Midwestern Class of 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
... Resiliency is the goal y'all. I think that's kind of the bottom line here.
If you find rejection at your door, open the door, be pissed, tell her to go home, and then start with your applications again next year with more determination and fervor than before.

Create a support system within yourself for dealing with grief and rejection. Adulting and (I assume) being an awesome vet requires it.

giphy.gif

No matter what the outcome becomes; know you've got it if you're rejected everywhere. You've got it if you decide to apply next year and you've got it if you decide to pursue a different avenue. I think everyone on this forum knows how strong you are already -- you've made it this far and you'll undoubtedly make it to the end of application season, no matter what the result.

Also somewhat related: IMO, lower expectations and being surprised > great expectations and being disappointed.

Hahaha that gif, thanks :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Rejection 101 may likely be a course offered in school one day because too many people are sheltered from it as they grow up. It's sad really. I'm sure my folks did their best to protect me at times, but they also let me fall flat on my face time and time again. It's just part of growing up.

Rejection is part of being a well-rounded individual/adult. My hat is off to those applicants on their 3, 4, x# cycle and still applying.:=|:-): Yes application rejection does sting a bit (already experienced it this cycle), but it's only a small taste of what adult life will bring (I've had a few liters of that myself over the years). Take it for what it is, learn from it, and strive to improve.

Worst case scenario - you turn a little salty and give your advice to strangers on the Internet. So suck it up buttercup and drive on.:whistle:

Reactions: 4 users
Especially in this profession, rejection never stops. At least, for those in clinical practice. I dunno about the path people, lab people, etc, though presumably their own special forms of hell exist there, too.

Not a single shift goes by for me where at least ... geez ... I dunno .... 50%? 75%? more? .... of my clients reject my recommendation. It's constant. And then they rub salt in your wound by throwing out some comment like "my breeder said [not to do what you're recommending]" or "my neighbor who also owns a dog said [not to do what you're recommending]" or "I read on the Internet [not to do what you're recommending]" or .... any of the thousand variants. Or "that's awfully expensive, doc, and it's just a dog," says the guy who pulled up in a car I'll never even remotely be able to consider affording.

Reading here on SDN that stuff may not seem like 'rejection' but believe me - it can feel that way.

So learn to take rejection well. Learn to either spit at it and tromp on it, or learn to let it roll off your back, or ... whatever it takes. Because it will NOT stop with vet school admissions. Promise. :)

Lots of good advice in the last few posts about it. But the important part is - don't determine your own value based off rejection.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking of stats...... Notice the majority of vet schools average age when admitted is 25? Many applicants experience a year or two of rejection. Time to beef up your profile and try again! My daughter interviewed at Midwestern on November 4th. She received her acceptance e-mail November 11th. We are thrilled!... Age 25, GPA 3.4, science GPA 3.7, GRE =not good! Many extra activities, (emphasis on sports) 2 yrs research. Thousands of hours as vet tech, 2 different clinics. Keep your heads up and continue moving forward!

Reactions: 1 users
To all of you who haven't interviewed yet I would definitely recommend practicing someone interviewing you with ethical questions. I went into the interview with high hopes because everyone so far has said its just them getting to know you but my interview panel was actually quite intense today. I was asked 3 + ethical questions and for every response be prepared to explain why. The school is beautiful and everyone was very nice but the interview was actually quite terrifying. That being said I wish everyone luck as they continue interviewing with both Midwestern and other schools!

To all of you who haven't interviewed yet I would definitely recommend practicing someone interviewing you with ethical questions. I went into the interview with high hopes because everyone so far has said its just them getting to know you but my interview panel was actually quite intense today. I was asked 3 + ethical questions and for every response be prepared to explain why. The school is beautiful and everyone was very nice but the interview was actually quite terrifying. That being said I wish everyone luck as they continue interviewing with both Midwestern and other schools!
Sounds like they are getting tougher with their interviews. I was asked a couple ethical questions in my interview. I'm sorry you felt it was terrifying

Jeez, I am sorry it wasn't a great experience for you! I got asked one ethical question but it wasn't anything that I wasn't prepared for. I feel like we may have run out of time because I really only felt like I was in the interview room itself for 10-15 minutes. Maybe it was longer but I just didn't realize... But the interviewers did come sit with us afterwards and chatted so I think that may have been an unofficial part of the interview as well.

