Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed last week (Wednesday) but haven't heard back from them. I was under the impression it would be a couple weeks before we should expect anything. Did you hear back from them? I'm stressing out because AZCOM is my #1 choice and I'm not too confident with how the interview went. I was accepted at CCOM and a couple other schools, but my wife and I really want to end up in Arizona.
I interviewed last Tuesday and haven't heard back yet .
But based on what the other accepted students said, it seems like most of them wait 5-10 days to hear back from AZCOM. A 2nd year student told me that he got accepted the day after his interview.
I really hope that ill see my checklist tmr !

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed last Tuesday and haven't heard back yet .
But based on what the other accepted students said, it seems like most of them wait 5-10 days to hear back from AZCOM. A 2nd year student told me that he got accepted the day after his interview.
I really hope that ill see my checklist tmr !

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand is that schools have applicants come in for interviews for a selected period of time and then the admissions committee meets up every once in awhile to review those applicants. This means that if you interview the day after the admissions committee meets, it will be quite awhile before they meet up again, which means you will wait longer to hear back from them. On the other hand, you could interview the day before they meet up and get a decision back within a couple days. Two schools I interviewed at gave me an acceptance within five days of interviewing. Two of the others took two to three weeks. It's all about when you interview and when the admission committee meets up. If I recall, they told us this past Wednesday that we shouldn't expect to hear back from them very soon, but they're going to try to let us know before their Christmas break starts.

complete 11/23, placed on pre-interview hold. got <30 mcat though, so the person who said those who had sub-30 getting auto hold is spot on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed last week (Wednesday) but haven't heard back from them. I was under the impression it would be a couple weeks before we should expect anything. Did you hear back from them? I'm stressing out because AZCOM is my #1 choice and I'm not too confident with how the interview went. I was accepted at CCOM and a couple other schools, but my wife and I really want to end up in Arizona.

Haha I'm feeling the exact same way. Didn't come out of mine feeling like a represented myself properly, my body language was even off... I remember the names of my interviewers but I suppose there is no way of actually getting their e-mail. I was kind of thinking the same thing, but ya never know.

How soon you hear back is going to depend on when you interview, when the committee meets, etc. It's not going to be the same for everyone. Also, my interview was pretty bad since it was my first interview and I was visibly nervous but I was pleasantly surprised... So you guys should relax because the odds are actually in your favor.

Just got the accepted checklist! Checked on the portal and it's up! Interviewed last Friday Dec. 6th!!! OOS, 3.6 cGPA 29MCAT current Masters Student.

Just got the accepted checklist! Checked on the portal and it's up! Interviewed last Friday Dec. 6th!!! OOS, 3.6 cGPA 29MCAT current Masters Student.

Can anyone else confirm this? I'm just wondering if this is something that rolls out to the accepted applicants, or changing all at once for all those accepted. When I check my Midwestern portal, all I see is the accepted checklist for CCOM.

Woke up to the accepted student checklist!!! Interviewed yesterday 12/10. So happy!!!!

I'm glad I follow this thread! Just checked my portal to find the checklist!!!! I loved this school during the interview. It is definitely a top choice.

Stats-3.5/31 oos

Complete 9/1
Ii 10/20
Interview 12/6
Accepted today.

I can stop worrying now. Just checked and have an accepted checklist. I will most definitely be putting down a deposit.

3.46 cGPA
3.51 sGPA
30 MCAT (10 PS, 11 VR, 9 BS)
Interviewed 12/4

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted as well! So excited! Gotta decide between here and ATSU now.....

I started getting worried since people were getting their checklist, but I just checked and I have it up as well! Congrats to everyone. This is my first acceptance and I still have an interview at Touro-CA to attend, so we'll see what happens.

3.6 cGPA
3.5sGPA
29 MCAT (URM)
Interviewed 12/5

accepted! checklist popped out at 9am today right after I left Arizona for another interview!
3.7cGPA
3.8sGPA
32MCAT
CA resident
interviewed 12/3

Members don't see this ad :)
3.3 Overall GPA
3.2 Science GPA
26MCAT
Interviewed 12/5

This acceptance is just proof that no statistic or average defines whether you get in or not. This school saw me for more than my numbers, they gave me a chance because of my passion for service through medicine. There's hope in this competitive, ruthless system. Keep that head up, continue to pursue what you're passionate about and everything will work out!

