Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted. Strange, no phone call or real email, but an email about my deposit due date.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I love how this thread is a cycle of ppl freaking out and questioning whether their accepted student checklist is legit or not.

#iknowthatfeel

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed last Monday with no change to the accepted student checklist (still says this is only available to accepted students) and gave AZCOM a call. Apparently if you're in a similar situation it means a decision hasn't been made for whatever reason. If you're accepted, your checklist updates with all the stuff people on this thread talks about and if you're on the waitlist/alternate then your portal will update with missing items or something.

They said the next main ADCOM meeting for acceptances will be Oct 19th ... guess we gotta hang tight until then

Kind of weird how they don't even let you know by phone or email that they accepted you...no?

Am I the only one that feels that way

Reactions: 2 users
I can't believe every spot is filled until December.................... I have begun checking the portal every day to see if a spot opens up earlier. T minus 2 months

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary submitted! How long usually is the down time to interview decisions?

I know that this school does not have mandatory attendance, but what percentage of the classes are mandatory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current MS1 here. You'll have 6-7 subjects on average per semester. 3 semesters for first year (4 semesters for year 2) meaning you'll have optional free summer after MS1 year - will be the last free summer tho). From those 7 subjects all lectures are not mandatory, except 2 subjects where you need to answer clicker questions, so you have to attend those. Also all labs/workshops are mandatory, but that goes without saying. Keep in mind that most of lectures are videorecorded for you to study at home, but there are several subjects that don't record lectures. So in general it's better to attend them, tho it is possible to successfully pass exams just by studying handouts as they are very detailed and good. Exams are almost every Monday, which is good as you get time to prepare on weekend. It's a good school and I like it a lot. Tuition is high lol, but on positive note we get lots of prep materials for classes and boards for free via library etc. Also, campus cafeteria is affordable (they try to keep low prices), which helps to control food spending at least somewhat. Weather is very nice right now, but several months during summer it's too hot lol. Tho you get accustomed to it quickly. On the positive note - I really like 300+ sunshine days :) it keeps you in good mood
P.S. also if you are looking for a on-campus housing (which is good and saves a lot of time), apply early as they tend to run out of spaces at around January. Just saying

Last edited:
Current MS1 here. You'll have 6-7 subjects on average per semester. 3 semesters for first year (4 semesters for year 2) meaning you'll have optional free summer after MS1 year - will be the last free summer tho). From those 7 subjects all lectures are not mandatory, except 2 subjects where you need to answer clicker questions, so you have to attend those. Also all labs/workshops are mandatory, but that goes without saying. Keep in mind that most of lectures are videorecorded for you to study at home, but there are several subjects that don't record lectures. So in general it's better to attend them, tho it is possible to successfully pass exams just by studying handouts as they are very detailed and good. Exams are almost every Monday, which is good as you get time to prepare on weekend. It's a good school and I like it a lot. Tuition is high lol, but on positive note we get lots of prep materials for classes and boards for free via library etc. Also, campus cafeteria is affordable (they try to keep low prices), which helps to control food spending at least somewhat. Weather is very nice right now, but several months during summer it's too hot lol. Tho you get accustomed to it quickly. On the positive note - I really like 300+ sunshine days :) it keeps you in good mood

Do they tell you which classes are video recorded or not? I personally like to self study and watch lectures at my own convenience.

Do they tell you which classes are video recorded or not? I personally like to self study and watch lectures at my own convenience.
Of course they do :) You'll have a 3 day orientation and they will tell you a lot of info, including that. Half of our class likes to study at home like you said it's more convenient. The other half still attends lectures for various reasons. For me it's mostly that if I stay at home - I may get distracted or procrastinate, while attending class basically helps me to stay focused - basically helps discipline lol. If you have good self-control and good study habits then good for you as you'll do good either way :)

Of course they do :) You'll have a 3 day orientation and they will tell you a lot of info, including that. Half of our class likes to study at home like you said it's more convenient. The other half still attends lectures for various reasons. For me it's mostly that if I stay at home - I may get distracted or procrastinate, while attending class basically helps me to stay focused - basically helps discipline lol. If you have good self-control and good study habits then good for you as you'll do good either way :)

Does AZCOM have a formal dress policy?

Members don't see this ad :)

I wish all the lectures were recorded like ccom...trying to decide between this school and lecom Erie...any input?

