Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was on the middle portion of the waitlist and just got an acceptance! I guess they're starting to go down the list.. But will be declining the offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I was on the middle portion of the waitlist and just got an acceptance! I guess they're starting to go down the list.. But will be declining the offer.
Where else you get accepted?

I am! Do you know if the school offers any database or anything to look for roommates?

I'm also from California and will be new to the area. Did you end up finding a roommate or housing? If so, where at? Thanks in advance!

Hi, did you end up finding a place to stay? If so, which apartment would you recommend? I'm starting my housing search and it's a bit challenging as I can't physically be there to look until I'm ready to move in.

Hi! :) I found my rooommate through FB and I'm looking for a third roommate. Are you interested? We might rent out an apartment called City View, which is only 1.5 miles away from school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! :) I found my rooommate through FB and I'm looking for a third roommate. Are you interested? We might rent out an apartment called City View, which is only 1.5 miles away from school.
Hello! Are you still looking for a third roommate? I heard City View is next to a cemetery, I wonder if it's spooky at night? Haha :) If you're still looking for a roommate I'd love to know more details about the place through PM, thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Are you still looking for a third roommate? I heard City View is next to a cemetery, I wonder if it's spooky at night? Haha :) If you're still looking for a roommate I'd love to know more details about the place through PM, thanks!

I messaged you :)

Do not attend Chicago College of Pharmacy

I am currently a first year student who has made it to my second year. I can not say that about many of my classmates, who have either been held back a year or completely failed out. Currently, there are about 30 students who are being held back and about 15 or so who have failed out. You have to imagine that some of those being held back will probably fail next year as you can not fail more than 3 classes your whole time here at CCP. One of my classmates who failed out had a felony on his record, not a dwi like some others had, (yes, a felony charge).

The average incoming classes PCAT scores were in the 3oth percentile. The average GPA was in the low 2's. It is like coming back to High school, people here are caddy, gossipy, immature and unprofessional. The class above us apparently bullied a girl out of pharmacy school. The school even started classes two weeks early for our class just so anyone who wanted to drop out can drop out and someone else take their place.

Here are my reasons to find another pharmacy school.

-Many of my class mates take Adderall and other stimulants to pass their classes. I have been offered to either buy to be given some by several classmates. I have denied their "generosity."

-Your tuition will go up every year by 2000 dollars. By the time you graduate, you will be paying 46-48k for school. You are told that the increases are to pay staff a better wage. This does not mean that the school hires better professors, it just means they get paid more. No improvements occur to better your education. We even got an email not to study in chairs in one of the new buildings because it was interfering with the Dean's office. Why have study spaces that you can't use to study in?

-You used to have two weeks after the first quarter for break (Thanksgiving), but now you only have one. The school starts school one week later. Your spring break is the first week of March. Your spring quarter ends close to the end of May.

-You pay a lot for tuition and get nothing in return. The school's facilities are a joke.
The desks in the library are disgusting because people leave trash on them. They are not screwed in properly and make a ton of noise when you work on them. Finally there is not enough space/desks for students. The school has books on shelves from 1992 but not enough desks to seat people. During finals, you will be fighting people for a place to sit. The library stays open until 12 midnight then kick you out to the "24" hour room which is even worse (because it smells and is even dirtier than the library). The bathroom's in the library and 24 hour room run out of soap and paper towels. They do not allow us to have hot water to wash our hands, even in the dead of winter in the bathrooms.
The gym is another joke. Exercise equipment from the 80's. The weight room was a closest they converted to a long hallway with weights in them. The weights often do not match.

-While many pharmacy schools record either video/audio or both for student. CCP does not. Some professor's will not post notes to blackboard for you, others will not allow you to record their lectures. The note packets that the school provide for you are riddled with errors and are disorganized because they are shared between different programs. The different programs stress different points in the lecture notes. You have to print your own notes and it kinda sucks sitting in class without them because the professor decided to post the notes an hour before class (while you were sitting in another class).

-The staff and some professors are not supportive. This has been echoed by many of my peers. You can ask them for help and you are told, it is up to you. If you start to fail, then you qualify for tutoring, otherwise, you are on your own.

-Whoever makes the schedules probably hates you. Do you like taking exams at 7 am in the morning, No, neither do I. God forbid a Arctic-blasts sweeps in the night before a test, you will be told to either show up or suffer. We once got an email the night before an exam where we had several feet of snow dumped on top of us telling us to use common sense and caution about driving to school. Common sense told me to stay at home and not risk my life to make it to class.
Finals week does not make sense. You will have a final every day of the week, some days two within the same day. There are no dead days to study. Your last final is usually the cumulative one.

-Quarter system sucks, (and yes, I understand this is personal opinion) everything is crammed in. You sit in class from 8 am to 3, 4 or 5 pm. You are dead tired from being in class, then you have to study. You never have enough time to study when you are taking 17-19 hours of class.

