Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my II today! Hope to see some of you on October 16th. Doing back to back interview days with another school... shall be interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone interviewing september 29th wanna split a hotel?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol received secondary yesterday, after seeing basically only 30+ mcat getting II I'm thinking I shouldn't even bother lmfao! Good luck to you all!

Lol received secondary yesterday, after seeing basically only 30+ mcat getting II I'm thinking I shouldn't even bother lmfao! Good luck to you all!

It's normal for a school to look at applicants with the highest scores first. We're still early in the cycle.

I wish the portal would crash so I could have a reason to stop checking it...

does anyone know what percent of students interviewed are accepted?

II today! (at like 1 AM, lol). Hope to meet some of you on 9/29!!!

has anyone received any info on the interview? Like where it's at, what time etc etc

Just got an interview invite!! So excited cuz I just sent in the secondary last week! Scheduled for 10/7...anyone else going that day?

Just got an interview invite!! So excited cuz I just sent in the secondary last week! Scheduled for 10/7...anyone else going that day?
Congrats! The only available dates I can see are Oct 14-20. Did you mean 10/17?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why dont they email you with interview invites? I randomly checked the portal and saw that I had an interview invite...not sure for how long though lol

Do any of you folks who just got IIs have sub 30 MCATS?

Interview invite at `1230am this morning lol complete 6/26.. 3.7 gpa (3.85 last 2 years at SDSU upper division bio), 29MCAT with a low of 8 in VR. I have been so fortunate to have been accepted to LECOM Bradenton, and don't really see myself picking this school over LECOM-B. I also have an interview at an MD program on the east coast that I am excited about. I still scheduled an interview for 10/14, but I may cancel. What do you guys think about using this interview to try to get multiple acceptances and see if that leads to scholarship offers? If anybody knows how that works, I'd really appreciate some advice, thanks!

Also wondering about this... Anyone want to chime in on this?
this percentage will vary depending on when you interview, the earlier the better. I think in a recent year they had 5,000 applications, 600 interviews for 200 spots. They probably accepted ~300-320 students, so maybe around 50-65% acceptance post interview (common for many schools)

Interview invite at `1230am this morning lol complete 6/26.. 3.7 gpa (3.85 last 2 years at SDSU upper division bio), 29MCAT with a low of 8 in VR. I have been so fortunate to have been accepted to LECOM Bradenton, and don't really see myself picking this school over LECOM-B. I also have an interview at an MD program on the east coast that I am excited about. I still scheduled an interview for 10/14, but I may cancel. What do you guys think about using this interview to try to get multiple acceptances and see if that leads to scholarship offers? If anybody knows how that works, I'd really appreciate some advice, thanks!
I doubt multiple acceptances will land you a scholarship. Remember, they can just pull another of the 5000 apps out, you wouldn't hurt them a bit.

Anybody going to the interview on September 25th? I'm flying in on the 24th around 3pm and was wondering if any current students know what to do around the area?

Anybody going to the interview on September 25th? I'm flying in on the 24th around 3pm and was wondering if any current students know what to do around the area?

Not attending the interview, but Midwestern is in a residential/suburban part of town.

If you want clubbing/restaurants/bars, head to downtown Scottsdale/Kierland area. If you want museums, there is a music museum about 10 min east of AZCOM on the 101 and an art museum in downtown PHX. Concerts/shows will probably be in Tempe (Mill avenue) or downtown PHX. I wouldn't recommend too much walking outside this time of year.

im sure a lot of applicants placed on pre-interview hold will receive interview invites in early 2015. I can confidently say that atleast half of the current applicants receiving IIs will decline their acceptance for another MD or DO school. Keep in mind that AZCOM has to give out over 300 acceptances so they can have a full class.

Hey everyone, I'm currently in my first year at AZCOM. I was in your shoes less than a year ago. I thought I bombed my interview but here I am, so don't stress! The campus is absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I love it here. Feel free to PM with any questions. Good luck!

