Midwestern Class of 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Penelope, if its not too much to ask, what's a typical day for you at Midwestern? Awake schedule, sleep, studying, extra activities/clubs, etc. I'm trying to get myself into a schedule that reflects the life of a vet student so it doesn't hit me too hard (impossible I know, but I can try). Also any advice for incoming first years is much appreciated!
I want to start by saying that you can make your vet school experience be the way you want it to be! For me personally I want to get an internship and match for a residency once I graduate, so for me I'm a little psycho and focus most of my time trying to keep up my GPA. If I wasn't so focused on a residency I think I could cut my current study time in half and pass vet school.
In general the schedule is not very consistent. Your first year schedule will be much less intense than second year- but it is just as challenging. It feels like forever since first year but I'll try to give the best picture I can. Class is Monday through Friday, and classes usually start at 9am but sometimes they start at 8 or maybe even 10. Class usually goes until 4pm but on Tuesdays and Thursdays you will have anatomy lab that goes until 5pm.
I personally study after school with my study group until 7pm on weekdays that we do not have exams and until 8 or 9pm on weeks we have tests. On weekends my study group will study from 9am to 8pm Saturday and Sunday when we are preparing for a test, or 10am to 6pm if there are no exams. I make sure to take at least an hour every night to hang out with my boyfriend, eat dinner and watch some TV. I know other students will go for hikes, go to the gym, meet up at the dog park, or play intramural sports.
I need my sleep so Im usually asleep by 11 and then I wake up at 6:30am so I try and get at least 7 hours of sleep but I try and aim for 8 :) I am also president for a club and it is hard to find times to schedule events but we have put on a few events and I try and participate in other club activities.
My advice is to be prepared for a challenge. But also be prepared to make friends that you will have for a lifetime. It will be stressful at times but just remember you are learning things you have always wanted to know! And our program does a good job of giving us lots of hands on opportunities to keep us excited and motivated. I am very excited for all of you! This is such a great school and I feel like I am having an amazing vet school experience!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just gave up my seat! I hope someone else on here gets it! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Daughter accepted at her IS school! Giving up her Midwestern seat......Good luck to all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! We have a 3rd year from Mizzou doing an externiship at my clinic for the next few months. She is doing a great job and is very knowledgeable so Mizzou must be doing something right!

Congrats! We have a 3rd year from Mizzou doing an externiship at my clinic for the next few months. She is doing a great job and is very knowledgeable so Mizzou must be doing something right!
Can't wait to be in her position! Mizzou knows how to prepare them! :D I also have a student from mizzou doing rotations at the hospital I work at. She's awesome!

I just gave up my seat so I hope someone on here gets it! Good luck to all!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,
Does anyone know when MWU will send out invitation/rejection letters for wait-listed students? I have been in wait-list since September 24th...

Hello,
Does anyone know when MWU will send out invitation/rejection letters for wait-listed students? I have been in wait-list since September 24th...

I think someone said in April after the deadline to choose a school, I'm not entirely sure.

Can I ask how long after your interview did you get notification of being wait listed? My interview was 10 days ago and I haven't heard anything. I know they said it would be a couple weeks so I'm not worried just yet, but I know some people knew after about 5 days or so.

I think someone said in April after the deadline to choose a school, I'm not entirely sure.

Can I ask how long after your interview did you get notification of being wait listed? My interview was 10 days ago and I haven't heard anything. I know they said it would be a couple weeks so I'm not worried just yet, but I know some people knew after about 5 days or so.

I was at the same interview as you, wildanimal, on the 21st. They said they'd be meeting tomorrow or Tuesday.

No, I haven't gotten an interview yet =/. Actually, I got wait-listed for an interview in Sept.

If you check your portal and the "accepted student checklist" appears with a list of things to do then you have been accepted.

I was at the same interview as you, wildanimal, on the 21st. They said they'd be meeting tomorrow or Tuesday.

Awesome, thank you! Did you call them or did they tell us that at the interview? I don't remember if they did.

No, I haven't gotten an interview yet =/. Actually, I got wait-listed for an interview in Sept.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize. I think they may get to wait listed interviews earlier than April, at least I hope they do.

If you check your portal and the "accepted student checklist" appears with a list of things to do then you have been accepted.

Oh yes, I have. Haven't seen anything on there yet but thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a question. Will they give the interview-wait-list students an interview even if they have lots of wait-listed student for acceptance?

