Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning, complete 7/1. OOS 30MCAT, 3.5c, 3.98s, non-trad.

Members don't see this ad.

do you guys mind sharing when you submitted your secondary? I was marked complete July 19, so I'm hoping they haven't gotten to me yet.
It's only been 3 business days since you've submitted. I wouldn't worry yet :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted last year with the first group (orientation starts next week!) and it was the same story. A lot of 30+ MCATs for the first several batches, but it was by no means exclusive. This next year will go by quicker than you think, it seems like I should still be going through this process you are all in right now, it's hard to believe I will be starting next week. I interviewed at and was accepted at a few different schools but this one fit my situation the best and I had a really good interview day. As silly as it sounds, interview days really can be quite enjoyable. Good luck to you all!

It definitely seems that 30+ mcats are the first bunch to receive II. Numbers are important to AZCOM
I got an ii today, my MCAT is <30 (i'll leave it at that)...grades 3.85 c, 3.4 s. Stoked for the ii. Can anyone tell me if the interviewers see numbers? Open file? This school seems amazing. Pretty excited to see what happens here. Also, I have heard that a lot of schools, if they offer an interview, are ok with your numbers and most depends now on the interview and if you match their 'feel' can anyone confirm/deny this? Seems like a lot rides on interviews, if you can make it past the initial screening to get an interview. Thoughts?

I got an ii today, my MCAT is <30 (i'll leave it at that)...grades 3.85 c, 3.4 s. Stoked for the ii. Can anyone tell me if the interviewers see numbers? Open file? This school seems amazing. Pretty excited to see what happens here. Also, I have heard that a lot of schools, if they offer an interview, are ok with your numbers and most depends now on the interview and if you match their 'feel' can anyone confirm/deny this? Seems like a lot rides on interviews, if you can make it past the initial screening to get an interview. Thoughts?

II on Sunday? o_O

I don't believe the individuals interviewing you have that information during the encounter.

Also, do you mind sharing when you were complete? I've had my secondary in for a while but my LoRs just got processed last Thursday, so I'm trying to get a sense of how fast they move.

Also, do you mind sharing when you were complete? I've had my secondary in for a while but my LoRs just got processed last Thursday, so I'm trying to get a sense of how fast they move.
I submitted my secondary's on 6/23 I think. My letters went in 2 weeks ago. Took a little time for them to review and then today I got the invite for Sept. I think it is still early so over the next bit I assume more will be getting ii's. How are your stats if I can ask? Where else did you apply? Is AZCOM one of your tops?

I submitted my secondary's on 6/23 I think. My letters went in 2 weeks ago. Took a little time for them to review and then today I got the invite for Sept. I think it is still early so over the next bit I assume more will be getting ii's. How are your stats if I can ask? Where else did you apply? Is AZCOM one of your tops?
Yep, hopefully :) I have a 3.28 cGPA, 3.29 sGPA, 32 MCAT. AZCOM, Western Pomona, and Touro CA are my top choices at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, hopefully :) I have a 3.28 cGPA, 3.29 sGPA, 32 MCAT. AZCOM, Western Pomona, and Touro CA are my top choices at the moment.
I applied to Pamona as well. You from CA?

Yep, hopefully :) 3.28
I applied to Pamona as well. You from CA?

Nope, from the other side of the country actually but there's a very good chance I'll be moving to the Bay Area for work, and I must say I like the weather over there :D

I'm not 100% sure on this but last year I believe it was a semi-closed file interview, meaning they had access to your essays and personal statement but not your GPA or MCAT. As far as all of that number stuff is concerned, it was repeated to me many times last year and I saw this myself, that if you get an interview invite then they already know you can do the work. Most of the schools I interviewed at said something to that effect, the dean at Nova (great guy by the way) specifically told us that they already know we can do the work, they aren't worried about our numbers at this point. One caveat, if you have a low MCAT or low GPA, then you should definitely be prepared to talk about it in the interview. So yes, you made that big numbers hurdle and now a lot rides on the interview itself. It still isn't everything though, I know of plenty of people that did not have good interviews and still got in. Some felt like they had great interviews and did not get in. Here at AZCOM I felt really good about my interview despite the fact that I really fumbled one question.

