Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else interview on 11/8 hear back from admissions yet? Sorry for being neurotic.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else interview on 11/8 hear back from admissions yet? Sorry for being neurotic.
I interviewed on 11/10 and I didn't hear back yet. I'm obsessively refreshing the portal lol. I called them last week and they adcom isn't meeting last week so it should be by this week hopefully!
You interviewed on Sunday??

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Possibly a stupid question but I havent received an email or call yet, but if there is an "Accepted Student Checklist" on my portal does that mean I've been accepted??

Possibly a stupid question but I havent received an email or call yet, but if there is an "Accepted Student Checklist" on my portal does that mean I've been accepted??
Everyone has the accepted student checklist, but if there are new tasks and information that appears on the accepted student checklist that wasn't there before then that means you have indeed been accepted.

Everyone has the accepted student checklist, but if there are new tasks and information that appears on the accepted student checklist that wasn't there before then that means you have indeed been accepted.

So just to clarify before unnecessary excitement, if I am being asked for matriculation agreement, tech standards, transcripts, etc. I have been accepted? When I click them, it says "information is being processed, please check back tomorrow". Gahhhh I wish I wasnt so impatient but I wont get any sleep tonight lol

So just to clarify before unnecessary excitement, if I am being asked for matriculation agreement, tech standards, transcripts, etc. I have been accepted? When I click them, it says "information is being processed, please check back tomorrow". Gahhhh I wish I wasnt so impatient but I wont get any sleep tonight lol
Yeah that means you are accepted. I got my acceptance call the next day after that checklist showed up like that. Congratulations!!

ACCEPTEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! :D

Reactions: 2 users
When did you interview??? CONGRATSSSSS

Oops, forgot to include that. 11/13, saw all the stuff on accepted checklist today. Haven't received official email yet.

Good luck to all the others!

Members don't see this ad :)
Same as above! II !!!!!!!!!!

Interviewed Nov 12 with a nice bunch of fellow applicants. My portal now shows task under the Accepted Student Checklist. I can't believe I've finally passed this hurdle.

did anyone who interviewed on 11/10 hear back yet?

did anyone who interviewed on 11/10 hear back yet?
I interviewed on 11/10 as well and didn't hear back yet! Called admissions and they are meeting this afternoon they said but it might not be our batch though. Let's hope for the best!!

I interviewed on 11/10 as well and didn't hear back yet! Called admissions and they are meeting this afternoon they said but it might not be our batch though. Let's hope for the best!!
I interviewed 11/12 and haven't heard back yet either. I'm nervous because I see some have interviewed 11/12 and 11/13 who have already been accepted. Eeeks. Best of luck to us all.

I interviewed 11/12 and haven't heard back yet either. I'm nervous because I see some have interviewed 11/12 and 11/13 who have already been accepted. Eeeks. Best of luck to us all.
It feels good though to know that there are people on the same boat. It is just probably different counsellors! Hopefully we hear back tonight or tomorrow!!

if my portal has
Post Accepted:
Then under that it has Marticulation/Payment
Accepted Student Checklist
then under under marticulation agreement it has "We are unable to find your information". Nothing else. Does that i got accepted?

if my portal has
Post Accepted:
Then under that it has Marticulation/Payment
Accepted Student Checklist
then under under marticulation agreement it has "We are unable to find your information". Nothing else. Does that i got accepted?
The checklist needs to change to other stuff instead of "This list is only for accepted students"

:soexcited:I got the accepted checklist!!!!! Interviewed 11/10, so excited about my first acceptance. Good luck everyone!

I interviewed in the same week as all of you guys and haven't gotten the checklist. Now I'm getting a bit nervous even though the interview went great (I think?) haha well congratulations to you all!

interviewed on 11/10 and got accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Received Accepted Checklist November 17th!

I interviewed on November 16th (Monday). It was an INCREDIBLY fast turnaround. I guess I must have interviewed at the perfect time for the committee meeting. Honestly, I thought that I bombed the interview. In fact, I was almost sure that I was going to get rejected because of it.

Im so grateful for this opportunity. This is sincerely the happiest day of my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed on 11/9 (sorry for the previous post) and was accepted 11/17 through the portal while I was slummin' it at a Vegas starbucks after a tiring TUNCOM interview in the howling NV winds. Next stop: Bodies - The Exibition! Thank you SDN!!! Thank you neuroticism!! IM GONNA BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to you guys, so so exciting. I'll be here refreshing my portal hoping for good news!

I probably met you during the interview day!

Got the acceptance e-mail right now! I was getting worried for a minute lol

does anyone know if there are any perks to sending a deposit + matric agreement earlier than dec 15? when are you supposed to choose rotation sites for this school?

does anyone know if there are any perks to sending a deposit + matric agreement earlier than dec 15? when are you supposed to choose rotation sites for this school?

You don't choose rotation sites til the 2nd year I think? There's no benefit sending the deposit earlier than required.

You don't choose rotation sites til the 2nd year I think? There's no benefit sending the deposit earlier than required.

If I remember correctly, the dean said that you choose when you matriculate. My cousin is a 2nd year who was accepted later in the cycle, and he said something like he had the last pick of sites because most of them were taken by then.