So many accepted Midwestern students continue to wait on notification from their IS schools, or a less expensive school. I believe wait listed Midwestern applicants have percentages greatly in their favor!

So I have a question. Will they give the interview-wait-list students an interview even if they have lots of wait-listed student for acceptance?
Yes, I'm curious as to how this works, as well. I'm a post-interview alternate... I would imagine that if they go through that particular waitlist and there are still vacancies in the class, they'd start offering interviews for the interview waitlisted applicants. But take that with a grain of salt, obviously.

So...

Accepted students ---> Alternates ---> Interview waitlist...?

Awesome, thank you! Did you call them or did they tell us that at the interview? I don't remember if they did.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize. I think they may get to wait listed interviews earlier than April, at least I hope they do.

Oh yes, I have. Haven't seen anything on there yet but thank you :)

Oh sorry I misread lol. It took about 2 to 3 weeks for my group to hear. But if they are meeting today or tomorrow you are going to know either today or tomorrow probably. Good luck!

I'm already worrying about finding a house that allows over 3 pets, and finding roomies :scared:

I have 2 corgis and a cat... and a snake. All the houses I've found so far only allow 3 pets tops, and if I can find a place with 2 or 3 roommates (hopefully vet students) and THEY have pets, I don't know what I'm going to do! And I won't be able to start seriously looking until May because that's when my significant other will know if he's accepted to the DO program or not... Stress stress stress.

Someone please send me a margarita...

Last edited:
I'm already worrying about finding a house that allows over 3 pets, and finding roomies :scared:

I have 2 corgis and a cat... and a snake. All the houses I've found so far only allow 3 pets tops, and if I can find a place with 2 or 3 roommates (hopefully vet students) and THEY have pets, I don't know what I'm going to do! And I won't be able to start seriously looking until May because that's when my significant other will know if he's accepted to the DO program or not... Stress stress stress.

Have you tried looking at rental houses? I'm starting to get worried too, I want to out there and look at places! I think that might be my spring break plan if anyone wants to go with. I'm probably going to live a bit further away since I have 2 dogs and don't want to pay insane rent.

Have you tried looking at rental houses? I'm starting to get worried too, I want to out there and look at places! I think that might be my spring break plan if anyone wants to go with. I'm probably going to live a bit further away since I have 2 dogs and don't want to pay insane rent.

The rental houses run about $1200 for a 3bed/2bath, so thats about $400 a person. That's what I want, a house with a yard for the babies! I would even consider living in a 4 bedroom house with 3 others, because it would be cheaper. BUT everyone would have to be okay with the animals. Lol. And if they have pets, that would be even more. Luckily, my cat LOVES other cats and my dogs are super cat friendly, but it's still hard to tell if animals get along until they are physically together.

I have no idea what I'll do about housing because my situation is so weird!

I live in AZ about 1 hour and 15 minutes from the school. I live in a house with my husband, but we're actually separated. I haven't moved out because of lack of funds plus this is my kids' home, I like that they have some stability. My daughter's school is right behind my house and it's an amazing school.

But I just don't want to drive over an hour each way every single day. That cuts in greatly to study time and much needed relaxation. Plus I don't want to depend on my ex for four more years.

I figure I'd move out and live off loans like other vet students and just live in Glendale. See my kids on the weekends and days that I don't have to study as much. I already knew that vet school would greatly cut into my time with my kids and there would be days I didn't see them, which I can handle. My biggest problem is finding people who are cool with kids being over occasionally. I really can't afford a place of my own when my loan amounts are going to be so high already.

Did they give you a numerical value of wait-list ranking?
They do not rank the "alternate" list I was corrected when I called. Waitlist is for those who are on a list to be interviewed if they need to do more interviews. The alternate list is for those who are awaiting acceptance if the current accepted students decline or don't make the deposit. I called last week there was 42 people on the alternate list, but she wasn't sure how they pick the alternates since they weren't ranked. She did say they make it through a decent chunk of alternates when forming the class.

They do not rank the "alternate" list I was corrected when I called. Waitlist is for those who are on a list to be interviewed if they need to do more interviews. The alternate list is for those who are awaiting acceptance if the current accepted students decline or don't make the deposit. I called last week there was 42 people on the alternate list, but she wasn't sure how they pick the alternates since they weren't ranked. She did say they make it through a decent chunk of alternates when forming the class.
Correct - But since Ive never heard of a wait-list for interviews, Im curious if they have a ranking system for it?

Did they give you a numerical value of wait-list ranking?

