Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my acceptance call!!! I interviewed on Oct 15th

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys I am really starting to get worried. I was complete early September, and I have very good stats and ECs. I still haven't heard anything from the school. Does it mean I have been silently rejected?

Accepted via "accepted student checklist." I was waiting on an email and just checked on a whim! Already have an MD acceptance, but not a bad option for DO :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I also interviewed yesterday and had the accepted checklist. Got a call and email this morning so it's totally true!! Congrats!

Guys I am really starting to get worried. I was complete early September, and I have very good stats and ECs. I still haven't heard anything from the school. Does it mean I have been silently rejected?
What are your stats?

Forewarning: this is all speculation from another applicant.

It appears that many schools don't pursue/reject applicants that are way above average for their school. This happens because said applicants are more likely to get an acceptance elsewhere (somewhere better, closer to their statistical range) and would, in the end, be a waste of the school's resources. Statistically, DO schools have slightly lower MCAT/GPA ranges (again, speculation), so you may just be "too good" for the school to spend time/money on. I'm not trying to put down DO schools such as AZCOM or students applying to them.. I applied, too (and would be happy to go here).

It could also just depend on when you were complete.

Forewarning: this is all speculation from another applicant.

It appears that many schools don't pursue/reject applicants that are way above average for their school. This happens because said applicants are more likely to get an acceptance elsewhere (somewhere better, closer to their statistical range) and would, in the end, be a waste of the school's resources. Statistically, DO schools have slightly lower MCAT/GPA ranges (again, speculation), so you may just be "too good" for the school to spend time/money on. I'm not trying to put down DO schools such as AZCOM or students applying to them.. I applied, too (and would be happy to go here).

It could also just depend on when you were complete.

Thanks for the info. But honestly, I don't think that my stats are "way above average" for AZCOM. My MCAT is probably higher than their average, but my cGPA is right in the middle, and my sGPA is probably LOWER than their average. So my stats should be both competitive and suitable for AZCOM.

Now if I had a 4.0 and 43 MCAT, then that would be different.

Thanks for the info. But honestly, I don't think that my stats are "way above average" for AZCOM. My MCAT is probably higher than their average, but my cGPA is right in the middle, and my sGPA is probably LOWER than their average. So my stats should be both competitive and suitable for AZCOM.

Now if I had a 4.0 and 43 MCAT, then that would be different.
I mean, like I said, it's all speculation.

Accepted today also! Interviewed 10/14!

ACCEPTED. Yah, I cannot believe it is this soon. I just interviewed here yesterday, and just drove back home last night.

Reactions: 3 users
Also received the official acceptance earlier today!! So excited :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a time limit to say yes to the acceptance offer other than the matriculation deposit? I know some schools want to hear back within 2 weeks and am not sure if I need to notify MWU in any way before the deposit due date in December.

+1 also wondering, i didn't see anything in the acceptance email

From the email: "If you do not submit your deposit and sign the agreement by the end of business, December 15, 2014, we will assume that you are not accepting our offer. Should you decide not to accept our offer, a written response would be very much appreciated by that time."

So, you have until Dec 15.

Congrats on all of the acceptances! I'm also a current student here (just going into my first finals week, yay exciting), and regarding the rotation years, I have plenty of first-hand and second-hand accounts of third and fourth years that are quite happy with their rotations. I find it strange when some random student jumps on here just to throw out some negative info about the school. Strange because it does NOT coincide with what I see and hear from others in the same boat.

I remember scrutinizing these threads last year at multiple schools and running across 1-3 of these naysayers in every single school thread I looked at. Some people put out valid points at times, but if there is a trend of nothing but negative bashing from one or two posters, it's a good idea to just ignore it. From what I have seen, the number of students that are more than happy with their rotations here, far exceeds the occasional disgruntled student who wants to sling some stuff around on SDN.

