Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any suggestions for applicants who received a letter informing them that they've been placed on a pre-interview hold? I received one back in October. I plan on sending a letter of intent that includes a few updates. Will this effort be in vain or will it be helpful?
I'm also on a pre-interview hold and I wrote an update letter but I still haven't heard anything. Might not be worth your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I did as well, and it went away after I sent in my transcripts. It may just mean that they haven't verified your degree yet.
Many thanks for everyone who keeps thinking of my post. In my case it means I'm on the Alternate List. Not ideal but I can keep my fingers crossed!

I'm also on a pre-interview hold and I wrote an update letter but I still haven't heard anything. Might not be worth your time.
Any suggestions for applicants who received a letter informing them that they've been placed on a pre-interview hold? I received one back in October. I plan on sending a letter of intent that includes a few updates. Will this effort be in vain or will it be helpful?
Update letters likely won't help unless there are significant changes to your GPAs or ECs. I was told they won't pull people off waitlist until all the interviews have been conducted. I wasn't provided with a specific date but I am estimating the end of March for the waitlist to start moving.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do this. It helps. Get in some more shadowing as that is helpful too, especially with DO's. Update your grades, your degree, whatever you've been doing that past 9 months since you submitted your app.

Does anyone know if they are still interviewing for spots or is it waitlist only at this point?

is it a bad sign that I haven't gotten a decision from the school 10 days after my interview?

Withdrawing my acceptance from here. Good luck to you all!

Does this school have the same stats in terms of acceptance as the MWU CCOM in chicago, or it's a little below CCOM?, considering the chicago one has been around for more than a century??

Does this school have the same stats in terms of acceptance as the MWU CCOM in chicago, or it's a little below CCOM?, considering the chicago one has been around for more than a century??

CCOM has higher stats, but my guess this year, the average MCAT for AZCOM will be around 29-30. Although, if they do not halt their tuition increases, I imagine it will trend back down.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the deposit partial refund of $100 works? I may be withdrawing in favor of another school. Hopefully it'll go to one of you on the WL!

Hey all! Has anyone heard which locations for rotations still have openings? On the alternate list and concerned what will be left!

Any folks with a 27 MCAT and 3.45 sciGPA get any love from AZCOM? welcome to PM if you'd like. Thanks all.

Anyone get an II lately? I retook MCAT in January, got that 29 minimum it seems that's needed at AZCOM, and still on pre-II hold...

Anyone get an II lately? I retook MCAT in January, got that 29 minimum it seems that's needed at AZCOM, and still on pre-II hold...
I got an II two weeks ago for April 20th. I got a 29 and had my secondary submitted in October.

So it is safe to say that if you have a MCAT below 29, AZCOM will not even look at your app?

FYI-tuition is increasing 4.5% for 2015-2016. That brings it to $60,641.

What do you mean? They don't seem to have much trouble filling their class...
That's because there's tens of dozens of competitive Arizona applicants who are passed over for OOS $$ by our "State" schools. :D

Reactions: 1 users
that's because there's tens of dozens of competitive Arizona applicants who are passed over for OOS $$ by our "State" schools. :D
:( you dont need to remind me of our treatment by the UAs and their strangely low IS love. You got into AZCOM and still waiting on Tucson right?

:( you dont need to remind me of our treatment by the UAs and their strangely low IS love. You got into AZCOM and still waiting on Tucson right?
Indeed. AZCOM, here I come!! :)

Anyone placed on pre-interview hold get any ii recently?

I know UA is only 50% IS now :/, but If you have 30+, why wouldn't you just apply to OOS MD schools?

How frequently do new interview dates open up? I was recently extended an II but I'll be out of town during those dates. I can always reschedule my flight, but I wonder what my chances are to land another date. They're all in May currently.

I died a bit inside when I discovered this during this app cycle.. A few years ago they were IS only and it has turned into 50% AZ, 50% CA
Of that 50% AZ, very few were born and raised here. You need only be here a couple years to establish "Residency."

Complete 2/18, II 2/21, Interview at the earliest was 4/20. Any other ridiculously late applicants out there?

Complete 2/18, II 2/21, Interview at the earliest was 4/20. Any other ridiculously late applicants out there?

lol. submitted secondary on 03/01, ii on 03/06, interviewing also on 04/20. I guess I'll see you there. :)

Can anyone comment on how conservative people are at this school/area? I'm an LGBT student who's used to being in a generally accepting, liberal environment (Los Angeles) and have never had to worry about hiding who I was, though I'm not "flamboyant" to begin with. I was kind of shocked when I read a recent article that pointed out that people can legally be fired or evicted in Glendale, AZ for being gay.

Any input would be appreciated! :)

Can anyone comment on how conservative people are at this school/area? I'm an LGBT student who's used to being in a generally accepting, liberal environment (Los Angeles) and have never had to worry about hiding who I was, though I'm not "flamboyant" to begin with. I was kind of shocked when I read a recent article that pointed out that people can legally be fired or evicted in Glendale, AZ for being gay.

We have a number of gay and lesbian people in our class, we all know and we don't care. There are a huge proportion of people from California as well so you won't have trouble fitting in. The businesses surrounding school is all supported by students, they're all very friendly, I've never heard of anyone having trouble because they're gay.

I will be withdrawing today from april 14th interview, in case anyone wants to grab that date. Good luck everyone!

I wouldn't be too concerned. I can't comment on Glendale, but I live in a very conservative area and it's really only an issue among kids. Very few conservative adults in conservative areas will even know that a person is lesbian, gay or bi (flamboyant gay men and trans folk are another matter) unless they are told clearly and explicitly. I can also say from experience that pride gear and gay rights stickers on a car go right over the majority of my neighbors' heads. Invisibility is a mixed blessing, but it's useful for dealing with landlords and bosses.

Even when they are do know that someone is LGBT, the conservative adults I know don't go out of their way to be jerks. Most don't approve of LGBT people, and want laws reflecting that, but don't actually harrass or discriminate against individuals. I think they just don't care that much. Its not ideal, but it's not that hard to live with that attitude from random strangers when you can always find likeminded friends.

Finally, I've watched too many highly competent black and latino coworkers lose jobs for no good reason to really think antidiscrimination laws do as much as we might like to think. They're a nice gesture and goal, but they're easy enough for prejudiced people to work around that simply having laws in place doesn't necessarily protect an individual from workplace or housing discrimination.

Most conservatives are not like the people you see in the media, and conservative areas aren't as hard to live in as you might think. Glendale may or may not be as welcoming as some parts of LA, but either way it probably wouldn't make much difference to life as a student.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I got my rotation assignment - my site is West Valley. This is pretty disappointing, since I was hoping to get somewhere in CA. How likely is it that I will be able to switch to a more preferable rotation?

A couple weeks ago I got my rotation assignment - my site is West Valley. This is pretty disappointing, since I was hoping to get somewhere in CA. How likely is it that I will be able to switch to a more preferable rotation?

very likely

people change all the time, especially in MS2 when they a.) decide to stay in Phoenix, because it's better, or b.) have a significant other in Phoenix and don't want to leave. If you want to go to Cali, you'll mostly likely be able to find someone to switch with and you'll get to go back to Cali.

No- have not heard a peep. I'm also on pre-interview hold-Does anyone know if they are still conducting interviews?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on here received an II with a sub-29 MCAT?

Hey all! Anyone have an idea how deep into the alternate they tend to go into/when they hit up the alternate listers?

Hey all! Anyone have an idea how deep into the alternate they tend to go into/when they hit up the alternate listers?
From the Alternate letter, "It is difficult to predict how many (if any) people will be accepted from the list, as the number varies significantly year by year."

I'm with you on the list. It is not super fun; but if we polish our cv's over the summer and apply as soon as possible, we should should be shoe-ins for next year. (But I hope we both get phone calls in the next month or so!)