Midwestern Class of 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For current students, were you able to get any scholarships/grants for your first semester at MWU?

For current students, were you able to get any scholarships/grants for your first semester at MWU?
No, I was not able to find any scholarships for students entering their first year. Midwestern University offers scholarships in the spring (opens in March closes April 1st) and you can apply in your first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you guys apply for financial aid? There is no link in my portal. I filled out FAFSA already

Can any current students shed light on why they chose MWU over other schools? Right now I'm torn, because I absolutely loved the school, but (fortunately) I have also been accepted in my IS. I want to make a decision within the next week so any insight would be helpful. Also, I know they covered it in the presentation, but its been some time now, but the accreditation factor is worrying me a bit as well. What would happen if MWU was not to be accredited in 2018?

Can any current students shed light on why they chose MWU over other schools? Right now I'm torn, because I absolutely loved the school, but (fortunately) I have also been accepted in my IS. I want to make a decision within the next week so any insight would be helpful. Also, I know they covered it in the presentation, but its been some time now, but the accreditation factor is worrying me a bit as well. What would happen if MWU was not to be accredited in 2018?
I don't think there is any IS school that costs more than MWU, so that should be a HUGE factor for you.

Right now MWU is provisionally accredited I believe (I can't remember if the term is provisional or something else, everything else I'm saying I know for sure to be true). So anyone who is accepted and graduates under this type of accreditation, will have the same degree as anyone graduating from a fully accredited school, even if MWU never becomes fully accredited. There is no need to worry at all about accreditation. Cost on the other hand is something you should strongly consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Also, when do we have to have vaccinations done by? Specifically the rabies vaccine, since I know this isn't a cheap vaccine. Does the school provide discounts for this at all?

Has anyone from the March 9th group heard anything from admissions?

Do NOT worry about accreditation! This school will be accredited! An incredible facility. Eliminate this worry, when making your decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey if you interviewed March 9th check your portal and call if you don't see anything. I am on the wait list.

Can any current students give an idea on why they chose Midwestern over other schools? I am currently torn about which school to choose, making a decision between Midwestern and Ross. I would like to make a decision soon, so any information could help!

Can any current students give an idea on why they chose Midwestern over other schools? I am currently torn about which school to choose, making a decision between Midwestern and Ross. I would like to make a decision soon, so any information could help!

Perhaps other students can give you a better idea because I could only apply to Midwestern for family reasons, but I am so thrilled about this school.

They are really focused on making students day one ready to practice. So the faculty have implemented training and classes in areas they wish they had been taught/better prepared.

We will have hands on learning with live animals the first quarter and that continues obviously throughout the for years. We also begin client communication and mock interactions first year and continue through fourth year. We begin surgeries second year while most schools do that third year. We will have way more surgeries under our belt by the time we graduate than most other vet students.

Everything is new and state of the art. That's just a perk of going to a new school. Another perk of a new school is getting to start your own clubs and events and essentially getting more input and say.

I live in Arizona and can tell you Glendale is amazing. It's the big city feel with lots of stuff to do, but also plenty of non city things to do close by. Lots of hiking destinations and lakes. California is close and makes for easy beach/Disney trips. Snow is just 2-3 hours north in the winter, but you don't have to live in it.

I think we interviewed the same day at Midwestern! How are you doing with making your decision between schools?!
I was hoping there were more Feb 17th interviewers out here! Remind me, were we talking a lot that day!? But my decision is going, I'm still stuck but need to make one soon. I just loved MWU so much!

Hey guys! I have responded to similar questions on this thread so this might sound familiar if you’ve gone through the entire thread, so I’m sorry if you’ve seen me comment before! But if not here you go!

Why I chose MWU: When I interviewed there were no student ambassadors to talk to, it was just faculty. I felt like everyone I met was passionate and had a vision for Midwestern. They were already treating me like a future student and talked to me like a colleague. I felt like they cared about me and I wasn’t even accepted yet!

There were no facilities or buildings to tour but I knew they were going to be amazing based on the rest of the campus (we toured the human cadaver lab- super gross!).

The curriculum. I like the idea of being lectured to but I also want hands on activities and labs- Midwestern promised to give me just that combination!

Being apart of a new program! I consider myself a leader and I was excited to be part of something new and be able to pave the way for future classes. I wanted to start a club and be able to make my experience at Midwestern how I wanted to be.

Also don’t worry about the accreditation. It has zero impact on the students.

Those are the reasons I chose Midwestern.

Midwestern was not my “dream school” going into my interview. In fact I didn’t even know too much about the school. But when I left the day of my interview I actually cried because I wanted to go to Midwestern that bad!

