Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pre-interview hold letter received today, (29. 3.4, 3.4) :/ good luck chaps and chapettes

Members don't see this ad.

Got the hold letter today as well. On the letter it said this still should be viewed as positive result haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the earliest interview date was here? Mine is on the 22, just wondering when they started interviews this year. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
What should one make of complete silence... no hold letters or anything...

I received a hold letter yesterday after being complete in early July. Could be worse I suppose!

What should one make of complete silence... no hold letters or anything...

Same here. OOS 3.7 cGPA, 3.55 sGPA, 27 (11/6/10), 32 (retake 12/8/12). For what it's worth, it seems like AZCOM has been pretty silent with IIs these past couple of weeks.

I received a hold letter yesterday after being complete in early July. Could be worse I suppose!

Stats? Date complete?

I just got an interview invite! Complete 9/2 OOS sGPA<3.5 MCAT >30. The woman at admissions said that they only had a few interview dates left before December.

I just got an interview invite! Complete 9/2 OOS sGPA<3.5 MCAT >30. The woman at admissions said that they only had a few interview dates left before December.

At this point, I just feel like giving up on this school. Even if they start looking at us < 29 MCAT scorers from January 2015, we will probably only be able to start interviewing from March or April or maybe even later. All the people who receive interview invites between September 2014-December 2014 will fill up all the January- April interview dates. This blows. Anyway, if all AZCOM cares about is the MCAT score and won't look at the rest of the app then there's nothing much I can do.

At this point, I just feel like giving up on this school. Even if they start looking at us < 29 MCAT scorers from January 2015, we will probably only be able to start interviewing from March or April or maybe even later. All the people who receive interview invites between September 2014-December 2014 will fill up all the January- April interview dates. This blows. Anyway, if all AZCOM cares about is the MCAT score and won't look at the rest of the app then there's nothing much I can do.
I've been complete with them since 8/12. I have a 32 MCAT, but I do have lower GPAs (cGPA: 3.14 sGPA 3.39). I'm not sure what they're looking for either.

EDIT: haven't been put on hold, have received no regular mail notifying me of rejection. no contact at all.

I've been complete with them since 8/12. I have a 32 MCAT, but I do have lower GPAs (cGPA: 3.14 sGPA 3.39). I'm not sure what they're looking for either.

EDIT: haven't been put on hold, have received no regular mail notifying me of rejection. no contact at all.

I didn't mean to discourage anyone. If it helps, she also said they weren't interviewing in November at all, so December interviews aren't quite as bad as they sound. I imagine that it just takes them a long time to look at everyone's app. An automatic filter might let them glance at apps with unusual stats quickly, but if you have good but unremarkable stats it'll take a human to notice that you have a great story, or lots of meaningful volunteering or clinical experience. As I understand it, those sorts of things can be critical to actually get accepted. It's just that a human has to have time to read your app before they can realize they want to interview you. Hang in there!

I didn't mean to discourage anyone. If it helps, she also said they weren't interviewing in November at all, so December interviews aren't quite as bad as they sound. I imagine that it just takes them a long time to look at everyone's app. An automatic filter might let them glance at apps with unusual stats quickly, but if you have good but unremarkable stats it'll take a human to notice that you have a great story, or lots of meaningful volunteering or clinical experience. As I understand it, those sorts of things can be critical to actually get accepted. It's just that a human has to have time to read your app before they can realize they want to interview you. Hang in there!
Not discouraged at all. Congratulations to you, you deserve it! I just meant that there seems to be some elements of admissions that I'm somewhat ignorant about. It can be disconcerting to not hear anything. Some schools are very good about letting you know what's going on, or not making you wait an undisclosed amount of time. They don't owe us that I suppose though, and maybe will spice up my holiday season. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't imagine them only looking at MCAT scores... and disregarding everything else :/ . Which obviously isn't the case so that means they wouldn't be able to fill their class.

When I called the other day, I asked if it is possible for me to get an II with my 27 before January (retaking MCAT in January) and whoever I was speaking to said yes. That certainly helped me.

Reactions: 2 users
When I called the other day, I asked if it is possible for me to get an II with my 27 before January (retaking MCAT in January) and whoever I was speaking to said yes. That certainly helped me.

