Midwestern, Glendale 2012 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I subscribed to the thread, so I read what you put before you edited. It sounds like you're a fantastic candidate. I hope a) you edited the post because you got accepted :D, b) you applied elsewhere and get snatched up for their PharmD programs, or, if you have to, c) you apply next year early and are a shoo-in. Sorry to hear about the bad news. :(

I know that the pharmacy program will be interviewing through March, but does anyone know if the AdCom is still sending out interview invitations? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that the pharmacy program will be interviewing through March, but does anyone know if the AdCom is still sending out interview invitations? Thanks!

You can try to call them. They were pretty nice when I gave them a call.

Anyway... *sigh* I just turned down their offer. The three-year program was so enticing that I worry I'll regret this for a long time... :(

You can try to call them. They were pretty nice when I gave them a call.

Anyway... *sigh* I just turned down their offer. The three-year program was so enticing that I worry I'll regret this for a long time... :(

Where did you choose?

I have just been accepted to a school closer to home and withdrew my application and acceptance to Midwestern. Hopefully that will open up another spot for those of you still waiting to hear back from them. It would have been a lot of fun joining you all this summer at Midwestern. I wish you all good luck with your schooling and your careers!

Did anyone interview on February 16? When do we find out? I though maybe this week, has anyone found out yet??
I have been accepted to two schools so far, but MWU is the only 3 year school I interviewed for.

Where did you choose?

I'm still waiting for other schools but I did pay a deposit to Univ of Illinois in Chicago. Hopefully, I get in to the other schools I'm waiting for...

Have any of the accepted people received a "Conditional Acceptance Background Check Consent Request" email? I was accepted back in October, but I just received this email yesterday.

Have any of the accepted people received a "Conditional Acceptance Background Check Consent Request" email? I was accepted back in October, but I just received this email yesterday.

It's just a background check you have to go through with Certiphi I'm assuming. The class of 2015 are all talking about it in the facebook group. It's a standard background check from what I'm aware of.

Yes, someone just posted about it this afternoon on FB. Thanks.

I received an email stating that I was on hold yesterday. I am still relatively pleased but I am a bit confused on the subtleties, is there a difference between being on hold and being an alternate?
According to this email I am on hold and "at the top of our list for the first open seat!" Now I know that they do not mean to say if one more single person drops their seat I am in but does it mean I have a better chance than someone, say, on the alternate list? The email goes on to state that they do not give out rankings for both the hold list and the alternate list.
I guess I am just asking how my chances look for a seat at this point :confused:
Still I am very pleased with getting this far and am looking forward to hopefully getting a spot at MWU CPG :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email stating that I was on hold yesterday. I am still relatively pleased but I am a bit confused on the subtleties, is there a difference between being on hold and being an alternate?
According to this email I am on hold and "at the top of our list for the first open seat!" Now I know that they do not mean to say if one more single person drops their seat I am in but does it mean I have a better chance than someone, say, on the alternate list? The email goes on to state that they do not give out rankings for both the hold list and the alternate list.
I guess I am just asking how my chances look for a seat at this point :confused:
Still I am very pleased with getting this far and am looking forward to hopefully getting a spot at MWU CPG :)

To be honest I'm not actually quite sure what that means...I'd assume that they are at capacity and to my understanding you would be next on the list?? but I actually am not sure, so I'd contact the school to find out what they mean by that...I never knew there was a "hold" group. Maybe they chose to accept you but realized they were full? (who knows!)...contact them, they're very good at keeping you well informed!

I received an e-mail stating that I have been placed on the alternate list. Has anyone been accepted off the alternate list yet this year? or does anyone know of someone accepted off the alternate in the past years? Just trying to see how much hope I should really have.

I just got an email today saying that the class has been filled. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless somebody drops, looks like we have our class for MWU 2015.

To those who did not get into a pharmacy program this year: dont be discouraged! Beef up your application this year and reapply for next year. All is not lost. Good luck for next year!

I just got an email today saying that the class has been filled. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless somebody drops, looks like we have our class for MWU 2015.

To those who did not get into a pharmacy program this year: dont be discouraged! Beef up your application this year and reapply for next year. All is not lost. Good luck for next year!

I got this email too.

In other words everyone's paid their deposits or just been accepted? I was under the impression that being on MWU's alternate list gave a decent chance, just wondering :)

Congrats everyone for getting in.

Let me know if you guys need anything.

Good luck!

