Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So i received my acceptance email on 9/4, but still haven't gotten a call from the admissions office like they said they would. Anyone else in the same boat?
Same here! I called the office for a different reason and they said the dean is on holiday so the "official" calls and letters will be sent out after that. But people are still getting acceptance emails which is weird because I thought Deans were supposed to make the final decisions

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing tomorrow. How congested do I-17 and Hwy 101 get in the morning? Don't want to get stuck in traffic.

So i received my acceptance email on 9/4, but still haven't gotten a call from the admissions office like they said they would. Anyone else in the same boat?

Yes, do you need a call? :)

You can always call to ask any questions you may have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed yesterday, very impressed with everything I saw.

I've seen conflicting statements but my panel (and what I heard of the others) was excellent. It seems like they made an effort to make me feel at ease, and lobbed a few easy (or common) questions (why medicine/osteopathy/azcom) before getting into some more challenging ones, and mixed in a few fun/interesting ones as well.

It really seemed that they genuinely wanted me to just be myself and talk with them for 20-25 minutes and once I caught on to that it felt natural. The facilities look nice, they seem like they're on top of everything, and they know how to make a good appearance.

I came from a smaller public school where faculty were readily available quite often, so AZCOM's open door policy and the way students also spoke about seeking guidance from faculty also really impressed me.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have good news!

Interviewed yesterday, very impressed with everything I saw.

I've seen conflicting statements but my panel (and what I heard of the others) was excellent. It seems like they made an effort to make me feel at ease, and lobbed a few easy (or common) questions (why medicine/osteopathy/azcom) before getting into some more challenging ones, and mixed in a few fun/interesting ones as well.

It really seemed that they genuinely wanted me to just be myself and talk with them for 20-25 minutes and once I caught on to that it felt natural. The facilities look nice, they seem like they're on top of everything, and they know how to make a good appearance.

I came from a smaller public school where faculty were readily available quite often, so AZCOM's open door policy and the way students also spoke about seeking guidance from faculty also really impressed me.

Hopefully in a few weeks I'll have good news!
I second that

Interviewed on 9/17 and obsessively checking my application checklist

Reactions: 1 users
anyone interview 9/11 hear back or not hear back yet? I just contacted them this morning, bracing myself for an admissions decision and then they said the admissions committee hadn't met yet. kind of strange though since people who interviewed around the same time I did have already heard back.. hmm.

anyone interview 9/11 hear back or not hear back yet? I just contacted them this morning, bracing myself for an admissions decision and then they said the admissions committee hadn't met yet. kind of strange though since people who interviewed around the same time I did have already heard back.. hmm.

Yeah I interviewed on 9/11 and haven't heard back. I contacted the admissions office and they said the same thing to me. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Easier said than done, I know.

Yeah I interviewed on 9/11 and haven't heard back. I contacted the admissions office and they said the same thing to me. I wouldn't worry about it yet. Easier said than done, I know.

I interviewed on 9/11 and got an acceptance email and phone call on Monday. It might depend on who your admissions counselor is...I think we each got a different one. Stay positive--I'm sure good news will come your way soon!

MS1 here! Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them!

MS1 here! Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them!

How good is the school with financial aid and all that? My biggest concern with the school is the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
How good is the school with financial aid and all that? My biggest concern with the school is the price.
+1 the price is my ONLY hangup with this school. I want to do primary care, but having at least 350,000 in debt by graduation is a tough number to swallow. I mean, that's ~21000 a year in just interest. It's a serious concern.

As with most med schools, the majority of the financial aid is loans. That being said, pretty much everyone I have talked to was offered work study (max $3000/year) and if they werent offerred it and asked for it , it was given to them. Every little bit helps. I'm personally not taking advantage of that this quarter, but I will probably try to start working a bit, at least 3-4 hours/week next quarter.

I will also reiterate what other people have said. This school is very expensive, but in the end go where you will be happy for four years. Medical school is already really challenging, dont make it even more challening on yourself by going somewhere you will be miserable, just to save some money. We're all going to be in debt for so long, that whats taking on a bit more if it means enjoying your medical school experience.

Looks like AZCOM is pretty dang quick with replying after interviews. I interviewed 9/17. Anyone from that week get any notifications yet? Still pretty early I realize

Looks like AZCOM is pretty dang quick with replying after interviews. I interviewed 9/17. Anyone from that week get any notifications yet? Still pretty early I realize

Its about 2 weeks.

I interviewed 9/17 as well. Haven't heard anything yet.

To anyone who has been accepted, are all prereqs fulfilled on the required prerequisite section on the accepted student page? It says I'm missing 3 credits of English composition and was wondering if this appears for anyone else when they believe it shouldn't be.

