Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received an II. Can't wait to meet some of you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would it be weird to mention in the why AZCOM secondary that AZ's location would be desirable to me due to its dry climate? I'm a severe allergy sufferer and am on immunotherapy treatment. Idk if it's worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For what it's worth, I mentioned the locale as a perk, too. I feel it's important to like the location. Granted, it shouldn't be your number one reason for choosing the school, but it's definitely a draw. I'll see some of you Aug 26!!

The drury at happy valley gives discounted rates to interviewers and they shuttle to and from Midwestern. For going to/from airport/hotel you can use super shuttle. You get a discount for that as well.
This is awesome!! Do they fill up quickly? And is the shuttle pretty quick/reliable? We do have to be there early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an interview invite for AZCOM!! Wow, I didn't think they'd even glance at my application till like August or September!! :soexcited:

Nothing changed on my portal yet. It's gonna be a long cycle :p

I'm having a hard time attaching my CV with both the AZCOM and CCOM secondary. Each time I attach the word doc, then submit the application, it goes back to the same page and the red error message says "You must upload a copy before proceeding".

Anyone else have this issue?

I'm having a hard time attaching my CV with both the AZCOM and CCOM secondary. Each time I attach the word doc, then submit the application, it goes back to the same page and the red error message says "You must upload a copy before proceeding".

Sounds like a technical issue. Try using a different browser, if it still doesn't work, contact the school for technical support.

You have to hit upload just under where it says choose file :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know anything about the format of the interview? Any tips for preparing? Also, does anyone know when students pick their third and fourth year main rotation site? After acceptance or after second year?

Portal changed this AM to schedule my interview.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice. When were you verified/secondary submitted?
Submitted secondary 6/27. Was fully complete 6/30. My AACOMAS was app was verified prior to 6/15. Cant find an email for when AZCOM had recieved my app.

I'm wondering if they are screening out applicants with <29/30 equivalent MCAT

I'm wondering if they are screening out applicants with <29/30 equivalent MCAT

I think they did the same thing last year. From what I read they offer interviews to sub 29 later on in the cycle.

I have a 514 but no II yet :( but then again my GPA is terrible...

I was also marked complete the 7th of July. So there's that too :)

So, is Phoenix the airport to fly into? I use Southwest...can fly another airline if there is something closer to Glendale.

II this morning for September (it's the only day I could get off work)! So excited!

So, is Phoenix the airport to fly into? I use Southwest...can fly another airline if there is something closer to Glendale.

Lol who isn't going to be taking a private jet... next thing I hear I'm the only one rolling to AZCOM in a limousine, tuxedos, and champagne

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know anything about the format of the interview? Any tips for preparing? Also, does anyone know when students pick their third and fourth year main rotation site? After acceptance or after second year?

It's a 3 person panel interview with 1 student & 2 faculty. Look at the interview feedback section of sdn to get an idea of the questions you might get asked. It was super helpful for me.

You will get to choose your rotation sites once you're accepted. You can also trade with students up until second year I believe.

Just received a "Waitlist For Interview" email. Complete early July. 60-65 LM/Non-trad.

Just received a "Waitlist For Interview" email. Complete early July. 60-65 LM/Non-trad.

Same here, Non-Trad. 504, 3.45 sGPA and oGPA, 4.0 gradGPA + publications (Canadian applicant)

Same here, Non-Trad. 504, 3.45 sGPA and oGPA, 4.0 gradGPA + publications (Canadian applicant)

Its still early on! I'd imagine they are handing out quite a few rejections right now as well.

Its still early on! I'd imagine they are handing out quite a few rejections right now as well.

I'm taking it as a good sign. They seem to be handing out IIs to people with 508+ right now. I'll be waiting patiently!

II! Scheduled for August 29th. cGPA & sGPA 3.4, MCAT 510. From Michigan. Super excited! Good luck everyone!

It's a 3 person panel interview with 1 student & 2 faculty. Look at the interview feedback section of sdn to get an idea of the questions you might get asked. It was super helpful for me.

You will get to choose your rotation sites once you're accepted. You can also trade with students up until second year I believe.

Thank you!!

Waitlist for II here too--Hoping for the best. At least I wasn't outright rejected

Congratulations to the rest of you with the interviews!!!

I haven't heard back since last Thursday when I submitted my secondary. I'm a bit worried since people have been receiving waistlist emails for interviews while I haven't gotten anything. Is that a silent rejection?

I haven't heard back since last Thursday when I submitted my secondary. I'm a bit worried since people have been receiving waistlist emails for interviews while I haven't gotten anything. Is that a silent rejection?
IMO, AZCOM is not known for silent rejections. They do front-screen quite a bit though, so you could expect a waiting period.

Did you at least receive email confirmation of your secondary application completion?

I never received a completion email or any indication they received my secondary besides complete check marks on the portal and I submitted mine late June. So don't worry about it.

I'd assume you'll hear back eventually, I submitted my app back in late June I believe and I just recently received the interview waitlist(even though I have no physician letter sent yet)

IMO, AZCOM is not known for silent rejections. They do front-screen quite a bit though, so you could expect a waiting period.

Did you at least receive email confirmation of your secondary application completion?

Yes I did, the day after I submitted my secondary.

did anyone also receive a "waitlist for interview" email? is this pretty much the equivalent of a rejection or is it a rolling over of consideration with each new batch of applications? :shrug:

Any current medical students willing to provide some insight on why you like AZCOM? Is there anything that sets it apart from other DO schools? What has your experience there been like?

II via portal. 30+ MCAT, ~3.5cGPA. Complete email yesterday.

I've heard that AZCOM is good about only giving IIs to people they are really interested in so their interview:acceptance rate is high. Does anyone know if this is true?

I've heard that AZCOM is good about only giving IIs to people they are really interested in so their interview:acceptance rate is high. Does anyone know if this is true?

Supposedly the acceptance rate once you've gotten an interview is around 75%. From my interview group, a decent chunk were given acceptances.

Supposedly the acceptance rate once you've gotten an interview is around 75%. From my interview group, a decent chunk were given acceptances.

Thanks for the info! What year are you?