Let's do this, CLASS OF 2018!!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
OMG accepted!!!!! My first acceptance!! I'm soo excited!! Interviewed 12/10. Literally two days ago!!

As far as I know, phone calls are rare. They do tend to send emails out, and the snail mail should be on it's way.

Just got the official acceptance email! It feels a little more real now! Haha. *Fist Pump*

As far as I know, phone calls are rare. They do tend to send emails out, and the snail mail should be on it's way.

Why is this the case? I don't understand why they would call one person and not another. I got a call from AZCOM but nothing except snail mail from Western. I thought that was just how each school did things.

Calls are fun though ;)

Put down my deposit! Looks like I'm moving to the desert!

Okay, I know it's been mentioned multiple times before in this thread that if you have an accepted student checklist you're in, and I do, but it's weird that I haven't even gotten an email or anything. Is anyone in the same situation? I put down my deposit yesterday and it went through, but I'd still like to have someone confirm beyond a doubt that I am in. Especially since my deposit deadlines for my other acceptances are running out.

Okay, I know it's been mentioned multiple times before in this thread that if you have an accepted student checklist you're in, and I do, but it's weird that I haven't even gotten an email or anything. Is anyone in the same situation? I put down my deposit yesterday and it went through, but I'd still like to have someone confirm beyond a doubt that I am in. Especially since my deposit deadlines for my other acceptances are running out.

I too have not heard anything "official" from the school but I had no problem paying my deposit and accepting the matriculation agreement. I'd say that is pretty official. You could always call.

Giving up my acceptance in favor of an in-state school so there will be one more spot opening up for all you out there still waiting. Good luck to you all! I loved AZCOM but just couldn't turn down an in state opportunity

I'm less than six months away from graduating and am still waiting for that phone call or email...

That's strange because I got a phone call, an e-mail, AND a letter in the mail.

That is weird. I got a call Friday morning, a day after my portal changed. They sent the email after the phone call and I was told I'd get a letter in the mail.

That is weird. I got a call Friday morning, a day after my portal changed. They sent the email after the phone call and I was told I'd get a letter in the mail.

I got an email today about signing up for rotations, so I guess that's as good as it gets. They told us during our interview that they just randomly call some people if they have time.

Giving up my acceptance in favor of an in-state school so there will be one more spot opening up for all you out there still waiting. Good luck to you all! I loved AZCOM but just couldn't turn down an in state opportunity

Same situation here. I'm a bit sad I'm not coming here but my state school is a better option for me I think (and cheaper). Good luck to anyone still waiting, more spots should open up by today.

It's pretty hard for me to figure out what rotation site to pick. In the pdf file that was sent they all look pretty solid. Anyone have any advice that could help me pick?

It's pretty hard for me to figure out what rotation site to pick. In the pdf file that was sent they all look pretty solid. Anyone have any advice that could help me pick?

I'm in the same boat. The ratings look the same. The only differences I saw were area obviously and that San Diego only offered four required rotations. The file said the students who go to the SoCal locations will have to do their ward-based IM rotation in AZ, usually in a rural area. That's only a one month rotation though. I plan on calling tomorrow so if I get any more info, I'll be sharing it.

I've had multiple people tell me just pick based on where you want to live that year. I'd go with West/East Valley unless you have a reason to live elsewhere.

I've had multiple people tell me just pick based on where you want to live that year. I'd go with West/East Valley unless you have a reason to live elsewhere.

So I called today and Terry said the same thing. Pick based on where you want to live because they're all gonna provide the same quality of education, and he referenced the ratings and scores. He said SoCal is filled up with only one spot left in Modesto and also one spot left in Chicago. Also said that if you pick East/West Valley, that you will choose which rural site you want to go to for that rotation, since there's three sites listed. Another thing he said was that in each area, you're rotating through the different hospitals for the required rotations and you're not stuck in one site. He said depending on where you live, you may have a long commute, around an hour in EV, and 45 minutes in WV. I'm not from Phoenix so I don't know the difference between E/WV's so if anyone can shed light on that, that'd be awesome, though I already submitted EV as #1 on my list... Also, the file, Terry, and my friend who's a first year there all said that you can switch later on, and that a lot of people end up doing that. Hope this helps!

