Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I was complete 7/6 and have heard nothing back... No news is relatively good news... Right? Like at least I haven't been rejected? Idk how to feel about this. Haha

Someone please tell me how to feel

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It's not over until you receive a rejection. Stay positive!

Members don't see this ad.

So I was complete 7/6 and have heard nothing back... No news is relatively good news... Right? Like at least I haven't been rejected? Idk how to feel about this. Haha

I'm on the same boat. Do you think it's based on stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like this place is hemorrhaging IIs.

Well, during my interview there, the general understanding among interviewees seemed to be an acceptance rate of somewhere around 70% of those that were granted interviews. As you've probably picked up from several posts on SDN the interview is semi-blind, meaning that if you're asked for an interview "they" feel that you're solid on paper and the next move is to delve a bit deeper, revealing what exists beyond the numbers. Of the five D.O. interviews that I attended, I would say that AZCOM's interview was definitely the most intense, in the sense that the interviewers intently focused on each word that I said and took the interview very serious. Yet in a very non-intimidating way, the panel made the interview experience feel more like a discussion among colleagues rather than a mind twisting interrogation. My interview experience was unreal...I left the interview just psyched. After that interview AZCOM was at the very top of my list. Good luck with the interview...if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

AZCOM Class of 2009!!!!

Anyone know this 70% number is still accurate?

Current stats are:
3.47 sGPA
3.45 oGPA
3.9 postbach
4.0 grad
504 MCAT

In September for the course update period, I'll be adding 3 A's which will bring me up into the 3.5's. Currently waitlisted - think this will be enough change to give me a chance?

Current stats are:
3.47 sGPA
3.45 oGPA
3.9 postbach
4.0 grad
504 MCAT

In September for the course update period, I'll be adding 3 A's which will bring me up into the 3.5's. Currently waitlisted - think this will be enough change to give me a chance?

It's hard to say with AZCOM.

Interview invite waitlist. Not sure how I feel about this. They said to see it as a "positive result," but idk, haha. Not much hope because my GPAs aren't great, but gotta think positive.

Reactions: 2 users
Interview invite wailist :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI for everyone, my friend told me that this year's class average was a 29 MCAT and about a 3.5 gpa.

Yeah the gpa average went down as well. I believe it was a 3.45.

Anyone planning on scheduling their interview Oct 3rd?

I apologize if this has been asked before, couldn't find it. Does anyone know more detail on what happens on interview day? This is from their website, and I know there is lunch. I would appreciate it if someone could fill me in on the whole day and process.

"When applicants accept interview appointments, they join other interviewees to meet with members of a three-person interview panel selected from a volunteer group of basic scientists, current students, administrators, and clinicians. Panel members assess applicants for their academic and personal preparedness for medical school, and their understanding of the osteopathic physician's role in the healthcare team."

Anyone else interviewing September 30th?

I apologize if this has been asked before, couldn't find it. Does anyone know more detail on what happens on interview day? This is from their website, and I know there is lunch. I would appreciate it if someone could fill me in on the whole day and process.

"When applicants accept interview appointments, they join other interviewees to meet with members of a three-person interview panel selected from a volunteer group of basic scientists, current students, administrators, and clinicians. Panel members assess applicants for their academic and personal preparedness for medical school, and their understanding of the osteopathic physician's role in the healthcare team."

Was looking into AZCOM the other day and there is some good info about interview day on the 2015-2016 thread.

Reactions: 1 users

Basically you're being interviewed by 3 people. 1 student & 2 faculty

I wonder why they don't send emails to notify the candidates about II...:shrug:

I wonder why they don't send emails to notify the candidates about II...:shrug:

Hmm that's interesting that they didn't sent you one. I found out about my II through email. Perhaps there's a bit of delay between the II invite and email confirmation

Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 characters)
Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 characters)

I am having a bit of trouble with these prompts. So I have contacted DOs to let me shadow in the next couple weeks. For the first prompt, since I haven't yet shadowed, should I talk about how the school's mission fits with my philosophy based on what I have read about osteopathy in books and from interviewing 2 DO doctors (but didn't shadow them)? Should I wait to submit the secondary until I have shadowed a DO but that would be submitting the secondary after more than 2 weeks of receiving it?

For the second prompt, I feel like it's very much open-ended. Can I write about any of my experiences (clinical, community-service, my diversity, etc..) as long as I connect it back to osteopathy? Any tips & advice appreciated :)

+1, I submitted mid July

The diversity essay is really unique for each person but I wrote mine in a similar vein as @flyingturtles and I ended up with an II. For essay 1 I did (Me currently)+(Blank)=(My goals). I put the "blank" as some specific parts of AZCOM and was pretty specific in my goals. It took me a few days to tweak it so the link between the two didn't sound stilted or generic. Just my 0.02. Good luck!

Submitted secondary two days ago! My portal is still saying I don't have my LORs in, but they were sent through AACOMAS. I feel like I'm just being impatient with all the IIs I'm seeing here, haha. Hoping for some love :bow:

Can any current AZCOM student (MS1-4) share experiences about the school: what they love about it, what they dislike, the faculty, programs, etc.? Especially about special programs or student run clinics because I can't seem to find much information on their website (it's pretty generic stuff).

Last edited:
Any Canadians that got interviews at AZCOM want to practice together over skype/google hangout? PM me

would prefer someone from the west coast as I already have another person to practice with from west coast! We can be a group of 3 people! :)

Any Canadians that got interviews at AZCOM want to practice together over skype/google hangout? PM me

would prefer someone from the west coast as I already have another person to practice with from west coast! We can be a group of 3 people! :)
Hi, I got an interview but Im not from Canada
Can I join :)?

Can any current AZCOM student (MS1-4) share experiences about the school: what they love about it, what they dislike, the faculty, programs, etc.? Especially about special programs or student run clinics because I can't seem to find much information on their website (it's pretty generic stuff).

It's okay to respond generically. Not sure how much they even read the secondary. I wrote about the stuff I see on their website that interested me, complex pass rate and score, etc.. That worked, MS1 here.

Has anyone had any kind of motion recently? I submitted last week, and it says my LORs are still missing. I'm probably jumping the gun, but just curious/anxious lol

Has anyone had any kind of motion recently? I submitted last week, and it says my LORs are still missing. I'm probably jumping the gun, but just curious/anxious lol

There are people who have been complete since June with no activity since. One week is nothing

Has anybody not received a secondary yet? I submitted my primary July 6th and was verified the 14th. This is the only school I've yet to receive a secondary from.

IS with a 505 MCAT & 3.7 gpa.

Has anybody not received a secondary yet? I submitted my primary July 6th and was verified the 14th. This is the only school I've yet to receive a secondary from.

IS with a 505 MCAT & 3.7 gpa.

I was complete yesterday (514 MCAT & 3.3 GPA) and got my secondary today. From what I saw last year, they send secondaries to high MCAT applicants first (508+) and the rest come later. Scroll through last year's thread and watch the dates/MCAT combos.

Does anyone know how much emphasis AZCOM puts on OMM? And if they do any community outreach stuff? I looked all over their website and couldn't find much.

Does anyone know how much emphasis AZCOM puts on OMM? And if they do any community outreach stuff? I looked all over their website and couldn't find much.
same like their website is so.....empty. Nothing about student life, special programs, research labs, etc....sighhh >.<

I was complete yesterday (514 MCAT & 3.3 GPA) and got my secondary today. From what I saw last year, they send secondaries to high MCAT applicants first (508+) and the rest come later. Scroll through last year's thread and watch the dates/MCAT combos.
Does this mean if we received our secondary already, means our MCAT is relatively competitive?