Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone gets moved off the II wait-list please post about it!
Very curious on how exactly this list works

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If anyone gets moved off the II wait-list please post about it!
Very curious on how exactly this list works
Same for the alternate list post interview! I wonder how many people are on this list and how it works!?

Many of the early-ish accepted people will be withdrawing prior to paying the deposit on 12/15. I would expect massive movement at that time, including the interview waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many of the early-ish accepted people will be withdrawing prior to paying the deposit on 12/15. I would expect massive movement at that time, including the interview waitlist.
Are you talking about the alternate list?

Does anyone know how the alternate list works other than they pull you off of it in May?

Waitlists probably won't move until March, April next year
I think you guys are talking about 2 different types of wait lists. II waitlist according to past years starts to move around January.

I think you guys are talking about 2 different types of wait lists. II waitlist according to past years starts to move around January.

Yeah I realized it too after posting. But hey what's the difference between January and April next year? Now's just November so just chill.

Hey everyone, current student here. For those of you guys applying and settling in on your decisions, I would really weigh your options. I'm a student here and I'm not alone in saying we're pretty pissed about how the administration handles student concerns. Just thought I'd let you guys know. I'm a little leery of giving too much info, so PM me if you're curious about what's going on here.

Can any AZCOM students comment on whether it is easier to get California residencies if you do your rotations in California? This is my only acceptance so far and I would want to ultimately practice in California. However, I know California is not a DO friendly state so either way, I know it will be hard.

Can any AZCOM students comment on whether it is easier to get California residencies if you do your rotations in California? This is my only acceptance so far and I would want to ultimately practice in California. However, I know California is not a DO friendly state so either way, I know it will be hard.
Taking the USMLE should help with that though. It gives the opportunity for us to get into MD residencies if we do well..........

Taking the USMLE should help with that though. It gives the opportunity for us to get into MD residencies if we do well..........

Yes, this I know, but it doesn't change the fact that allopathic residencies are biased against DO students and competitive fellowships prefer MDs. Especially in an ultra competitive state like California.

However, I was more curious about state differences rather than the DO/MD differences. If I do my rotations in Arizona, is it much harder to get a California residency than if I did them in California?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this I know, but it doesn't change the fact that allopathic residencies are biased against DO students and competitive fellowships prefer MDs. Especially in an ultra competitive state like California.

However, I was more curious about state differences rather than the DO/MD differences. If I do my rotations in Arizona, is it much harder to get a California residency than if I did them in California?

it's getting very hard to say now that class of 2020 is right after complete AOA merger into the ACGME. i think for CA residencies it will be similar to NV, but maybe not for specialty surg or competitive fellowships. even then, fellowships are going to be changing in bias post merger.

Getting residencies in CA isn't that bad, you'll find the issue is more if you'll even want one. Half of our class matches MD every year, so we're not really limited with DO vs MD like you might think. If you're intelligent enough to do well in school and rock the boards, you won't have trouble finding a good residency spot in the specialty you wish no matter your DO/MD title.

I just got an email asking me to rank my preferences for rotation sites.

Reactions: 1 users
i chose west valley because i'll probably be too lazy to move anywhere and AZCOM probably has better control over their sites there.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any info on which region to pick for rotations?
I would just pick where you want to live for 2 years. I don't really know of any advantages of one over another. I grew up in the east valley so that's where I picked :)

san diego and los angeles are expensive to live in.

i chose west valley because i'll probably be too lazy to move anywhere and AZCOM probably has better control over their sites there.

Control over the sites isn't an issue. The issue is commuting, and students that have to return from Scottsdale/San Diego/Chicago for OSCEs and certain exams. Sucks dick to have to get a flight and travel plans for a one-hour standardized patient exam.

Control over the sites isn't an issue. The issue is commuting, and students that have to return from Scottsdale/San Diego/Chicago for OSCEs and certain exams. Sucks dick to have to get a flight and travel plans for a one-hour standardized patient exam.
Hey man... There are a lot of us here that are excited to go to this school. I'm sorry your not happy with your choice, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate toning down the negativity. :)

Is there a good resource for finding out which of these rotation sites students feel are the strongest? I have location preference but would not want to miss out on an opportunity to rotate at some great hospitals.

I was wondering the same thing! Although I have no clue where I want to go. More info would be much appreciated! :)

Is it a bad sign if you don't get a II within a week or two of turning in your secondary? A couple months ago, it seemed like the II turnaround time was between 7-10 days for those with competitive stats (3.5+ GPA, 30 MCAT)

Is it a bad sign if you don't get a II within a week or two of turning in your secondary? A couple months ago, it seemed like the II turnaround time was between 7-10 days for those with competitive stats (3.5+ GPA, 30 MCAT)
Not likely. It seems that they are quite busy at the moment with the holidays rolling around and them having to deal with waitlist, interview hold, new applicants, new matriculants all at the same time.

I'm in the same boat (secondary on 11/12). Radio silence from their end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-II waitlist. 3.5,26. Submitted secondary last week. First ever response since secondaries so this actually made me happy lol.

Hey AZCOM thread-

First time posting on this thread (I think); anyway, just wanted to announce that I just got an II here!!! That was nice to wake up to after getting a few pre-II rejections lately!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Received an II last night! :soexcited:Interviewing on Wed, Jan 27 - anybody else joining me that day?? I'd love to possibly have dinner the night before. I'm an OOS from CA :)

Edit: secondary completed Nov. 12 and received the II Dec. 3

Wow, I got to scheduling just now and could only get Feb. 26th. As people have to pay by the deadline (and don't), will there be possibility of earlier interview spots opening? Do you have to check the site constantly or do they notify you if spots open up?