To anyone who has been accepted, are all prereqs fulfilled on the required prerequisite section on the accepted student page? It says I'm missing 3 credits of English composition and was wondering if this appears for anyone else when they believe it shouldn't be.
mine says they are all fulfilled even though I have yet to finish a general chemistry lab haha
Call them and you would have to send a transcript to them anyway so it will likely be verified/corrected then, but call them to be sure!

Nope. Recheck your transcript and make sure that it was inputted and then contact the school. Mine is all complete (except for the bachelors degree, but I assumed this because they need transcripts from the school).

Does anyone who got a phone call (I didnt) know what needs to be submitted by 12/15/15? Is it just the matriculation agreement + payment? Or all missing things (official transcripts, etc)

Nope. Recheck your transcript and make sure that it was inputted and then contact the school. Mine is all complete (except for the bachelors degree, but I assumed this because they need transcripts from the school).

Does anyone who got a phone call (I didnt) know what needs to be submitted by 12/15/15? Is it just the matriculation agreement + payment? Or all missing things (official transcripts, etc)

I believe it's just the payment, matriculation agreement, and probably technical standards form. On the matriculation/payment tab it says that transcripts need to be submitted 14 days before matriculation, so those wouldn't be due for awhile. I also did not get an acceptance call, just an acceptance email.

I logged in and see the accepted checklist. Does that mean I was accepted??!!! Have not gotten any emails/phone calls

Reactions: 2 users
I logged in and see the accepted checklist. Does that mean I was accepted??!!! Have not gotten any emails/phone calls
Yes it does. Congrats!

I interviewed here last Friday and....I just got the accepted student checklist!!! Super quick turn around! Midwestern is awesome and I agree with the above statement about the interview. It was super relaxed and I really enjoyed the conversation I had with my interviewers. Midwestern is an awesome school and I was very impressed with the faculty.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to everyone who got acceptances! I interviewed on 9/16, but I got nothing on my portal... Hopefully I'll get the checklist too!

Congratulations to everyone who got acceptances! I interviewed on 9/16, but I got nothing on my portal... Hopefully I'll get the checklist too!
The 9/18 people must have got the fast counselor haha

I've been waitlisted for an interview for about a month now with no word back, do you guys think its worth giving the admissions office a call to inquire about my status and express my interest in the school? Or would this hurt my application?

I've been waitlisted for an interview for about a month now with no word back, do you guys think its worth giving the admissions office a call to inquire about my status and express my interest in the school? Or would this hurt my application?
Apparently they don't start looking at people who have been wait listed for an interview until next year.

Did anyone who got accepted send out a letter of intent?

Hi guys,

I interviewed 9/14. I keep seeing people saying that they received an "Accepted Checklist" on their portal, and that this is an acceptance. I see this as well, but when I click on it, it says "This checklist is available to accepted applicants". I don't see anything else, nor have I received an email or call. Is this an acceptance, or should I see a list as well? :unsure:

Awesome! I interviewed 9/17, just got the update on my accepted student checklist, but no official acceptance quite yet. AZCOM is lightning freaking fast!

Hi guys,

I interviewed 9/14. I keep seeing people saying that they received an "Accepted Checklist" on their portal, and that this is an acceptance. I see this as well, but when I click on it, it says "This checklist is available to accepted applicants". I don't see anything else, nor have I received an email or call. Is this an acceptance, or should I see a list as well? :unsure:
It has to actually appear when you click. From what I've gathered from earlier applicants who have posted, Just because it isn't there today does not necessarily mean you were rejected or wait listed at this point. There are apparently several admissions counselors who update the portal at different times.

You'll likely get a phone call and/or email on Monday. That's what happened to me. Congratulations!

If you click on "accepted student checklist" under the "post-accetped" tab it normally reads "this is only available to accepted students" or something like that. Then it changes (from what I understand) and shows a list of items such as the matriculation agreement and other items if you have been accepted.

...so when's the next batch of II's? Complete 7/22 LizzyM 65 OOS, nothing but crickets. :whistle:

Last edited:
I couldn't stand it any longer so I called the admissions office. They told me that my application was "still on hold". Is that the same as being on the waitlist?

Holy crap guys, I've been accepted!!!! I totally thought my interview sucked! First acceptance! Yay! Now I have an excuse to eat cake (which I've been looking for)!!!

Interviewed 9/21, OOS
Gpa ~3.7, took mcat 3 times 27-29
Strong EC's (which the interviewers found pleasure in grilling me on...)

Reactions: 9 users
I GOT THE CHECKLIST AS WELL! First Acceptance :soexcited:omg im so happy right now. I was in disbelief when I saw it but yayyyy. Thought I totally bombed the interview as well... wow God is Good

Reactions: 6 users
Congratz to the new acceptances out there!!