Midwest EM programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veigarOneTrick

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Esteemed colleagues. I am a DO student looking to apply to midwest EM programs. I'm from MN and would like to return if possible. I just received my USMLE/COMLEX scores and they are 220/570 respectively. I have 5 years EMS experience (does that even matter?), research, good ECs, etc. Assuming I do above average on Step 2, do I stand a chance at ACGME midwest EM programs?

I'm specifically looking at Mayo's EM program. Is it as competitive as I think it is? I tell myself that it's competitive, but not hyper competitive due to the MN weather (which I adore). I worked there as an ED tech for a year, no clue if that helps my app at all. Would love to hear from someone familiar with the Mayo program.

I'm also interested in most of the midwest programs:

Both Wisconsin programs
University of Iowa
University of Nebraska
Advocate Christ
University of Illinois programs (Peoria, Chicago)
etc. etc. etc.

Would love some advice on whether I stand chance applying ACGME, or if I should apply AOA. Program recommendations are welcome! Your advice is much appreciated. Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
apply both. all mn program, iowa and wisconsin are extremely competitive

hcmc as a few years ago didnt have any DOs. regions is about 80% AOA. mayo is pretty highly regarded as well. with your experience, certainly not a waste but dont be too let down ifbyou dont receive any interviews. good luck
Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hennepin took 3 DOs into their class of 12 this year. I think they have 5-6 now in the entire program if you include the EM/IM folks.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I sure hope so.... I understand Midwest programs are all fairly competitive, but the location alone should keep them from being super competitive. That's why I was inquiring about Mayo. Top hospital in the nation, but being from MN, the winters can be brutal and literally last for 6 months.

Check out Ohio and Michigan programs too if you're going ACGME. All solid programs and not as competitive to get interviews, at least in my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I sure hope so.... I understand Midwest programs are all fairly competitive, but the location alone should keep them from being super competitive. That's why I was inquiring about Mayo. Top hospital in the nation, but being from MN, the winters can be brutal and literally last for 6 months.

I get that you're interested in Minnesota and the Mayo name is fancy, but their EM program is not exactly regarded as a powerhouse by any stretch. Yes, they have a ton of money and are very academic. However, Rochester is not the kind of area I'd want to go if I'm training in emergency medicine. Seems very homogenous.

Reactions: 3 users
I get that you're interested in Minnesota and the Mayo name is fancy, but their EM program is not exactly regarded as a powerhouse by any stretch. Yes, they have a ton of money and are very academic. However, Rochester is not the kind of area I'd want to go if I'm training in emergency medicine. Seems very homogenous.

I guess that's what I was trying to clear up. I was hoping Mayo EM wasn't THAT competitive as I have heard from a fair amount of people that it isn't exactly a coveted program due to the lack of penetrating trauma, etc. I was hoping to hear from someone familiar with the program that I would be somewhat competitive given my ECs, background and stats.

I interviewed at most of the programs on your list. Really liked all of them, in different ways.

I heard second hand that Mayo interviews a relatively high # of applicants per available spot, which would make it easier to land an interview there but not necessarily easier to match there. Not even sure how accurate that info is though, so take with a grain of salt.

Both WI programs are solid. Probably moderately competitive. UW is a great choice if you're into academics or helicopters. MCW seems to have more volume/acuity/trauma overall.

I interviewed at most of the programs on your list. Really liked all of them, in different ways.

I heard second hand that Mayo interviews a relatively high # of applicants per available spot, which would make it easier to land an interview there but not necessarily easier to match there. Not even sure how accurate that info is though, so take with a grain of salt.

Both WI programs are solid. Probably moderately competitive. UW is a great choice if you're into academics or helicopters. MCW seems to have more volume/acuity/trauma overall.

Great to hear, thanks for the insight!

Is it still Hennepin > Regions > Mayo?

Edit: For MN

Is it still Hennepin > Regions > Mayo?

Edit: For MN

I'm biased, but Hennepin definitely has the best rep. I'm not sure where Regions and Mayo are in relation to each other. Obviously Mayo has more name recognition.

What are esteemed programs in Iowa besides UI?

definitely still Hennepin > Regions > Mayo. Hennepin just does some crazy awesome stuff (TEE, REBOA, tons of US, run all trauma, do all ortho reductions, etc). Regions is a solid program with great didactics. Don't know as much about Mayo but it seems very consultant heavy (very much the opposite of HCMC).