Thank you! I am sure you did better than you think!

Also somewhat related: IMO, lower expectations and being surprised > great expectations and being disappointed.
My philosophy in life. Or with a slight variation, prepare for the worst but hope for the best. It's served me pretty well so far considering I applied this cycle not knowing if I would get any interviews with a pretty dismal (3.18 cum.) GPA. Two interviews/invites later and I'm slightly more confident than I was initially. Hah.

With that said, I am still waiting on hearing back from Midwestern! I got an email on 11/9 saying that my application was incomplete because my GRE scores weren't added to my application at first. Got that figured out and now I'm in the "2-3 week processing" phase where they decide whether to interview or not.

I think I actually look forward to ethical questions if I do get an interview. It seems like I get bombarded with ethical questions from friends/family whenever I mention I want to do research as a vet anyways, so maybe that's good practice? :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
My philosophy in life. Or with a slight variation, prepare for the worst but hope for the best.

Exactly.

With that said, I am still waiting on hearing back from Midwestern!

I also haven't heard fro Midwestern either, but have received an interview invite elsewhere. I also have a cumulative GPA similar to yours. My application is under review, however.

I think I actually look forward to ethical questions if I do get an interview.

Me also! I think the best part about ethical questions is that for ethical quandaries there can exist various correct viewpoints. I think I actually enjoy ethics, though, so. . . :)

My philosophy in life. Or with a slight variation, prepare for the worst but hope for the best. It's served me pretty well so far considering I applied this cycle not knowing if I would get any interviews with a pretty dismal (3.18 cum.) GPA. Two interviews/invites later and I'm slightly more confident than I was initially. Hah.

With that said, I am still waiting on hearing back from Midwestern! I got an email on 11/9 saying that my application was incomplete because my GRE scores weren't added to my application at first. Got that figured out and now I'm in the "2-3 week processing" phase where they decide whether to interview or not.

I think I actually look forward to ethical questions if I do get an interview. It seems like I get bombarded with ethical questions from friends/family whenever I mention I want to do research as a vet anyways, so maybe that's good practice? :laugh:
Likewise! Although my science GPA is a lot higher and I have quite the upward trend, my cumulative GPA is pretty dang sad. To be honest, I applied expecting to not make it to the interview phase at even one school; thus far, I've recieved interviews at 3/4 (technically 4/4 since I'm IS for Mizzou, who interviews all IS so long as they meet the minimum requirements). Still trying to keep my expectations low so that, if I do manage to get in somewhere, I can be pleasantly surprised but if I don't... hopefully the rejections won't sting too much. And I do have a bit of a backup plan in mind, too. ;)

I honestly didn't expect to even make it to this point, so I am already pretty darn proud of how far I've come in the past few years! During high school and my freshman year, I was in some really, really dark places.

The ethics questions they asked in my interview were pretty standard and made complete sense why they would ask. I had no trouble answering them at all, so don't stress. They even told me after one of them "that question is hard to pick a side no matter what, there really is no correct answer, you just need to go with your gut and stick by it."

Members don't see this ad :)
Likewise! Although my science GPA is a lot higher and I have quite the upward trend, my cumulative GPA is pretty dang sad. To be honest, I applied expecting to not make it to the interview phase at even one school; thus far, I've recieved interviews at 3/4 (technically 4/4 since I'm IS for Mizzou, who interviews all IS so long as they meet the minimum requirements). Still trying to keep my expectations low so that, if I do manage to get in somewhere, I can be pleasantly surprised but if I don't... hopefully the rejections won't sting too much. And I do have a bit of a backup plan in mind, too. ;)

I honestly didn't expect to even make it to this point, so I am already pretty darn proud of how far I've come in the past few years! During high school and my freshman year, I was in some really, really dark places.