Every school will have its ups and downs but from what I have seen here so far, I'm very glad I chose to come here. I think it is a great school with great opportunities, so good luck to all of you still waiting for an interview or acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
When will we be asked to submit our rotation site preferences?
Last year we submitted preference via email sometime in early November if I remember correctly. They do a group email to everyone accepted thus far, and give you instructions and an info packet on the regions. You fill out a form with your ranked preferences. It's nice to know where you will be for the next 4 years instead of having to wait until your second year.

Last year we submitted preference via email sometime in early November if I remember correctly. They do a group email to everyone accepted thus far, and give you instructions and an info packet on the regions. You fill out a form with your ranked preferences. It's nice to know where you will be for the next 4 years instead of having to wait until your second year.
Thank you!

Last edited:
No, they have that hard date of December 15th or whatever it is they have told you this year. They will still assign you rotations even if you haven't payed the deposit yet, unless they have changed policy this year.

I just submitted my secondary application and letters of recommendation on 10/2.

Is this too late in the cycle for a good shot at AZCOM interview/acceptance?

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me, if any, the pros/cons of East vs. West Valley rotations?
Where is this school defining East and West Valley? How far South do we have to go? Mesa is a pretty far drive.
What about Tucson?
Would Tucson be a problem since it's a smaller community and UA is also down there?

Like I said previously, I rotated in the West Valley. West and East Valley are essentially the same. The school tries pretty hard to keep you rotations in the region, if you have moved, say to Mesa or stayed in Glendale. Most of the rotation in the EV are in Scottsdale, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler and Glibert. Most of the rotations in the west valley are in Glendale, Sun City, Surprise, Goodyear, Avondale. I had 2-3 rotations in Surprise, which is 30+ mins from my house and I had multiple rotations that were in Downtown Phoenix. If you pick a Phoenix rotation, plan on having a longer commute some months vs others. (Once I had to go from North Phoenix to Gilbert, but the good thing is there was no traffic because it was 5/6AM)

Tucson's rotations are pretty solid. I have rotated down there twice and most of the Tucson region students enjoy it. I wouldn't say you have a leg up at any of the UA residencies because you rotated down there, but all (most) of the rotations are very good. The smaller community is nice (= less traffic/commute), and you really don't interact too much with UA Tucson students.

Canceling my scheduled interview for AZCOM today. It looks like a great school but in researching more it's just not the school for me.

Hope my spot goes to someone on here anxiously awaiting an interview!!

Last edited:
Anyone familiar with this school have any idea what is going on with my app? I was told they don't do silent rejections and they notify if you've been put on hold. Nonetheless, I haven't heard a peep since early August. Possible they still haven't gotten to me yet?

30 MCAT 3.5 gpa...

Anyone familiar with this school have any idea what is going on with my app? I was told they don't do silent rejections and they notify if you've been put on hold. Nonetheless, I haven't heard a peep since early August. Possible they still haven't gotten to me yet?

30 MCAT 3.5 gpa...
I have a friend in the same boat. Hard to say but I wouldn't read too much into it...

I just submitted my secondary application and letters of recommendation on 10/2.

Is this too late in the cycle for a good shot at AZCOM interview/acceptance?
My roommate applied and got in around May. So if I had to say you have something, I'd say you have a shot.

Received my "on hold for an interview" letter in the mail today. I am sure it is because of my pedestrian MCAT score, because my GPA is pristine with only a couple B's on 5 years of transcripts. At what point does the school begin to consider interviewing applicants from the "on hold" list?

Been completed since about 9/22. OOS 3.9cGPA and sGPA with a 27 MCAT.. Most of my shadowing hours are M.D. and my letters of rec's were from M.D.'s. I don't have a lot of D.O.'s in my area so I didn't shadow as many. Don't know if that is what's setting me back or not... any thoughts?

Been completed since about 9/22. OOS 3.9cGPA and sGPA with a 27 MCAT.. Most of my shadowing hours are M.D. and my letters of rec's were from M.D.'s. I don't have a lot of D.O.'s in my area so I didn't shadow as many. Don't know if that is what's setting me back or not... any thoughts?
I got in with zero shadowing and no DO letter. Lacking a DO letter won't hurt you.

Received my "on hold for an interview" letter in the mail today. I am sure it is because of my pedestrian MCAT score, because my GPA is pristine with only a couple B's on 5 years of transcripts. At what point does the school begin to consider interviewing applicants from the "on hold" list?
I called today and they said that they supposedly only interview those with a 28 MCAT and below in the Spring...

I called today and they said that they supposedly only interview those with a 28 MCAT and below in the Spring...
That's not what I experienced.

Last edited:
That's not what I experienced. I have under a 28 and got an interview. It was great. I am waitlisted, so maybe I slipped through, but hey. Who knows...I'd love to go here so I am glad I got the chance.

Ah, that's good to hear that you slipped through :)

Ah, that's good to hear that you slipped through :)

i see what you did there. Have a theory going, and have full faith in it, even when others have expressed doubts. I personally hope its true. I got a 28 on the MCAT and just got my hold letter yesterday.

So where did you hear about this?

i see what you did there. Have a theory going, and have full faith in it, even when others have expressed doubts. I personally hope its true. I got a 28 on the MCAT and just got my hold letter yesterday.

So where did you hear about this?
Ohhh. Right. I misunderstood France07's post.

Could someone please tell me how many acceptances and IIs AZCOM gives out in a cycle? Is it true that AZCOM will give out a lot of II in January to applicants who are currently on hold due to low MCAT? @Shov

Could someone please tell me how many acceptances and IIs AZCOM gives out in a cycle? Is it true that AZCOM will give out a lot of II in January to applicants who are currently on hold due to low MCAT? @Shov
I have no idea how many IIs are handed out precisely, there have been whispers of around 900, but that's hearsay. With regards to how many AZCOM accepts, I believe they accept around 400+. The whole low MCAT / hold ordeal I can't say for sure; probably depends on how many have put down their deposits by the december deadline.

I have no idea how many IIs are handed out precisely, there have been whispers of around 900, but that's hearsay. With regards to how many AZCOM accepts, I believe they accept around 400+. The whole low MCAT / hold ordeal I can't say for sure; probably depends on how many have put down their deposits by the december deadline.

Thank you!

Hi all,
I just received a letter that said I was still in the running but not being interviewed yet - has anyone else received such a letter and is it a kiss off or do I still have a good shot? Thanks all.

Hi all,
I just received a letter that said I was still in the running but not being interviewed yet - has anyone else received such a letter and is it a kiss off or do I still have a good shot? Thanks all.
Given that many people's acceptance offers had the stipulation of paying a $1000 deposit by December 15th, I think right around then they will likely have a bunch more spots open.. and then inevitably interview slots

Given that many people's acceptance offers had the stipulation of paying a $1000 deposit by December 15th, I think right around then they will likely have a bunch more spots open.. and then inevitably interview slots
Could be, the opposite might also be true. It all depends on how much success applicants are having elsewhere...$1,000 is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Could be, the opposite might also be true. It all depends on how much success applicants are having elsewhere...$1,000 is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.
I like to stay positive ;)

Do I even have a sliver of a chance if I apply this late in the game? MCAT 28, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, decent ECs, but only a few hours shadowing a DO Physician?

Do I even have a sliver of a chance if I apply this late in the game? MCAT 28, cGPA 3.7, sGPA 3.5, decent ECs, but only a few hours shadowing a DO Physician?
I'd say you have a shot!

Anyone not from the west coast or mid west deciding to come here?

Can anyone comment on their overall experience on interview day?

Edit: also, suggestions for hotels?

Can anyone comment on their overall experience on interview day?

Edit: also, suggestions for hotels?
I would say it was the best interview experience I had in two years of this process, but I'm biased ;) It really was low-pressure.

For those who were accepted, have you received any communication from AZCOM about rotation site sign-up/ranking? Thanks.

When were you complete? Thanks