Keep in mind that a lot of the interviewers aren't on the actual admissions committee and all they do is put in their thoughts, comments, opinions, etc.. So the outcome of your interview is just another piece of information for the adcoms to take into account...that said, the interview really is a very important part of it all. It's the only way they can really get a feel for you as a person and to clarify some questions they may have about your app. There used to be a link floating around on SDN that led to a questionnaire that was completed by a bunch of med school adcoms that ranked the most important factors in their decision to extend an interview, and the most important factors in their decision to admit a student. Naturally, MCAT and GPA were #1 and #2 for the interview decision, but after that, they dropped down to like 5 or 6 or something like that and factors such as the interview and letters of recommendation jumped up to the top. Really interesting information, someone should try to find it on here.

IMHO, those of you who are getting invites really have reason to go into it with a lot of confidence (but not swagger!), especially this early in the cycle. The interview CAN make or break you, but more often if falls somewhere in between. Regardless, your focus should be knocking it out of the park.

Reactions: 2 users
Am I the only one that's checking their portal every 5 minutes??

Reactions: 2 users
Got an interview invite last weekend

Secondary request 6/25, secondary sent I don't remember, II 7/23.
3.3 / 34 OOS
Interview is for 9/19!!

Looks like they're just approaching the apps that got complete the the first week or so of July.

Looks like MCAT is currently around 30+ with a few exceptions. Surprised @SynapticDoctah hasn't heard back.

2. Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 characters)

cuz im hot, which is obviously because im fly

Reactions: 1 users
How was the secondary for this school? I didn't apply because of tuition costs but I am thinking about it again...

Two essays. Why AZCOM and why you. I think you should give it a shot. Great school in a great location IMO.

They like high stats from what it looks like, so i think you'd have a shot with your MCAT.

AZCOM does indeed like higher stats, we were told in orientation by the Dean that the average MCAT for our class is 29. But refer to Randomusername's post on the first page, an average of 29 implies some above and some below as well.

Congrats on interviews everyone! Make sure to post your stats in the "Official Interview Invite Thread 2014-2015 Cycle" in the Pre-Medical Osteopathic forum so we can keep track of the schools giving out invites!

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Bell Road when I came down for my interview, then I stayed at the Drury Inn when I came down here looking for a house with my wife. I would recommend the Drury Inn it was quite nice, and the school is really only about a 10-15 minute drive depending on traffic. Very easy and accessible too, just right off of I-17.

I'm interviewing on 9/24! What hotel are you going to use? I'm still trying to decide between Drury or the closer Comfort Inn.

I was thinking of staying at the Drury since they have a shuttle to campus. I wasnt sure which others ones had that.

II today! Scheduled for 9/24

Complete on 8/1
3.38 sGPA, 3.45 cGPA, 10/11/10 MCAT, OOS

If there is any other female interviewing on 9/25 and wants to split at hotel room on 9/24, let me know! I have a room booked at the Drury Inn.

II today! Scheduled for 9/24

Complete on 8/1
3.38 sGPA, 3.45 cGPA, 10/11/10 MCAT, OOS

Congrats!

I was complete about half way through July and still nothing... OOS 3.7, 3.55, 27, 32

AHHHH complete on 8/1 and just got invited for II! My first :D soooo excited.

3.8GPA, 30MCAT, OOS

that was a very fast turnaround

Just booked my hotel reservation @ the Drury for Sept. 23-24...feel free to PM me if you'll be around then :)

Are you guys getting notified via email or just checking your portal?

Are you guys getting notified via email or just checking your portal?

I checked my portal. Just signed up for the 9/25 interview! Now I just have to decide if I should make a 11 hour drive from Bay Area or fly roundtrip for $300