Midwestern Class of 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What days are orientation?

According to the welcome letter posted in the portal in December ...

December 29, 2015

Dear First Year Veterinary Medicine Student:

Congratulations on your acceptance to Midwestern University! We thought it would be appropriate to give you a few details regarding the orientation program scheduled for August 22nd- 24th, 2016. Orientation schedules listing specific details will be given to you during check-in, as schedules may be subject to change. Please be aware that attendance is mandatory for all days of the orientation program. If, for any reason, you cannot attend orientation you will need to contact the Veterinary Medicine Dean’s Office at (623) 537-6360. You may dress casually for the orientation program, however please note that your student ID and class composite will be taken on the first day of orientation. Please refrain from wearing a hat on that day. You may access a wide variety of information on the intranet by going to http://online.midwestern.edu and navigating through your specific program site. There are a number of forms that must be completed for your file in Student Services. These forms include the Student Health Status Form and Student Immunization Record. There is also information that outlines the Student Health Insurance program. Students can access all of this information through the Student Services tab at http://online.midwestern.edu.

On Monday, August 22nd, you will be required to check-in at 8:00am in the Wellness and Recreation Center. A continental breakfast will be provided. During check-in, representatives from Admissions and Student Services will be available to assist you, as well as members from your specific program. Orientation will conclude at 4:30pm each day (subject to change). Classes will begin on Monday, August 29th, 2016. Copies of your schedule will be provided during your program specific sessions during orientation.

Items to Bring to Orientation

To ensure that you maximize your orientation experience, you should bring the following items with you:
-updated admissions transcripts (if necessary)
-immunization and/or titer documentation with appropriate signatures (see below)
-driver’s license and auto insurance card to complete vehicle registration (complete vehicle registration at your student portal under My Info) (http://online.midwestern.edu).

Reactions: 2 users
For the required immunizations and titers... Are we supposed to make sure we have records for all the listed vaccines before we get to orientation, but wait for any titers because we will do it there after?

Are we supposed to do the rabies vaccine series before orientation or wait until after for that as well?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current MWU students,
What will orientation be like?
It sounds like we won't know the schedule until the day it starts.

Will there be another tour/lots of walking?
Do families come with us or is it more of a student only thing?
What else?

We had a LOT of housekeeping stuff the first day, but we got to take a scavenger hunt and we did some team building stuff. I know this wasn't that long ago, but I can barely remember those days!

Reactions: 1 user
For the required immunizations and titers... Are we supposed to make sure we have records for all the listed vaccines before we get to orientation, but wait for any titers because we will do it there after?

Are we supposed to do the rabies vaccine series before orientation or wait until after for that as well?

I did all my titers and vaccines before, because I had decent health insurance at the time and didn't have to pay for it. I also just didn't want to have to worry about scheduling my rabies vaccines around classes. Too much stress! But I think you have until the end of first year (don't quote me on that. You do have a little time after classes begin) to complete all of your vaccine requirements.

On a completely different note and because I just had to pay for pet food, does anyone know if MWU gets discounts on petfood like some of the other vet schools do?

Also, does anyone know if they offer discount on services for our pets as well? blood work, vaccines, etc.?

Oh since we're on the topic of orientation, I was curious about the first days after orientation and first days/weeks of class. What should we do to familiarize ourselves with the school/area, etc. Also what to expect in terms of class size/ lab size. Any info would be great!

@GreyhoundLove Sorry if we have tons of questions. If you can answer any it's very much appreciated! :)

On a completely different note and because I just had to pay for pet food, does anyone know if MWU gets discounts on petfood like some of the other vet schools do?
We unfortunately do not get any free products at this time. Our clinic does have the lowest prices in the area and all midwestern students get 20% off.