Does AZCOM have a formal dress policy?
Only for formal occasions like WhiteCoat ceremony, meetings with Dean, etc. Also, for some patient interactions you have to dress business casual plus white coat with badge etc. - which is good, keeps things professional and I'm sure majority of schools have same policy for these special circumstances. Any other time most of our class wears OMM style mostly (e.g. I wear shorts and t-shirts), especially considering that it's a beautiful weather here (except summer season). However, it may get a bit chilly closer to Christmas. Oh yeah, also in Anatomy lab you have to wear scrubs - but that's obvious too I guess.
P.S. I do see often students from other programs (we have around 10-12 other programs like Dental, PA, OT and so on) wearing scrubs most of time, but they probably have different policy than us.

Only for formal occasions like WhiteCoat ceremony, meetings with Dean, etc. Also, for some patient interactions you have to dress business casual plus white coat with badge etc. - which is good, keeps things professional and I'm sure majority of schools have same policy for these special circumstances. Any other time most of our class wears OMM style mostly (e.g. I wear shorts and t-shirts), especially considering that it's a beautiful weather here (except summer season). However, it may get a bit chilly closer to Christmas. Oh yeah, also in Anatomy lab you have to wear scrubs - but that's obvious too I guess.
P.S. I do see often students from other programs (we have around 10-12 other programs like Dental, PA, OT and so on) wearing scrubs most of time, but they probably have different policy than us.
thanks!

no dress code, most students come in scrubs or OMM attire

Called the office today--the reason for the long wait in interview dates is because they're only interviewing one week in October and then don't at all in November. See you all in December!

Congrats! I just submitted and was marked complete a couple days ago. Hopeful to get a II from this school!!

^^^ Congrats! I'm an FL resident too! I was complete 2 days ago, so I'm still waiting.

II! No email, just checked the portal. Complete 10/4. Super surprised about that turn around time!

I wish all the lectures were recorded like ccom...trying to decide between this school and lecom Erie...any input?

I can't vouch for the other school. I can only vouch for AZCOM. I graduated from there in 2013. I think it is a very solid school. The lectures are good (if you decide to go) and the faculty are great. If you don't go, there is usually a group of students that will record the lectures and/or annotate the PowerPoint slides. Most of the faculty have an open door policy and will go out of their way to help you succeed. The frequent exams make you stay on top of everything. You will be well-prepared for board exams, rotations and residency. They have strengthened their clinical rotations quite a bit over the past several years. I don't regret anything (except for the tuition bill). I don't know of any of my classmates that were disappointed in their education either. Hope this helps a little!

Reactions: 3 users
Called the office today--the reason for the long wait in interview dates is because they're only interviewing one week in October and then don't at all in November. See you all in December!
that explains the 5 days in the first week of December lol

Anyone interviewing on 10/26??? will be there early, PM me if you are interested in meeting up and explore a bit!

Woke up to an II this morning!!! Complete on 9/19

Just received the rotation region preference link. At the end of the submission it states: "You will be notified by e-mail of your rotation site assignment, to the e-mail you provided above, within two weeks."

+1 Submitted!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone have more insight about their rotation sites? I'm working on the ranking list right now.

Hey guys. I just looked and it seems interview spots opened in late October. I don't think I can take it on such short notice but if anyone else with an II is looking to move theirs up, I thought I would give you a heads up

Hey guys. I just looked and it seems interview spots opened in late October. I don't think I can take it on such short notice but if anyone else with an II is looking to move theirs up, I thought I would give you a heads up

Take it

ARGHH AZCOM offer me an interview already!

kthnxbye

Still talking to my wife but I may be cancelling my interview in late October (getting expensive to fly to interviews.) If someone wants to PM me I will let you know right before I cancel it so you can have it.

Still talking to my wife but I may be cancelling my interview in late October (getting expensive to fly to interviews.) If someone wants to PM me I will let you know right before I cancel it so you can have it.
Is it for the 10/28 day?

I couldn't find it online, what kind of curriculum do they have? Traditional or system based?

Has anyone who interviewed on 10/3 heard back yet?

Accepted via portal, interviewed 9/29

Interviewed 9/26, accepted via portal this morning!!

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 9/23, Accepted!! Checked portal and called them to confirm.