Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you! I actually interviewed at the end of March, and sent in a LOI not too long after I found out I was placed on the alt list.
Yeah I think you were on my interview day too? Either way congrats again!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I think you were on my interview day too? Either way congrats again!

Cody, right? I definitely remember Welsh.. and I think us being the last ones waiting to get called in! So wait did you get in? You said you got the acceptance packet?

Cody, right? I definitely remember Welsh.. and I think us being the last ones waiting to get called in! So wait did you get in? You said you got the acceptance packet?
Connor, but close! And yeah, I got accepted early April when the decisions went out and my packet got here May 2nd.

Members don't see this ad :)
Connor, but close! And yeah, I got accepted early April when the decisions went out and my packet got here May 2nd.

Oops my bad! But hey awesome man, very cool we're about to be classmates!

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrawing today. Hope the spot goes to one of y'all!

Reactions: 2 users
Any news about alternate list movement or the number of applicants on the list?

I emailed...they said the list has 176 names and that it has started moving.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if we are able to access our class schedules or other course content/book lists yet- or if not, when we would be able to? Is it posted on the portal we currently have access to at some point?

Thanks for the help :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if we are able to access our class schedules or other course content/book lists yet- or if not, when we would be able to? Is it posted on the portal we currently have access to at some point?

Thanks for the help :)

Right side under your email in the portal. Should have a list of links. Block schedules and academic calendars. Sad news is they aren't up yet. I don't know when they will be. They may be changing the schedule around last minute or who knows what. To be honest I've been studying for boards for a month and don't know what's going on anymore. They will likely email you a block schedule once it's near finalized. As for books, don't worry about that. Just look throughout the summer. I have a ton of books and didn't use them at all. Save for my atlases. Board review books are where it's at.

And oh yeah, I'm an MS more than 2 here. AMA if you want (I know I'm late to the party by a lot)

I was told last week they are continuing to take people off as seats are given up.
I would think it would move until the first day of class as people get off of wait lists for schools that are a better fit (closer to home, cheaper etc.).

Hello everyone! I just submitted my matriculation payment. I was wondering if anyone knows how signing up for rotations work.

-How long after your payment do you get an email with a link to pick your site?

Hello everyone! I just submitted my matriculation payment. I was wondering if anyone knows how signing up for rotations work.

-How long after your payment do you get an email with a link to pick your site?

I got my email about three to four days after if I remember correctly.

Did anyone figure out the following:
How to access the blackboard page on the student portal: it keeps asking me for a pin and every time I enter it my access is denied.
Also, I've been trying to figure out how much to pull out in loans and was going to watch the video on blackboard. Lets say your pulling out loans for everything BUT your cost of living (rent, food etc). How much would you take out?

Did anyone figure out the following:
How to access the blackboard page on the student portal: it keeps asking me for a pin and every time I enter it my access is denied.
Also, I've been trying to figure out how much to pull out in loans and was going to watch the video on blackboard. Lets say your pulling out loans for everything BUT your cost of living (rent, food etc). How much would you take out?
I don't think we can access the blackboard page yet.

For the loans you can fill out everything and when they give you the financial letter you can just make changes to it. Tuition should be around 63k

Has anyone on the alternate list asked if the class is full at this point?

I don't mind asking, I'm not sure what you mean though! I was under the impression that the class was already full and that they were pulling students as students who are currently accepted give up their spots for other schools, waitlists, etc.
Thanks! I'm out of the country or would be able to do so. I guess I figured the WL movement early on was more so to fill in any remaining seats, and then at some point they would reach a full class where it would get stagnant and the number of people dropping seats would be minimal. But eh, this process is crazy lol

I thought someone had said the class fills in May and then the alt list was used to replace people who go elsewhere.

Anyone with under a 500 MCAT mind sharing if you were accepted and what your GPA was and if there was anything "unusual"/ nontraditional about your app?

Last edited:
Has anyone on the alternate list asked if the class is full at this point?

As of this morning, there are 146 students on the alternate list and they've started taking students off of it. The class will always be full - any movement from dropped spots will be replenished from the alternate list.

As of this morning, there are 146 students on the alternate list and they've started taking students off of it. The class will always be full - any movement from dropped spots will be replenished from the alternate list.
Thanks for the information!! It was 176 people about a month ago.

Can't believe they've already taken 30 off....don't know if I should be happy about that or sad.....
Yeah crazy, although some of those could be students they offered positions and then they declined so they were taken off the list too.

Hi everyone, first off, congratulations to those who finished the first year of medical school (assuming it's over)! Secondly, I'm a non-traditional applicant with a few questions about the school. I'm about to submit my secondary. Would anyone have a few minutes to spare and answer a couple of questions about the culture and overall tone of the institution? I would really appreciate your time and effort :)

Accepted off of the wait list today :) My 4th app cycle :)

Reactions: 11 users
Accepted off wait list today!

I'm so happy for you! You did it!

On a side note, we both have really similar stats and got interview invites around the same time sooo I'm really hoping I get a phone call in the remaining few weeks. I really don't wanna drop cash on this next round of secondaries....

Thank you so much for all your support! There's still so much time for people to get in off the waitlist, so don't give up hope.

P.S. Does anyone know when our first test is? I am trying to find a place and coordinate moving on short notice but also need to fly back home in august to pack up and move my S.O. out here. I haven't seen a specific course schedule yet.

Thank you so much for all your support! There's still so much time for people to get in off the waitlist, so don't give up hope.

P.S. Does anyone know when our first test is? I am trying to find a place and coordinate moving on short notice but also need to fly back home in august to pack up and move my S.O. out here. I haven't seen a specific course schedule yet.

I have the block schedule at home, I can check when I'm back there!

How did you guys answer the "why should we accept you into THIS year's class" I need some help!!!

withdrew my spot. my first ever acceptance. will certainly love to return to AZ as a resident!

Good luck all. hope one of u gets my spot

Reactions: 2 users

We have biochem on August 15! 1st quarter is pretty much just one exam per week.

Out of curiosity, were any of you on the interview waitlist and actually got an II? I received the waitlist for interview email this morning for the 2016-2017 cycle.

Out of curiosity, were any of you on the interview waitlist and actually got an II? I received the waitlist for interview email this morning for the 2016-2017 cycle.

Yep! A large number in my 2015-2016 interview cohort were on the interview waitlist for several months prior to the II. I assume it was due to stats screening.

Yep! A large number in my 2015-2016 interview cohort were on the interview waitlist for several months prior to the II. I assume it was due to stats screening.

Awesome! Any insight into the number of those early waitlisters actually accepted? Or even the chances after an interview somewhat later in the cycle?

Awesome! Any insight into the number of those early waitlisters actually accepted? Or even the chances after an interview somewhat later in the cycle?
The waitlist is technically unranked, so it's difficult to give you concrete information on the relationship between when you were waitlisted and if you'll receive a II/acceptance. Overall, it will depend on what your stats are and how your ECs/clinical experience/research round you out if you happen to be in the middle or low end of things.

Does anyone know if they continue to pull people off during orientation week or if the list is only running up until the end of this upcoming week?
They pull people off during orientation week.

Did anyone on the waitlist get an email from an admissions counselor today talking about orientation starting and possible alternate list movement?
Nope, did you get one?

Can someone comment on getting and interview waitlist email and then what are the chances of actually getting an interview in January or whenever? looking for insight from last cycle

Hello,

I'm a student applying during the 2016-2017 cycle. I was wondering if any of you were put on the Pre-Interview hold as early as late July and received an interview later on? I've sent AZCOM updates and a letter of intent already. Is there anything else I can do to get an interview and get off the hold?