Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Complete 11/11
Interview invite 12/3
3.75 cGPA 3.7 sGPA 29 MCAT

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got placed on pre-interview waitlist yesterday. Assuming I'll never move off of it since it's already January? :(

Just got placed on pre-interview waitlist yesterday. Assuming I'll never move off of it since it's already January? :(

I got the same notice when you did. From reading the previous years' threads it looks like they interview up until March-April ish so we shouldn't give up all hope but definitely should have a plan b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what reasons do they have to justify the hikes?
They do it because they can, lol. Some of the reason are inflation, cost of living, etc. When the students have really pressed the admin for answers they just let us know it's happening whether or not they can give us a reason so it has become a fact of life.

One of the reasons why there are so many HPSP students.

So far this is my only acceptance. I was really impressed at the interview, and love the area. The tuition is freaking me out a bit though. If it ends up being my only acceptance, then so be it. But I was hoping someone could explain the numbers to me a bit better. I realize it's outdated, but the AACOM Information Book gives this for AZCOM financial information:

2014-15 tuition: 58k
Est. Room, Board, Books, & Living Costs: 25k/yr
Avg 2014 Graduate Indebtedness: 288k

Let's say you live like a pauper, which I'm not sure the average student does, and live on 15k/year. When added up, that's 292k for 4 years. With current tuition and 15k/year, I get 300k. On the AZCOM budget sheet given out by the school, their "thrifty" budget predicts a 363k total cost of attendance for 4 years.

All of this just seems outrageous to me. There does seem to be a discrepancy in the average "indebtedness" as reported by AACOM and the cost of attendance estimated by AZCOM. I'm not an expert on med school financing. Are there common alternative ways to finance some of that check? Or is there pretty much no way to avoid coming out with 300k minimum in debt?
There are a bunch of programs to help pay off the debt. AZCOM can justify the costs because they have really great loan repayment for graduates (i.e. it may cost a lot but graduates are able to pay it back-whether through well paid competitive jobs or qualifying for loan forgiveness positions etc...) Public Service Loan Forgiveness is a common path along with Income based repayment and Pay as you earn. You just have see if where you want to work qualifies for those sorts of programs. Also, many jobs offer loan payment as incentives to work there. It just depends on where you want to end up. As far as reducing the bill as a student you can do work study, some paid research positions or teaching assistant positions are paid. Although they may not make too big a dent in the bill.

I submitted secondary 9/30 and didn't hear back till today (1/8/16) for an interview which I scheduled for 1/27. They only have 2 other dates of 3/3 and 3/7 I believe... Strange it took so long for me to hear anything from them, especially since I wasn't even notify if I was placed on an II waitlist..

Was put on the interview wait list and I'm hoping to get an interview here...

Has anyone done an "in the area" call to switch their interview date or know if they are receptive to it?

I'm withdrawing my acceptance from this school! Hope it goes to one of you guys! Ughhhh there goes my deposit down the drain :(

I'm withdrawing my acceptance from this school! Hope it goes to one of you guys! Ughhhh there goes my deposit down the drain :(
hey man at least you are going to a great school. Good luck. Oakland rejected me pre-interview and it really hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is awkward. How'd you know about Oakland?
sorry that you feel that it was awkward. That was not my intention. I knew that you got accepted to Oakland because I am also active on that thread and also what sizillyd said.

Hope that clarifies things!

sorry that you feel that it was awkward. That was not my intention. I knew that you got accepted to Oakland because I am also active on that thread and also what sizillyd said.

Hope that clarifies things!

Bahahaha thanks for clarifying, I don't use SDN often. I thought I had a stalker lol.

They do it because they can, lol. Some of the reason are inflation, cost of living, etc. When the students have really pressed the admin for answers they just let us know it's happening whether or not they can give us a reason so it has become a fact of life.

One of the reasons why there are so many HPSP students.
I am incoming M1 and I've also been thinking hard about whether HPSP was worth it. Then again, if I can match into a well-compensated specialty then of course it won't be as big of a problem....

There are a bunch of programs to help pay off the debt. AZCOM can justify the costs because they have really great loan repayment for graduates (i.e. it may cost a lot but graduates are able to pay it back-whether through well paid competitive jobs or qualifying for loan forgiveness positions etc...) Public Service Loan Forgiveness is a common path along with Income based repayment and Pay as you earn. You just have see if where you want to work qualifies for those sorts of programs. Also, many jobs offer loan payment as incentives to work there. It just depends on where you want to end up. As far as reducing the bill as a student you can do work study, some paid research positions or teaching assistant positions are paid. Although they may not make too big a dent in the bill.
I'd be super interested in knowing more about these repayment programs, actually. Will probably be bothering fin aid with emails until August...

Don't know what year you are but do you know if there are prosecting jobs for students during the year/over summer?

