Midwestern University c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sblove17

Ohio State CVM c/o 2018!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know people aren't particularly excited about new vet schools, but is anyone else applying here? What is interesting is that Midwestern is using rolling admissions. After I submitted my VMCAS, I got an e-mail to access the supplemental (which is technically due March 1) and it says that they look at applicants on a rolling basis. I think they are the only vet school that does this (not sure about LMU?). I guess it's smart on their part to use rolling admissions because applicants may not want to interview with them if they've already been accepted to another school.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the Caribbean schools utilize rolling admissions.

I applied to Midwestern. I got a check from them in the mail today, looks like a refund for my supplemental application, anyone know what's up with that? I'm about to email about them but figured I'd ask others if the same thing happened to them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've applied to MWU, and I actually got an interview invite a day after I turned in my supplemental. At that time, they had waived the supplemental fee, so perhaps that's why you got a refund in the mail for the supp? Anyway, I will be there for an interview Oct. 30.

I've applied to MWU, and I actually got an interview invite a day after I turned in my supplemental. At that time, they had waived the supplemental fee, so perhaps that's why you got a refund in the mail for the supp? Anyway, I will be there for an interview Oct. 30.

congrats!! That's exciting, you'll have to let us know how it goes :):luck:

I'm still working on my supplemental. When did you submit yours?

congrats!! That's exciting, you'll have to let us know how it goes :):luck:

I'm still working on my supplemental. When did you submit yours?
I will definitely let you know how it goes. I got an email on Sept 23 saying they were doing interviews the following month and they had waived the supplemental fee to encourage people to turn in their supplementals early. I turned my supplemental in on Sept 25 and got an invite on the 26th. Honestly, I was shocked to hear back so soon.

Best of luck :) Arizona weather is pretty great in my opinion!

Last edited:
Yup, that's exactly what happened. I emailed them and they said they weren't charging for the supplemental application anymore so they were giving refunds. I got an interview invite too! I'm not sure when I'm going yet, I live in Germany and can't afford to make the trip to the states twice if (BIG if) another school sends me an interview invite. I'll just have to keep waiting to see. I'll have to pick a date sooner or later.

Awesome! Keep me updated. Did you apply to St. George's? I applied there as well, and actually have a Skype interview with them, which saves me a lot on travel, thankfully! Just a suggestion...

I received a invitation for an interview today it will be on November 19th. Does anyone know if they follow the April 15th rule or not. I talked to someone in admissions and they said they were giving offers right after interviews.

Absolutely no offense to everyone who applied and has received interviews thus far, but doesn't anyone think they're acting a little desperate? Giving out interviews right after applications were submitted, said to give offers right after interviews...

Absolutely no offense to everyone who applied and has received interviews thus far, but doesn't anyone think they're acting a little desperate? Giving out interviews right after applications were submitted, said to give offers right after interviews...

I totally have been thinking the same thing but didn't want to be the one to say it xD

I totally have been thinking the same thing but didn't want to be the one to say it xD

:thumbup: Ditto, I didn't want to say it either.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anybody remember how long after MWU receives your primary application do they contact you and send you the supplemental?? They should have received my primary app a couple days ago and they are the only school that i haven't hear back from.

:thumbup: Ditto, I didn't want to say it either.

Same here... didn't want to seem mean.

For every seat at the desperate vet school, there is an equally desperate student waiting to fill it. This will always be true.

Okay, listen. As a current applicant, I do agree that it is weird (yes, maybe even "desperate") for a vet school to be sending out invites so quickly. HOWEVER, I (and probably many other applicants) don't appreciate these comments. Most of us (if not all of us) on here have all worked so incredibly hard to get into vet school. I am a second time applicant who was crushed last year after not getting in, but I have continued to work, work, work to make myself a better applicant. I did have an interview at Tufts last year, and let me tell you, receiving that interview offer was one of the most exciting, rewarding things that happened to me. Therefore, I find it demeaning that people on here are making comments that take away from the excitement and pride of getting an interview invite. Regardless of the school, getting an interview is still an ACCOMPLISHMENT. This is supposed to be a SUPPORTIVE community, so how about we all continue to act this way. Think of how you felt when you got an interview/were accepted into vet school and how you would have felt if people were putting your school down and making it seem like the school isn't as worthy as others. Just saying. I understand that the profession is hurting and the addition of more vet schools isn't helping that, but that doesn't make it OK for people to take away the excitement from current applicants by putting down a vet school's admissions process.

