinking about applying to the new schools. This failure ranks right up there with the Hawaii College of Pharmacy debacle.

There are people who quit their jobs and moved from the west coast to go to this school. I know of several who bought houses in the area after being accepted... and now they are saying we have to reapply.

Here's a link to a news release:
http://www.ucwv.edu/news/UC_and_Midway_College_Announce_Plans_for_Pharmacy_Program.aspx

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't read the article, but have heard some weird stuff there from friends.. like its dean keep getting replaced. Sucks that happened to you.

That really sucks... Hope it'll all work out for you (and the others) in the end. Of course it's easy for me to say that, I just can't imagine being in a similar situation...
Some of the new schools are quite good from what I've heard, but it's always a risk being the first admitted class I suppose...

Members don't see this ad :)
I live 20 miles from Paintsville so I know several of people that have been accepted there. This is just terrible to make people wait this long (which may be out of their control) but to punish those who have been waiting patiently is just awful. I would be irate if I reapplied and didn't get a seat. Even if they have already filled all available positions the previous applicants should get first priority in my opinion. I hope everything works out for you.

I am sorry for your situation. That really is sad. However, I would consider it perhaps a blessing and move forward onto a different school or a different pathway to get where you want to go. I would have a hard time wanting to reapply to a school like that. Not a good way to start out as a pharmacy school either.

Good luck with your future. I hope you find a way to succeed with where you want to go in life.

That's horrible. I can't believe those who have already gone through the application process have to reapply. It seems like very poor business practice to me. I'm not sure how feasible it would be for you, but after such a debacle, I'd rather go to another school, like what EBT12 said.

Nevertheless, good luck with your future endeavors, wherever they take you.

Looks like they couldn't get their act together and decided to be a satellite campus of the University of Charleston instead.

It makes sense to have to reapply because it isn't really a Midway College program anymore. Yeah it sucks for those that were told they were accepted, but it is a risk you take with a school that hasn't even gotten pre-candidate status yet.

The new school is supposed to be a "collaborative partnership" with UC. They are saying it will be called "University of Charleston School of Pharmacy at Midway College."

Notice that Midway College still has its name in there.

The new school is supposed to be a "collaborative partnership" with UC. They are saying it will be called "University of Charleston School of Pharmacy at Midway College."

Notice that Midway College still has its name in there.

Just to salvage the reputation of their dead-in-the-water school, I would have thought they wouldn't put their name in there. Midway College of Pharmacy would just quietly disappear from peoples' minds.

Just to salvage the reputation of their dead-in-the-water school, I would have thought they wouldn't put their name in there. Midway College of Pharmacy would just quietly disappear from peoples' minds.

Nothing goes away quietly in the pharmacy world :smuggrin:

I feel for you, and any other person that got screwed in this situation! Any person applying to a new school should really do A LOT of research, as the decision to attend or commit is a pretty big gamble. Now, I'm sure you don't want to hear any scolding about your decision, so I'll throw in some advice on what I would personally do if I was in this situation.

1.) Apply to the new satellite campus. Personally, I like UC's curriculum and direction. I can't say I've had a bad experience so far by any means, but then again maybe I'm biased.
2.) Mention you were accepted to Midway during your interview/application. Don't look at it as brown-nosing or anything like that because frankly, your future depends on this acceptance. You made a commitment and you can't afford to be screwed, or at least it doesn't seem like you can. I don't think UC will just give you guys the cold-shoulder. I'm sure there will be some consideration, granted the stats are in-line with what they're looking for (or somewhere close to that benchmarj)

Last edited:
is anyone asking for refund on hotel fees plane fees? Or just the pharmcas and supplemental fee? 110 dollars then?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard of Midway until a few days ago. Are then not accredited at all? As in not pre-candidate status yet? Jw, thanks to anyone that knows.

I'm sorry to hear about everyone that did so much to try to further their careers. Whether it was a intentional choice or a choice of limited options, this is surely a ****ty thing to happen to these guys

Glad to see ACPE is bent on not seeing a repeat of HICP.

If HICP never happened, Midway would be our HICP moment. Y'all would have started last fall and be out $30k+ in tuition right now. Just be glad you were able to cut your losses.

Glad to see ACPE is bent on not seeing a repeat of HICP.

If HICP never happened, Midway would be our HICP moment. Y'all would have started last fall and be out $30k+ in tuition right now. Just be glad you were able to cut your losses.
That's what I was going to say.

And people wonder why us oldies around here are skeptical about new schools.

Did the acceptance include anything about "well, you're accepted but since we don't know what we're doing, you actually might not be" or not?.