Why I am happy I chose Midwestern: The faculty that cared about me and treated me like a colleague on the day of my interview, they haven’t changed. Every professor knows every single students name. I can currently go up to any professor, ask them to write me a letter of recommendation and they would feel comfortable and excited to write one for me.

The facilities! Yes that isn’t the most important thing, but it is very nice. My favorite part is having a student surgery suite with 25 surgery tables and a panoramic view of our equine unit!

The curriculum. I love it. It’s a perfect mix of lectures with case studies and hands on labs. I also love the SIMS (we currently do the most out of any other vet school).

Being a new program I was able to help start a club! It feels pretty cool to think about the school in 50 years and think about the things I helped start and that students will be benefiting from it later in the future.

I want to also add that the faculty really do care about us and want to make Midwestern great. There are mid quarter and quarterly reviews of all classes. They listen to our feedback and make changes!

Those are just a few things I can think of and I hope it was helpful. Ultimately the things that made me want to go to Midwestern might not excite you like they excite me. Remember wherever you decide to go, if you work hard you will be a DVM at the end of it. I personally wanted to be at a place where I knew I would be happy everyday, and I am!

Reactions: 2 users
I was hoping there were more Feb 17th interviewers out here! Remind me, were we talking a lot that day!? But my decision is going, I'm still stuck but need to make one soon. I just loved MWU so much!

Yes! We talked a lot that day. We were in different interview groups, but my mom and I both talked to you in the morning when we first got there and then later in the day, after and during the interviews!

Yes! We talked a lot that day. We were in different interview groups, but my mom and I both talked to you in the morning when we first got there and then later in the day, after and during the interviews!
Ah I remember!! Have you made any decision yet?

Ah I remember!! Have you made any decision yet?

Yes! I just made a decision today and I chose Midwestern! I just couldn't pass up the opportunities the school provides and how interested the school and faculty are in advancing education.

What Penelope didn't mention was that as a second year, she is already performing spay and neuter surgeries! I'm a first year, and I've gotten to shadow them, and I can tell you, it is amazing to see. The students run their own surgeries in teams. Of course faculty is there to help, but for the most part, these guys are running the show. They come in before classes to check on patients, and stay late after classes to check on patients.

As first years, we were given the opportunity to volunteer with the mobile clinic as well for spay and neuters. Most of us were even allowed to do a supervised neuter during our service, which is unheard of!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

What Penelope didn't mention was that as a second year, she is already performing spay and neuter surgeries! I'm a first year, and I've gotten to shadow them, and I can tell you, it is amazing to see. The students run their own surgeries in teams. Of course faculty is there to help, but for the most part, these guys are running the show. They come in before classes to check on patients, and stay late after classes to check on patients.

As first years, we were given the opportunity to volunteer with the mobile clinic as well for spay and neuters. Most of us were even allowed to do a supervised neuter during our service, which is unheard of!
Lots of schools offer early spay/neuter oppurtunities for those who seek it out. As a first year at penn I've done a few neuters and I don't have nearly as much time/flexibility as my classmates. Some of my classmates are already neuter certified and can teach neuters to others.

Lots of schools offer early spay/neuter oppurtunities for those who seek it out. As a first year at penn I've done a few neuters and I don't have nearly as much time/flexibility as my classmates. Some of my classmates are already neuter certified and can teach neuters to others.

Most schools now are offering early opportunities for students to do their surgery, true. I more so was referring to Ross, since my best friend's brother goes there, but certainly almost every school I've been to has offered the chance to those at some point earlier than third year!

Hey guys! I have responded to similar questions on this thread so this might sound familiar if you’ve gone through the entire thread, so I’m sorry if you’ve seen me comment before! But if not here you go!

Why I chose MWU: When I interviewed there were no student ambassadors to talk to, it was just faculty. I felt like everyone I met was passionate and had a vision for Midwestern. They were already treating me like a future student and talked to me like a colleague. I felt like they cared about me and I wasn’t even accepted yet!

There were no facilities or buildings to tour but I knew they were going to be amazing based on the rest of the campus (we toured the human cadaver lab- super gross!).

The curriculum. I like the idea of being lectured to but I also want hands on activities and labs- Midwestern promised to give me just that combination!

Being apart of a new program! I consider myself a leader and I was excited to be part of something new and be able to pave the way for future classes. I wanted to start a club and be able to make my experience at Midwestern how I wanted to be.

Also don’t worry about the accreditation. It has zero impact on the students.

Those are the reasons I chose Midwestern.

Midwestern was not my “dream school” going into my interview. In fact I didn’t even know too much about the school. But when I left the day of my interview I actually cried because I wanted to go to Midwestern that bad!