I hear you. I think once you start past the 120 mark in credit hours, you have little room to budge. Just have to make it up elsewhere! It sounds like you did.

Congratulations on all your interview letters! I can only imagine how delighted you must be. :)

The ethics questions they asked in my interview were pretty standard and made complete sense why they would ask. I had no trouble answering them at all, so don't stress. They even told me after one of them "that question is hard to pick a side no matter what, there really is no correct answer, you just need to go with your gut and stick by it."

Were the ethical questions veterinary related? I would assume so, but I just wanted to confirm since it hasn't been explicitly stated.

Were the ethical questions veterinary related? I would assume so, but I just wanted to confirm since it hasn't been explicitly stated.
Yes :) and you need no actual veterinary knowledge to answer them. It's purely "what would you do if....." And both option A and B suck, but it's up to you to decide which sucks less and why.

Yes :) and you need no actual veterinary knowledge to answer them. It's purely "what would you do if....." And both option A and B suck, but it's up to you to decide which sucks less and why.
Thanks for clarifying! Oooh, I definitely will look forward to that then. I think those kinds of questions are fun to discuss.

Does anyone have any resources that list ethical questions, or like controversial topics?
Off the top of my head, I can think of: use of animals in research and/or teaching, euthanasia (when vet and owner disagree), what to do when the owner can't pay, food animal welfare (and practices such as farrowing crates, veal production, etc), exotics as pets.

Thanks for clarifying! Oooh, I definitely will look forward to that then. I think those kinds of questions are fun to discuss.

Does anyone have any resources that list ethical questions, or like controversial topics?
Off the top of my head, I can think of: use of animals in research and/or teaching, euthanasia (when vet and owner disagree), what to do when the owner can't pay, food animal welfare (and practices such as farrowing crates, veal production, etc), exotics as pets.

I don't know to what extent are we allow to discuss our interview in an open forum like this, but I will say I only got one ethical question (which came up as a follow up to another question. Not sure if I would have gotten one otherwise) during my interview yesterday, and it was one of the ones you listed (again not saying which one).

I don't know to what extent are we allow to discuss our interview in an open forum like this, but I will say I only got one ethical question (which came up as a follow up to another question. Not sure if I would have gotten one otherwise) during my interview yesterday, and it was one of the ones you listed (again not saying which one).
Yeah, I completely understand if you don't say what question you were asked specifically. I just figured it might be a good resource for those who might want to prep for this one, or other interviews that may ask ethical questions.

Thank you though!

probably any sort of cosmetic surgery - declawing, docking tails, cropping ears, etc. but you pretty much nailed all the big categories.

Has anyone received interview invites or rejections lately? I still haven't heard from them :wtf:

OK i could be wrong.. but I am under the impression they do not send rejections until late in the game? I think you either get an interview invite or you are waitlisted for an interview, but maybe someone who knows more about it can add to this?

OK i could be wrong.. but I am under the impression they do not send rejections until late in the game? I think you either get an interview invite or you are waitlisted for an interview, but maybe someone who knows more about it can add to this?
They only let you know if you've been accepted with an email and a change to your portal. You have to call to find out whether you were rejected or put on the alternate list. As for notices I called 2 weeks ago and was told I was an alternate I received an official letter from Midwestern on Monday.

That seems like that makes sense. From what people have said about past years, not outright rejecting people makes sense if they want to keep interviewing and doing rolling admissions to fill spots as they get closer to fall.

At the same time, I think I would prefer being rejected/invited for an interview as opposed to not hearing anything for months at a time. o_O

They only let you know if you've been accepted with an email and a change to your portal. You have to call to find out whether you were rejected or put on the alternate list. As for notices I called 2 weeks ago and was told I was an alternate I received an official letter from Midwestern on Monday.
The thing is, I have called and emailed and they just say its still being reviewed by the vet admissions but my application is considered complete

The thing is, I have called and emailed and they just say its still being reviewed by the vet admissions but my application is considered complete
Hmm I'm not sure when the next time the admissions board meets up, but I hope you hear something soon.

