Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who were accepted, have you received any communication from AZCOM about rotation site sign-up/ranking? Thanks.
Not yet.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who were accepted, have you received any communication from AZCOM about rotation site sign-up/ranking? Thanks.
I emailed admissions last week and asked. They said we should be receiving a letter from the Dean’s office of Osteopathic Medicine in early December which will ask you to select your desired clinical rotation preferences. As of last week they had not been sent out yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed admissions last week and asked. They said we should be receiving a letter from the Dean’s office of Osteopathic Medicine in early December which will ask you to select your desired clinical rotation preferences. As of last week they had not been sent out yet.

Did they mention that they would e-mail as well by any chance? I also asked admissions and they said they would e-mail "soon", but that we would have it before Dec. 15th. I've been obsessively refreshing my e-mail since :|

Did they mention that they would e-mail as well by any chance? I also asked admissions and they said they would e-mail "soon", but that we would have it before Dec. 15th. I've been obsessively refreshing my e-mail since :|

No, they were pretty vague. They didn't have too much information since it isn't handled by the admissions office.

No, they were pretty vague. They didn't have too much information since it isn't handled by the admissions office.
I was messaging with a student who said they send an email. Should be the same for us I bet...

I was messaging with a student who said they send an email. Should be the same for us I bet...
Nice, I hope so. My acceptance letter was lost in the mail so now I'm paranoid. I feel better knowing that other accepted students haven't gotten it yet either though!

Ah okay, well thank you! Seems like last year they sent an e-mail according to another post so hopefully they do that for us.

Can anyone comment on their overall experience on interview day?

Edit: also, suggestions for hotels?

I thought it was a great experience, and they obviously tried to make it low pressure. There was a lot of time to sit and chat with other applicants, which I enjoyed.

As for hotels, just make sure that you find out whether a hotel is under renovation before accepting a heavy discount.

Good luck, ToBeDoctor!

Does anyone have any ideas how to choose rotation sites? I'm from out of state, so all I really want is a place where I can learn as much as possible.

Good luck, ToBeDoctor!

Does anyone have any ideas how to choose rotation sites? I'm from out of state, so all I really want is a place where I can learn as much as possible.
I'd say that's an area where we would need students in rotations to chime in. It's a no-brainer for some of us if we have connections, etc, but it would be great to hear from folks living it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so glad for the data they gave about last year's class evaluations and test scores.

Is there anybody with an acceptance from AZCOM this interview cycle who wouldn't mind if I PM them some questions?

Is there anybody with an acceptance from AZCOM this interview cycle who wouldn't mind if I PM them some questions?
If you need a third person, I'll be glad to try too.

Last edited:
Hi avivace,

First of all, thanks for taking the time to left me bug you. Second, congrats on getting in. You're a badass and a rock star. This is going to be kind of a crapshoot, but here we go:

0) Is this where you are for sure deciding to matriculate?
1) Are you familiar with the Phoenix area? As in, do you have much experience there?
2) Whether you do or don't, what was/is your impression of the area? Is it livable? How do you manage to survive 120 degrees??
3) Is there anything you wish you could tell the younger you who was going to the interview that day?
4) What was your impression for the interview? What were they interested in? Was there anything particular you felt they were fishing for in an applicant?
5) What resources did you use to research AZCOM? I want to be able to discuss AZCOM rather thoroughly when the "Why us?" question comes up, but I can't find practically anything on them besides their general mission statement and some news articles. Why did you choose this school over others?
6) If I went here, would you be a cool classmate to have?
I can promise only #6...

Just withdrew my acceptance here, wishing the best for you all! :)

There is now an interview slot for December 3 available if anybody wants it. Withdrew my II tonight. Best of luck!

Interviewing Friday, Dec 5th and coming from San Diego, anyone else traveling the same way?

Interviewing Friday, Dec 5th and coming from San Diego, anyone else traveling the same way?

Not coming from Cali, but I'll be there Friday! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Can anybody recommend a cab service to use from the airport and while in town?

It's quite a ways from the airport to the school, so if renting is an option you might price that as well as a cab. I remember the school sent out a sheet with a shuttle that gives discounts in one of their pre-interview emails.