No. In fact, we were told to move to Paintsville as soon as possible (This was in the spring of 2011) because housing is limited in the area. We were told school would start in August 2011 and I am still waiting :(

This place was a standalone "school", right?

No, it isn't. The school has been around since 1847. They are known for having an excellent nursing program, among other things.

People are acting like this was just some school on paper. They have a Pharmacy school building that is complete. I've been inside... everything is brand new. An incredible amount of money has been poured into this project.

Midway college in Paintsville, KY announced last night that they are delaying the opening yet again. They also told all the students that have been accepted that they will need to reapply for the program.

I applied through PharmCAS, interviewed with them, then received an acceptance letter from them in the Spring of 2011. I moved over 1000 miles in anticipation of the school opening. Then came the delays. Now they are saying I will have to reapply? It's hard to believe they would do this to us.

This is not really relevant for most of you, but I thought I should post it here as a warning to all of those who are thinking about applying to the new schools. This failure ranks right up there with the Hawaii College of Pharmacy debacle.

There are people who quit their jobs and moved from the west coast to go to this school. I know of several who bought houses in the area after being accepted... and now they are saying we have to reapply.

http://www.ucwv.edu/news/UC_and_Midway_College_Announce_Plans_for_Pharmacy_Program.aspx

Sue them.

The more I think about this the more pissed I get. If I sold my house (at a huge loss), relocated (even across town), and they pulled this I might go insane. Don't reapply there. Everyone will probably avoid that place, and there will be not be enough students to allow them to open in 2013. Even if they did, it sounds like the don't have their act together at all (obvious diploma mill) and they could end up temporarily closing half way throught your education.

Do not walk away from there....................RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and contact lawyer)

I got a 100 dollar check from Midway for my supplemental and pharmcas fee. No reimbursement for hotel or flight. Was worth a try. At least I got that back. Send in your requests as that email stated. I had faxed it in two times. About a month in between each other. The second time, I got the check a week later.

The more I think about this the more pissed I get. If I sold my house (at a huge loss), relocated (even across town), and they pulled this I might go insane. Don't reapply there. Everyone will probably avoid that place, and there will be not be enough students to allow them to open in 2013. Even if they did, it sounds like the don't have their act together at all (obvious diploma mill) and they could end up temporarily closing half way throught your education.

Do not walk away from there....................RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and contact lawyer)

Next year, I'm thinking of selling my mint condition car that will guarrantee to run for 6 years and buy a 1996 honda civic that will last 4 years. I understand I will be taking a huge loss, but the effort will be worth. Because...wait..what...I don't understand my decision to sell my car! help! help!

Am I the only one that wouldn't sell a house, move across the country, sign up for $150K in tuition for a new "pharmacy partnership school" in Paintsville, KY, a town of 3000 people mind you, and then decide in addition to buy a house there? In middle of nowhere Kentucky?

Am I the only one that was taught there is no "get rich quick" schemes?

I mean, I am truly sorry for those that were conned, but it seems that each and everyone of you needs to look in the mirror. These aren't land grand state institutions. It's one thing if the University of Louisville was opening up a pharmacy school. These are private schools hopping on a bandwagon to eat up government backed student loan tuition dollars. Have any of you heard of Midway College before this? Thought so.

/rant

Am I the only one that wouldn't sell a house, move across the country, sign up for $150K in tuition for a new "pharmacy partnership school" in Paintsville, KY, a town of 3000 people mind you, and then decide in addition to buy a house there? In middle of nowhere Kentucky?

Am I the only one that was taught there is no "get rich quick" schemes?

I mean, I am truly sorry for those that were conned, but it seems that each and everyone of you needs to look in the mirror. These aren't land grand state institutions. It's one thing if the University of Louisville was opening up a pharmacy school. These are private schools hopping on a bandwagon to eat up government backed student loan tuition dollars. Have any of you heard of Midway College before this? Thought so.

/rant

Exactly. One of my professors who developed ways to make oxycontin tamperproof tells us time and time again that he has letters asking him to either be a dean or a professor at these new schools. He basically said he would never accept those offers because that are at random schools that he has never heard of and are usually in shady/unknown places at best.

Wow. I think this is one step in the right direction for the pharmacy profession. Feel bad for the applicants though.

I'm genuinely surprised the project as a whole fell through.

You aren't the only one. Recently, I have been spending my time looking over the old HICP threads and I see a lot of similarities. If there is still anyone on SDN that went through that fiasco, I would be interested in talking over PM.

I see a way that some of the heartache could have all been prevented. PharmCAS should not allow schools on their site that haven't yet received Pre-Candidate status.