Hmm I'm not sure when the next time the admissions board meets up, but I hope you hear something soon.

They said they should be meeting next Monday toward the end of my tour and interviews from the last two weeks should hear back by late that day or Tuesday. That said, they also said that is what was planned, and might be delayed depending on what happens.

Hey guys I'm curious: did your undergrad colleges have an agreement with Midwestern to replace some of the 12 units of organic chemistry With multiple semesters/quarters of biochemistry instead? Wondering if my school was the only one to have this agreement?
I only took one semester of organic that was 5 credits and they accepted it.

They were supposed to meet today and go over interviews from the last 2 sessions. Has anyone heard anything yet?

How soon after the meeting should we know something?

I found out the day after they met. It was a Tuesday at around 10:00 when my portal changed, and they called the next day at around 2 ish.

I couldn't wait any longer so I decided to call them. They didn't get to my application and the person I talked to didn't know when they meet again. More days of stress :(

I couldn't wait any longer so I decided to call them. They didn't get to my application and the person I talked to didn't know when they meet again. More days of stress :(
Are you waiting on an interview invite or did you have your interview already?

I just called as well and was told that they met yesterday and that decisions had been made but they were waiting on the Dean's approval and it was up to the Dean when that will be done.

I just called as well and was told that they met yesterday and that decisions had been made but they were waiting on the Dean's approval and it was up to the Dean when that will be done.

Thanks for the update! Its good to know that decisions were made and we are all just going to have to constantly check for updates while we wait for the deans approval. :dead:

Hopefully my portal would change in these few days, kinda doubt it though since it is Thanksgiving week. Maybe we will hear back next week?

So I called again and this time they actually asked for my last name and checked on my application. Apparently they didn't get to or past anyone from the Nov 9th interviews and after so I guess we'll be hearing about it 2 weeks from now when they meet again.

So I called again and this time they actually asked for my last name and checked on my application. Apparently they didn't get to or past anyone from the Nov 9th interviews and after so I guess we'll be hearing about it 2 weeks from now when they meet again.
That sucks. I also called yesterday and they gave me the same info that it was in the Dean's hand, but I was on 11/18. Just gotta not think about it I guess...

My interview is coming up fast - December 2nd! How are the rest of you doing? I just NOW started getting nervous about it even though I've been fine for the past two months, hah.

An application being complete is not the same as having been reviewed. Complete means they have all the stuff they need to review it, reviewed means they have actually gone through it and are in the process of making a decision.

My interview is coming up fast - December 2nd! How are the rest of you doing? I just NOW started getting nervous about it even though I've been fine for the past two months, hah.
Same story here. I'm flying in tomorrow and I am just NOW starting to get nervous; with it being my first interview, I'm so scared that I'm going to somehow manage to mess it up, haha. And then, just a few days later, I've got my Iowa State interview, too. Eek!

An application being complete is not the same as having been reviewed. Complete means they have all the stuff they need to review it, reviewed means they have actually gone through it and are in the process of making a decision.
Yea, I'm just not sure why I haven't heard back yet, since they do have rolling admissions. I'm almost expecting bad news :(

Oh I am in full blown freak out mode hahaha. I fly out tomorrow!

My accepted student checklist popped up! I interviewed Nov. 9th!

Reactions: 7 users
I...I also see the accepted student checklist...interviewed Nov. 18. Nothing about Matriculation Payment yet, but...well as you may guess my brain isn't working straight...is that being accepted, or an error?

Reactions: 7 users
Same here! Interviewed Nov 10th. I see now the matriculation agreement as a required document in my checklist!

Reactions: 6 users
Did anyone get wait listed for an interview? I Just got that email today I'm totally bummed.