So I called today and Terry said the same thing. Pick based on where you want to live because they're all gonna provide the same quality of education, and he referenced the ratings and scores. He said SoCal is filled up with only one spot left in Modesto and also one spot left in Chicago. Also said that if you pick East/West Valley, that you will choose which rural site you want to go to for that rotation, since there's three sites listed. Another thing he said was that in each area, you're rotating through the different hospitals for the required rotations and you're not stuck in one site. He said depending on where you live, you may have a long commute, around an hour in EV, and 45 minutes in WV. I'm not from Phoenix so I don't know the difference between E/WV's so if anyone can shed light on that, that'd be awesome, though I already submitted EV as #1 on my list... Also, the file, Terry, and my friend who's a first year there all said that you can switch later on, and that a lot of people end up doing that. Hope this helps!
Thanks!! helps a lot! Kind of had my heart set on LA. Hopefully I could switch later on.

Forgot to say that he also said you can submit your rotation survey before paying your deposit!

Thanks!! helps a lot! Kind of had my heart set on LA. Hopefully I could switch later on.
3rd year here - trading is allowed during the first two years. East and West Valley and LA tend to be the most requested spots from what I can tell, so with an EV/WV spot, you'd find future trading partners fairly easily.

3rd year here - trading is allowed during the first two years. East and West Valley and LA tend to be the most requested spots from what I can tell, so with an EV/WV spot, you'd find future trading partners fairly easily.
I'm really glad they allow some switcharoos. Right now my order of preference is LA, Chicago, San Diego, EV, WV. Chicago is closer to home (about 6 hr drive). Not sure how much time I'd have to be travelling home at any point though.

Congrats to all who got accepted to azcom. Good luck to us who are waiting. I have hold status. What are my chances to get an interview? Thanks in advance

Congrats to all who got accepted to azcom. Good luck to us who are waiting. I have hold status. What are my chances to get an interview? Thanks in advance
I don't think anybody knows the odds of getting in after receiving the hold status. If this is where you want to go, be resilient and let them know. From previous posts, it sounds like people think the odds aren't that great. But don't let that stop you, because like I said, nobody really knows. Set yourself apart by emailing the faculty/admissions about why you want to go there. Don't be annoying, but don't be mute either. Right now you're just a file. Put yourself out there and make them see you as a human being. At the end of the day, that's your best shot of getting in, I think. The cycle is long from over.

Has anyone from the December interviews gotten their letter in the mail yet?

I just got an ii with the only interview slots in March. So I am interviewing for the waitlist I assume
Edit: a january date just opened

Last edited:
I just got an ii with the only interview slots in March. So I am interviewing for the waitlist I assume
Edit: a january date just opened
Do you mind sharing when you were complete?.... also how did you know a slot opened in January? Did you get an email or watch the interview sign up site like a hawk!?

I got a March date too. Is admissions fine with us just rescheduling to an earlier date if one opens up?
Edit: I just looked, there was prob only 1 Jan date :(

Do you mind sharing when you were complete?.... also how did you know a slot opened in January? Did you get an email or watch the interview sign up site like a hawk!?

Hi Winterland.. I was complete 9/24. Did not expect an invite at this point. I got an ii email this morning, checked the scheduling site, there were only march dates at that point, scheduled a march date, refreshed about 15 minutes later and a January 31 date popped up, snagged that instead. Ha, so ya.. Like a hawk ;)

I got a March date too. Is admissions fine with us just rescheduling to an earlier date if one opens up?
Edit: I just looked, there was prob only 1 Jan date :(

Keep checking periodically. If a better date pops up (people do cancel) then just reschedule it on the site.

Keep checking periodically. If a better date pops up (people do cancel) then just reschedule it on the site.

Haha yeah that's what I'm doing! Congrats on the interview :)

@Winterland, Hopefully you hear from them soon! Good Luck!