Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a third-year student and am more than happy to help out with any questions you have regarding AZCOM.

Also, as this thread will likely expand significantly with time, I'll point out that many times the question(s) you want answered have also been asked by previous posters and you can oftentimes find the information you need by using the thread-specific search function which can be found in the toolbar directly beneath the page number listing for this thread.

Don't let the process drive you too insane, at least fake an effort not to ask questions that were literally answered a few posts earlier, and best of luck. :thumbup:

Match Data
2012 Match
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=209544913025182426254.0004b7695df5160cec1ee#bmb=1

Also, I've attached the 2000 - 2011 match data for AZCOM at the very bottom of this post.

MCAT rumors
I trust you're intelligent enough to follow this: in spite of the SDN rumor, if the 2015 class (and most likely the 2016), which was the class applying during the cycle that the rumor references, had an average of 28 (per midwestern.edu) on their MCAT, do you honestly think it's probable that a class of 250 managed not to have any matriculants with an MCAT <27? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Not probable, especially since at least one person in 2015 reportedly had a 24. It's AZCOM, not Harvard.

Secondaries
-Yes, you can more-or-less copy and paste your responses from your CCOM secondary into your AZCOM one (don't worry, the admissions committees aren't the same for the schools).

Interview Invites
-The portal will be your only dependable source of knowing if you're receiving an interview invite. The school's system doesn't dependably send out the invites in a timely manner (or sometimes at all). In recent years, once you're complete and the cycle is in full-swing (think late-August/September), it usually takes a week or two to hear anything. If you don't hear anything within a couple of weeks, IT IS OKAY TO CALL THE SCHOOL AND CHECK ON THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION.
-If you are told that you're "on hold for an interview," it usually means that your GPA and/or MCAT are a bit weak but the school would like to interview you if you give them some updated stats when you can. People DO receive interviews after receiving this status and people DO get accepted after it. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. Some people last year received this status even though they had good stats. We never were able to figure out what was up with that unless there were huge red flags in their apps that they (understandably) never mentioned on SDN...
-YES! You CAN change your interview date from the portal and NO you won't lose your current interview date until you change it.
-If you want an interview date that's nearer but the soonest you saw on the portal was in a few months, check the portal and check it often. As people change their dates or cancel, dates will open back up.

Acceptance
FOR THE LOVE OF MY SANITY, IF YOU NOTICE THAT YOU HAVE AN "ACCEPTED STUDENT CHECKLIST" ON YOUR PORTAL AFTER YOU'VE INTERVIEWED, YOU ARE ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now quit questioning everybody else about whether it's really true or not and you don't need to call Admissions to confirm. Just accept the fact that you got in, and celebrate dang it!
-Never trust the timeline the Admissions staff tells you regarding when decisions will be made. You may find out in two days or you may find out in 2-3 weeks.
-If people who interviewed with you or after you are accepted and you're still in the dark regarding your status, don't fret. Many, many times people are still accepted after people who interviewed with or after them have already been accepted.
-Do not expect to receive a phone call or email congratulating you on your acceptance. The Dean only sporadically calls people to congratulate them (phone calls are in the minority) and there is no acceptance email. Check your portal for the checklist, and when you see it, you're in. Again, the portal is the only dependable source of positive information. You can also wait for the snail mail letter, but we both know you can't wait that long...
-It is okay to call Admissions to check on the status of your app either after the date they tell you you'll know a decision or after a couple of weeks. Whichever you can hold out for the longest.

Rejection
http://www.allaboutlifechallenges.org/dealing-with-rejection-faq.htm
In all seriousness, I personally wish you the best of luck with this cycle and if you find yourself applying again next year, hopefully that will be your year.

Wait-listed
-Not the end of the world, many people are accepted off of the WL. Some of these people are pulled off up to and even during orientation week...
-Keep the school updated with new grades, MCAT scores, ECs, pubs, etc. Feel free to call once in a while to get your name in the right people's ears.

Rotations
-They seem to change up the rotation regions in Arizona every year. Don't expect to get any definitive locations regarding hospitals other than "the greater Phoenix area." There are also the Tucson, LA, Turlock/Modesto (I'm not sure what's going on with this region, as I've heard varying things regarding its status), and Chicago regions. No, I can't provide any clue as to the "quality" of one site vs another. Choose your region based on where you want to live.
-Unless they change things, you'll receive your form for selecting your top three regions with your snail mail acceptance packet. As the cycle progresses, you'll be able to acquire the email address of the guy in charge of assigning regions and can just go with that approach then (since we both know you'll likely not want to wait for fear of LA or Phoenix being filled...).
-Bear in mind, this is a D.O. school, and like most D.O. schools, most of your rotations will be with preceptors and not at hospitals. Wherever a particular preceptor has privileges at are the places you may be visiting during a given rotation.
-There ARE ward/hospital-based rotations available to you regardless of region (if the rotation is outside your region, the school generally has housing available to you). You have to "apply" for them through the appropriate department heads during your MS2 year, generally. There are ward-based spots available in FP, peds, psych, ob/gyn (I think), IM (everybody is required to do an IM ward-based rotation during MS3), and surgery. There's also a hospital-based peds rotation at Cardon Children's in Mesa that the head of peds is heavily working on establishing into a D.O.-residency location.