-The dorms are prisons. Why would you want to pay close to a thousand dollars a month to have to share a bathroom and have no kitchen. Eating out is not healthy and is not cheap. The school lacks facilities. "luckily", they are demolishing most of the dorms on campus. Only a select few will be able to live in the campus apartments. You next option is the last remaining dorm which is expensive and small.

-MWU has decided to add an optometry school which will further congest traffic on campus. When class gets out, you can be sitting in the parking lot for 30 minutes just to leave campus. There is only one entrance into and out of campus.

The lists goes on and on, take my advice, go somewhere else. Somewhere that is better. MWU cares only about money. This is the opinion shared by many of my classmates, and in the two classes above me.

Last edited:

I am currently a first year student who has made it to my second year. I can not say that about many of my classmates, who have either been held back a year or completely failed out. Currently, there are about 30 students who are being held back and about 10 or so who have failed out. You have to imagine that some of those being held back will probably fail next year as you can not fail more than 3 classes your whole time here at CCP. One of my classmates who failed out had a felony on his record, not a dwi like some others had, (yes, a felony charge).

The average incoming classes PCAT scores were in the 3oth percentile. The average GPA was in the low 2's. It is like coming back to High school, people here are caddy, gossipy, immature and unprofessional. The school even started classes two weeks early for our class just so anyone who wanted to drop out can drop out and someone else take their place.

Here are my reasons to find another pharmacy school.

-Many of my class mates take Adderall and other stimulants to pass their classes. The top student in my class does some C2 to study.

-Your tuition will go up every year by 2000 dollars. By the time you graduate, you will be paying 46-48k for school. You are told that the increases are to pay staff a better wage. This does not mean that the school hires better professors, it just means they get paid more. No improvements occur to better your education. We even got an email not to study in chairs in one of the new buildings because it was interfering with the Dean's office.

-You pay a lot for tuition and get nothing in return. The school's gym and library are jokes.
The desks in the library are disgusting because people leave trash on them. They are not screwed in properly and make a ton of noise when you work on them, and finally there is not enough space. The school has books on shelves from 1992 but not enough desks to seat people. During finals, you will be fighting people for a place to sit. The library stays open until 12 midnight then kick you out to the "24" hour room which is even worse (because it smells). The bathroom's in the library and 24 hour room run out of soap and paper towels. They do not allow us to have hot water to wash our hands, even in the dead of winter in the bathrooms.
The gym is another joke. Exercise equipment from the 80's. The weight room was a closest they converted to a long hall with weights in them.

-The staff and some professors do not care about you. You can ask them for help and you are told, it is up to you. If you start to fail, then you qualify for tutoring, otherwise, you are on your own.

-Whoever makes the schedules probably hates you. Do you like taking exams at 7 am in the morning, No, neither do I. God forbid a Arctic-blasts sweeps in the night before a test, you will be told to either show up or fail. We once got an email the night before an exam where we have feet of snow dumped on top of us, telling us to use common sense and caution about driving to school. Common sense told me to stay at home and not risk my life to make it to class.

-Quarter system sucks, everything is crammed in. You sit in class from 8 am to 3 or 4. You are dead tired from being in class, then you have to study. You never have enough time to study.

-The dorms are prisons. Why would you want to pay close to a thousand dollars a month to have to share a bathroom and have no kitchen. Eating out is not healthy and is not cheap.

The lists goes on and on, take my advice, go somewhere else. Somewhere that is better. MWU cares only about money.
disappointing and discouraging, do you really try to tell the truth, I will start the first quarter in Aug and I'm not sure what 's your purpose of posting this? I already talk to some first year students when I had interview in MW, they had completely different ideas and opinions, if you have a problem and don not like attending, don't try to disappoint others

Does anyone know if they still force students to buy a laptop through the school? Haven't seen much info on it. I was planning on buying a new laptop, but will hold off if it's added onto our tuition. Thanks in advance.

disappointing and discouraging, do you really try to tell the truth, I will start the first quarter in Aug and I'm not sure what 's your purpose of posting this? I already talk to some first year students when I had interview in MW, they had completely different ideas and opinions, if you have a problem and don not like attending, don't try to disappoint others

Isn't the whole point of a forum to tell the truth? Would you rather know what you are really about to face or would you want me to sugar coat it? All I can say is that you'll have to wait and experience it for yourself. If your class is anything like mine, half your class will fail your first physio exam, because mine did. We did significantly worse than the classes that are ahead of us. And that is not the only class that the large majority of my class was failing. If it was not for curves and bonus points, a lot more of my class would have failed. But like I said, you will just have to experience it for yourself. And then maybe you can give your honest opinion about whether or not to attend.

All I ask you of you is to post your class statistics (Average GPA and Pcat scores)

As far as laptops, they have added the cost of your new laptop to your first year tuition.