Why I am happy I chose Midwestern: The faculty that cared about me and treated me like a colleague on the day of my interview, they haven’t changed. Every professor knows every single students name. I can currently go up to any professor, ask them to write me a letter of recommendation and they would feel comfortable and excited to write one for me.

The facilities! Yes that isn’t the most important thing, but it is very nice. My favorite part is having a student surgery suite with 25 surgery tables and a panoramic view of our equine unit!

The curriculum. I love it. It’s a perfect mix of lectures with case studies and hands on labs. I also love the SIMS (we currently do the most out of any other vet school).

Being a new program I was able to help start a club! It feels pretty cool to think about the school in 50 years and think about the things I helped start and that students will be benefiting from it later in the future.

I want to also add that the faculty really do care about us and want to make Midwestern great. There are mid quarter and quarterly reviews of all classes. They listen to our feedback and make changes!

Those are just a few things I can think of and I hope it was helpful. Ultimately the things that made me want to go to Midwestern might not excite you like they excite me. Remember wherever you decide to go, if you work hard you will be a DVM at the end of it. I personally wanted to be at a place where I knew I would be happy everyday, and I am!

Okay I can think of ONE downside: sometimes it is hard to study when the weather is beautiful! Many poolside study groups happening here!

I have decided to go to my in-state, purely because of cost. I have no doubt in my mind that Midwestern is and will continue to be great! I'll be in Arizona eventually though ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone know about the dress code for class and what color scrubs the vet schools students are suppose to wear? I remember during the tour being told about a dress code and that each college within Midwestern wore scrubs pertaining to the college they are in.

Does anyone know about the dress code for class and what color scrubs the vet schools students are suppose to wear? I remember during the tour being told about a dress code and that each college within Midwestern wore scrubs pertaining to the college they are in.

A lot of the other colleges have a more casual dress code. Vet Med wears business casual. The only time we wear scrubs is in anatomy lab, because one of the faculty members is deathly allergic to the formalin. I don't know if they are changing scrub colors, but anatomy lab is navy and in spring quarter when you begin anesthesia, you will need hunter green (which doesn't look hunter green at all, but every scrub company has the same name for it haha).

One fun thing is that during finals, they have been letting us wear casual clothing, which we all appreciate!

A lot of the other colleges have a more casual dress code. Vet Med wears business casual. The only time we wear scrubs is in anatomy lab, because one of the faculty members is deathly allergic to the formalin. I don't know if they are changing scrub colors, but anatomy lab is navy and in spring quarter when you begin anesthesia, you will need hunter green (which doesn't look hunter green at all, but every scrub company has the same name for it haha).

One fun thing is that during finals, they have been letting us wear casual clothing, which we all appreciate!

For business casual are they allowing kaki pants or do you need suit type pants? Polos or collared shirts?

What about shoes? Especially for women?

What about shoes? Especially for women?
I personally wear flats everyday and I would say majority of the girls in my class wear flats as well. In the warmer months some of my classmates wear nice dressy sandals (not flip flops) and in the winter people tend to wear boots. Hope that helps.

Hi y'all. I just gave up my seat for this fall. I hope one of you guys on the wait-list gets it.
Best of luck to everyone! Midwestern is an awesome school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I personally wear flats everyday and I would say majority of the girls in my class wear flats as well. In the warmer months some of my classmates wear nice dressy sandals (not flip flops) and in the winter people tend to wear boots. Hope that helps.

Thanks! Ballet flats won't stay on my foot for love nor money so I'll keep an eye out for some mary janes or something.

Hi y'all. I just gave up my seat for this fall. I hope one of you guys on the wait-list gets it.
Best of luck to everyone! Midwestern is an awesome school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Where did you decide to go to vet school? I'm an alternate for Midwestern. I REALLY hope I get in!!!! Waiting all this time for a decision from Midwestern after the April 15th deadline has been brutal.

Anyone from the alternate list for called off yet? Anxiously waiting for a call!

Anyone from the alternate list for called off yet? Anxiously waiting for a call!
We shouldn't hear from Midwestern until after April 15th since everyone has until that day to put their deposit down. The sucky thing is that usually alternates are accepted on the 16th but that's a Saturday so we'll have to wait until the 18th :/

When I interviewed on March 9th the said they had about 30 deposits paid

I called Thursday. 71 people have made deposits. 111 acceptance letters and 60 alternates I just hope the odds are in our favors!!

Deadlines are getting closer and I'm gettting more nervous :(

Curious which schools people are deciding between? Anyone struggling to choose between MWU and another school?

Sadly I just declined my seat at MWU. It was my first interview back in August and I LOVED the school so much. Im so sad right now that I won't be attending :( My choice was based on the fact that AZ is really far from home!
Best of luck to the class of 2020! :cat: