Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody from Orange County/ LA area going to the interview on October 16 that wants to carpool? I am driving to AZ on Wednesday and leaving after the interview on Thursday. I have a place for us to stay in Phoenix on Wednesday night. You would just need to help with gas money. PM me if you are interested.
I have interview scheduled on Oct 20th, so will make a road trip from Orange County to Arizona on Oct 19th, anyone up for it?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone flying in tomorrow for an interview this week? Message me and maybe we could go grab some food and explore the area!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all. Any input on my situation? MCAT = 32 (11/11/10). UGPA mechanical engr = 3.2. Masters GPA in biomed engineering = 3.5. Five first author publications in reputable journals. Complete on 8/22 and have not heard anything. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am about to cancel my interview for 12/1 but FYI looks like there are three dates in October open now along with some of the the December dates. 10/15, 10/21, 10/22 are available.

Hi all. Any input on my situation? MCAT = 32 (11/11/10). UGPA mechanical engr = 3.2. Masters GPA in biomed engineering = 3.5. Five first author publications in reputable journals. Complete on 8/22 and have not heard anything. Thanks!
You'll get some love. AZCOM seems to love engineering backgrounds especially. Patience patience!

You'll get some love. AZCOM seems to love engineering backgrounds especially. Patience patience!

thats pretty refreshing to hear. I'm a mechanical engineer myself (and Arizona local)... Havent heard anything myself, but have only been complete for a little over a month.

Does anyone know if the interview is open or closed file? Thanks
The panel knew everything about me from my application in advance. They asked a question or two specific to my experiences, etc.

Hi all... I was browsing the school's website for any info regarding community service or any other clinical experience program. I cant find much to talk about for this secondary. Could someone please link some material for me to read.. Thanks for the help in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my secondary for AZCOM and CCOM. For anyone applying to both, can you put the exact same essays for both?

Just received my secondary for AZCOM and CCOM. For anyone applying to both, can you put the exact same essays for both?
As long as you don't mix up CCOM and AZCOM, your good to go.

Current 4th year at AZCOM here. Any questions, lemme know. I will be honest in all my answers regarding any topic, like tuition, lectures, competition, rotations, etc with both the good and the ugly.

Feel free to PM me any questions at all about this program. Please be honest with yourselves (and when considering which medical school to attend.

Last edited:
Current 4th year at AZCOM here. Any questions, lemme know. I will be honest in all my answers regarding any topic, like tuition, lectures, competition, rotations, etc with both the good and the ugly.

Honestly if I were you, I would think long and hard before considering this school. Tuition alone is something we have to live with for years. All for what?...at most any other medical school, you will largely earn your own grades, and earn your own board scores. So do you want to pay $60,000/year to study for and earn your grades? Or do you want to pay $15,000/year to study for and earn your grades? This is one of the most no-brainer questions you are facing right now. My fellow classmates and I have countless, terrible experiences with AZCOM clinical education, rotations, preceptors, and ESPECIALLY with residency interviews conflicting with rotations. There isn't enough space to summarize them all. I'll be more than glad to name a few if you'd like. Ask around. Use common sense. How many 4th year friends attending AZCOM actually recommend it?

Feel free to PM me any questions at all about this program. Please be honest with yourselves (and when considering which medical school to attend.
Close to "SoCal": you guys know what I mean

Honestly if I were you, I would think long and hard before considering this school. Tuition alone is something we have to live with for years. All for what?...at most any other medical school, you will largely earn your own grades, and earn your own board scores. So do you want to pay $60,000/year to study for and earn your grades? Or do you want to pay $15,000/year to study for and earn your grades? This is one of the most no-brainer questions you are facing right now. My fellow classmates and I have countless, terrible experiences with AZCOM clinical education, rotations, preceptors, and ESPECIALLY with residency interviews conflicting with rotations. There isn't enough space to summarize them all. I'll be more than glad to name a few if you'd like. Ask around. Use common sense. How many 4th year friends attending AZCOM actually recommend it?

Thanks. Would you mind commenting a bit more on the issue of scheduling residency interviews? How is it done normally? Seems like a pretty big deal. Do you have a limit of how many days you can miss and so a limit on the number of interviews?