Being told that preceptors like MWU students should be taken with a grain of salt. The options are limited in Chicago. University of Illinois students are hands down the best. MWU are behind them because the troubles that Roosevelt and Chicago State have. Roosevelt is a brand new school who need time to iron out their wrinkles, and Chicago State has tons of issues like graduation rate of 16% for undergrad students and has been sued many times by students and staff. MWU students look great in front of Roosevelt and Chicago State students, not in front of UIC students.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention about distant rotations

I was told by the upper classes that going back home for rotations are limited, especially if you are like me and are from Cali. I was told that about half of those who apply to do rotations are allowed to because of limited space back home. Also, the students who have gone back home and have not done well at their rotations sites have basically ruined it for us down the road. Those sites wouldn't even take Midwestern students any more. If you have a misdemeanor on your record, like a dui/dwi. You are not allowed to go back home for rotations. If you fail any class, you can't do distant rotations. As one upper class man said it "they initially tell you, you can go back home but in reality you are really limited to where you can go."

So lets say you have a friend who works at a hospital in Cali and they say, "sure, come do your rotation with me." They fill out paper work and send it to the school. They say, we will accept your student for 1500 dollars, the school responds with an offer of 300. They are not willing to meet eye to eye. I have heard of some upper class men offering to just pay that much so they can go to a hospital site, but the school does not allow them to and they miss out on the opportunity to go there for rotations.

I know Greensprings that I sound really biased towards MWU. You pay a lot of money for school. Your debt to income ratio favors debt. The facilities are not up to standard at MWU. You literally have to elbow someone during finals week for a spot to study. However they make the schedules are just brutal on you. I never thought pharm school would be easy because anything worth doing is never easy but the school does not use common sense. They do not make it an environment for cooperation between students and staff. One of my classmates had a felony charge on his record which the school knew about. A few others have had dui/dwi on their records. Adderall abuse is rampant (although it is for other schools/professions and undergrad).
Tuition keeps going up by 2 thousand dollars a year, 50% of the increase goes to wages. Yes, people have to eat but when the same terrible professors are kept year after year even though getting failing reviews by their students you would think there would be some sort of change.

I rather tell it how it is than smile and pretend everything is awesome. You have to think that those that are giving you the tours are using it as a resume builder and are getting some sort of incentive to be there.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I was told by the upper classes that going back home for rotations are limited, especially if you are like me and are from Cali. I was told that about half of those who apply to do rotations are allowed to because of limited space back home. Also, the students who have gone back home and have not done well at their rotations sites have basically ruined it for us down the road. Those sites wouldn't even take Midwestern students any more. If you have a misdemeanor on your record, like a dui/dwi. You are not allowed to go back home for rotations. If you fail any class, you can't do distant rotations. As one upper class man said it "they initially tell you, you can go back home but in reality you are really limited to where you can go."

So lets say you have a friend who works at a hospital in Cali and they say, "sure, come do your rotation with me." They fill out paper work and send it to the school. They say, we will accept your student for 1500 dollars, the school responds with an offer of 300. They are not willing to meet eye to eye. I have heard of some upper class men offering to just pay that much so they can go to a hospital site, but the school does not allow them to and they miss out on the opportunity to go there for rotations.

I know Greensprings that I sound really biased towards MWU. You pay a lot of money for school. Your debt to income ratio favors debt. The facilities are not up to standard at MWU. You literally have to elbow someone during finals week for a spot to study. However they make the schedules are just brutal on you. I never thought pharm school would be easy because anything worth doing is never easy but the school does not use common sense. They do not make it an environment for cooperation between students and staff. One of my classmates had a felony charge on his record which the school knew about. A few others have had dui/dwi on their records. Adderall abuse is rampant (although it is for other schools/professions and undergrad).
Tuition keeps going up by 2 thousand dollars a year, 50% of the increase goes to wages. Yes, people have to eat but when the same terrible professors are kept year after year even though getting failing reviews by their students you would think there would be some sort of change.

I rather tell it how it is than smile and pretend everything is awesome. You have to think that those that are giving you the tours are using it as a resume builder and are getting some sort of incentive to be there.

I know and it is obvious that UIC is better than MW and is more competitive but after UIC, MW is the best among other IL pharmacy schools.
have you ever checked NAPLEX rate ?
NAPLEX rate for MW is 97% and for UIC is 93% , I know NAPLEX rate is very important factor
pharmacy school is not easy and needs a lot of hard work and study, there are a lot of sacrifices, pharmacy school is a place that we will grow as a person and as a professional , and I know we will be challenged to study more than I think .

I also forgot to say that I did not talk to those that gave us the tour but instead I talked and asked the questions from random students in Cafeteria , also I have two friends that graduated from MW ccp about 3 years ago, both have great job and both had great experiences in MW

The Naplex is not a good measurement of the quality of education/students. If you actually learned the material, you will pass. There is no correlation between GPA and naplex pass rate.

I have classmates that drink every weekend, some others who smoke weed all the time. I am not sure how much they are growing professionally. I realize this is their problem and not mine, it just sucks to sit in class with them.

A quarter of my class failed out or are being held back, facts are facts. You just have to experience it for yourself.

Last edited:
I know this might be a dumb question but does having all green check marks next to my prerequisites on my accepted student checklist mean I am good to go?

