Midwestern, Glendale 2012 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just withdrew my acceptance to Midwestern...so there should be another spot for someone on the alternate list! Best of luck to those of you still waiting to hear back :)

Members don't see this ad.

Great! Another thing to add on to my list. :oops:

Knowing what area I'm looking at (around Arrowhead), what do you guys think is a reasonable amount to spend on rent for a 3+ bedroom with all the things that I am looking for?

tile flooring
grassy backyard
allows dogs
close to MWU
safe neighborhood
all appliances included
walk-in closet
bigger kitchen
master bath dual sinks
newer house w/ green features

The last half of the list is more like my "wish" list as opposed to "must." We're getting close to $1400 for the places we're looking at, but I really was hoping it would be a lot less. Coming from CA, it's a huge break but I was hoping it would be ridiculously cheaper. :( Or do you think that's a reasonable rate?

This sounds like my house. plus..... 1/2 acre yard, 2800 sqft. 10ft celings, 3 car gargage, heated pool/jacuzzi, misters, large patio w/remote control shades, full size pool table, tanning bed, built-in desk/den, entertainment center w/built in 65" TV. I thought about renting my house out for $1800 - $2200. I drive through those mountains Dr. Experimento talked about on the way to and from MWU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tanning bed? LOL, can I use it when I move there? I'll probably need to be tan to fit in with you AZ people. :D

Might as well. The only time it gets used is when my cat feels the need to nap in it.

I avoid the blazing sun so I'm the one that looks like Casper.

BTW ..... I finished my physical, TB steps 1 and 2, titers, and 1 round of HepB. I got my finaid award also. I think the only thing I need to do is drug screen.

So is the general consensus El Mirage is too far from campus?

It about 20-25 minutes from campus. I'm not sure what the traffic is like during the morning commute. Unless you are getting a smoking deal in El Mirage, I think you should come a little closer.

Whew! My husband and I made a one day trip out there yesterday, and we found a nice place for a great deal that had everything on my list (minus all appliances which seems to be common for rental homes here). The major cross streets are 75th and 101. Everyone agree that it's a good area? We're moving 4/25 from San Diego.

I thought no appliances was weird and a deal breaker to me too. But after a week of searching and going to see several rentals, I saw that it was too common to rule out. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Whew! My husband and I made a one day trip out there yesterday, and we found a nice place for a great deal that had everything on my list (minus all appliances which seems to be common for rental homes here). The major cross streets are 75th and 101. Everyone agree that it's a good area? We're moving 4/25 from San Diego.

You picked a good area Cynthia. I agree that no appliances in odd. Must be todays market.

You picked a good area Cynthia. I agree that no appliances in odd. Must be todays market.

Glad to hear! That's one of the most important things for me. I have to get a fridge and W/D, but I still feel really good about everything overall. Just sad to be leaving my place in beautiful SD one mile away from the beach. :(

Last edited:
Glad to hear! That's one of the most important things for me. I have to get a fridge and W/D, but I still feel really good about the everything overall. Just sad to be leaving my place in beautiful SD one mile away from the beach. :(

No fridge and W/D isn't too bad. For some reason I thought it was missing the oven/stove too. No beach here for miles. lol

Just a little hope for all still on the alternate list (like me). Just got off the phone to check status on my application and they said they are going to begin to utilize the alternate list in the next coming weeks. Good Luck all! :thumbup:

Hello I interviewed at Miswestern on 2/2 and was waitlisted. I was wondering how many people were on the wait list and if anyone actually gets rejected or it they automatically just get put on the waitlist. Any ideas/advice would help so much! Really hoping to get in MU this year!

Regis University Interview 3/14--Accepted

Does anyone have any input on either Northern Greens or Stillwater Apartments??

I know of 2 who were flat out rejected.

Hello I interviewed at Miswestern on 2/2 and was waitlisted. I was wondering how many people were on the wait list and if anyone actually gets rejected or it they automatically just get put on the waitlist. Any ideas/advice would help so much! Really hoping to get in MU this year!

generally speaking, everyone will be waitlisted unless they really find that you are not at all what they are looking for. Nonetheless if you dont make it in the first time, your second time application will exponentially increase the chances of you getting in (especially if you waitlisted).....at least from what i've heard.

-P1

I think here on SDN there were one or two who were declined. They may have been the same folks Nevcovp mentioned.

I didn't receive an interview, but I also wasn't declined. Was basically told to wait it out until they considered me, this was about 2 months ago. Lost cause?

I avoid the blazing sun so I'm the one that looks like Casper.

+1 :thumbup:

BTW ..... I finished my physical, TB steps 1 and 2, titers, and 1 round of HepB. I got my finaid award also. I think the only thing I need to do is drug screen.

Uh, I missed this?? Is this something to be done before school?

I didn't receive an interview, but I also wasn't declined. Was basically told to wait it out until they considered me, this was about 2 months ago. Lost cause?

Don't lose hope. The admissions commitee is always reviewing applicants. If they didn't deny you , then it isn't over. I hope you get an interview. Everyone deserves to prove themselves. What's written on paper can only say so much.:xf:

+1 :thumbup:

Uh, I missed this?? Is this something to be done before school?

I called the school about this. They told me that the drug screen is only for rotations and is not required up front for admission.