It's quite a ways from the airport to the school, so if renting is an option you might price that as well as a cab. I remember the school sent out a sheet with a shuttle that gives discounts in one of their pre-interview emails.
Did you rent a car directly from Sky Harbor?

Did you rent a car directly from Sky Harbor?

Yes, and it worked well. I think the school had a discount with one of the rental companies. It was on the sheet with info on hotels and the shuttle.

Anyone moved from the alternate list yet here?

still on the pre-interview waitlist. things haven't moved for me since August!

What is the "correct" way to say AZCOM? Is it pronounced just as it looks (as-com)? Or do you say each letter?

Does this school boast the highest tuition among DO schools or what?

MSUCOM is 80k if you're out of state, so AZCOM would be third.

Last edited:
Got a random email from the admissions just now "thanking me for visiting the campus" at freaking 2AM. Almost gave me a heart attack, thought I was rejected or something lol!

Got a random email from the admissions just now "thanking me for visiting the campus" at freaking 2AM. Almost gave me a heart attack, thought I was rejected or something lol!
I hear ya'...got that at like 2300 the night I interviewed, myself. Watch your portal!

Does this school boast the highest tuition among DO schools or what?

Tuition for most DO schools is ridiculously high in general, and AZCOM is painfully so. However, cost of living is very low (unless you want to live on campus or at the apartment complexes across from campus) so it's actually comparable to some of the schools with $48,000 tuition (I was looking at schools in high living cost areas though).

Interviewed here today. Overall very impressed and really hoping I get a chance to attend!

where would you live to keep cost of living very low?

I'm not from the area so I don't know too much yet, but I have been looking online at places in Phoenix that are about 15 minutes away. I found some 1 bedroom apartments that are within the $425-545 range. My friend who is from the area said that he might move to downtown Phoenix with a roommate, and pay around $345. It really depends what you're looking for, but if you don't mind a 2br with a roommate I think you could definitely save a lot of money that way. The school has free parking to my knowledge and a 30ish minute commute/day isn't going to kill on gas.

That being said, the tuition is still very expensive. Personally I made a list of each school I was accepted into, looked at their COA sheets and recalculated to produce a more realistic COA by eliminating expenses I probably wont have, inputting realistic transportation costs, and googling apartments in the area and checking reviews.

Interviewed on the 4th. I was jonesing for some sunshine:cigar:... and it rained our whole tour. :penguin:

I'm not from the area so I don't know too much yet, but I have been looking online at places in Phoenix that are about 15 minutes away. I found some 1 bedroom apartments that are within the $425-545 range. My friend who is from the area said that he might move to downtown Phoenix with a roommate, and pay around $345. It really depends what you're looking for, but if you don't mind a 2br with a roommate I think you could definitely save a lot of money that way. The school has free parking to my knowledge and a 30ish minute commute/day isn't going to kill on gas.

That being said, the tuition is still very expensive. Personally I made a list of each school I was accepted into, looked at their COA sheets and recalculated to produce a more realistic COA by eliminating expenses I probably wont have, inputting realistic transportation costs, and googling apartments in the area and checking reviews.

I would recommend you check out houses in the area as well. There are a bunch of them that are very nice and usually about the same price as an apartment. I have a family so I don't know about 1 bedroom apartments, but plenty of my classmates end up renting a nice 3-4 bedroom house together for just as cheap. A lot of them are only 5-10 minutes from campus. Also, if you join your classes Facebook page you will find that a lot of current students will be moving out towards the end of spring and they will be putting up a lot of information and offers on apartments and houses.

Interviewed on the 4th. I was jonesing for some sunshine:cigar:... and it rained our whole tour. :penguin:

Ahaha, that is the one day it has rained in the past month or two! Hopefully the interview went well for you anyway.

3 days since my interview and still nuffin'.+pissed+
They hate me and think I'm ugggllyyyyyy! :sorry:

3 days since my interview and still nuffin'.+pissed+
They hate me and think I'm ugggllyyyyyy! :sorry:
Did you have your interview on Thursday? The admissions said they will meet next Thursday with results possibly out on Friday. Probably have to wait one more week.