I'm sure (or at least I hope) that these comments were not intended to be mean or rude, but I think that we should all remain supportive of each other (and each person's school choices) throughout this process. Thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
I understand everyone's apprehensions about the two new vet schools, but do remember that YOUR vet school was once new. Western. Oregon. USU. Nebraska program via ISU. This school may be trying to decide what population of students they want in their class, and may be willing to give more than the average number of interviews to find the right class for that school.

Okay, listen. As a current applicant, I do agree that it is weird (yes, maybe even "desperate") for a vet school to be sending out invites so quickly. HOWEVER, I (and probably many other applicants) don't appreciate these comments. Most of us (if not all of us) on here have all worked so incredibly hard to get into vet school. I am a second time applicant who was crushed last year after not getting in, but I have continued to work, work, work to make myself a better applicant. I did have an interview at Tufts last year, and let me tell you, receiving that interview offer was one of the most exciting, rewarding things that happened to me. Therefore, I find it demeaning that people on here are making comments that take away from the excitement and pride of getting an interview invite. Regardless of the school, getting an interview is still an ACCOMPLISHMENT. This is supposed to be a SUPPORTIVE community, so how about we all continue to act this way. Think of how you felt when you got an interview/were accepted into vet school and how you would have felt if people were putting your school down and making it seem like the school isn't as worthy as others. Just saying. I understand that the profession is hurting and the addition of more vet schools isn't helping that, but that doesn't make it OK for people to take away the excitement from current applicants by putting down a vet school's admissions process.

I'm sure (or at least I hope) that these comments were not intended to be mean or rude, but I think that we should all remain supportive of each other (and each person's school choices) throughout this process. Thank you.

I doubt any of us meant for our comments to hurt your feelings, but hopefully to be thought provoking. From someone completely removed from the situation by this schooling having rolling admission and sending out interviews so early, it appears that they are barley giving any consideration to applicants and are more considered about their empty seats, additionally it is unfair for YOU, the applicant because it pressures you into choosing an unfounded program, before waiting to hear from other schools with tested and true (and accredited) programs.

Life may seem desperate right now since you are not in school, but look further ahead than just the acceptance letter.

I doubt any of us meant for our comments to hurt your feelings, but hopefully to be thought provoking. From someone completely removed from the situation by this schooling having rolling admission and sending out interviews so early, it appears that they are barley giving any consideration to applicants and are more considered about their empty seats, additionally it is unfair for YOU, the applicant because it pressures you into choosing an unfounded program, before waiting to hear from other schools with tested and true (and accredited) programs.

Life may seem desperate right now since you are not in school, but look further ahead than just the acceptance letter.

Will they not abide by the April 15th rule?

Will they not abide by the April 15th rule?

This is off their website: "Interviews are conducted and the selection of candidates is made until the class is filled. Applicants are notified of their selection status as soon as possible after their interview date. However, in accordance with the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges acceptance deadline policy, students that are offered a position are not required to accept an offer of admission until April 15. "

Its just so odd, the wording of it.

This is off their website: "Interviews are conducted and the selection of candidates is made until the class is filled. Applicants are notified of their selection status as soon as possible after their interview date. However, in accordance with the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges acceptance deadline policy, students that are offered a position are not required to accept an offer of admission until April 15. "

Its just so odd, the wording of it.

Yeah, the first and last sentence sound contradicting. Hm. If I were applying to this school, I would get clarification on that- especially want to know how they will maintain the right class size this way:confused:

It seems that when people say “not to be mean, but…” or “no offense, but…” what they mean is they’re going to say something that’s probably mean/ offensive, but they don’t want you to get mad at them. I don't think calling the school desperate is particularly thought provoking, nor is it informing anyone of the risks/ etc. of applying to a new program.

Anyway, their speed in granting interviews/ acceptances probably speaks to their number of applicants more than their desperation. They probably have fewer applicants, meaning less paperwork and more leeway to grant early interviews/ acceptances.