Last edited:
You aren't the only one. Recently, I have been spending my time looking over the old UH Hilo threads and I see a lot of similarities. If there is still anyone on SDN that went through that fiasco, I would be interested in talking over PM.

I see a way that some of the heartache could have all been prevented. PharmCAS should not allow schools on their site that haven't yet received Pre-Candidate status.

UH-Hilo and HICP are not the same school...

Unfortunantly, this is the chance you take when applying to a brand new school.

You aren't the only one. Recently, I have been spending my time looking over the old UH Hilo threads and I see a lot of similarities. If there is still anyone on SDN that went through that fiasco, I would be interested in talking over PM.

Why should PharmCAS do that? If you're too dumb to realize what pre-candidate status means (and the lack thereof...) then frankly, you deserved this. Everyone who signed up for this school deserved this.You couldn't have made a worse decision if you tried.

Everyone who signed up for this school deserved this.You couldn't have made a worse decision if you tried.

It is easy to say that looking back. At the time, we were told things which ended up being outright lies!

We warned all of you. Multiple times. You didn't listen. It's sad but if pre pharms are too arrogant to listen to our more seasoned practitioners and posters, it's on you. No offense... Life isn't fair.

It is easy to say that looking back. At the time, we were told things which ended up being outright lies!

Right. And you should have KNOWN they were lies because if you had bothered to research what the candidacy statuses even MEAN, you would have known it was impossible for that to be true.

If they had never done things that were totally off the wall like that, then I would have a lot more sympathy. But you applied to a school WITHOUT PRE-CANDIDATE STATUS (wtf? seriously?) and had NO reservations about it? You're insane if you think that made sense because of anything they had to say.

We were told the following:

1. The accreditation board had already done an informal review and that everything checked out. They also said that accreditation would be a cakewalk. They also tried to imply that anything we read online was "old information" and that because of the formalities of the system, they couldn't officially say they had Pre-candidate status until June.

2. The school has been around since 1842 and is very stable (With the recent shake-up in Midway's internal politics, this stability was a lie)

3. The new dean and his team have started several other other new pharmacy schools. (This was true)

4. Many of us were promised a generous scholarship because of an arrangement they had made with a third party (This was true, but we never actually got the money because the school didn't open).

Why should PharmCAS do that? If you're too dumb to realize what pre-candidate status means (and the lack thereof...) then frankly, you deserved this. Everyone who signed up for this school deserved this.You couldn't have made a worse decision if you tried.

We warned all of you. Multiple times. You didn't listen. It's sad but if pre pharms are too arrogant to listen to our more seasoned practitioners and posters, it's on you. No offense... Life isn't fair.

What kind of audacity do you guys have to turn this into an "I told you so" moment? I don't mind throwing caution into the wind and reminding prospective applicants about the risk of applying to a new school; but to tell them that they "deserve" this, and then going on to talk about presumed character flaws? You guys are being excessive. I think these guys feel crappy enough without other people trying to take a dump on their day.

It's easy to forget the excitement and trepidation that many of us felt back when we were all applicants. For those of us who felt confident about our chances, the wait for an acceptance letter was nearly palatable with anticipation. When that letter came around, you could swear that people were punch drunk with love. For weaker applicants, receiving an acceptance letter is just that much more cathartic.

Yeah, there are a few good lessons to be learned from Midway, but you guys are being absolutely miserable about it. The amount of derision in this thread is ridiculously unnecessary, and I would think that you guys would have at least two craps of sympathy to at least bite your tongue when necessary.

--Garfield3d

What kind of audacity do you guys have to turn this into an "I told you so" moment? I don't mind throwing caution into the wind and reminding prospective applicants about the risk of applying to a new school; but to tell them that they "deserve" this, and then going on to talk about presumed character flaws? You guys are being excessive. I think these guys feel crappy enough without other people trying to take a dump on their day.

It's easy to forget the excitement and trepidation that many of us felt back when we were all applicants. For those of us who felt confident about our chances, the wait for an acceptance letter was nearly palatable with anticipation. When that letter came around, you could swear that people were punch drunk with love. For weaker applicants, receiving an acceptance letter is just that much more cathartic.

Yeah, there are a few good lessons to be learned from Midway, but you guys are being absolutely miserable about it. The amount of derision in this thread is ridiculously unnecessary, and I would think that you guys would have at least two craps of sympathy to at least bite your tongue when necessary.

--Garfield3d

Well said. :thumbup:

--Garfield3d

Thanks for pointing this out. I do care, though, and I'm more annoyed that the school would accept students before being granted pre candidate status. I do apologize for my comment. I just remember a poster coming around a while back getting all up in arms about what we were saying about the accreditation status...like they didn't believe us.

It's too bad this happened and this is hopefully a good learning experience for us all.

