Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine was pretty relaxed. It was about a half hour long and the time flew by. Shared some laughs with all 3 panel interviewers. You will probably get asked an ethical question or two so be ready for that.
they said about 3 weeks because the adcom doesn't meet for awhile. No idea on acceptance rate, but it looks like people in this thread did well overall.
Interviewing here in November. How long is the interview? How much time should I plan for? Is it safe to book flight back late afternoon, around 3:00 p.m.? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

4:00, no problem. 3:00 might be cutting it close, but I think you could make it. I got done at 12:30-1:00 I think. You could skip lunch too if need be and then you would make it for sure

Interviewing here in November. How long is the interview? How much time should I plan for? Is it safe to book flight back late afternoon, around 3:00 p.m.? Thanks

One of the first things our admissions counselor asked on interview morning was if anyone had a flight before 3:30pm. We got done around 1:30, but I think a 3:00pm flight would be cutting it too close.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was complete around August and have heard nothing. No II, No Interview hold, No rejection. Seems like people who submitted after me are at least getting an Interview hold. Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited:
I was complete around 8/18 and have heard nothing. No II, No Interview hold, No rejection. Seems like people who submitted after me are at least getting an Interview hold. Anyone else in the same boat?

Same here except a couple days later.... wonder what's going on over there

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete around 8/18 and have heard nothing. No II, No Interview hold, No rejection. Seems like people who submitted after me are at least getting an Interview hold. Anyone else in the same boat?
Stats?

Mine was done at about 12:30, with lunch after that you could skip. It's about a half hour drive to the airport. If you have a rental, there's a 15ish minute bus ride to the terminal.

If your only option to get out that day is a 3 pm flight you'll probably be ok. If you could get a flight a few hours later, I recommend doing that

Interviewed in 10/9 and just found the accepted student checklist on my portal!!!!!!! Can't stop crying tears of joy, this is my first acceptance and I honestly was not sure what the result would be after my interview. Best day of my life.

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewed in 10/9 and just found the accepted student checklist on my portal!!!!!!! Can't stop crying tears of joy, this is my first acceptance and I honestly was not sure what the result would be after my interview. Best day of my life.
Congratulations!

Interviewed 10/9 as well and accepted today! Feels so good to have an acceptance in the bag!

Reactions: 1 users
Interview Invite! I am excited to learn more about this schools. Congrats to those accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
II this week, no dates available to me until 2016. Is that what everybody else is seeing?

Welp, guess I'm in the reject pile lol
Actually I am not so sure that is the case. I have a friend who was completed right away, early, and he just got an interview invite yesterday!

Interview on 11/9! Much excite, much wau.

I interviewed at Midwestern on the 12th and just got the accepted student checklist. First acceptance! Stoked!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Is this campus harder to get into than CCOM? How many of you have also applied to CCOM? Have you received II to both? acceptances to both? share your experiences please!

Did you get your invite this week? That date wasn't available to me... Curious if they are prioritizing interviews.

Oh I actually received it Sept 29th, I just didn't get around to posting heh.

Is this campus harder to get into than CCOM? How many of you have also applied to CCOM? Have you received II to both? acceptances to both? share your experiences please!
I interviewed at AZCOM in mid-September, but have had complete silence from CCOM. My friend with similar stats, (but who is from Chicago), got interviews at both around the same time.

I interviewed at AZCOM in mid-September, but have had complete silence from CCOM. My friend with similar stats, (but who is from Chicago), got interviews at both around the same time.
How did it go at AZCOM? how was the Interview like and did you hear back yet? how quick?

i think for both schools as long as you are close regionally and have >29 MCAT you have a good shot. AZCOM has 70% from california, arizona, and utah and CCOM has 70% from only illinois.

How did it go at AZCOM? how was the Interview like and did you hear back yet? how quick?
Accepted within a week! My interview was interesting....but obviously went well! lol

Hi all! If anybody needs a place to stay for interviews, I am a MS1 and I rent out my extra bedroom. It's a short drive from school (7min) and I'm happy to answer any questions you have the night before the interview. Send me an email at [email protected] if interested and I'll provide the details!

you guys, I feel like nobody on AZCOM SDN threads posts anything about being rejected. Like, you go on other thread and you see
REJECTED, REJECTED, WAITLIST, REJECTED, ACCEPTED,REJECTED, REJECTED, WAITLIST, REJECTED, ACCEPTED,REJECTED, REJECTED, WAITLIST, REJECTED, ACCEPTED, ACCEPTED, ACCEPTED, WAITLIST, REJECTED, ACCEPTED, ACCEPTED.

on AZCOM, all I see is ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED

I am talking post interview. Does AZCOM reject post interview? how about post secondary? If I get an interview, am I automatically safe as long as I am not a huge d-bag?

you guys, I feel like nobody on AZCOM SDN threads posts anything about being rejected. Like, you go on other thread and you see
REJECTED, REJECTED, WAITLIST, REJECTED, ACCEPTED,REJECTED, REJECTED, WAITLIST, REJECTED, ACCEPTED,REJECTED, REJECTED, WAITLIST, REJECTED, ACCEPTED, ACCEPTED, ACCEPTED, WAITLIST, REJECTED, ACCEPTED, ACCEPTED.

on AZCOM, all I see is ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED,ACCEPTED

I am talking post interview. Does AZCOM reject post interview? how about post secondary? If I get an interview, am I automatically safe as long as I am not a huge d-bag?
At my interview they said that they don't call or email people about rejections because it would take too much time. It sounds like to find out if you're rejected YOU have to call THEM.

In other news I just got the official acceptance call!

Reactions: 1 users

I can't take the time to back this up with any numbers, but when I was going through it seemed like AZCOM accepted the most interviewees of any school I looked at, especially for those who got interviews before December-ish. They likely accept so many of the people who interview because: 1. they have a massive class size (i want to say it was like 250+ my cycle) and 2. more than any other DO school i know of, they accept a lot of people with very high stats, who end up having their pick of several schools; many of these acceptees end up going to another school, opening up more room for AZCOM to accept another interviewee

I can't take the time to back this up with any numbers, but when I was going through it seemed like AZCOM accepted the most interviewees of any school I looked at, especially for those who got interviews before December-ish. They likely accept so many of the people who interview because: 1. they have a massive class size (i want to say it was like 250+ my cycle) and 2. more than any other DO school i know of, they accept a lot of people with very high stats, who end up having their pick of several schools; many of these acceptees end up going to another school, opening up more room for AZCOM to accept another interviewee
Whats the reason for that? Why do they accept so many interviewees?

Whats the reason for that? Why do they accept so many interviewees?

I think it's pretty much for the 2 reasons I said.

1. They have a huge class size (250+). That's about twice (or more) as many spots compared to a lot of other schools.
2. AZCOM has some of the best average matriculant stats for DO schools. Many of the people they initially accept have good enough stats that they also get into MD schools, and choose to go there or another DO school instead. AZCOM doesn't really seem to care about "yield protection", and, as someone who didn't get into a school my first cycle due to stupid yield protection, I applaud them for this.

I think it's pretty much for the 2 reasons I said.

1. They have a huge class size (250+). That's about twice (or more) as many spots compared to a lot of other schools.
2. AZCOM has some of the best average matriculant stats for DO schools. Many of the people they initially accept have good enough stats that they also get into MD schools, and choose to go there or another DO school instead. AZCOM doesn't really seem to care about "yield protection", and, as someone who didn't get into a school my first cycle due to stupid yield protection, I applaud them for this.
what is yield protection? and are you saying that they accept people right and left to make sure they have enough to fill their class? If i get an II, I promise that I will attend. This is my top choice for right now (tuition is a turn off though).

what is yield protection? and are you saying that they accept people right and left to make sure they have enough to fill their class? If i get an II, I promise that I will attend. This is my top choice for right now (tuition is a turn off though).