I would keep checking. My year, new spots would open every couple of days and they dont let you know when new spots open. This time of year there is a lot of flux with interviews while people decide on whether or not to interview with the deposit deadline coming up.

So I got a email this morning about my application being " on hold pending possible future interview invitation". How often do people get called after this? Should I just give up hope for this school? I was thinking of sending a letter maybe in January that emphasizes why I would like to attend AZCOM. Any thoughts on my situation?

So I got a email this morning about my application being " on hold pending possible future interview invitation". How often do people get called after this? Should I just give up hope for this school? I was thinking of sending a letter maybe in January that emphasizes why I would like to attend AZCOM. Any thoughts on my situation?
From what I've read on here, the interviewees accepted have a chance to put in their deposit sometime in December. Because alot of the accepted candidates also get into other schools, a bunch of slots are going to free up when they don't put down their deposits. Most adcoms apparently start pursuing their waitlisted or pending candidates after this period...

So, no. I wouldn't give up hope :) And yeah, you should probably send one of those letters soon. This month or by latest, next month.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Does anyone have any input on if I have any chance getting off the hold list? I have a 3.59cgpa, 3.35sgpa, and 504 mcat (27.5 on old scale)

Does anyone have any input on if I have any chance getting off the hold list? I have a 3.59cgpa, 3.35sgpa, and 504 mcat (27.5 on old scale)

From what I've read they focus on MCAT>30 for this early in the cycle. I wouldn't give up hope yet--your cGPA is higher than the average from last year. It looks like it's the MCAT holding you back at the moment.

Just withdrew my acceptance here to hopefully clear up a spot for someone waiting. I suspect that many people with withdraw in the next week as $1,000 is due. This should allow for many people on the pre-II hold list to receive interviews after the holiday season.

Best of luck!

If anyone from c/o 2020 wants to talk about sharing an apartment near campus, please hit me up.

I would keep checking. My year, new spots would open every couple of days and they dont let you know when new spots open. This time of year there is a lot of flux with interviews while people decide on whether or not to interview with the deposit deadline coming up.
Thanks for the heads up! Like @songl4a mentioned, Feb. 26 was the earliest date available for me as well- I'll check the portal periodically to try and catch an earlier interview date.

Hey man... There are a lot of us here that are excited to go to this school. I'm sorry your not happy with your choice, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate toning down the negativity. :)

I'm sorry if that sounded negative, I'm just letting future applicants know what I know. I get that you're excited (and should be); and I'm still very excited to be a doctor. My point is that there are a lot of ways that this school can and should improve, and their unwillingness to do so warrants a little bit of concern for the students dumping 400K plus into their loan debt.

How about you? Don't you think for 100k per year cost of attendance they should take your opinion seriously?

Pre-II waitlist. Secondary submitted 2 weeks ago. This was the first school that I've heard back from that hasn't rejected me surprisingly. Rejected from KCOM, haven't heard from anywhere else, and my MCAT and GPA are both a bit below the average. EC's are great, with plenty clinical experience (EMT for over a year, EMT instructor for course, clinical research with conference presentation + poster award, started Pre-SOMA chapter at my school and served on board, MD/DO shadowing, online tutor). Is this just a nicer way to reject people, or do applicants have a decent shot of making out of this pre-II waitlist? Would love to hear from someone who was in a similar situation before. It's gotten to that time of the cycle where I start tweaking. :p Thanks!

Pre-II waitlist. Secondary submitted 2 weeks ago. This was the first school that I've heard back from that hasn't rejected me surprisingly. Rejected from KCOM, haven't heard from anywhere else, and my MCAT and GPA are both a bit below the average. EC's are great, with plenty clinical experience (EMT for over a year, EMT instructor for course, clinical research with conference presentation + poster award, started Pre-SOMA chapter at my school and served on board, MD/DO shadowing, online tutor). Is this just a nicer way to reject people, or do applicants have a decent shot of making out of this pre-II waitlist? Would love to hear from someone who was in a similar situation before. It's gotten to that time of the cycle where I start tweaking. :p Thanks!
Im in the same position as you. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I would really love to attend this school but I'm so worried that I won't get an interview at all :(

Im in the same position as you. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I would really love to attend this school but I'm so worried that I won't get an interview at all :(

3.25/504 :/

I'm sorry if that sounded negative, I'm just letting future applicants know what I know. I get that you're excited (and should be); and I'm still very excited to be a doctor. My point is that there are a lot of ways that this school can and should improve, and their unwillingness to do so warrants a little bit of concern for the students dumping 400K plus into their loan debt.

How about you? Don't you think for 100k per year cost of attendance they should take your opinion seriously?

I'm sorry but where are you getting 100k. My cost of living in California is only 18k and it definitely costs less on Arizona

I'm sorry but where are you getting 100k. My cost of living in California is only 18k and it definitely costs less on Arizona
$60k tuition and they calculate around $40k for living expenses etc. ... But this is what I just found:
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1449518187.167535.jpg

Last edited:
I know.... That's why I said "but" and attached the pic

Oh I thought you were referring to the student who gave the 100k as "they"

I'm thinking the cost of attendance is going to be more around 80k a year

Oh I thought you were referring to the student who gave the 100k as "they"

I'm thinking the cost of attendance is going to be more around 80k a year

The COA is closer to 80K a year. Obviously it depends on if you have a family or if you want to rent/buy a really nice apt. They offer a thrify budget option which is closer to 80k and perfect if you dont have kids and spend <750/month on housing. Otherwise they let you borrow upto a bit over 90k which is better for families or if you like to spend a bit more money.

I'm taking out a bit less than 80k and I still have enough where I dont feel like I'm missing out on anything. Dont be distracted by the COA. It is the max a person is allowed to take out in loans. I dont know very many people who take out the max.