I called the school about this. They told me that the drug screen is only for rotations and is not required up front for admission.

Thanks for investigating this for us. Aircraftnoise. That makes sense.

I decided to do all the medical stuff before classes start so I don't have to spend any time after doing the running around. My post wasn't meant to freak people out.

I guess I'll just worry about the drug test when we get to rotations. I can't find the form anywhere on MWU Net, and the Student Services department told me I had everything in. :shrug:

Besides, if I took it now, I'd have to explain the (prescribed) opiates I'm on after my surgery...

I guess I'll just worry about the drug test when we get to rotations. I can't find the form anywhere on MWU Net, and the Student Services department told me I had everything in. :shrug:

Besides, if I took it now, I'd have to explain the (prescribed) opiates I'm on after my surgery...

How is recovery going?

Just got the call this morning and I am accepted =] see you all this June!!! Don't lose hope alternates!!!

Just got the call this morning and I am accepted =] see you all this June!!! Don't lose hope alternates!!!

Way to go! Anyone with a Futurama avatar is beyond deserving of acceptance in my book! :)

Oops, it's actually 75th closer to Deer Valley

My aunt lives out that way. Seems like a nice area.

Congrats!!

How is recovery going?

The elbow itself is doing well, but I am still having trouble with my hand. I saw the doctor today, and he wants me to do an EMG. If no signs of early recovery (which he doesn't think there will be), he's suggesting another surgery to repair/free the nerve. :eek: :scared:

The elbow itself is doing well, but I am still having trouble with my hand. I saw the doctor today, and he wants me to do an EMG. If no signs of early recovery (which he doesn't think there will be), he's suggesting another surgery to repair/free the nerve. :eek: :scared:

I might be lugging books after all.

Hi everyone,

I just went to look at several the apartments near campus. I just wonder if anyone in sharing a apartment to cut down the expense. I found a interesting deal for 2 beds/2 baths apartment for $800/month at Sun Creek, which includes the water, wifi and cable TV. It's about 3 miles from MWU. I am an asian male. If anyone interested in. Please let me know.

thanks,

I might be lugging books after all.

I'm considering a rolling cart thingy with a backpack. That way I can just bungee it all together & go. :D Only drawback is that I probably need to be there early so I can get a seat in the front row of them auditorium classes that go straight up with stairs.

Is there a dress code for going to class?

As far as I can tell, just look clean. It's not formal or anything for sure. I know it's in the student manual somewhere, which is available either off the MWU page or under MWU Net > other stuff (like where your ID is) > links... well, somewhere under there anyway.

Is there a dress code for going to class?

No, there is no specific dress code in coming to class unless otherwise specified. There will be days where you will need to be professionally dressed and you will be told when to do so. Otherwise, dress comfortably (but put together).

-P1

I'm considering a rolling cart thingy with a backpack. That way I can just bungee it all together & go. :D Only drawback is that I probably need to be there early so I can get a seat in the front row of them auditorium classes that go straight up with stairs.

I'm pretty sure the entrance to Sahuaro A is in the back of the class and goes down from there.

Hi everyone,

I just went to look at several the apartments near campus. I just wonder if anyone in sharing a apartment to cut down the expense. I found a interesting deal for 2 beds/2 baths apartment for $800/month at Sun Creek, which includes the water, wifi and cable TV. It's about 3 miles from MWU. I am an asian male. If anyone interested in. Please let me know.

thanks,

I don't mean to be negative but I was at that apartment for 1 year and I had a bad experience. They state there's free WiFi. You actually need to buy the router and modem. The apartments are too small. I rent an apt. for $626/month and it's about 1000 square feet. The main thing I didn't like about the apt. is the maintenance of the facility. I had to avoid several feces everyday. If I were you I would look around some more. You can find another apt north of 101 for about the same price.

In regards to my comments above. It also floods badly at the back of the apartment complex.

Any recommendations for internet/cable? I don't know who the providers in the area are. I found CenturyLink but didn't know of any other companies. Thanks in advance for any help.

Any recommendations for internet/cable? I don't know who the providers in the area are. I found CenturyLink but didn't know of any other companies. Thanks in advance for any help.

CenturyLink (previously Qwest) DSL and Cox Cable are the two biggies. I'm not sure I know of any other real choices. If you live in an apartment complex or sometimes out in the newer developments, you will have one choice or the other.

I have had both in this house and experiences with both in other places as well. Neither company has great (or even really "good") customer service, but Cox seems to have better speeds. OTOH, we had much better luck with our DSL modem than our cable modem - have had two duds, but to be fair, neither were purchased from Cox. Your mileage will vary.

My dad had centurylink (rebranded QWEST) for a while. He did not have a good experience. But as mentioned above,you may not have much of a choice

My dad had centurylink (rebranded QWEST) for a while. He did not have a good experience. But as mentioned above,you may not have much of a choice

I've had century link in a few places I've lived in utah. In two of those places it's been pretty good, but in one place their service was in and out. The reliability of their service seems to depend on where you live and how much they have invested in their infrastructure in your area.

I was on the alternative list and got a call yesterday too! I was shocked actually. Unfortunately, I declined the invitation because of some unexpected medical problems and have to have major surgery this summer. The dean of admissions gave me a deferment and I am accepted into the May 2013 start date! So, there is another seat out there for this coming May, but one less for 2013! :D