I'm flying out to Phoenix in a week to look for a place to live. Any suggestions for apartments? I would prefer somewhere that's very quiet if possible. How bad is the traffic if I don't live extremely close to campus? My wife has a small dog so I know we'll need a place that's pet friendly. Thanks in advance.

I'm flying out to Phoenix in a week to look for a place to live. Any suggestions for apartments? I would prefer somewhere that's very quiet if possible. How bad is the traffic if I don't live extremely close to campus? My wife has a small dog so I know we'll need a place that's pet friendly. Thanks in advance.

The traffic sucks really bad. I suggest looking in the Arrowhead area. Peoria, Surprise are ok. Glendale is ghetto in many parts. Downtown Glendale area is ok, though. Just don't go much father past that. Anything in the avenues south of bethany is not the best.

Buy a club or alarm system for your car, too...especially if it's a honda, nissan, or toyota and even moreso if it's a truck. Just sayin' :)

Don't bother with south phoenix or the westside.

In fact, you might want to stay pretty close to campus.

The traffic sucks really bad. I suggest looking in the Arrowhead area. Peoria, Surprise are ok. Glendale is ghetto in many parts. Downtown Glendale area is ok, though. Just don't go much father past that. Anything in the avenues south of bethany is not the best.

Buy a club or alarm system for your car, too...especially if it's a honda, nissan, or toyota and even moreso if it's a truck. Just sayin' :)

Why doesnt anybody live in the Promised Land of Mirage? Crime seems to be low (according to trulia crime maps) and the places seem to be nice.

Also, why is everybdy resigning themselves to an apartment? There are many houses out there for a comparable rental price.

I just turned down my seat for MWU. It was a difficult decision to make but I tried making it as early as I could so that someone else might get some good news.

I hope someone gets off the waiting list soon!

We have been looking around the Arrowhead area but it's just hard to tell how things really are just from seeing pics online. I prefer to stay within about 5 miles of campus if possible. She is transferring with work to a store near Arrowhead so she wants to be close to work.

I sure hope our cars don't get stolen since we have a Maxima, Camry and a truck! :mad:

I actually prefer a house to an apartment but my wife's must haves are a pool and workout facility. I just hope we can find a place in the 2 days we're there.

Thanks for info.

We have been looking around the Arrowhead area but it's just hard to tell how things really are just from seeing pics online. I prefer to stay within about 5 miles of campus if possible. She is transferring with work to a store near Arrowhead so she wants to be close to work.

I sure hope our cars don't get stolen since we have a Maxima, Camry and a truck! :mad:

I actually prefer a house to an apartment but my wife's must haves are a pool and workout facility. I just hope we can find a place in the 2 days we're there.

Thanks for info.

There are a number if gated communities up that way...it's a good deterrent. Arrowhead is probably your best shot and it's close to a bunch of stores, restaurants, bars, etc. remember to ask about utilities (paid/not paid) and what the average bills are over the summer. You'll be running the AC all the time over summer. Pick an apartment with a north/south exposure or between other apartments. Get one with covered parking. If your cars don't have tinted windows, get them tinted. Ask if the apartment is qwest or cox cable ready (cox is cable, qwest offers only DSL). The more tile, the better (stays cooler). Hmmm what else...make sure you get your car AC and radiator checked out before summer. It's going to be hot in June when you start. The faster you can move, the earlier because moving in summer sucks really bad.

Thanks for info.

So over the two years I lived at San Prado which is literally right across from the school. Iffy you want peace and quiet then that is definitely the place to be. Yes it is a lil bit pricey cause it's near school and all but I have had no problems at all with burglary or theft. That complex is fairly secure with a private guard that patrols it at night. Also the car port is awesome it's like basically a open garage that covers your entire car unlike those makeshift metal ones. Great pool and great work out facility as well.

If you want affordable then my friends live 10 mins away one place is called Archstone and the other is arrowhead summit. Those places are again a bit further but closer to all the food and bars.

I definitely recommend you heading out there to take a look at the place now before the rush of new students. Prices tend to jack up once you get closer to the starting date and also check for leasing specials at these places. Hope this helps.

Thanks for info.
I wouldnt worry too much. I can't remember the last time I heard of someones car getting stolen. Use common sense precautions, try to avoid dicey areas (the arrowhead area is fine) .most of my family and a number of coworkers live in that area. Again, don't worry too much about that. You've got school to worry about instead. :)

I just turned down my seat for MWU. It was a difficult decision to make but I tried making it as early as I could so that someone else might get some good news.

