Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone set up a visit with admissions prior to this application cycle? I'm applying in the upcoming cycle and will be in Phoenix next month. Wondering if its worth an official visit. The only information I could find was here: https://www.midwestern.edu/glendale_campus/visit_campus.html
yes, visit, it will help your secondary. Get somes names, talk to them, and them drop those names in secondary

Members don't see this ad.

After being accepted, when we're sending our transcripts to AZCOM, do we need to have an attached letter request form? Or can I just have the transcript sent directly to admissions office?

Reactions: 1 user
After being accepted, when we're sending our transcripts to AZCOM, do we need to have an attached letter request form? Or can I just have the transcript sent directly to admissions office?
I just sent mine directly there and had no problems.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On campus housing seems a bit expensive... Don't think I will be able to afford that.

As an out-of-state student, I was wondering if current students could give me the low-down on the apartment-situation at AZCOM. Does it hurt you at all to live off campus as MS1? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Agree with Strebor14k. Directly should be fine...

how long after paying deposit do we get to select rotation region? Since this is late in the cycle are they running out of spots at certain rotation regions?

On campus housing seems a bit expensive... Don't think I will be able to afford that.

As an out-of-state student, I was wondering if current students could give me the low-down on the apartment-situation at AZCOM. Does it hurt you at all to live off campus as MS1? Thanks in advance!
It really just depends on the student. I know a lot of students don't go to every class and just study the lectures on their own time. In that case, living off campus definitely wouldn't be an issue. However, if you're going for convenience and are concerned about cost, on-campus is probably your best option because the apartments very close to campus are generally more expensive than the on-campus apartments.

Just FYI, a Facebook group was made for the incoming class. You can find it by searching "MWU-Glendale DO Class of 2020". You can do that or PM me your email and I can add you.

Still no email asking for rotation region preference, im a little worried I wont get the "good regions". Anyone care to share how long after acceptance they ask for rotation preference? Thanks

I was accepted a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything about rotations yet.

Which ones do y'all consider good rotation regions?

Also, when I got my region assigned, I was contacted by Ms. Tara Gaines at [email protected]. Maybe someone can try emailing her and let everyone else know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to stay close but that is because I don't want to uproot my family again in 2 years.

Which ones do y'all consider good rotation regions?

Also, when I got my region assigned, I was contacted by Ms. Tara Gaines at [email protected]. Maybe someone can try emailing her and let everyone else know?

Did they let you know the likely hospitals in each rotation region? If so im guessing we can google to see if there are interesting residency programs there? If not then I guess its just purely location...

Notice the air quotes around "good regions", i think it might be irrelevant

Did they let you know the likely hospitals in each rotation region? If so im guessing we can google to see if there are interesting residency programs there? If not then I guess its just purely location...

Notice the air quotes around "good regions", i think it might be irrelevant

They do give you a list of hospitals in each region. It took about 3-4 weeks till I got the email asking about rotations.

Just FYI, a Facebook group was made for the incoming class. You can find it by searching "MWU-Glendale DO Class of 2020". You can do that or PM me your email and I can add you.

Could you add me please :) [email protected]
It really just depends on the student. I know a lot of students don't go to every class and just study the lectures on their own time. In that case, living off campus definitely wouldn't be an issue. However, if you're going for convenience and are concerned about cost, on-campus is probably your best option because the apartments very close to campus are generally more expensive than the on-campus apartments.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

created yesterday and there's already 200+ members? this may be the one set up by the school..? as someone else previously mentioned, and that we had to create our own with only people in the class.

There will probably be a AZCOM 2020 Facebook group made for you guys but it will include other years and faculty even to share info with you guys that may be pertinent to your class. What we did (class of 2019) is make another students only private Facebook group instead to share things just among our own class. If you guys want to get on that and make your own it would be a good idea. Just don't name it AZCOM 2020 since that's probably what your official group will be named.

This ^
So the other one includes a lot of other people and not just people from our class.

The one recently created has only people from our class, no faculty nor upperclassmen.

Feel free to join the upperclassmen pages as well - just search for AZCOM 2019, AZCOM 2018, and AZCOM 2017.

To clarify, the AZCOM 2020 group is your "official" page that includes upperclassmen and faculty. You guys should feel free to join upperclassmen official groups as well because announcements regarding school wide events, community service, leadership, etc will be posted in your official group as well as ours. We also use it when communication is needed across classes. Whatever group you guys have made (MWU-DO etc) can be your own class page where you guys can talk about stuff without interference or prying eyes from the rest of the school :)

I interviewed a little over 2 weeks ago, got accepted a little less than a week later, and got my rotation email a few hours ago.

What address did you send them to? I'm having a really difficult time connecting my transcripts with admissions and my college will only send hard copies.

I sent mine to this address:
Office of Admissions
Midwestern University
19555 North 59th Avenue
Glendale, AZ 85308

I thought they only accept official hard copies of our transcript.

What address did you send them to? I'm having a really difficult time connecting my transcripts with admissions and my college will only send hard copies.
I used the same address as cassis. All were verified within a week if I remember correctly.