That's great news! Let's just hope it's true because according to last year's thread, people who were placed on pre-interview hold were only looked at again after January. Also if they only give you an II in January, then it's very likely that you will interview after March since all the dates will be booked up by the people receiving II between now and January.

Last edited:
Pre-interview hold letter today. It says it's not necessarily a bad thing but it's probably not to hurt our feelings lol.

sorry to hear, at least you are still in the running though.
Pre-interview hold letter today. It says it's not necessarily a bad thing but it's probably not to hurt our feelings lol.
when were you complete?

sorry to hear, at least you are still in the running though.

when were you complete?

Yeah guess so, I don't know what that school wants. I was complete Aug 20th. Submitted early July.

Hahaha I don't get it. Some people are getting complete and then an II like 2-3 days later. I'm starting to think I messed up on the essays. This was the first school I submitted to so I don't think my secondary was as strong as it should've been.

So I was complete on 8/7 but no ii or hold letter yet... anyone else on the same boat?

Does anyone know what the earliest interview date was here? Mine is on the 22, just wondering when they started interviews this year. Thanks

My interview date is Sept 19th

Hahaha I don't get it. Some people are getting complete and then an II like 2-3 days later. I'm starting to think I messed up on the essays. This was the first school I submitted to so I don't think my secondary was as strong as it should've been.
Maybe there's a regional bias. So far I've only been offered interviews at schools in my general region.

Last edited:
So I was complete on 8/7 but no ii or hold letter yet... anyone else on the same boat?

I was complete 8/9 and still nothing from AZ or Chicago.

Not sure what to make of this..

Pre-interview hold letter received today. Fully expected and happy it wasn't a rejection.

Got the letter in the mail today too! I'm assuming it's also bc I'm OOS. I guess I'll just wait and see what happens.......

Is the hold letter the same as the one that says they'll keep reviewing my application and I should view this in a positive light?
The 2018 class is way more than half OOS. Probably at least 2/3 OOS, but I don't remember the numbers.

I'd like to know how you pronounced it too. Lol

I'm currently applying to AZCOM. I have a question about its location; I'm passionate about immigrant healthcare. Since the school is located in Arizona, are there many opportunities to interact with patients from Mexico and/or Central America? This is the patient population that I have the most experience serving in my current line of work and I hope to continue serving this community during my medical training.
Very much so.
If you forget this, just refer to yourself as "the osteopath" in the third person.
The only DOs that refer to themselves as osteopaths are the dire hard OMT gents.

Hey is this school low tier? mid tier?

What about its counterpart in Chicago?

I was complete 8/9 and still nothing from AZ or Chicago.

Not sure what to make of this..

It's a crap shoot. I've seen you've got ii from Tucom and western which are high tiers but no ii from AZCOM or CCOM. So weird

i applied to 14 schools. I have a horrible gpa's (both cumulative and science) and an average mcat (28)

the only school I didnt hear back from was William Carey. So those of you who didnt get secondaries, I dont think they rejected you. I just think maybe you were somehow overlooked.

Hey is this school low tier? mid tier?

What about its counterpart in Chicago?
There's really no widely accepted tier list for DO schools. Mainly just hearsay. Many people do speak highly of AZCOM and CCOM, however.

So, can anyone who has interviewed shed any light on how their experience was? Anyone know of acceptances going out yet? Interview/acceptance rates? I know the class size is roughly 250, and I hear they have a heavy pre-interview screen. Love this school, have a lot of friends who have or are currently attending. REALLY want to get in here. Anyone share any info?

Interview invite! IS 3.6 cGPA 31 MCAT with 3000+ hours of clinical work.
Does anyone know the dress code Midwestern usually prefers for interviews/anyone who has interviewed what have the men typically wore?

Interview invite! IS 3.6 cGPA 31 MCAT with 3000+ hours of clinical work.
Does anyone know the dress code Midwestern usually prefers for interviews/anyone who has interviewed what have the men typically wore?
There are several threads discussing this topic all over the place, I think preallo has them. Suit and tie are standard, but for the love of god, don't where a black suit.

I have my interview here this Thursday!! Can anyone that has already interviewed here give some feedback please? I heard the interviews are really chill.

Reactions: 1 users
Fairly quiet othen than a few II.. I wonder if anyone on hold status has heard anything. I haven't.

does anyone have any recent info on the post interview acceptance rate?