Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The COA is closer to 80K a year. Obviously it depends on if you have a family or if you want to rent/buy a really nice apt. They offer a thrify budget option which is closer to 80k and perfect if you dont have kids and spend <750/month on housing. Otherwise they let you borrow upto a bit over 90k which is better for families or if you like to spend a bit more money.

I'm taking out a bit less than 80k and I still have enough where I dont feel like I'm missing out on anything. Dont be distracted by the COA. It is the max a person is allowed to take out in loans. I dont know very many people who take out the max.

Thank you for that clarification. I do think there are some other issues that the other student has with the school that they aren't eluding to. I have friends that go to Azcom and they all love it so I just think there's something else going on.

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted my deposit last week. Excited to get started! Where are people thinking of living? I'm leaning toward on-campus...

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I was placed on pre-interview hold during August. I wanted to know if AZCOM is open to updates on things other than grades and if emails explaining your interest in attending?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard back yet about being assigned to a rotation site after submitting preferences?

Hey guys,
Is it worth submitting a secondary here with a cgpa >3.9 and 29 mcat?

Yes! Although it is a little late now, I had similar stats and was accepted one month ago :)

Just received my rotation site placement!!!!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get off of the pre-interview hold? I've been on that list since 11/7.

Withdrew acceptance from AZCOM. Hopefully waitlist moves for those waiting!

12/15 is deadline when early admitted students have to submit a deposit

That's what I was told at the interview and in emails, but the "official" acceptance letter I got said the deadline was January 15. Strange. So if people are still on the fence about putting down a deposit, they might want to call admissions and double check.

I emailed the admissions office a couple of weeks ago and they said my application was "under review". I was complete on 11/13 and have not been placed on the pre interview wait list. I don't want to be a neurotic pre-med but should I be worried about a silent rejection or is this somewhat good news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed the admissions office a couple of weeks ago and they said my application was "under review". I was complete on 11/13 and have not been placed on the pre interview wait list. I don't want to be a neurotic pre-med but should I be worried about a silent rejection or is this somewhat good news?

Didn't you already get a II?

No I jumped the gun and thought the secondary was the II. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lol I see. It's hard to say right now. Those that were complete mid-Nov have already heard back with most put on hold for having a good app but weak MCAT. Looks like your MCAT was strong enough to be evaluated now. Could go either way, so best of luck!

I'm sorry but where are you getting 100k. My cost of living in California is only 18k and it definitely costs less on Arizona

It's on the Financial statement they gave us. Cost of Attendance for the first year is like 96 or 97k. And there is at least a 6% tuition hike every year, to keep up with "expenses" lol.

I'm withdrawing my acceptance. Good luck to you all!

It's on the Financial statement they gave us. Cost of Attendance for the first year is like 96 or 97k. And there is at least a 6% tuition hike every year, to keep up with "expenses" lol.

what reasons do they have to justify the hikes?

Withdrawing my acceptance hopefully it goes to one of you!

Got II for January. Anyone know if classes are almost full or more like 50%? I'm just trying to get an idea if they are still interviewing for real spots or wait-list spots at this point? Thank you

Did anyone get off of the pre-interview hold? I've been on that list since 11/7.

I'm in the same boat, as well. I was placed on II waitlist 10/2. Hope we see some movement with the December 15 deposit deadline having passed.

II just now! SOOOO excited!

No e-mail just a portal update. I had to click on the "interview scheduling" tab to find it! The earliest date available was Feb 29th. Complete 10/15. Lizzy M 65. Non-trad. Very strong ECs and LORs.

No e-mail just a portal update. I had to click on the "interview scheduling" tab to find it! The earliest date available was Feb 29th. Complete 10/15. Lizzy M 65. Non-trad. Very strong ECs and LORs.
I love your avatar name. Do you happen to know what is II acceptance rate at AZCOM? I know some schools give IIs easily, some screen heavily.

Nice, congrats!
We you put on the pre-II wait-list before, or is this your first update from them?

Just got II! LizzyM 67, complete 12/10. This was my first update from them. Interview spots are already into early March. I'm sure people have asked this, but what is interview day like?

Just got II! LizzyM 67, complete 12/10. This was my first update from them. Interview spots are already into early March. I'm sure people have asked this, but what is interview day like?

You get there, they give you a short overview about the school, then they break the group up into 2 groups. One group will interview while another tours and vice-versa. Then you have lunch and leave. My interview day ended pretty early like 1 o'clock.

You get there, they give you a short overview about the school, then they break the group up into 2 groups. One group will interview while another tours and vice-versa. Then you have lunch and leave. My interview day ended pretty early like 1 o'clock.

Awesome, thanks!

Nice, congrats!
We you put on the pre-II wait-list before, or is this your first update from them?
I was never on the II waitlist. I did have an abstract accepted for presentation and I sent an update on 12/8, so that might have something to do with the II.

I love your avatar name. Do you happen to know what is II acceptance rate at AZCOM? I know some schools give IIs easily, some screen heavily.
Not sure, but let's hope the acceptance rate is in our favor. Good luck on your interview!

Does anyone from c/o 2020 want to learn and play raquetball or lift together? Hit me up!

Last edited:
So far this is my only acceptance. I was really impressed at the interview, and love the area. The tuition is freaking me out a bit though. If it ends up being my only acceptance, then so be it. But I was hoping someone could explain the numbers to me a bit better. I realize it's outdated, but the AACOM Information Book gives this for AZCOM financial information:

2014-15 tuition: 58k
Est. Room, Board, Books, & Living Costs: 25k/yr
Avg 2014 Graduate Indebtedness: 288k

Let's say you live like a pauper, which I'm not sure the average student does, and live on 15k/year. When added up, that's 292k for 4 years. With current tuition and 15k/year, I get 300k. On the AZCOM budget sheet given out by the school, their "thrifty" budget predicts a 363k total cost of attendance for 4 years.

All of this just seems outrageous to me. There does seem to be a discrepancy in the average "indebtedness" as reported by AACOM and the cost of attendance estimated by AZCOM. I'm not an expert on med school financing. Are there common alternative ways to finance some of that check? Or is there pretty much no way to avoid coming out with 300k minimum in debt?

Just withdrew my acceptance from here! Hope one of you guys get it!

Withdrew my acceptance from here! Hope one of you guys get it!

Withdrawing my acceptance here, and was already assigned Kankakee, IL for rotations, so hope both of those spots go to somebody here who wants them!

2/2 on interviews this year and waiting to hear back from 2 more after not receiving a single II last cycle, so never give up and keep working at this!

Cancelled a January 25th interview date and pulled out my application. Good luck everyone- hope it goes to someone who needs an earlier date!

Anyone know if AZCOM interviews people off of the waitlist for interviews? I have a 504 MCAT and I want to know my chances of getting a II here.

Anyone know if AZCOM interviews people off of the waitlist for interviews? I have a 504 MCAT and I want to know my chances of getting a II here.
That's 64 percentile or 27.5. You're looking at a minimum wait time of next year.

Withdrew my acceptance from here, good luck everyone!

Withdrew my application a few days ago. Hope people hear back and good luck to those who have yet to interview!

Anyone else wait listed post-interview? I was back in September. Figuring out if I should send an update letter and transcript from this semester...anyone done this already and know where to send those materials?

I would send an email to admissions and call admissions to get their word on update letter details. Do you consider yourself a strong candidate?
Anyone else wait listed post-interview? I was back in September. Figuring out if I should send an update letter and transcript from this semester...anyone done this already and know where to send those materials?

I would send an email to admissions and call admissions to get their word on update letter details. Do you consider yourself a strong candidate?

Good idea! I've got a LizzyM around 65 and MCAT of 29, so decent at least. Grades since application have been at 3.7.

Cancelled my interview here! Good luck everyone!

Withdrawn today, good luck all! Love the PHX area, just can't stomach the $60k.

Does anyone from c/o 2020 want to learn and play raquetball or lift together? Hit me up!
I haven't even interviewed her yet, but if this is where I end up going to school, then you've got a racquetball buddy right here!