On-Campus Housing
-If you want it, apply early. The earlier the better (app doesn't open up until closer to December I don't think...again...the portal is your source of info).
-If it is "added upgrades" it has a dishwasher. If it's "luxury" it has a dishwasher and washer/dryer in the apartment. If it's "standard" it has none of the aforementioned amenities.
-They all have a microwave and fridge.
-They're unfurnished.
-They're not run-down by any means, but they're not glamorous either.
-They include EVERYTHING except electric. Yes, this means your basic cable and internet are also included in your rent.
-They're the safest apartments I know of around here. The complex is gated and has campus security in and out 24/7.

Stuff to Do Before Starting
-Don't study.
-Enjoy yourself while you can.
-Don't study.

Attachments

• Copy of Match locations 2000-2011.xlsx
    93.7 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
I am an incoming first year student, so I've just finished going through the process. I am happy to answer any questions you have as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an incoming first year moving to the desert from a beautiful city by Lake Michigan, I am more than willing to give advice to those of you seeking it. Good luck with your applications this round and I hope to see some of you in Glendale next year (or sooner for interviews)!

Hi, Could you please take a look at my stats and see if I have a good shot applying for Midwestern this year ?
I am an Arizona resident and plan to apply for AZCOM this cycle. I have a sGPA 3.55 and cGPA 3.59. I have:
-around more than 50 hours of shadowing with a primary care DO and 2 other NMD
-around 50 hours of various community services (including helping out for the Project Cure, Adopt A Street, Sort and Pack Food for the poors, etc)
-200 hours volunteering at a clinic with 2 primary care MDs. (responsibilities include taking patient vitals, translating for Vietnamese patients, helping out at the billing department, receptionist at the front desk, doing scheduling)
- member of pre-med club and pre-pharmacy club at my school. We did some activities together so I joined both of the clubs.
- worked as a math tutor for 2.5 years at a community college.
I plan to take the MCAT in August and I am aiming for a 30. Do I have a good chance at Midwestern? It is my first choice.

Hi, Could you please take a look at my stats and see if I have a good shot applying for Midwestern this year ?
I am an Arizona resident and plan to apply for AZCOM this cycle. I have a sGPA 3.55 and cGPA 3.59. I have:
-around more than 50 hours of shadowing with a primary care DO and 2 other NMD
-around 50 hours of various community services (including helping out for the Project Cure, Adopt A Street, Sort and Pack Food for the poors, etc)
-200 hours volunteering at a clinic with 2 primary care MDs. (responsibilities include taking patient vitals, translating for Vietnamese patients, helping out at the billing department, receptionist at the front desk, doing scheduling)
- member of pre-med club and pre-pharmacy club at my school. We did some activities together so I joined both of the clubs.
- worked as a math tutor for 2.5 years at a community college.
I plan to take the MCAT in August and I am aiming for a 30. Do I have a good chance at Midwestern? It is my first choice.

I don't see why you wouldn't. Great volunteer work and GPAs. If you can get a 28-29, I think you'll get an interview. Good luck on the MCAT, and be sure to get a DO letter!

I don't see why you wouldn't. Great volunteer work and GPAs. If you can get a 28-29, I think you'll get an interview. Good luck on the MCAT, and be sure to get a DO letter!

I agree. You have the right profile to have a shot. At this point, the key area of focus is early application submission (get the primary in ASAP, yes...before you take the MCAT), and a strong personal statement.

Good luck to all of the applicants this cycle! I am planning to apply next cycle (2013-2014) with AZCOM as one of my top choices so I will be watching this thread closely!

I'm still wait listed from last cycle, this school is awesome and the faculty is super welcoming. I'm reapplying this year with what I believe is a much stronger application. Good luck to all!

Im applying here too everybody.
Cgpa- 3.64
Sgpa- 3.94
MCAT- waiting on score (5/19)
Great EC's and LORs

AZCOM is my top choice! Good luck all!

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Last edited:
I am an incoming first year student, so I've just finished going through the process. I am happy to answer any questions you have as well.

You wouldn't happen to have the secondary prompts for Midwestern would you?

You wouldn't happen to have the secondary prompts for Midwestern would you?

2. Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

3. Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class?