I hope someone gets off the waiting list soon!
Sorry to hear this Panda, I was looking forward to meeting you. Good luck at your Pschool!

Why doesnt anybody live in the Promised Land of Mirage? Crime seems to be low (according to trulia crime maps) and the places seem to be nice.

Also, why is everybdy resigning themselves to an apartment? There are many houses out there for a comparable rental price.

I wrote you out a long reply to this but my nook ate it, and typing on this is too frustrating to redo. Tl/Dw; make sure you trial your drive to school at 8am and home at 5pm. It will take longer than you may expect. Christmas time and spring training season will be worse.
happy house hunting!

Every other house is empty. The ones that aren't, half of those have inconsiderate renters. This is what I hear, anyway.

Here's a serious answer to your question. The best reason I can think of is that the utilities are usually more. Also, most landlords renting houses are private parties of undetermined responsiveness, whereas most landlords renting apartments are companies with folks available 8-5 M-F & 8-12 on the weekends. The biggest reason is probably that it's just easier to rent an apartment, especially for out-of-towners who don't have a lot of time to schedule an appointment & drive around looking for properties.

Hi, everyone! I'm going to Glendale on Saturday (from CA) to check out some houses in the area (I have two dogs and a husband). I have a few lined up and wanted to get your input regarding the areas/neighborhoods within a 5 mile radius from school north, south, east, and west. Any input is appreciated! Thanks and look forward to meeting everyone in a couple of months!

Hi, everyone! I'm going to Glendale on Saturday (from CA) to check out some houses in the area (I have two dogs and a husband). I have a few lined up and wanted to get your input regarding the areas/neighborhoods within a 5 mile radius from school north, south, east, and west. Any input is appreciated! Thanks and look forward to meeting everyone in a couple of months!

I need major cross streets and I'll tell you. I don't even know the cross streets of the school. Never been there.

And yeah, for you out of staters, utilities cost should be high on the priority list. Believe me ... Your electric bill in the summer will be very, very high. The power companies increase rates and cooling a large home will most likely require running the AC around the clock in the summer, especially if you have to keep it super cold in the house because you're not used to being warmer. Put it this way... When I lived in phoenix in a house, my winter electric was 60 bucks. In July, it was almost 300 dollars.

51st ave & loop 101
49th ave & Wahalla (near Beardsley)
57th between Happy Valley and Dear Valley (Pinnacle Hill/Thunderbird Conservation Area)
Arrowhead Lakes Community/57th & 101
49th between Beardsley & Union Hills (closer to Union Hills) <--this is the one we're most interested in

I hope these descriptions were good enough. :) And my goodness...$300??? WOW.

Thanks so much for your help!

51st ave & loop 101
57th between Happy Valley and Dear Valley (Pinnacle Hill/Thunderbird Conservation Area)
49th between Beardsley & Union Hills (closer to Union Hills) <--this is the one we're most interested in

Those are all far north and newer communities. Happy Valley is hella far, though. I don't even know if they have a lot of amenities out that way and if you have to drive out from a community that's far from the freeway, you'll add a lot of time to your commute.

Honestly, I would with your top choice near Union Hills. It's close access to the freeway and there are a lot of restaurants and stuff. Same with Arrowhead Lakes. Believe me, the less driving/fastest commute the better.

Yep, 300 bucks. That should be one of your questions to the landlord.. "What's the average electric bill like in the summer?"

My bills have been the same as RxLea. The northern areas are beautiful as far as scenery is concerned, but it will be a bit of a drive. Traffic shouldn't be that bad back and forth though. I was going to buy/rent up there, but instead I decided to live near the school since I'm a horrible driver. I figure I'd be doing a favor to society by staying off the road :laugh:

Lol, my plan is to get blackout curtains and keep it dark all day in my apartment, so that running the ac can be kept to a minimum.... :/ that, and use no heat in the winter so it will hopefully even out, hahahahaaaa.....

I don't use heat in the winter. I have a wood burning fireplace and a small space heater if I need it. but yeah, keeping it dark is a good strategy.

51st ave & loop 101

Hi Amg Cyn , Most those areas are fine. Do be aware that houses are going FAST here in Phoenix. Be prepared to make an immediate offer if you find a house that makes a good fit for you.
One of our other future classmates has been hunting for a house and has had a very frustrating time. Just be ready to pull the trigger if you find the house you want.
And yeah, RxLea is right about the summer utility bills, they are really high.
Glad to hear from you again, we interviewed together.