I know this might be a dumb question but does having all green check marks next to my prerequisites on my accepted student checklist mean I am good to go?
yes, green check means you completed those prerequisite

The Naplex is not a good measurement of the quality of education/students. If you actually learned the material, you will pass. There is no correlation between GPA and naplex pass rate.

I have classmates that drink every weekend, some others who smoke weed all the time. I am not sure how much they are growing professionally.

A quarter of my class failed out or are being held back, facts are facts. You just have to experience it for yourself.

despite you, I believe Naplex is a very important factor and as you mentioned above anyone learns, can pass. If your classmates drink every weekend and some smoke is not MW problem , it is your classmates problem, if you check SDN and look at students reviews and opinions , it is completely different story, if Midwestern is not a good pharmacy school , we should see more posts similar to your post but we do not see

Isn't the whole point of a forum to tell the truth? Would you rather know what you are really about to face or would you want me to sugar coat it? All I can say is that you'll have to wait and experience it for yourself. If your class is anything like mine, half your class will fail your first physio exam, because mine did. We did significantly worse than the classes that are ahead of us. And that is not the only class that the large majority of my class was failing. If it was not for curves and bonus points, a lot more of my class would have failed. But like I said, you will just have to experience it for yourself. And then maybe you can give your honest opinion about whether or not to attend.

All I ask you of you is to post your class statistics (Average GPA and Pcat scores)

As far as laptops, they have added the cost of your new laptop to your first year tuition.

Being told that preceptors like MWU students should be taken with a grain of salt. The options are limited in Chicago. University of Illinois students are hands down the best. MWU are behind them because the troubles that Roosevelt and Chicago State have. Roosevelt is a brand new school who need time to iron out their wrinkles, and Chicago State has tons of issues like graduation rate of 16% for undergrad students and has been sued many times by students and staff. MWU students look great in front of Roosevelt and Chicago State students, not in front of UIC students.
you asked me to post my GPA and pcat score
I got 96 on pcat and my cumulative GPA is 3.02 because I have a bachelor degree from another country that has different educational system but I have a GPA of 4 for all prerequisites that I took in USA.

I asked about your class statistics, not your own.
I will remind you what my classes incoming stats are.
Average GPA in the low 2's
Average PCAT in the 30th percentile.
One of my classmates (who failed out) had a felony on his record, you have to ask why the school admitted a student who can't vote and would have been working around narcotics.
A few others with DUI's, again, why is the school allowing this type of students.

According to NAPB.net, 111 out of 121 schools have a naplex pass rate of over 90 %. That means 90% of pharmacy schools have a Naplex pass rate of over 90%. As far as I saw, no school had a failing Naplex pass rate. I only saw two with a pass rate or 75%, (Room for improvement, sure!) 11 schools with a Naplex pass rate in the 80th percentile and another 11 schools had a Nap pass rate of 100%. The vast majority of school's had a Nap pass rate of over 90%.

According to US News (2015) CCP is ranked 69 out of 87 ranked pharmacy schools. The 37 or so schools who are not ranked are new schools which include Chicago State and Roosevelt, so saying MWU students are preferred over them, well it is like comparing apples to oranges until they those schools get established. CCP is in the lower 20 % of all ranked schools. UIC is ranked 14 in the nation and in the top 16% of rank schools.

A 4.54% difference in Naplex passing rate between UIC and CCP is insignificant to say that UIC is doing way worse than CCP, since it is most likely within a single standard deviation.

Your friends who graduated and are doing well with their Pharm D degrees are probably doing just as well as anyone who has graduated with a Pharm D degree. They should have good jobs with good salaries. That is sort of expected.

As far as why don't you see more reviews of the school. Once you are in, why would you care to come back to SDN and use your time to write anything? I used SDN when I was interviewing. It provided me with tips for interview. Once I got in, I didn't care to see what others said on SDN. I wish I had an honest opinion of the school and gone else where. If MWU is your best option to become what you want to become, a pharmacist, well, take it. If you have options, take the best one. It is as simple as that. If MWU is your only option to become a pharmacist, well you have no choice but to go because it is the best school that accepted you.

What pharmacy do you work at?

Last edited:
I asked about your class statistics, not your own.
I will remind you what my classes incoming stats are.
Average GPA in the low 2's
Average PCAT in the 30th percentile.
One of my classmates (who failed out) had a felony on his record, you have to ask why the school admitted a student who can't vote and would have been working around narcotics.
A few others with DUI's, again, why is the school allowing this type of students.

According to NAPB.net, 111 out of 121 schools have a naplex pass rate of over 90 %. That means 90% of pharmacy schools have a Naplex pass rate of over 90%. As far as I saw, no school had a failing Naplex pass rate. I only saw two with a pass rate or 75%, (Room for improvement, sure!) 11 schools with a Naplex pass rate in the 80th percentile and another 11 schools had a Nap pass rate of 100%. The vast majority of school's had a Nap pass rate of over 90%.