I haven't been accepted to the FB groups yet - do you know if pretty much everyone will have a car or not? I wanted to get a house out there and my rotations are in east valley. I'm wondering how close to the campus I should be looking to make sure that it's an ideal location to rent out in the future.

I haven't been accepted to the FB groups yet - do you know if pretty much everyone will have a car or not? I wanted to get a house out there and my rotations are in east valley. I'm wondering how close to the campus I should be looking to make sure that it's an ideal location to rent out in the future.
Just about everyone has a car unless they live close enough to walk (San Lagos, etc). If you want to park close to your classes you gotta get there pretty early in the morning. If you get to school after 8am the parking lots are pretty much full. However, I've never had a problem finding parking in the parking structure (which is better in the summer anyways)...you just have to walk a little bit further. As for your rotations in East Valley, a lot of people in our class are just moving at the end of second year. The hospitals and sites on rotation are far enough apart that it's going to be hard to find one location where you dont have to spend time driving anyways, and you still have to head back to campus occasionally for exams and such. I would worry about getting a good place for your first two years first; rotation stuff is constantly changing and you might end up wanting to switch the more you learn about each site!

So just to clarify, there are parking spots available throughout the day correct? Where I am currently, you can spend an hour looking for a spot if you are there after 10 a.m. I want to live a few miles out but am not willing to spend a significant amount of time roaming a lot waiting for someone to leave.

So just to clarify, there are parking spots available throughout the day correct? Where I am currently, you can spend an hour looking for a spot if you are there after 10 a.m. I want to live a few miles out but am not willing to spend a significant amount of time roaming a lot waiting for someone to leave.
I've gotten to school anywhere from 6:30am to 7pm and I've never had a problem finding parking. If the lot is full, there's still room in the structure. Granted, I don't know if there will be more or less students with cars next year, but so far I've always had a spot somewhere to park.

Does anyone know when the final interviews are and when the alternate list will be utilized? Thanks!

Does anyone know when the final interviews are and when the alternate list will be utilized? Thanks!
I know that the furthest dates out right now on the scheduler are April 18-23rd, at least on my portal.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey Everyone! Congrats to everyone who has interviewed/been accepted here. I'm interviewing here on the 24th and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the interview. And how long after the interview does it take to hear back?

Also down to grab coffee or dinner if anyone is in the area on the 23rd or 24th

i would've made the mistake of getting leather seats not thinking about them and the heat. also, can't tell if you're serious about the oven mitts.
You can get away without the oven mitts, but some people have used them. Just try not to let the metal part of the seatbelt brand you.

Hey Everyone! Congrats to everyone who has interviewed/been accepted here. I'm interviewing here on the 24th and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for the interview. And how long after the interview does it take to hear back?

Also down to grab coffee or dinner if anyone is in the area on the 23rd or 24th
I'm interviewing on the 24th as well & staying at the drury! As far as the interview goes, I'd definitely check out the interview feedback section of sdn.

Are there good teaching hospitals in east valley rotation wise? Thanks
P.S. regarding heat, I was wondering if I should tint my car, is it common practice in Phoenix and if it's legal?

Are there good teaching hospitals in east valley rotation wise? Thanks
P.S. regarding heat, I was wondering if I should tint my car, is it common practice in Phoenix and if it's legal?
I heard Maricopa and Banner hospitals are supposed to be really good!

How many rotations we are going to have roughly in M3/4 years?

New to the forum. Accepted and interviewed in January. I was born and raised in AZ. I would definitely tint your car windows and buy a shade for the front of it. Unfortunately, you just have to deal with the heat and don't be surprised if you get some redness on your legs if you wear shorter shorts and have leather seats. Setting a towel down might help, but that is totally personal preference.

In regards to 3/4 year rotations. I would say that East/West Valley rotations are about equal and likely balance each other out with their pros/cons list. Maricopa is the county hospital for the Phoenix Metro area. It has numerous residency programs that are great, but I don't know any specifics about it except for the EM program. Banner University Medical Center/ Good Sam, the large level 1 trauma center, has a affiliation with U of A Phoenix and it appears we do not rotate there. If the other Banner facilities are like Good Sam, they should be fine. At Good Sam, one could likely do a audition rotation there, if a student has a specific program they are interested in. You could also audition at Maricopa and we have numerous Midwestern grads at my hospital that did residencies at Maricopa. The HonorHealth hospitals are all good and I currently work and research there.

I look forward to meeting everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interviewing tomorrow, but I fly in today at noon. If anyone wants to meet up and grab lunch/dinner PM me. I'll have a car so it's whatever.

I declined my acceptance offer. its tough, I really wish I could be in Arizona for med school. best of luck to all of you!

Hi, starting Azcom this September. Is there someone I can talk to gain admittance to the older Azcom Facebook page for 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016? I requested for 2019 several months ago and for the rest today.

If you find out let me know. I haven't had any luck getting accepted to the 2020 page either.

Really excited to hear back from the interview. I feel like it went really well and I ended up really loving the school, plus stat wise I think I fit the bill. Way stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile