Midwest Child Psych Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych-resident-stl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which CAP programs in the Midwest have good reputation for varied age group exposure, research, relatively easy call schedule, and overall nurturing environment? Any programs that stand out as exceptionally good? Exceptionally overrated.... Exact location is not a big deal

Members don't see this ad.

Which CAP programs in the Midwest have good reputation for varied age group exposure, research, relatively easy call schedule, and overall nurturing environment? Any programs that stand out as exceptionally good? Exceptionally overrated.... Exact location is not a big deal

My child psychiatry attending told me that university of Iowa and mayo are really good programs. She also said that the program director for northwestern is well known but couldn't way more about the program. I think you may just have to ask those questions during the interviews.

UW Madison has a great program and is very nurturing; the department also has a great deal of research shared with psychology and they have a fantastic CAP MD/PhD who does trauma functional imaging research. Their program director was my resident while I was in medical school and she was fantastic! Really good child consult work too as the childrens hospital is great.

Michigan has a great reputation but I know very few specifics.

NW has a very well known chair (Dr. Dalkin) who I personally like a lot. She is known for liking their tough call schedule (both years) which is a downer for some and unlikely to change as long as she remains the chair. The children's hospital is fantastic, top 10 in the country for sure which by itself adds a lot of pluses to the program.

UIC has a comparatively very light call schedule, good 0-5 program, and a very warm environment. There is a lot of research at UIC in neuroimaging, biomarkers, etc but you would definitely need to be a self-directed to make it happen during fellowship.

Iowa is fantastic, very biologically oriented but fantastic. The city is a bit of a downer unless you like small college towns.

Mayo is grossly overrated in psychiatry IMO. They have much bigger strengths in other areas of medicine. You will get exposure to Saudi royalty if that's your thing but I think most midwestern university programs are stronger.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MCW and IU had rave reviews for general psych programs. Anyone know about their child psych programs?

MCW and IU had rave reviews for general psych programs. Anyone know about their child psych programs?

I really like MCW as well from my experience interviewing there and knowing people who did medical school there. I meet a few of their CAP folks who were very nice and the psych program in general has done very well for itself. MCW on the whole has been on the upswing, I would definitely check it out. I know nothing about IU fortunately.

UW Madison has a great program and is very nurturing; the department also has a great deal of research shared with psychology and they have a fantastic CAP MD/PhD who does trauma functional imaging research. Their program director was my resident while I was in medical school and she was fantastic! Really good child consult work too as the childrens hospital is great.

NW has a very well known chair (Dr. Dalkin) who I personally like a lot. She is known for liking their tough call schedule (both years) which is a downer for some and unlikely to change as long as she remains the chair. The children's hospital is fantastic, top 10 in the country for sure which by itself adds a lot of pluses to the program.

UIC has a comparatively very light call schedule, good 0-5 program, and a very warm environment. There is a lot of research at UIC in neuroimaging, biomarkers, etc but you would definitely need to be a self-directed to make it happen during fellowship.

Iowa is fantastic, very biologically oriented but fantastic. The city is a bit of a downer unless you like small college towns.

Mayo is grossly overrated in psychiatry IMO. They have much bigger strengths in other areas of medicine. You will get exposure to Saudi royalty if that's your thing but I think most midwestern university programs are stronger.

Couldn't agree more with this post -- especially Mayo. From what I hear, Michigan has a really good child program too.

I really like MCW as well from my experience interviewing there and knowing people who did medical school there. I meet a few of their CAP folks who were very nice and the psych program in general has done very well for itself. MCW on the whole has been on the upswing, I would definitely check it out. I know nothing about IU fortunately.

Agree. MCW has a fantastic reputation in the midwest for their adult psych program. The child psych program, on the other hand, not so much. Rumor has it that the child PD isn't very supportive of the fellows, a stark contrast to the adult program.

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Any feedback regarding Wash U? U of L? (I know not Midwest but close enough.)