Midway applicant, whoever you are, sorry if my comment was mean and I hope things work out for you....truly I do. I'd apply broadly this application cycle. Maybe you can use this experience to your advantage somehow when applying to other schools. :thumbup:

Thanks for pointing this out. I do care, though, and I'm more annoyed that the school would accept students before being granted pre candidate status. I do apologize for my comment. I just remember a poster coming around a while back getting all up in arms about what we were saying about the accreditation status...like they didn't believe us.

Plenty of schools accept applications before they are granted pre-candidate status. ACPE only requires that schools not ENROLL students before pre-candidate status is acheived.

I used to work for Midway College, and know a lot more about the school than almost anyone else on this board. I was skeptical about their efforts to open a College of Pharmacy, but I wouldn't have go so far to say that I "knew" they were doomed to fail. They had a lot of municipal support and the support of the local health care organizations. They are a longstanding, reasonably stable institution with deep roots in east/central Kentucky. None of us know what REALLY happened. We're all just speculating.

Plenty of schools accept applications before they are granted pre-candidate status. ACPE only requires that schools not ENROLL students before pre-candidate status is acheived.

I used to work for Midway College, and know a lot more about the school than almost anyone else on this board. I was skeptical about their efforts to open a College of Pharmacy, but I wouldn't have go so far to say that I "knew" they were doomed to fail. They had a lot of municipal support and the support of the local health care organizations. They are a longstanding, reasonably stable institution with deep roots in east/central Kentucky. None of know what REALLY happened. We're all just speculating.

Thanks for the info :)

We were told the following:

1. The accreditation board had already done an informal review and that everything checked out. They also said that accreditation would be a cakewalk. They also tried to imply that anything we read online was "old information" and that because of the formalities of the system, they couldn't officially say they had Pre-candidate status until June.

Cakewalk? :laugh::laugh: I'm sorry but...taking a nap is a cake walk, becoming an accredited pharmacy program and having to pony up $25,000 in application fees for that accreditation is probably as far from a cake walk as you can get.

I took the risk with a pre-accredited school but I didn't freakin' engage in several hundred thousand dollars in transactions in the process. Hell, I didn't even look for a cheapie apartment until the official pre-candidate status was signed, sealed, and delivered by ACPE.

It's one thing to make plans, it's another to execute on a decision. NEVER NEVER NEVER execute until there's a firm contract in front of you for anything (be it employment, or awaiting pre-accreditation).

As for the last portion I put in bold...they couldn't say they were pre-accredited because, technically speaking, they did not exist as a pharmacy school yet and had NOTHING. They can be as optimistic as they want, but their inability to say "precandidate status," or those "formalities" as the school described them, are what protect the public from deception.

In the end, people sold their houses and moved for technically nothing except some unbridled optimism and nothing on paper.

Cakewalk? :laugh::laugh: I'm sorry but...taking a nap is a cake walk, becoming an accredited pharmacy program and having to pony up $25,000 in application fees for that accreditation is probably as far from a cake walk as you can get.

I took the risk with a pre-accredited school but I didn't freakin' engage in several hundred thousand dollars in transactions in the process. Hell, I didn't even look for a cheapie apartment until the official pre-candidate status was signed, sealed, and delivered by ACPE.

It's one thing to make plans, it's another to execute on a decision. NEVER NEVER NEVER execute until there's a firm contract in front of you for anything (be it employment, or awaiting pre-accreditation).

As for the last portion I put in bold...they couldn't say they were pre-accredited because, technically speaking, they did not exist as a pharmacy school yet and had NOTHING. They can be as optimistic as they want, but their inability to say "precandidate status," or those "formalities" as the school described them, are what protect the public from deception.

In the end, people sold their houses and moved for technically nothing except some unbridled optimism and nothing on paper.

Your new avatar is gross.

--Garfield3d

I get what you're saying, but I have to disagree. These people have been repeatedly saying stuff like "it's not MY FAULT" and "How could I have known??" and "THEY did this to me." That is simply not the case. These students had every opportunity to see that this was a risk. No one can say they KNEW it was doomed for failure - but they made a hell of a lot of sequential bad decisions. The guy who not only accepted, but BOUGHT A HOUSE before being notified of the status is a prime example.

Some of these students have learned. Others have not. Just because that was their only acceptance does not mean that they made good decisions. It's one thing to accept a seat at a school without pre-candidate status when it's your only acceptance; it's another entirely to sell your house, quit your job, and buy a house near the college without any information. If these students were learning from the experience, they might be mad, but they wouldn't be arguing that they aren't responsible for some of this.

Hell, some of these students turned down spots at fully accredited schools for this.