If I remember correctly, the dean said that you choose when you matriculate. My cousin is a 2nd year who was accepted later in the cycle, and he said something like he had the last pick of sites because most of them were taken by then.

so, when do we choose? after deposit?

also, does anyone know which sites are good? i'm hoping for local sites because i'll probably be too lazy to move too far away.

so, when do we choose? after deposit?

also, does anyone know which sites are good? i'm hoping for local sites because i'll probably be too lazy to move too far away.
They will be sending out an email any day to let us pick. If you don't want to move, the west valley is the area closest to the school.

Received Accepted Checklist November 17th!

I interviewed on November 16th (Monday). It was an INCREDIBLY fast turnaround. I guess I must have interviewed at the perfect time for the committee meeting. Honestly, I thought that I bombed the interview. In fact, I was almost sure that I was going to get rejected because of it.

Im so grateful for this opportunity. This is sincerely the happiest day of my life.

Congratulations!!! I interviewed on November 16th as well and got the acceptance email this morning! :D
I heard we need to pick clinical rotation sites when we matriculate. I'm not familiar with the area at all. Is there a good major teaching hospital where you can do all your rotations at? Saves the hassle of switching locations every month.

Last edited:
Yeah, it definitely says in our interview handouts "Students are assigned to a rotation site for their third-year clinical clerkship rotations." Under pre-matriculation

Congrats on getting accepted! I got my email to pick a rotation site last year at the end of November/beginning of December, so anytime now for you guys! When you get it, send it back ASAP! The sites are first come first served. I dont think they should fill up in this first round, but you never know, especially with the more competitive ones, like Chicago. I cant remember the details on all the sites, but if you want all ward based rotations, go to Chicago. All your rotations will be in one hospital in Chicago(except rural, but everyone has to travel for that one). As far as I know all the other rotations are a mix of ward and preceptor (not 100% sure though, I haven't looked into it again since I picked mine a year ago). They will send out preceptor reviews of students and student reviews of preceptors and well as basic info about the sites when they email you to pick your sites. Let me know if you have any questions!

Congrats on getting accepted! I got my email to pick a rotation site last year at the end of November/beginning of December, so anytime now for you guys! When you get it, send it back ASAP! The sites are first come first served. I dont think they should fill up in this first round, but you never know, especially with the more competitive ones, like Chicago. I cant remember the details on all the sites, but if you want all ward based rotations, go to Chicago. All your rotations will be in one hospital in Chicago(except rural, but everyone has to travel for that one). As far as I know all the other rotations are a mix of ward and preceptor (not 100% sure though, I haven't looked into it again since I picked mine a year ago). They will send out preceptor reviews of students and student reviews of preceptors and well as basic info about the sites when they email you to pick your sites. Let me know if you have any questions!

we only get to choose once we pay the deposit and sign matri agreement, right? also, when you say all the rotations at chicago are at one hospital, did you just mean core or really everything besides electives/auditions?

do you have a current list of rotations sites?

we only get to choose once we pay the deposit and sign matri agreement, right? also, when you say all the rotations at chicago are at one hospital, did you just mean core or really everything besides electives/auditions?

do you have a current list of rotations sites?

No, you can choose before you pay your deposit. I'm pretty sure the first goes out to everyone accepted. Every rotation, except auditions, rural and obviously if you choose to do an away rotation are at the same hospital if you go to Chicago. It is a pretty large hospital. I dont, but the ones I can think of are East Valley, West Valley, Tuscon, 2 different LA ones, Modesto, there is another CA ones that I cant remember exactly where, Chicago and Kankakee, IL (where the people in Chicago go to do their rural rotation). Over half is class stays in East or west Valley.

It would be awesome if a current student here can help answer some of my Qs!:
1. What are the best and worst parts of AZCOM for you?
2. How do you find your curriculum?
3. How much time do you get for board prep (COMLEX/USMLE Step 1) between 2nd and 3rd year?
4. Do you have any mentorship/tutoring/big sibling programs (upper years helping first years)?
5. Does AZCOM offer international opportunities for electives or volunteering?
6. If you could go back in time, would you choose AZCOM again? :)
1. Best-reputation of school. Worst-cost.
2. Straight forward. It's clear they want us to perform well on the boards.
3. That's changing, check back in spring...
4. My Big Sib and I ended up becoming good friends.
5. Yes, several, with access to many others if you want to seek them out.
6. Absolutely.

Does anyone know if AZCOM sends additional information through the mail after acceptance?

Does anyone know if AZCOM sends additional information through the mail after acceptance?
They do send an acceptance letter but it mostly says the same stuff that you can find on the MWU portal.

I just got placed on the interview waitlist. I'm not too familiar with this school, but does anyone know what the chances are for getting an interview from the waitlist? Do they draw heavily from the waitlist?

I just got placed on the interview waitlist. I'm not too familiar with this school, but does anyone know what the chances are for getting an interview from the waitlist? Do they draw heavily from the waitlist?
I am on the same boat as you at this point. I was placed on the waitlist two weeks ago. According to this thread....if you go through it, you will see that most people who have discussed waitlisting said that these waitlisted applications probably won't be reviewed until December/January with a possibility of being interviewed in April/May...so...yeah....maybe we need to wait until January before completely feeling surrendered for this particular school.

Does anyone in AZCOM 20' know when there will be a facebook page up? I only see the 2019 one so far.