In regards to the secondary, did you all upload a resume/do you know if it's required? Just feel it's redundant, given that my whole life is on my application pretty much.

im sure a lot of applicants placed on pre-interview hold will receive interview invites in early 2015. I can confidently say that atleast half of the current applicants receiving IIs will decline their acceptance for another MD or DO school. Keep in mind that AZCOM has to give out over 300 acceptances so they can have a full class.

does anyone agree/disagree with the above statement of mine. I'm in pre-interview hold (waitlisted) due to low mcat score.

does anyone agree/disagree with the above statement of mine. I'm in pre-interview hold (waitlisted) due to low mcat score.

We're you told you're in a hold or assuming because you haven't heard anything from them?

I mean, I know that AZCOM really wants those 30+s to boost their numbers, but they know they have to interview mid to high 20 scores as well because many of those 30+s may pick another school or get into MD.

As everyone is mentioning AZCOM wants those 30+ scores to boost numbers....

Where does this put my MCAT score of 30? I almost feel like a 30 isn't good enough for this school anymore...

I mean, I know that AZCOM really wants those 30+s to boost their numbers, but they know they have to interview mid to high 20 scores as well because many of those 30+s may pick another school or get into MD.

that's what one would think. What worries me though after reading last year's thread is that AZCOM won't even look at applicants with MCAT scores below 29 until January 2015. They will only start issuing II to us applicants on hold after January and we will be interviewing from February-May 2015. By that time, we may only be interviewing for waitlist/alternate positions.

So I'm guessing the fact I haven't gotten a hold email is a good thing...?

Where does this put my MCAT score of 30? I almost feel like a 30 isn't good enough for this school anymore...

way to humble brag lol, jk. You will receive an II if the rest of your app is alright.

way to humble brag lol, jk. You will receive an II if the rest of your app is alright.

ha...im just really neurotic about this. I see people who were complete after me with interviews, and yet, I've got nothing coming my way.

I don't think that it's about boosting numbers so much as this year is a record year for applications. Over in the pre-allo school specific forum some scary figures are starting to surface, like Oakland University having over 5000 secondary applications in before August; the University of Illinois received 8000 applications last year, and this year -- based on application volume so far -- they expect to receive twice that; etc etc I'll edit this with other scary figures when I find them, again.

Here are some historic app numbers from UCSD to AZCOM from 2010-2012, and things have only gotten worse.

(year: applied, accepted, matriculated)
2012: 139, 29, 14
2011: 104, 14, 6
2010: 93, 12, 8

Last edited:
ha...im just really neurotic about this. I see people who were complete after me with interviews, and yet, I've got nothing coming my way.

It's a thorough and holistic process. They have thousands of applicants. Give it time. Still being on hold is a good thing. It means they're thoroughly reviewing you, not just looking at numbers.

I have a question. I just logged into a saw a II on their website, but I did not receive an email. Did this happen to anyone else? In case anyone is curious 31 MCAT 3.64cGPA 3.7 sGPA OOS

I have a question. I just logged into a saw a II on their website, but I did not receive an email. Did this happen to anyone else? In case anyone is curious 31 MCAT 3.64cGPA 3.7 sGPA OOS
yup thats what happened to me!

I scheduled my interview for the 9/26! flying out the 25th. Anyone else doing the same?

Looking forward to my interview on 10/13. Anyone else for that date?

I don't think that it's about boosting numbers so much as this year is a record year for applications. Over in the pre-allo school specific forum some scary figures are starting to surface, like Oakland University having over 5000 secondary applications in before August; the University of Illinois received 8000 applications last year, and this year -- based on application volume so far -- they expect to receive twice that; etc etc I'll edit this with other scary figures when I find them, again.

Here are some historic app numbers from UCSD to AZCOM from 2010-2012, and things have only gotten worse.

(year: applied, accepted, matriculated)
2012: 139, 29, 14
2011: 104, 14, 6
2010: 93, 12, 8

lolno