Thanks. Would you mind commenting a bit more on the issue of scheduling residency interviews? How is it done normally? Seems like a pretty big deal. Do you have a limit of how many days you can miss and so a limit on the number of interviews?
Residency interviews are typically offered during October, November, December. Most med schools know this, and therefore give some time off for their students to be able to attend those interviews. Stop and think about how important it is to attend those residency interviews. AZCOM allocates 2 months of vacation during 4th year, which students generally use 1 month at the beginning of 4th year (June) for boards, and the 2nd month for the end of 4th year (May) to spend time with family. AZCOM not only doesn't give scheduled time for residency interviews, but they tell us we can't miss more than 2 days during a rotation; otherwise we're risking a "marginal or failing grade" (that is a literal quote from an email my buddy just received this week). If we fail a rotation, guess who doesn't graduate!?! MOST EVERY 4TH YEAR AZCOM MED STUDENT HAS TO FLY UNDER THE RADAR DURING THIS INTERVIEW SEASON AND NOT TELL AZCOM THEY'RE MISSING DAYS, JUST TO BE ABLE TO ATTEND RESIDENCY INTERVIEWS. Let that sink in.

Any reason why they do this? It should be pretty obvious to admin that the whole point of med school is to get into the desired residency.
It'd be a great question to ask at an interview, don't you think?

Residency interviews are typically offered during October, November, December. Most med schools know this, and therefore give some time off for their students to be able to attend those interviews. Stop and think about how important it is to attend those residency interviews. AZCOM allocates 2 months of vacation during 4th year, which students generally use 1 month at the beginning of 4th year (June) for boards, and the 2nd month for the end of 4th year (May) to spend time with family. AZCOM not only doesn't give scheduled time for residency interviews, but they tell us we can't miss more than 2 days during a rotation; otherwise we're risking a "marginal or failing grade" (that is a literal quote from an email my buddy just received this week). If we fail a rotation, guess who doesn't graduate!?! MOST EVERY 4TH YEAR AZCOM MED STUDENT HAS TO FLY UNDER THE RADAR DURING THIS INTERVIEW SEASON AND NOT TELL AZCOM THEY'RE MISSING DAYS, JUST TO BE ABLE TO ATTEND RESIDENCY INTERVIEWS. Let that sink in.

Wow. That's crazy. Maybe there is a potential for improvement here though..? Im sure enough people complained already?

Will drive from Southern Cali (Orange County) on Oct 21st for interview on Oct 22nd. Anyone up for roadtrip? thanks

So...thank you for posting your original message. I can appreciate what you were saying. It certainly should inform any decision that anyone is making regarding their education. I, too, hope they get that situation straight before the next round of folks encounters it.

Regarding decisions...some applicants won't have many. If this is the only school that admits you, well, you're in med school! The other option might be to wait yet another year and try yet another approach at two in-state schools just so they can bend you over for deeper ramming a third time. I'd much rather pay the 60k every year, move on with life, and be done with it. That, and there's a certain appeal in attending a school that admits you the day after you interview when you got dry-humped by every school you applied to the year previous; in several cases, all the way up to the day they seated their classes. It's nice to actually be wanted somewhere rather than "Good enough" because they couldn't find someone better or the applicants the school really wanted went away to better schools.

I say this whole thing sucks badly enough, take pride where you can!! Just my $0.02.

Sorry, kinda off topic, but does anyone know if there is a standardized day when MD schools make acceptance announcements? I hear they have a specific date that they start informing applicants, which should entice some movement for everyone around the country at various schools. Anyone know about that at all?

Sorry, kinda off topic, but does anyone know if there is a standardized day when MD schools make acceptance announcements? I hear they have a specific date that they start informing applicants, which should entice some movement for everyone around the country at various schools. Anyone know about that at all?
Odd placement for this question since this is a D.O. school thread, but October 15th was the official first day that MD schools could accept applicants. (I know because i was accepted, woo! :D)

Odd placement for this question since this is a D.O. school thread, but October 15th was the official first day that MD schools could accept applicants. (I know because i was accepted, woo! :D)
Congrats!

So...thank you for posting your original message. I can appreciate what you were saying. It certainly should inform any decision that anyone is making regarding their education. I, too, hope they get that situation straight before the next round of folks encounters it.

Regarding decisions...some applicants won't have many. If this is the only school that admits you, well, you're in med school! The other option might be to wait yet another year and try yet another approach at two in-state schools just so they can bend you over for deeper ramming a third time. I'd much rather pay the 60k every year, move on with life, and be done with it. That, and there's a certain appeal in attending a school that admits you the day after you interview when you got dry-humped by every school you applied to the year previous; in several cases, all the way up to the day they seated their classes. It's nice to actually be wanted somewhere rather than "Good enough" because they couldn't find someone better or the applicants the school really wanted went away to better schools.