This is the first school I've heard back from (I was a little late to the party), and I made II waitlist. Crossing my fingers...

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how many interviews they give out and the number of acceptances they hand out?

I am officially withdrawing from this school. Those of you who end up going, just know you are going to a great school. I loved the campus environment and the diversity among healthcare students. I just could not see myself going there. Good luck to everyone else!

I have a plain at 3pm on interview day :( I know we are supposed to be there till 2pm, but does anyone know if IIs itself is during the first half of day? Is lunch after IIs, so I can skip it probably to make it to plane? Would appreciate if anyone can share the day schedule during interview? Thank you.

Lunch is provided at the end so you can just skip it. :)

I have a plain at 3pm on interview day :( I know we are supposed to be there till 2pm, but does anyone know if IIs itself is during the first half of day? Is lunch after IIs, so I can skip it probably to make it to plane? Would appreciate if anyone can share the day schedule during interview? Thank you.
L

One week until interview on January 27th! I'll be flying from CA - arriving around noon. Anybody down for dinner?

You can find more details from the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 threads about interview, rotation sites and general thoughts about the school.

So scouring through the thread, I have discerned some information regarding the interview. However, is this information listed somewhere on their site? The email correspondence regarding my II only mentioned hotels and how long the interview day was.

To whom it may interest,

I, Swoll Cat, the swollest of ALL THE CATS, have been placed on the II waitlist since November in The Year of Our Lord Grumpy Cat 2015. AZCOM continues to test my patience right meow. +pity+

Reactions: 4 users
I am canceling my interview on February 26th if someone wants to grab it. I decided to go to another school. Best of luck to everyone!

II about a week ago! I was able to scheduled for late March

Sadly I didn't see Hashimoto's Feb 26th date available

II about a week ago! I was able to scheduled for late March

Sadly I didn't see Hashimoto's Feb 26th date available
Were you on the interview wait list or did you just apply late?

Has anyone received correspondence from them since making the deposit? Hope I'm not missing anything...
Once you log back onto the portal you should be given an email address and from what I understand all communication will be through that email address and through the portal.

No, you can choose before you pay your deposit. I'm pretty sure the first goes out to everyone accepted. Every rotation, except auditions, rural and obviously if you choose to do an away rotation are at the same hospital if you go to Chicago. It is a pretty large hospital. I dont, but the ones I can think of are East Valley, West Valley, Tuscon, 2 different LA ones, Modesto, there is another CA ones that I cant remember exactly where, Chicago and Kankakee, IL (where the people in Chicago go to do their rural rotation). Over half is class stays in East or west Valley.

Is the one hospital in Chicago you speak of the Riverside Medical Center in Kankakee or is it a different site? Here is what they list for IL:

IL:
Kankakee - Riverside Medical Center
Rural - Advocate BroMenn Medical Center

Thank you!

Just got my II from AZCOM! :) Thanks for all the helpful information in this thread - interview on March 1st. I applied late, so I'm very pleased with the opportunity.

From what I gathered, they sound like a typical panel interview? Did the entire morning/afternoon consist of anything else aside from that?

Boarding my flight to Phoenix right now! Anybody else interviewing tomorrow?

Fairly typical interview with 3 panelists. Conversational and quite relaxed.

Just got my II from AZCOM! :) Thanks for all the helpful information in this thread - interview on March 1st. I applied late, so I'm very pleased with the opportunity.

From what I gathered, they sound like a typical panel interview? Did the entire morning/afternoon consist of anything else aside from that?

Rescheduled my interview for February 1. Flying in Sunday (1/31). If anyone wants to meet up and grab food Sunday evening shoot me a PM!

How long it usually takes to hear back after II, roughly 2 weeks? Thank you.

P.S. I also remember tour guide saying something about that if you basically don't do or say something inappropriate than there's very high chance to be accepted after II (meaning some seats are still available)? Any consensus on that so far? Thanks.

Are there any current students that have done federal work study? I'm curious about what kind of jobs they offer on campus, and how your experience was as far as having time to study, etc.

Does anyone know the acceptance rate post interview?
How many acceptances have been offered?

Just had my interview this past Monday and I logged onto my portal and saw an "accepted student checklist" link BUT it only said "this checklist is available to accepted students" and there wasn't anything else on the page. Does this mean I was accepted??? Be still my beating pre-med heart...

edit: answered my own question. Looks like I still have to wait.

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone knows when is adcom meeting? I've heard it's on Fridays, so possibly today? Thank you.

I interviewed there recently and I believe I remember them saying that the adcom will be meeting on 2/1 or 2/2

Interviewed here last week. This is my second go around. I felt the interview was tougher this time around. My interview panel was the toughest one too I felt like. Best of luck to everyone else though, you will do great!