According to US News (2015) CCP is ranked 69 out of 87 ranked pharmacy schools. The 37 or so schools who are not ranked are new schools which include Chicago State and Roosevelt, so saying MWU students are preferred over them, well it is like comparing apples to oranges until they those schools get established. CCP is in the lower 20 % of all ranked schools. UIC is ranked 14 in the nation and in the top 16% of rank schools.

A 4.54% difference in Naplex passing rate between UIC and CCP is insignificant to say that UIC is doing way worse than CCP, since it is most likely within a single standard deviation.

Your friends who graduated and are doing well with their Pharm D degrees are probably doing just as well as anyone who has graduated with a Pharm D degree. They should have good jobs with good salaries. That is sort of expected.

As far as why don't you see more reviews of the school. Once you are in, why would you care to come back to SDN and use your time to write anything? I used SDN when I was interviewing. It provided me with tips for interview. Once I got in, I didn't care to see what others said on SDN. I wish I had an honest opinion of the school and gone else where. If MWU is your best option to become what you want to become, a pharmacist, well, take it. If you have options, take the best one. It is as simple as that. If MWU is your only option to become a pharmacist, well you have no choice but to go because it is the best school that accepted you.

What pharmacy do you work at?
As I mentioned above, I know UIC is a a better pharmacy school and is more competitive. I never said MW is better than UIC , I just mentioned MW has better Naplex rate, Although MW accept students with low GPA and Lower PCAT score compare to UIC, I just want to assure you people like you and your classmates that have Low GPA and low PCAT never had a chance to accept in UIC and also if you are not successful in MW be sure you could not able to pass courses in UIC because UIC is more challenging , you said people do not care to write anything after they are in, it is just your opinion , I saw many reviews and posts and comments from PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 student that really care hlping people , SDN shows you re a member since 06/19/2015 but you said, you used SDN when you were interviewing, I know who you are, you just signed different ID, SDN needs opinion and posts from brave and honest people

First off, I never said I had personally had a low GPA or a Low PCAT score. How are you so confident that my stats are not equal to or better than you? I never posted till now and only have one account. You can browse the forums without having an account to do your research. Thanks for making the assumption that my stats were low or that I could not get into UIC. Perhaps you should pay closer attention to what I said and not what you think I said. I am presenting facts (and some opinion) and you are responding with insults.

Is that how you plan to treat your patients? If they do not agree with you or have knowledge that is different than yours, will you respond by insulting them? Or will you listen to them and respond to them with respect and include them in the discussion of their own health/knowledge?

Help comes in different forms. You can't argue with facts and stats that I presented.

Is it not useful to know the following? ..(Does this not qualify helping others make their own decisions on what is best for them?)

-Tuition has been going up by 2k+ dollars every year. That your cost of education will not be the same as the time you entered school. You don't want to have more debt than earning potential do you? That 50% percent of that goes towards increasing wages?

At this rate (considering tuition is 40k, 42k, 44k, and 46k as you move from first to fourth year) , you will pay 172,000 dollars just in tuition for a job that pays you 100 to 125k before taxes (taxes on this type of income is 20-25%). Please also think about if you plan to borrow money for living expenses, you could be looking at 240,000 dollars for 4 years of tuition and living expenses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-fifth-of-all-graduate-school-debt/?tid=sm_fb

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/just-...u-s--gov-t-grad-student-loans-143717469.html#

-The Dean of MWU makes more money than UIC's Dean!
-Finding a spot to study in the library is at times very difficult! That there will be times when you will not be able to find a seat, generally around exams and finals week.
-That your classmates may not be as enthusiastic about becoming pharmacist as you are. The quality of students varies wildly. -ok an opinion.
-Housing on campus is limited and will become even more limited because they are taking away several of the dorms.
-(if you live on campus) The cafeteria closes around 6 pm and does not open at all on Sundays. So you have to plan accordingly. That you have a shared kitchen in the dorms and that trying to get a campus apartment is extremely difficult.
-Getting electives is based on lottery, not first come, first served.
-You start classes two weeks early as a first year with only a few classes at first and then the rest later. That your first quarter you will finish classes at different rates but that does not happen the remainder of your first year.
-You take most of your exams early in the morning at 7 am. If you are not a morning person this might be tough. Or if weather (winter/rain) and traffic (and there is a ton of traffic in the Chicagoland area) is bad, you will need to leave even earlier. I have heard of students leaving home 3 or 4 am in the winter to make it to morning exams.
-The school rarely ever closes during severe snow storms.
-During finals week, there are no dead days. You go straight from finishing class to taking finals. One or two per day for a week. (sorta brutal)
-Exams are sometimes not spaced out. And sometimes you finish a lecture the afternoon before an exam.
-That traffic on campus is really bad since there is only one entrance into and out of campus. You may be sitting in the parking garage for 20-30 minutes trying to leave campus.
-The school's gym is cramped and small. Where the weights are is a pretty dangerous room because there is not enough space.
-That there are geese on campus for all you who are afraid of birds. That they can get really aggressive and have been known to attack students on campus.
-The school only accepts the schools insurance. If you have any other insurance, you will be paying out of pocket to use their services.
-It takes weeks for the school to update your immunization records. Many times, your information is not put into the school's system or is lost and prevents your assignment for rotation.