Last edited:
Oh since we're on the topic of orientation, I was curious about the first days after orientation and first days/weeks of class. What should we do to familiarize ourselves with the school/area, etc. Also what to expect in terms of class size/ lab size. Any info would be great!
You will get your class schedule before school actually starts and you should get your ID badge by the end of orientation. If you want to get more familiar with the school it might be nice to go on campus a few days early and walk around to get familiar with the buildings. Most of your classes will be in Ocotillo or Cactus Wren. For all lectures you will be with your 100 classmates, sometimes they will be broken down into smaller groups for discussions and cases. Anatomy lab will also be 100 students at once but you are in groups of 5 and one of the 5 members rotates every week to be on a horse cadaver, so it will only be four people to a canine cadaver every week. Not sure if that answered your questions? Let me know if there is anything else I can answer :)

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed on February 17th, has anyone who has recently interviewed heard from the admissions committee yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on February 17th, has anyone who has recently interviewed heard from the admissions committee yet?
I believe they met that Mon prior, I too had my interview on the 17th! So they said they should meet Mar 7th (they meet every 2 weeks) I assuming sometime around there.

@GreyhoundLove Sorry if we have tons of questions. If you can answer any it's very much appreciated! :)
That is what we are here for! @PenelopeRenee is a year ahead of me, so she is probably a better source, but we are always eager to help, especially since we are excited to have more students!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Has anyone received denial letters from them?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You will get your class schedule before school actually starts and you should get your ID badge by the end of orientation. If you want to get more familiar with the school it might be nice to go on campus a few days early and walk around to get familiar with the buildings. Most of your classes will be in Ocotillo or Cactus Wren. For all lectures you will be with your 100 classmates, sometimes they will be broken down into smaller groups for discussions and cases. Anatomy lab will also be 100 students at once but you are in groups of 5 and one of the 5 members rotates every week to be on a horse cadaver, so it will only be four people to a canine cadaver every week. Not sure if that answered your questions? Let me know if there is anything else I can answer :)

Thanks a lot! This is useful info and always appreciate the details. :pompous:

Paid my deposit today :) officially going to MWU!

Reactions: 5 users
Just ask at the front gate to the parking lot, they will direct you. It's super easy to find.

How long did it take after the interview to hear back?

I think they said it can take up to four weeks to announce results from each batch of applicants. They are supposed to meet every few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have not, I keep checking though religiously. You?
Nothin! I thought they said in about two weeks we would hear; I guess we are most likely to hear next week though since we haven't heard yet.

Has anyone heard anything recently and if so when did you interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am afraid I will be waiting for a long time my interview was the 9th

I am going crazy!!!!!!!! I interviewed on Feb. 17th and they said it would take 2 weeks but I still haven't heard anything.

If it helps, I called a couple of days ago to check the status of my application. They told me they haven't made a decision yet. So there's still hope!

Hopefully. Soon.

I just feel bad for the people who interview March 30th they will have to wait for their interview then for the decision right on the April 15th deadline

All of my Feb. 17th interviewers, I emailed them today and they stated the committee hasn't met, but we should have a decision by next week.

Has anyone heard anything housing-wise?

I just declined my acceptance at Midwestern. I hope it goes to someone here on SDN. Good luck everyone! :biglove:

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything housing-wise?

I put in my housing request a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I'm assuming they will give them at the end of March since they haven't already.

I put in my housing request a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything. I'm assuming they will give them at the end of March since they haven't already.

Hopefully. Right now the website is being funky and not showing me the housing, so I can only hope they're updating. I just worry they'll be out since I put mine in this week ):

Has anyone heard when the admissions committee is meeting? I'm starting to get anxious

Has anyone heard when the admissions committee is meeting? I'm starting to get anxious

I have not and I just checked my portal. I'm definitely getting impatient, because I need to tell another school what I'm going to be doing with my seat!

Have you guys tried calling and asking when they'll be meeting/sending out acceptances?

Have you guys tried calling and asking when they'll be meeting/sending out acceptances?
I haven't called, but did email last thurs, I believe, and they told me they should be meeting this week and to check my portal.

Just checked my portal.........GOT ACCEPTED!!

Reactions: 11 users