I say this whole thing sucks badly enough, take pride where you can!! Just my $0.02.
Another AZCOM MSIV here. I think this goes without saying. Obviously it's a more difficult decision if you only have 1 acceptance. But for those who have 2 or more, I would also recommend considering other schools. You guys do realize you'll be paying $60,000 and more (it increased $3,000 every year for us) for honestly some of the laziest and poorest quality 3rd/4th year rotations in the country? Because of this, AZCOM highly encourages us to do audition rotations, for what we can only assume to be their making up for these sad rotations. And if you want a decent ward-based rotation, part of the process is APPLYING to them. Don't assume you can get good rotations by just asking. The unfortunate truth is none of us are glad we chose AZCOM. If you can find a 4th year AZCOM student right now who recommends it, I would honestly be shocked.

Also fellow MS4 at AZCOM... I love it. I have had outstanding rotations, far better than those at the local public MD school. After rotating at UA and UA-Phoenix, I felt that my third year rotations were excellent. AZCOM is what you make it. The impetus is on you, the learner. There are fantastic rotation sites, but it's up to you to get what you want out of each rotation.

As far as us not getting a month off to interview... We do. We have 8 weeks total vacation as MS4. It's up to you how you use them. If the previous MS4s want to use them for board study, then for a long vacation in the spring, great! That can be done. However, they should not be complaining that they get no time to interview. I know plenty of MS4's taking the month of December or January off to interview.

Also fellow MS4 at AZCOM... I love it. I have had outstanding rotations, far better than those at the local public MD school. After rotating at UA and UA-Phoenix, I felt that my third year rotations were excellent. AZCOM is what you make it. The impetus is on you, the learner. There are fantastic rotation sites, but it's up to you to get what you want out of each rotation.

As far as us not getting a month off to interview... We do. We have 8 weeks total vacation as MS4. It's up to you how you use them. If the previous MS4s want to use them for board study, then for a long vacation in the spring, great! That can be done. However, they should not be complaining that they get no time to interview. I know plenty of MS4's taking the month of December or January off to interview.

I love your username! Just wanted to mention that.

I've just been invited for interview this morning. Question for those who flew from east coast to AZCOM: where did you book your hotel? And approximately how much time did you schedule for the visit? My interview is scheduled on Dec. 3rd, and I am thinking to get there the night before.

Also, any pointers on the interview? Besides the three big quesetions (why DO? why med? why AZCOM), what else should I prepare for?

I've just been invited for interview this morning. Question for those who flew from east coast to AZCOM: where did you book your hotel? And approximately how much time did you schedule for the visit? My interview is scheduled on Dec. 3rd, and I am thinking to get there the night before.

Also, any pointers on the interview? Besides the three big quesetions (why DO? why med? why AZCOM), what else should I prepare for?

I went to the Drury Inn and Suites which had a shuttle for interviewees.
Don't sweat the interview. They'll ask you questions. You will answer them. It isn't anything special. Just note that they don't see your grades and MCAT. Also remember your resume that you submitted.

I went to the Drury Inn and Suites which had a shuttle for interviewees.
Don't sweat the interview. They'll ask you questions. You will answer them. It isn't anything special. Just note that they don't see your grades and MCAT. Also remember your resume that you submitted.
Thank you! I will probably book my flight and hotel in the next few days. This is my first med school interview so far; hopefully will get some good news after.

Just wondering if there is any way to schedule my interview earlier than Dec. 3. There was only one option available on the website. Will more options with earlier dates pop up later? I'm afraid my December date may hurt my chance of admission.

Just wondering if there is any way to schedule my interview earlier than Dec. 3. There was only one option available on the website. Will more options with earlier dates pop up later? I'm afraid my December date may hurt my chance of admission.
Keep refreshing the website every day , u may get lucky someone drops their interview date

I dont think they interview in Nov, I checked many times, available date only in Oct or Dec

Another AZCOM MSIV here. I think this goes without saying. Obviously it's a more difficult decision if you only have 1 acceptance. But for those who have 2 or more, I would also recommend considering other schools. You guys do realize you'll be paying $60,000 and more (it increased $3,000 every year for us) for honestly some of the laziest and poorest quality 3rd/4th year rotations in the country? Because of this, AZCOM highly encourages us to do audition rotations, for what we can only assume to be their making up for these sad rotations. And if you want a decent ward-based rotation, part of the process is APPLYING to them. Don't assume you can get good rotations by just asking. The unfortunate truth is none of us are glad we chose AZCOM. If you can find a 4th year AZCOM student right now who recommends it, I would honestly be shocked.

I guess it is hit and miss when it comes to 3rd/4th year rotations at AZCOM :scared:

I guess it is hit and miss when it comes to 3rd/4th year rotations at AZCOM :scared:
It's mighty fishy that gasd.o.c came in here complaining about the same things as jpgoodie, especially considering it was gasd.o.c's first post. What's even better is that jpgoodie is going for anesthesiology...see where this is going? Mighty fishy indeed. He/she is an ultra stressed 4th year, so I understand the excessive rage, especially early in 4th year. Now keep in mind I haven't talked to every last person who graduated from AZCOM, but the individuals that have complained about rotations were in the minority. And as takotsubo</3 already said, it's up to you to get what you want on a rotation, they don't spoon feed you like MS1 or MS2, you have to be more active.