-Trying to succeed at MWU
Learn what type of learner you are. Some classes you can outright memorize. Others, you will be challenged to apply knowledge.
-Generally, there is no curve for exams.
-Some professors do not upload their notes at all, or in time for you to print them out. Some may bring paper copies of notes for the whole class.
-Your classes will not be recorded for you to listen to later like other schools. Some professors do not allow you to record their lectures.
-In Calculations class, you will need to make a 90 % on the final to pass the pass. Otherwise, you will be required to redo the exam. If you have an A prior to the first final and make over 90%, you make an A. If you have to take the second final, you make a B, and third time, you make a C, regardless if you had a higher grade prior to entering the final.
-Winter quarters are difficult. Because one of your days is dedicated to rotations, some of your classes are doubled up to make up for that lost day. Also, your exam schedules are cramped, you will have an exam or two every week. I think you will only have 2 weeks in the winter quarter that you don't have an exam.
-Grades are based on +/- system.
-If you fail a class, you either can do a make up exam or repeat the class. You only qualify for a redo if the lowest exam grade were replaced with a 70% would allow you to pass.
-The redo exams are comprehensive.
-If you fail a class that is needed in a series of class work, you will have to repeat the year meaning you will have to wait for the following year to do that class. This can mean you only take 1 or 2 classes the following year.
-If you fail 3 classes, you are out of the program. Although you can appeal the decision, not many have been able to get the decision over turned.
-Most finals are not comprehensive but some are.
-Get involved early!

I am sorry if this is not the help that you were looking for or that it did not help you. Hopefully it helps someone make the right decision for themselves. I want everyone to succeed and that is by doing their best. It also means, making the decision of what is best for you and giving them knowledge that they wouldn't otherwise know or have.

Knowing what I know now, I would have gone somewhere else, that does not mean you feel the same way. If you want to be a pharmacist and CCP is the only way to get there, take it.
-Weigh the plus and minuses of every school you look at.
-If you are used to a semester or quarter system, stick with what you know.
-If you don't want your student loans to balloon out of control, think about what it will really cost you to attend (tuition + cost of living (most apartments are from 800-1200 dollars)) .
-Go to pharmacy school for the right reasons.

Last edited:
Wow... I know everyone has their own opinions, but just make a choice about where you go to pharmacy school. You should be able to get a feel for what you think is the right place for you. I'm going into my PS2 year at Midwestern and don't have any regrets. Some might feel differently, but again, that's why you ultimately need to decide what's best for you. Everyone is different.

Are justifying yourself on 8 yelp reviews? A site where where companies/organizations can pay people to post reviews. I guess you can but this is not a restaurant, where you can send back a dish if you don't like it. This is your future, where you will be taking out massive amount of loans and could possibly be spending 10 or more years of hard work paying them back.

I advise everyone to find reliable sources and not yelp to do their research.

I am using solid/reliable sites as the basis for my facts and you're use yelp, smh. I can't take that seriously.

Lunesta, well put, the more information that is presented, the better those reading this tread can make decisions. I am glad you feel you made the right choice.

Last edited:

I am currently a first year student who has made it to my second year. I can not say that about many of my classmates, who have either been held back a year or completely failed out. Currently, there are about 30 students who are being held back and about 15 or so who have failed out. You have to imagine that some of those being held back will probably fail next year as you can not fail more than 3 classes your whole time here at CCP. One of my classmates who failed out had a felony on his record, not a dwi like some others had, (yes, a felony charge).

I notice that this same message was posted in another thread and my thoughts on it are below:

I know a current Midwestern CCP 4th year student and I would say this:

Cost:
Yes, Midwestern is up there, but not really any different from any other private school (not the most expensive, but not the least).
You can really only do significantly better if you go to a public school. Also, the quality of education you're getting is quite high and it is a known and established school. True too though that they bump their tuition by about 2 grand a year.

Class mates on drugs and/or getting held back:
This is an issue with the school? I have heard LOTS of stories about your particular class and so I think you could definitely knock the school for reaching on accepting too many students just to fill a class. However, you probably should look on it as a positive that they haven't lowered their standards for moving people forward. Think about it this way: Most everyone else (from your year and years before you) made it through the exact same material. The school isn't making it harder just for your class. My friend went through the same thing. The first year almost seemed like a "weed out" year because you have to ramp it up from undergrad. However, it's probably better that way. If someone can not handle it, they probably should cash out early and move on something else. PharmD is still a doctorate degree and you should respect it and respect yourself. You should have high standards for yourself regardless of whether you feel like the school cares about you or is too hard on you. It shouldn't be like high school where everyone just floats on through as long as they just kind of want to graduate. Some Pharmacy students do have it easier than others (like if they just have better memory and can consume large amounts of information quickly), but even for those students it does require at least some minimal amount of focus.

