Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know about the status of rotation sites? Have certain ones already filled up?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about the status of rotation sites? Have certain ones already filled up?

When I called in December, all of the LA and SD spots were filled. There was one spot left in Modesto and one spot left in Chicago, which I imagine have been filled by now. But if you are interested in those spots, I suggest ranking them first in case someone who's holding one of them decides to go to a different school later on. Also, don't forget that you can switch with people through first and second year.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the ratio of interview to acceptance rate is here?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing on March 3rd and planning on getting to town Sunday March 2nd around 3-4pm. Is anyone else gonna be in town for an interview? PM me if you are, let's meet upp!!! #superexcited!

complete 11/23, placed on pre-interview hold. got <30 mcat though, so the person who said those who had sub-30 getting auto hold is spot on.
I dunno about this, i applied late (January) with a 29 and got an invite?

I just withdrew my application and II. I hope one of you gets it! March 6 and 7 dates are available now.

I dunno about this, i applied late (January) with a 29 and got an invite?

I say that, but with your great GPA and good MCAT (If anything GPA makes up for slightly sub 30?), you got that interview. Congrats on the invite!

With that said, has anyone been taken off the pre-interview hold and gotten an invite yet?

I say that, but with your great GPA and good MCAT (If anything GPA makes up for slightly sub 30?), you got that interview. Congrats on the invite!

With that said, has anyone been taken off the pre-interview hold and gotten an invite yet?
Thanks, I appreciate it, I'm definitely excited about heading out there. I also wonder if it made a difference that my weak zone was VR (8) and not a science score (10BS 11PS); maybe some schools value strong sciences over strong VR scores, although I've heard people argue the opposite. Anywho.. goodluck and I hope you get off that hold

anyone interviewing this week? I hope there are enough seats left!

Members don't see this ad :)
I updated my application with my January 2014 MCAT score last week and found an interview invite on the portal today. GPA ~3.75, new MCAT 29 (8 P, 11V, 10B). I had been on pre-interview hold since September.

Are they still interviewing for acceptances? or just waitlist seats?

I updated my application with my January 2014 MCAT score last week and found an interview invite on the portal today. GPA ~3.75, new MCAT 29 (8 P, 11V, 10B). I had been on pre-interview hold since September.

In case anyone is interested, I called the admissions office yesterday to ask about my status (I've been on the pre-interview WL for a few months now). She said they haven't offered any interviews to those on the pre-interview WL, and that they haven't started re-reviewing that pile of apps yet.

Not sure if this applies to people with updated grades/mcat scores, but just an fyi for the rest of us. She said they interview through May and they anticipate offering interviews to some of us on the WL at some point in time.

I withdrew my acceptance, I hope it goes to one of you still waiting! Good luck everyone! :)

Apologies if this has been posted, but is there a Facebook group for the Midwestern DO class matriculating fall 2014?

In case anyone is interested, I called the admissions office yesterday to ask about my status (I've been on the pre-interview WL for a few months now). She said they haven't offered any interviews to those on the pre-interview WL, and that they haven't started re-reviewing that pile of apps yet.

Not sure if this applies to people with updated grades/mcat scores, but just an fyi for the rest of us. She said they interview through May and they anticipate offering interviews to some of us on the WL at some point in time.

Yup, she told me after they get through the all the regular applications and give/get deposits from as many acceptances from the "stronger" stat applicants as needed, THEN they'll take a look at the WL to fill up the remaining spots (presumably from those who withdraw due to acceptances elsewhere.) Makes me wonder though, if they've been accepting those with strong MCATs so far, say, 29+, they must be interviewing/accepting people with mcats~22-28 to get a 28 average (from their website). I'm staying optimistic for some healthy WL movement when May (and MD deadlines) come around :thumbup:

Yup, she told me after they get through the all the regular applications and give/get deposits from as many acceptances from the "stronger" stat applicants as needed, THEN they'll take a look at the WL to fill up the remaining spots (presumably from those who withdraw due to acceptances elsewhere.) Makes me wonder though, if they've been accepting those with strong MCATs so far, say, 29+, they must be interviewing/accepting people with mcats~22-28 to get a 28 average (from their website). I'm staying optimistic for some healthy WL movement when May (and MD deadlines) come around :thumbup:

Yes, that is exactly correct. They said they are looking for 29+, if it is below that, they are looking for 3.6+gpa to compensate. (via over phone sometime late last year)

Withdrawing my acceptance, great school but got accepted somewhere closer to home. Hope someone gets some happy news soon!