Yield protection is when schools don't accept a student who they think is more likely to go to another school. For instance, a school who has an average GPA/MCAT of something like 3.5/28 might reject an applicant with a 3.9/36 for no reason other than that they think he's likely to reject their acceptance and go to a school with higher average stats. You do not have to worry about AZCOM doing this to you.

Interviewed 10/7, accepted 10/12; cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.5 MCAT 516. School looks LEGIT. Can't wait to get started in August.

The interview wasn't that bad, considering the sleep-deprived coffee-induced state of mania in which I was forced to conduct it. The toughest part was the stoicism of the interviewers. I couldn't tell how I was doing at all, save for one round of laughs. I think my biggest asset for the interview was a knowledge of and experience with osteopathic principles, an osteopathic physician, and OMM. Do your homework peoples (e.g. shadow, read, watch YouTube videos). Feel free to message me if you want some tips.

Reactions: 2 users
Received II here this week! Interview scheduled for January 2016. (Stats: 3.6cGPA, 3.7sGPA, 513 MCAT)
Can anyone share their interview experience at this school and any tips preparing for it? Also, what is the post-interview acceptance rate of AZCOM?

Received II here this week! Interview scheduled for January 2016. (Stats: 3.6cGPA, 3.7sGPA, 513 MCAT)
Can anyone share their interview experience at this school and any tips preparing for it? Also, what is the post-interview acceptance rate of AZCOM?

people have said it is grilling and stoic, but other than that it should be like any other three panel med interview. know your primary, secondary, why DO, why med, broad overview of ethics, etc.

people have said it is grilling and stoic, but other than that it should be like any other three panel med interview. know your primary, secondary, why DO, why med, broad overview of ethics, etc.
Obviously it depends on the panel that you get, but my interview was far from being grilling and stoic. I really had a lot of fun talking to my interviewers and they were incredibly friendly and easy to talk too. They made a few jokes and were apparently fine with me making some of my own. Above all else you should just try to be relaxed and avoid sounding too rehearsed with your answers. Also, GOOD LUCK with your interview!

Obviously it depends on the panel that you get, but my interview was far from being grilling and stoic. I really had a lot of fun talking to my interviewers and they were incredibly friendly and easy to talk too. They made a few jokes and were apparently fine with me making some of my own. Above all else you should just try to be relaxed and avoid sounding too rehearsed with your answers. Also, GOOD LUCK with your interview!
I had a similar experience. I think the best thing you can do is just try not to try to be anything but yourself. You'll be fine

Congrats on your interview!! Obviously, it's different depending on your panel - I wasn't grilled on anything, but my panel was exceptionally stoic and asked me solely tough ethical/behavioral questions (no why medicine/DO/Midwestern). Practicing a few sample med school interview questions with a friend beforehand really helped.

Interviewed 10/7, accepted 10/12; cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.5 MCAT 516. School looks LEGIT. Can't wait to get started in August.

The interview wasn't that bad, considering the sleep-deprived coffee-induced state of mania in which I was forced to conduct it. The toughest part was the stoicism of the interviewers. I couldn't tell how I was doing at all, save for one round of laughs. I think my biggest asset for the interview was a knowledge of and experience with osteopathic principles, an osteopathic physician, and OMM. Do your homework peoples (e.g. shadow, read, watch YouTube videos). Feel free to message me if you want some tips.
Congrats! I agree with your advice and would add that interviewees should think about ethical situations too, because those are common questions here. Interviewers should be pretty stoic imo, its up to the applicant to show confidence in themselves. Mine were really friendly, except when asking me tough questions and listening to my response.

since secondaries for CCOM and AZCOM are identical.

did many of you guys/gals end up using the same response?

I answered the "Why do you believe *** would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?" differently and used the same answer for "Why should *** accept you into this year's class?"

Woke up to pre-interview hold this morning....

better than nothing, i suppose. i honestly don't see the point of pre-interview holds.

Well in past threads, they did interview those with holds after the new year. At least they don't leave you hanging for a year.

I'm sorry for being a med school noob, but what's a pre-interview hold?

Means they won't offer you an interview right away because you're not a strong enough candidate, but they will keep considering you for the future in case other candidates end up being weaker than you.