The rest of the stuff you mention is just personal opinion and you could find someone to agree or disagree with each point.
For example, I've only seen the gym and dorms occasionally and I agree that the dorms and facilities are old. However, I personally like the Quarter system (I had it for undergrad) and my friend likes it at
Midwestern. It is indeed like a sprint, but just when you're starting to get tired of the routine, it's over, in the books, and on to the next quarter. It doesn't drag on or get stale. Again, just personal preference.

You may not see the value of the money being paid in terms of respect from professors or student amenities and you may be right to question some of that. It's supposed to be non-profit in the sense that all the money it gets must be fed back into the school, but you could indeed argue how much of the money goes to professors and building new facilities vs improving dorms and student amenities. However, I know that Midwestern CCP is not a diploma mill and they do make sure the students students come out of there with a certain level of quality.

As I mentioned above, I know UIC is a a better pharmacy school and is more competitive. I never said MW is better than UIC , I just mentioned MW has better Naplex rate, Although MW accept students with low GPA and Lower PCAT score compare to UIC, I just want to assure you people like you and your classmates that have Low GPA and low PCAT never had a chance to accept in UIC and also if you are not successful in MW be sure you could not able to pass courses in UIC because UIC is more challenging , you said people do not care to write anything after they are in, it is just your opinion , I saw many reviews and posts and comments from PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 student that really care hlping people , SDN shows you re a member since 06/19/2015 but you said, you used SDN when you were interviewing, I know who you are, you just signed different ID, SDN needs opinion and posts from brave and honest people

UIC is better than Midwestern in terms of cost for sure. That's a major reason why it's more competitive to get into as well. Midwestern used to get a small supplement from the state. However, Illinois ended that (due to the state having terrible budget management and the fact that Pharmacist are no longer in shortage) and so now the gap between CCP and the public universities is even greater. I don't know if nationally UIC might be perceived better or not. I know that locally, they are both perceived well in terms of quality of pharmacists coming out. I know people who have attended both and there are complaints of the facilities and equipment at UIC being very old (yes, even worse than the issues that CCPPharmD was complaining about) . However, due to the price difference, maybe that's no big deal. There's also a difference atmosphere. At Midwestern, the whole class tends to stick together. There are levels of closer knit friends too, but overall it's not uncommon for several people to share a study guide with the whole class. Whether you use some of it or not is your choice, but the main thing is that people offer it the whole class on facebook and ask for nothing in return. Also, Midwestern doesn't grade on a curve, so students aren't pitted against each other for an exam grade. It's purely based on your personal knowledge. That makes students go through it all equally together and more willing to help each other.
UIC is the better alternative if you purely go on tuition. Also, some may also feel that being in Chicago makes it better too, but that is more personal preference criteria. The bottom line is even if all things are equal, UIC is cheaper, but there may be other factors involved too.

Based on CCPPharmD's comments about his/her particular class though and reading some of his/her posts above, I might be kind of worried about their class. I know for a fact though that their class has/had some significant issues with teamwork and attitude so that part seems believable. However, logic makes me have a really hard time believing that a current student (in good standing) would have such a horrible attitude about the institution that they are currently attending, paying, and supposedly will be receiving a degree from. I don't see any reason why a person at this level of education would trash the credibility of the school they are attending. Your credibility as a health care professional is tied to the credibility of your school. If indeed CCPPharmD is truly a student there, instead of spending time trying to get others not to attend, they should probably seriously pursue a degree elsewhere. Why put good money after bad especially when the stakes are so high? It certainly would make for a more convincing argument since people who complain loudly about how terrible things are, but yet apparently not terrible enough to change their own situation, can quickly get tagged as trolls.

I wish I could but once you are locked in to an educational institution for graduate school, your choices are extremely limited to leave. This is not undergrad where you can transfer at every quarter or semester as you like. I am not sure if you are aware of the following.

If you want to transfer, you first and foremost have to be in good standing with the school.
Second, you have to have a valid reason to want to transfer. Simply saying I do not like being here is not good enough.
Third, your Dean is involved with sending out letters on your behalf asking for your transfer. They first have to approve your request and validate your reason for transferring.
Finally, your new institution must have space for you. If there is no a space for you, there is no chance for you to transfer, no matter how good your grades are, your letter from the Dean and your valid circumstance. It depends more on the availability of the other university than anything else. Your new school needs to verify that the level of education is equivalent to their system. That you have satisfied their curriculum. If they teach classes on a different schedule or teach in another way, you might be out of luck.

I have a class mate who is trying to transfer to be closer to his family (wife & kids) and as of right now (because the distance is a hardship to his family) to my current knowledge, they are unable to transfer him.

Otherwise, you could leave, and re-apply to other universities the following year but that raises all sorts of red flags. Not to mention being behind a year, your student loans will fall into repayment.

That is a broad and general statement to say that you sit in class with each other makes you a closer in unity. I have an elected position in my class and there are plenty of my class mates whom I do not know. And it is not from a lack of trying.