Last edited:
It's mighty fishy that gasd.o.c came in here complaining about the same things as Plasticbag, especially considering it was gasd.o.c's first post. What's even better is that Plasticbag is going for anesthesiology...see where this is going? Mighty fishy indeed. He/she is an ultra stressed 4th year, so I understand the excessive rage, especially early in 4th year. Now keep in mind I haven't talked to every last person who graduated from AZCOM, but the individuals that have complained about rotations were in the minority. And as takotsubo</3 already said, it's up to you to get what you want on a rotation, they don't spoon feed you like MS1 or MS2, you have to be more active.

I think you confused me with someone else...

I received this as a PM, but I figured I would answer here. It might be beneficial to others....
1) You said you liked your rotation sites thus far. May I ask which track did you do during your third year? And are you able to comment on the SD track, or have peers that can provide me with some feedback?
My rotations were considered "west valley", although I rotated all over Phoenix, in Tucson and Prescott. (Tucson and Prescott by choice, the rotations in those cities are fantastic too!). I don't know much about the SD track or any of the California tracks.

2) If possible, can you elaborate on the process of applying for the electives/sub-I/audition rotations? How much work and financial expenses is required of the student? And is the AZCOM administration receptive to your requests?
Electives/Sub-I's/Audition rotations you apply for via VSAS during the end of your 3rd year, or you apply directly to the hospital. They are pretty easy to secure if you have all your ducks in a row when the application opens. I secured my top two sites. I was unable to get a couple electives, but when I called the programs it was due to them filling it internally with their own students. It's a good idea to apply for twice the amount of electives you want to do and then narrow your choices (if you get more than 1/month.) I am doing 3 'away' electives, my sub-I and two electives. This dramatically varies from specialty to specialty. It might be necessary to do more auditions due to the competitive nature of the specialty or if you are not a competitive applicant. You are required to pay for your aways, housing, meals, travel, and sometimes there is a fee for the elective. It can be expensive.

3) In addition to the 4-week vacation you can use towards your interview season, are there many "easy-going" electives where the preceptors are open to you taking time off to go interview? And are there audition and sub-I rotations where you can interview for the residency program at the end of your rotation?
Yes, most preceptors understand the situation and want you to take off for interviews. The school does not like you taking off more than 3 days? during a rotation. I felt strongly about finishing my audition rotations/Sub-I prior to interview season, so I would not be taking time off during those. I know some programs will interview you while you are there, but I can't comment from personal experience.

4) What do you think is the general attitude of most OMS4s and PGY1s regarding the strength and flexibility of rotations at AZCOM?
I think it really depends on 1.) the type of student you are and 2.) where you did your rotations. I have nothing but good things to say about the community preceptors and the wards rotations. Actually, the "worst" rotation I experienced was at a university program where I was a visiting student. Speaking of wards rotations, YES you have to sign up, YES you should sign up for as many wards as you want even if that means 'selling your soul to surgery for a month' (or Ob/gyn or peds or whatever). The wards rotations AZCOM has are solid.​

Reactions: 5 users
first time poster!

just interviewed here - did anyone else get an email about financial aid right after their interview?

first time poster!

just interviewed here - did anyone else get an email about financial aid right after their interview?
I did. Interviewed 10/16 and rec'd the financial aid email 10/17.

Anyone know about any movement off the alternate list? I want to send an email providing updates and asking about movement but how much is too much pestering? I hear we need to be communicative but not overwhelming. Anyone have advice on this? PM me if you have thoughts.

Accepted today. Interviewed 10/13. Once it starts snowing I might have to fly to sunny Phoenix for a "second look day." :)

I just checked and I have the accepted student checklist available in the portal, which from what they said seems to mean I'm accepted!! Interviewed 10/17 so that was a really quick turnaround! Hoping I didn't just hear that wrong haha

I now have required info in the accepted student checklist page and I interviewed this morning. Should I call to confirm? Surely that is too fast of a turn around?

I'm curious who you are...

I interviewed today as well. When I got home from the long drive I checked my portal and also had the accepted student checklist pop up. Did I really get accepted while driving home from the interview? That's an insanely quick turnaround!

I'm curious who you are...

I interviewed today as well. When I got home from the long drive I checked my portal and also had the accepted student checklist pop up. Did I really get accepted while driving home from the interview? That's an insanely quick turnaround!
My guess is you guys interviewed just before the committee meeting or something.