They do not rank for interview wait-listed students. I sent an email to them a month ago and they replied this:
As an applicant on the waitlist, your file will be re-reviewed once the committee has reviewed all new applications. All applicants on the waitlist are in a pool and therefore not ranked.

Has anyone gotten any sort of acceptance packet or anything? I'm kind of sad I didn't get 'the big envelope', just an email and phone call.

Has anyone gotten any sort of acceptance packet or anything? I'm kind of sad I didn't get 'the big envelope', just an email and phone call.
I got one in the mail eventually! I think it was maybe two weeks after I was accepted. Could have been longer.

I got one in the mail eventually! I think it was maybe two weeks after I was accepted. Could have been longer.
I accepted on the 13th...I guess if I don't get anything for a month I'll email my counselor. Was the packet helpful?

It is just your acceptance letter in paper form.

I see the accepted student checklist!!!! That means I got in, right?!

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you! They haven't called or emailed me yet, should I be expecting those?

I got my call/email two days later and a letter in the mail about 2-3 weeks later.

Gotcha! It's feels so unofficial without a call or something.

Also, I received my call and email today. Feels good!

So for those that are still waiting to hear back from the adminssion office. I called today and they said they have sent out approx 130 acceptance letter, there are 47 alternate, and they have interviews scheduled all the way till April. :/

So for those that are still waiting to hear back from the adminssion office. I called today and they said they have sent out approx 130 acceptance letter, there are 47 alternate, and they have interviews scheduled all the way till April. :/

Found out I'm an alternate from the last round on 1/21..I just want in!!! :( waiting game begins again...

Congrats to everyone accepted so far!

Don't get your hopes up just yet. Last year. Many people got called off alternate list.

I accepted on the 13th...I guess if I don't get anything for a month I'll email my counselor. Was the packet helpful?
Got my letter today, same acceptance batch as you. It was only a letter, though, not a packet.

Got my letter today, same acceptance batch as you. It was only a letter, though, not a packet.
Got mine today too :). I wish it was a packet :/

Got mine today too :). I wish it was a packet :/

You guys got an ACCEPTANCE LETTER into an amazing vet school! We are going to be vets!! And you're worried about only getting a letter? Be happy! You did it! I'll send you a packet with cute animal pics and financial aid info if you want! :p ❤️

Reactions: 4 users
You guys got an ACCEPTANCE LETTER into an amazing vet school! We are going to be vets!! And you're worried about only getting a letter? Be happy! You did it! I'll send you a packet with cute animal pics and financial aid info if you want! :p ❤️
I'm super excited! I just...I want to know EVERYTHING! I keep emailing my counselor asking like what supplies I need and what I should get! I overplan way too much

I'm super excited! I just...I want to know EVERYTHING! I keep emailing my counselor asking like what supplies I need and what I should get! I overplan way too much

I know how you feel! I'm the same way! I'm sure they will send us more info as matriculation gets closer :) however, I will say that I've already started shopping for business casual clothes out the wazzoo... Lol

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not disappointed. I'm ecstatic! I may have done a happy dance all the way from the mailbox to my front door. ;-)
I was just trying to answer the question.

I know how you guys feel. I want all the information now. I want my class schedule and supply list and list of everything that needs to get done before school starts. I want to start shopping for everything I need especially. Weird comparison, but it's similar to pregnancy. You're so excited and want to get everything ready right away, but you're barely pregnant and don't even know the gender and you have a whole 9 months haha.

Just paid my deposit! An official Midwestern Vet Student!!!! :) Had to choose between Midwestern and Western and honestly it wasn't a hard choice, Midwestern blew me away at the interview, so impressed!!! Can't wait to meet all of you in the class of 2020!!

I know how you guys feel. I want all the information now. I want my class schedule and supply list and list of everything that needs to get done before school starts. I want to start shopping for everything I need especially. Weird comparison, but it's similar to pregnancy. You're so excited and want to get everything ready right away, but you're barely pregnant and don't even know the gender and you have a whole 9 months haha.

LMFAO......currently impregnated by MWU :rofl::laugh:

I know how you feel! I'm the same way! I'm sure they will send us more info as matriculation gets closer :) however, I will say that I've already started shopping for business casual clothes out the wazzoo... Lol

I have already started dressing business casual to school everyday just so the transition isn't so rough o_O And we know the classes we will start in the fall but I believe they said we get the actual scheduled times during orientation. I could be totally wrong about that haha.

Reactions: 2 users