I'm not sure about the character limit. I think it was 1500 characters including spaces.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a Canadian applicant I would need to have sufficient funds in a US bank covering all expenses. How much are they looking for?

As a Canadian applicant I would need to have sufficient funds in a US bank covering all expenses. How much are they looking for?

Hey, 2nd year Canuck at AZCOM. Ya, you need proof of 4 years plus living expenses in a bank, I believe it should be around $350k. Most people I've talked to uses a line of credit to show it.

Hey, 2nd year Canuck at AZCOM. Ya, you need proof of 4 years plus living expenses in a bank, I believe it should be around $350k. Most people I've talked to uses a line of credit to show it.

350k? wow...not applying here for damn sure

I would put AZCOM as my first choices if it wasn't for their tuition, but I will be watching this thread. I am applying 2013-2014 cycle.

Also, for those of you who have lived in Arizona for 5 years or more...don't forget about the WICHE scholarships. I THINK, but could be wrong...you get 80k toward tuition.

I'm an incoming 1st year Canadian student, so feel free to ask me any questions about the application process:)

I'm applying here as well. Good luck to everyone. Has anyone received a secondary yet?

I don't think anyone has received a secondary yet, but I think they will soon. I really hope I can get an interview at this school.

For someone with an, oh I don't know, 24 MCAT and 3.77 GPA , AZ resident, really good EC's, letters, and personal statement (completely arbitrary, of course lol ) Have ANY kind of shot at admittance? The lady I spoke to yesterday said they didn't admit anyone with less than a 27 last year. I was hoping my GPA and rest of my application would balance it out. Can anyone shed any insight?

For someone with an, oh I don't know, 24 MCAT and 3.77 GPA , AZ resident, really good EC's, letters, and personal statement (completely arbitrary, of course lol ) Have ANY kind of shot at admittance? The lady I spoke to yesterday said they didn't admit anyone with less than a 27 last year. I was hoping my GPA and rest of my application would balance it out. Can anyone shed any insight?

Wondering the same. I got a 26 coupled with a 3.7 cumulative and a 3.96 science.

Re-taking the MCAT is not an easy decision and requires a significant time sink to make sure it goes well the 2nd time, but I would at least try for a 27. It's getting more competitive each year and I can't imagine it being that much different for other schools.

If they didn't accept a single applicant with less than a 27, then their mean would likely be 30+... If I'm not mistaken their mean is more like 28 or 29, so I find that very hard to believe.

If they didn't accept a single applicant with less than a 27, then their mean would likely be 30+... If I'm not mistaken their mean is more like 28 or 29, so I find that very hard to believe.

Thats kinda what I was thinking.....

Exactly, the rep said that a majority of people accepted had 30+. If that was true there must have been A LOT of 27's to keep the average at 28. I feel like thats kind of ridiculous, I don't know though.

Exactly, the rep said that a majority of people accepted had 30+. If that was true there must have been A LOT of 27's to keep the average at 28. I feel like thats kind of ridiculous, I don't know though.

Yea something isnt right then.....who knows. I guess I'll leave my app active and waste the 50 bucks.

I'm an incoming 1st year Canadian student, so feel free to ask me any questions about the application process:)

Canadian applicant here. How much harder is or for Canadians to get in? I have 3.3 gpa (from US university), and expecting around 28+ on my MCAT (took it june 21st), would i still be competitive with those stats?

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Canadian applicant here. How much harder is or for Canadians to get in? I have 3.3 gpa (from US university), and expecting around 28+ on my MCAT (took it june 21st), would i still be competitive with those stats?

Plenty of Canadians at AZCOM. The hard part is finding a way to prove you can fork over $300k+ if you're accepted.

Plenty of Canadians at AZCOM. The hard part is finding a way to prove you can fork over $300k+ if you're accepted.

OMG! I can't even imagine what the final loan debt looks like for these people.

Current students:

What is your opinion on the pod students/school? I think you have integrated classes, no? I want a med students opinion on the students/program. Thanks!!

Current students:

What is your opinion on the pod students/school? I think you have integrated classes, no? I want a med students opinion on the students/program. Thanks!!

They're generally indistinguishable from the DO students until you realize you never see them in OMM or ICM.

Do you think both Midwesterns (AZ and Chicago) will have the same secondaries? Other than perhaps why AZCOM and why CCOM?

I didn't get anything yet either.
:poke:

I didn't get anything yet either.
:poke:

I received one from CCOM yesterday. I went into the app today at online.midwestern.edu and had a secondary from AZCOM aswell (which wasn't there yesterday).

Anybody that didnt apply to ccom have a secondary yet?

Anybody that didnt apply to ccom have a secondary yet?
Just go to online.midwestern.edu and then on the bottom right click account setup --> applicant account. Then put in your AACOMAS ID for student ID. Then you can access everything. Hope this helps.