Those are all far north and newer communities. Happy Valley is hella far, though. I don't even know if they have a lot of amenities out that way and if you have to drive out from a community that's far from the freeway, you'll add a lot of time to your commute.

Honestly, I would with your top choice near Union Hills. It's close access to the freeway and there are a lot of restaurants and stuff. Same with Arrowhead Lakes. Believe me, the less driving/fastest commute the better.

Yep, 300 bucks. That should be one of your questions to the landlord.. "What's the average electric bill like in the summer?"

Unfortunately, the one we were interested in was rented out already! It's so hard trying to do this as an OOSer. Hopefully something will happen this weekend. Thanks for the info! One thing, do you think having tiles (no carpet) makes a big difference? Will it keep the house significantly cooler?

My bills have been the same as RxLea. The northern areas are beautiful as far as scenery is concerned, but it will be a bit of a drive. Traffic shouldn't be that bad back and forth though. I was going to buy/rent up there, but instead I decided to live near the school since I'm a horrible driver. I figure I'd be doing a favor to society by staying off the road :laugh:

Are you referring to the place near Happy Valley? I'm ruling out all those that are too north now. :) Where have you decided to live? And is it a house or an apt?

Hi Amg Cyn , Most those areas are fine. Do be aware that houses are going FAST here in Phoenix. Be prepared to make an immediate offer if you find a house that makes a good fit for you.
One of our other future classmates has been hunting for a house and has had a very frustrating time. Just be ready to pull the trigger if you find the house you want.
And yeah, RxLea is right about the summer utility bills, they are really high.
Glad to hear from you again, we interviewed together.

Hi!! I know we did! :) Can you believe it's been about 5 months already?? I wonder where our fellow interviewee (Mike?) is going. I am totally taking your advice after someone else leased out a place that we were going to visit this weekend! So sad. Can't wait to see you again. :)

Unfortunately, the one we were interested in was rented out already! It's so hard trying to do this as an OOSer. Hopefully something will happen this weekend. Thanks for the info! One thing, do you think having tiles (no carpet) makes a big difference? Will it keep the house significantly cooler?

Yes. Tile is much better!!!!

Yes. Tile is much better!!!!

Great! Another thing to add on to my list. :oops:

Knowing what area I'm looking at (around Arrowhead), what do you guys think is a reasonable amount to spend on rent for a 3+ bedroom with all the things that I am looking for?

tile flooring
grassy backyard
allows dogs
close to MWU
safe neighborhood
all appliances included
walk-in closet
bigger kitchen
master bath dual sinks
newer house w/ green features

The last half of the list is more like my "wish" list as opposed to "must." We're getting close to $1400 for the places we're looking at, but I really was hoping it would be a lot less. Coming from CA, it's a huge break but I was hoping it would be ridiculously cheaper. :( Or do you think that's a reasonable rate?

Great! Another thing to add on to my list. :oops:

Knowing what area I'm looking at (around Arrowhead), what do you guys think is a reasonable amount to spend on rent for a 3+ bedroom with all the things that I am looking for?

tile flooring
grassy backyard
allows dogs
close to MWU
safe neighborhood
all appliances included
walk-in closet
bigger kitchen
master bath dual sinks
newer house w/ green features

The last half of the list is more like my "wish" list as opposed to "must." We're getting close to $1400 for the places we're looking at, but I really was hoping it would be a lot less. Coming from CA, it's a huge break but I was hoping it would be ridiculously cheaper. :( Or do you think that's a reasonable rate?

Three bedroom, tile, plus the pet, in that area, 1400 is reasonable. You'll be close to everything in arrowhead (mall, restaurants, theatre, etc.)too.

Three bedroom, tile, plus the pet, in that area, 1400 is reasonable. You'll be close to everything in arrowhead (mall, restaurants, theatre, etc.)too.

Thanks for the feedback!! Hope we find something tomorrow! :luck:

Are you referring to the place near Happy Valley? I'm ruling out all those that are too north now. :) Where have you decided to live? And is it a house or an apt?

Yeah, we were looking to buy a house around happy valley and 67th ave. The area around the mountains up there are really nice, and for me it would have been worth the commute. But right now, after 5 months of trying to buy a house, we've decided to wait until the housing market aligns itself. Investors and other buyers are bidding so far above what houses are worth that I felt it wouldn't be a good decision to buy right now. Therefore, I'll be living in an apartment :)