For interview hold or waitlist people:
Have you received an ii recently?
Is this year cycle basically done?

Anyone know when the next adcom meeting is?

Of March? I went the same week as you. Good luck! This waiting is getting me anxious
Hahah, maybe i met you! I'm very anxious, ive been refreshing my email and their portal all morning! I'll let you know as soon as i hear anything, that way you know to check too!

Hahah, maybe i met you! I'm very anxious, ive been refreshing my email and their portal all morning! I'll let you know as soon as i hear anything, that way you know to check too!

Thanks! I'll report back as well

Thanks! I'll report back as well

I just called the admissions office and spoke to someone there. Apparently the admissions committee meeting has been delayed and they will be meeting in a week from tomorrow... so she said we would hear back on the 24th at the earliest.

I just called the admissions office and spoke to someone there. Apparently the admissions committee meeting has been delayed and they will be meeting in a week from tomorrow... so she said we would hear back on the 24th at the earliest.

Oh wow. Thanks for letting us know!

Oh wow. Thanks for letting us know!

I also interviewed March 3rd and they told our group that the earliest we would hear is in 3 weeks, which is March 24th (a Monday). Waiting is painful though I will admit lol. I will report back as well, and I hope we all hear some good news!

After reading a few older posts about the pros and cons of AZCOM ( from 2005&2006), I have started to worry about "preceptor" vs "ward" rotations. Has AZCOM been able to secure more affiliated hospital "ward" rotations in the past few years? If so, is there a list of affiliated hospitals?

After reading a few older posts about the pros and cons of AZCOM ( from 2005&2006), I have started to worry about "preceptor" vs "ward" rotations. Has AZCOM been able to secure more affiliated hospital "ward" rotations in the past few years? If so, is there a list of affiliated hospitals?

I asked about that and they did say that they were trying to increase the number of ward rotations. Atm, the number is still on the low end

I asked about that and they did say that they were trying to increase the number of ward rotations. Atm, the number is still on the low end

Yea, I just hope that their effort is real and not just an attempt to sweep an issue under the rug. Did they say whether the OPTI network helps at all with clinical rotations, or strictly post doctoral?

Yea, I just hope that their effort is real and not just an attempt to sweep an issue under the rug. Did they say whether the OPTI network helps at all with clinical rotations, or strictly post doctoral?

This year and last year's threads, myself and Flushot addressed rotations ad nauseum, as much from '05/'06 is outdated to some degree. I'd arbitrarily estimate that AZCOM is a middle-high tiered program regarding the number of available ward rotations vs other DO schools, but that's mostly because most DO schools suck at securing ward-based rotations. I personally prefer preceptor rotations because I find them more hands-on and educational, so I've only done a few ward-based. That being said, I know people who wanted more ward-based rotations than they were able to have and I know others who seem to do ward-based for most of their rotations core. Regardless, the school could certainly do a much better job and contribute much more money than they do to the clinical years.

Also, there are rotations at several OPTI sites...in Arizona.

FYI Tuition this upcoming year will be a bit more than $58k.

Reactions: 1 users
When do we typically hear back after interviews? I interviewed 3/13 exactly 1 week ago.

Is the match list up ?
It usually doesn't come out until summer. There have been a number of FM, IM, peds, EM, ob/gyn and gas matches I've seen posted by classmates (most of which were their #1s). We also had a number of ortho, ENT, etc in the DO match last month.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the big day! Fingers crossed!!

Reactions: 1 users
Can someone who is a current student further elaborate upon the clinical rotation sites throughout the program? Will I be likely to live in the Phoenix area for the entire four years while at AZCOM? I would just like to have a better idea as I am married and we will likely have are first child by the time I matriculated into AZCOM, so stability is a key factor :)

I interviewed 3 weeks ago on March 3rd, and they said that today was the day they would be calling people for acceptances. Has anyone from the March interviews gotten a call yet? They also said that your status on the portal would be updated, but so far I've had no call and no change to my portal :(

I interviewed the 3rd as well. On Friday my portal changed a little bit (the applicant checklist was different). So, I called them to see what was up. They told me over the phone that I was put on the alternate list.

I interviewed on the 7th and I checked my portal on Friday, and it said I was accepted. I guess Friday was when the adcom met since I interviewed.

3.7 34 OOS with graduate degree related to medicine

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed the 3rd as well. On Friday my portal changed a little bit (the applicant checklist was different). So, I called them to see what was up. They told me over the phone that I was put on the alternate list.
The same happened to me.