Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha yeah that's what I'm doing! Congrats on the interview :)

@Winterland, Hopefully you hear from them soon! Good Luck!
Thanks! If I get an ii I will take your advice and go hawk style! Good luck on your interview!!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied late (November) and haven't heard anything back yet...does anyone know if the school is still offering interviews or if the class is pretty much full already?

Since you posted in numerous places, all schools are still interviewing.

Members don't see this ad :)
New interview slots opened up this morning (people dropping interviews I assume)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if interview is hold every week or specified days in a month? If so, how many interview days per week? How many applications are interviewed each day?

Does anyone know generally when those waitlist to get an interview get looked at??

Anyone have insight to how full the class is? I'm still crossing my fingers I get an ii!! Optimism!!

Has anyone had success replacing orgo II with biochemistry here? Just curious

Anyone have insight to how full the class is? I'm still crossing my fingers I get an ii!! Optimism!!
I spoke with admissions today - they said that the class is about half full right now and that they will be continuing interviews through April/May for seats (as opposed to interviewing for the waitlist).

Reactions: 1 users
I spoke with admissions today - they said that the class is about half full right now and that they will be continuing interviews through April/May for seats (as opposed to interviewing for the waitlist).
Oh yay! Thanks for sharing!!!

Hi all, I have an interview on January 31 but I am going to cancel it today so it should be available if any of you want it! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a december interview and I received my letter in the mail on 1/6 :)

Just popping in from rotations to say good luck to all of you interviewing and congrats to those of you accepted. AZCOM is an awesome school.

Does anyone who interviewed remember any of the tougher questions they asked? Thanks!

Does anyone who interviewed remember any of the tougher questions they asked? Thanks!

Same questions here!

Plus:
It seems that there is no interview in the months of November, 13 and Feb, 14, is it right? Anybody got interview during that months?

Just withdrew from consideration. I had an interview scheduled on Jan 29th. Hope someone here is able to grab it!

Hello, wondered if any of the current students could answer this question. What kind of clinical experience opportunities are there for first and second year?

Hello, wondered if any of the current students could answer this question. What kind of clinical experience opportunities are there for first and second year?
I would also like to hear more about this. I've seen a lot of AZCOM students in the hospitals around Phoenix, and they seem like they're generally comfortable around patients. Other than TOPS and patient simulations, how do you guys prepare for the clinical years?

I would also like to hear more about this. I've seen a lot of AZCOM students in the hospitals around Phoenix, and they seem like they're generally comfortable around patients. Other than TOPS and patient simulations, how do you guys prepare for the clinical years?

TOPS (for those who don't know: sports physicals on high school athletes), patient simulations/OSCEs, and others volunteer at one of the HOME clinics (provide care to homeless patients at one of the associated clinics) as often as they can. Just about everything else is done independent of the school.

TOPS (for those who don't know: sports physicals on high school athletes), patient simulations/OSCEs, and others volunteer at one of the HOME clinics (provide care to homeless patients at one of the associated clinics) as often as they can. Just about everything else is done independent of the school.
Thank you for the reply! If time permits, I have a follow up question about this topic. What is the intro to clinical medicine class like?

Thank you for the reply! If time permits, I have a follow up question about this topic. What is the intro to clinical medicine class like?

It's apparently undergone a revamp this year so it's not quite like it was when I took it. As far as I know though, during first year you still learn the basics of H&Ps and the physical exam, then second year is mostly about major diseases and clinical correlates as well as sharpening H&P skills. I'll defer to any current MS1s and MS2s though.

Does anyone know if AZCOM requires a second deposit later on? I've already submitted the one to reserve my seat, but I'm just wondering if I should be saving up to pay again.

Does anyone know if AZCOM requires a second deposit later on? I've already submitted the one to reserve my seat, but I'm just wondering if I should be saving up to pay again.
Unless things have changed, there's just the single $1k deposit.

Anyone know how full the class is? (sorry if the answer is in posts above, I get a short 5 minute break, dont have much time to read too far back)

Anyone know how full the class is? (sorry if the answer is in posts above, I get a short 5 minute break, dont have much time to read too far back)

There's a thread-specific search function that's fairly useful if you have a key phrase to help narrow it down (in this case "full" would work well). How full the class is was mentioned a page or so back in the past week-ish I think.

Does anyone know if there are any study abroad opportunities at this school?

Does anyone know if there are any study abroad opportunities at this school?

Some people do medical missions during summer after MS1 but I don't believe the school is involved. I think we can also do a global health rotation during MS4 (have to set up on your own or you may be able to do something with DOcare). I also know a couple of years ago one of the OMM scholars did a rotation with a DO in New Zealand.

anyone who interviewed last week get the acceptance?
not yet. i called admissions and they said they are interviewing throughout this week. i keep refreshing the post-interview checklist hoping it pops up one of these times...

Some people do medical missions during summer after MS1 but I don't believe the school is involved. I think we can also do a global health rotation during MS4 (have to set up on your own or you may be able to do something with DOcare). I also know a couple of years ago one of the OMM scholars did a rotation with a DO in New Zealand.

Thank you! :)

not yet. i called admissions and they said they are interviewing throughout this week. i keep refreshing the post-interview checklist hoping it pops up one of these times...

I have a couple friends who interviewed Tuesday, and they said admissions told them they'd find out February 7th.

Thank you! :)

I have a couple friends who interviewed Tuesday, and they said admissions told them they'd find out February 7th.
Were they part of the 1/21 or 1/28? I was from last week so hoping that means by Fri Feb 1 then?

Were they part of the 1/21 or 1/28? I was from last week so hoping that means by Fri Feb 1 then?

They were 1/28, but the adcom at this school doesn't meet weekly so you could all be lumped together for a February 7th decision.

Anyone who interviews on 1/21 heard anything yet? I interviewed on the 21st and haven't heard or seen anything yet.

I was interviewed on 21st and haven't heard or seen anything either..........

I was complete on 11/10 and have not heard since...are interview spots full?!:(

I think we're stuck waiting until next Friday...

Interviewed on the 29th, our tour guide said it was hard to gauge how full the class is because a lot of people withdraw even after paying deposits and they do take a good amount of the wait list each year. I think his name was Mike, but he also said that the wait list was NOT ranked.

Anyone who interviews on 1/21 heard anything yet? I interviewed on the 21st and haven't heard or seen anything yet.

INTERVIEWED 1/23, JUST CHECKED THIS MORNING AND WAS ACCEPTED! CHECK YOUR MWUNET!!! YAY FIRST ACCEPTANCE SO EXCITED!

Does anybody know how much of the deposit we would get back if we turned it down later?

INTERVIEWED 1/23, JUST CHECKED THIS MORNING AND WAS ACCEPTED! CHECK YOUR MWUNET!!! YAY FIRST ACCEPTANCE SO EXCITED!

Does anybody know how much of the deposit we would get back if we turned it down later?

No one refunds deposits afaik.

Just called the office and they said the admission committee is meeting this Thursday. They also checked my status and said I was still in the "interviewed" status. Meaning they haven't made a decision yet. I'm curious as to how they select people to be accepted. Sometimes it seems like the send out acceptances at random (random days and lengths of time after being interviewed) and other times it seems like they accept or deny applicants on specific days (such as this Thursday). I don't see much rhyme or reason with their acceptances.

Just got the accepted applicant checklist. Interviewed Jan 22. MCAT: 10 10 9. GPA: 3.6. In-state.

Just got the Accepted Checklist as well!!! I interviewed on Jan. 31st. Really fast response!!