As far as helping others, as I was told from the classes above me, the trend to help each other out, outside your circle tends to lessen the the progression from first year to third year. (fyi- I am not looking for handouts or other people's work/notes. I attend all my classes and do my own work. I simply would not have it any other way. I am not looking to coast through any of my classes. I stand on my own work)

And no, I am not a troll. I have provided facts, and evidence in the form of statistics, articles (along with the sources) and first hand experience of being a student of CCP. Thanks :p

NetMag- I completely agree with you. I am not arguing that the education is too difficult. Other students were able to do the work and pass, so should you!!!! And I completely agree with you that not every student should make it. If you do not have what it takes to succeed on your own two feet then you should not advance because you will be in charge of life changing decisions in someones health. If you are not knowledgeable of the information given to you in class, you can possibly kill someone with medications.

I am saying though, to allow a student who had a felony on this record this completely unacceptable. I do not think you can argue with that can you?

I also do not understand your logic. There is no correlation between being a good student and having an opinion. I understand that convention dictates that a good student should be happy about their situation. I am not conventional. Is it not possible a student to make good grades in classes they do not particularly like or would want to take? Can I not have an opposite opinion or attitude? Have you never worked in a pharmacy and loved your job and never had to deal with an extremely difficult customer who drove you nuts? I want future students to read all of this and make their own decisions for themselves. Because, ultimately, you sleep in the bed you make.

One point you made is that MWU is not the most expensive school out there. And I agree, but considering that it is 23rd most expensive institution out of 127 schools (according to http://pharmacy-schools.startclass.com/ ). 95% of the all pharmacy schools are cheaper than MWU. I am not sure you are getting a really good deal. Taking into account that you will be charged interest on your loan at roughly 6.something % compounded daily on your loan. I just know when you are and are not getting value for your dollar, (sorry my economics classes are coming in handy). Also not to forget to mention MWU is 8 in leading students into debt. Not a reputation you want to have.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mollyhensle...e-65-billion-from-graduate-degrees#.esW0zlEAQ

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ible-for-a-fifth-of-all-graduate-school-debt/

Thanks for verifying that tuition goes up every year by 2k. I wish I took a screen shot of how the increase in tuition is distributed when you log into your (my) MWUNet account. It is the first thing that pops up once the letter is given to students and forces you to acknowledge it before you can move to see your grades or view your email through the schools server.

Last edited:
I actually was suggesting that you just leave and start again somewhere else. You don't have to leave on bad terms. If you're just a P2 and young, it would be a loss that you can recoup. Transferring would save money though. You can make up any reason you want to make it palatable. Again, I would consider it more sincere if you at least attempted something. Claiming that you're completely locked in is not really true. However, if you're saying it's not really bad enough to make that kind of move, then just say that.

I don't disagree with you at all that the school has some flaws, but the most important thing is that the quality of education is not one of them. Also, I DO disagree with you attempting to trash future classes due to the deficits and hard feelings related to your current class.

Again, I say that anyone who did poorly enough to get left behind, probably should've been left behind. The material is no harder than that any other class had and those classes were fine overall. Some people may just need another year to mature and focus. That shouldn't really be a concern for you though.
The concern for you is to maximize the value of the degree your getting. You should be more concerned that moving forward, your degree and credibility is not diminished. That is not accomplished by trashing your own school or trying to derail future classes. Quite frankly, this kind of trolling shows a bit of immaturity. By your own logic, if indeed you feel "locked in" then thrashing about and trying to trash the school on the internet is not a rational solution. Instead you should focus on tangible reality and making your current class better. Make things better for yourself and encourage your classmates to be better and more professional too. In the end, it's in your best interest. You want to walk out of there with a degree that means something and you should be encouraging the incoming people to do the same so that they don't mess up your credibility. You should want them to maintain the reputation of the school even if it's just to protect your investment.

Also, I'm not in any way saying that you should be all lovey dovey about the school. In recent years, they may be reaching too much to fill a class. However, you should focus on the benefits and at least consider it a professional relationship. Nothing more and nothing less.

Hello, since MWU CCP not longer requires a supplemental, how does the selection of interview dates work for applicants? If you submit the application in September would it be possible to select an interview date in December or January (in the event that you are waiting to hear back from another school) or do they only give you a a few interview dates to choose from that are within a month or two after submitting your pharmcas app?

Hello, since MWU CCP not longer requires a supplemental, how does the selection of interview dates work for applicants? If you submit the application in September would it be possible to select an interview date in December or January (in the event that you are waiting to hear back from another school) or do they only give you a a few interview dates to choose from that are within a month or two after submitting your pharmcas app?

If you submit in September, they'll most likely offer you late October/November interview dates. I do know that if you email admissions and let them know that you'd prefer a later date, they can set that up for you as well. You'll just not officially select a date until it gets a little later in the application cycle when they have those later dates finalized.

Hello all who are attending, had a question for you guys. How are you enjoying this school? are the surroundings a safe place to be out around?