Anyway, their speed in granting interviews/ acceptances probably speaks to their number of applicants more than their desperation. They probably have fewer applicants, meaning less paperwork and more leeway to grant early interviews/ acceptances.

Yes, and I'm also sure that they are taking every precaution to ensure that they end up with a full class. Face it, they're new, and, as such, not yet competitive/sought-out - they need to fill seats! Same goes for LMU.

I chose not to apply to either school, but I can understand why some would want to jump on the chance. I was tempted, but...

I'm not being mean. I never said I wasn't once a desperate student... I totally was. And I would have considered the program.

I just meant that, no matter what we say here or whatever, they're gonna fill their class up no problem. There are always willing students, and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon.

Choosing to attend or not attend this school is definitely a personal decision - all the power to ya. Just consider all your options and make an informed (and not rushed) decision, just like you would with anything else.

It seems that when people say “not to be mean, but…” or “no offense, but…” what they mean is they’re going to say something that’s probably mean/ offensive, but they don’t want you to get mad at them. I don't think calling the school desperate is particularly thought provoking, nor is it informing anyone of the risks/ etc. of applying to a new program.

Good grief, first off whether I make someone "mad" at me on here for stating that they should spend some extra time thinking about going to a school that seems to be sending out interview invites faster than the girl scouts can hand out cookies is fine by me. Secondly, if I make someone mad by stating that this school seems be positioning themselves to bully students into accepting early seats, is also fine by me. And thirdly, if I have grieved anyone by pointing out that this school is not yet accredited, and they are accepting students on an expectation of full accreditation in 2018 is also fine by me.
Go drink some vodka.

It hasn't just over a week since VMCAS closed, they must have some speedy readers over at Midwestern.

There's nothing wrong with reminding people not to rush into things, or providing information that you think is helpful for people to make informed decisions. But all that was initially said was "the school seems desperate" with a chorus of "yeah, I agree." And I didn't see how those comments were helpful/ thought provoking.

Regarding accreditation, I just want to repost my earlier summary in the LMU thread so everyone is informed of the process. Just because full accreditation cannot be awarded until the first class graduates, doesn't mean that graduates will not be extended the same benefits as those who graduated from a fully accredited school. It will depend on whether provisional accreditation is conferred or not. So it is not quite the same as attending a non- accredited school

To add a bit to the accreditation process conversation.....I'm currently attending a newish school (I will be in the 6th graduating class), so I know the accreditation process from doing research on it when this school was being established.

The Letter of Reasonable Assurance from the COE is awarded based on a thorough review of its proposed program and a site visit (Which LMU has). The school is then eligible to become accredited on admission of its first class. Essentially, the COE can officially confer provisional accreditation following the admission of its first class and review of its semi-annual progress reports.

With provisional accreditation, all students in the program are ensured of graduating from an accredited college on completion of the degree. :thumbup:

The COE still will conduct periodic site visits and the college will have to submit regular progress reports. Once the first class graduates, the school will be eligible for full accreditation, following a program review and site visit.

Now I did know a few people in the c/o 2012 (UCVM's first graduating class) and they were not without a lot of challenges. The facilities weren't completely finished (so some classes were in trailers outside), many changes have since been implemented with student feedback and they were figuring out what worked and didn't work (being the guinea pigs simply cannot be avoided, no matter how much planning there is ahead of time). However, none of them regret it and feel as though they were taught well in the program. So while each school will have its challenges, make sure you go in with an open mind that it won't be perfect, but it's completely do-able.

I'm not facing the same stigma here in regards to a new school because it has been viewed as meeting the province's needs (and we aren't as bad off as the U.S. is currently with the number of vet grads or debt load), however I think that will be another challenge for you as well. The school will be opening and accepting people, so if you're confident in their program and feel as though its the right fit for you, go for it. I don't agree with adding more seats/schools, but the fact is that it's happening, so just make sure you're doing what is best for you.

Cliffs: If LMU gains provisional accreditation with the admittance of its first class, students will be graduating from an accredited college even if full accreditation isn't officially awarded until graduation. New schools have challenges. Be aware of them and make sure it's still the right fit for you.

My advice is the same for students applying to Midwestern. :)

I just got back from interviewing from Midwestern, I was in the first group of people invited. I will say that it seems like it is going to be a really great school. The staff is really nice and seem genuinely interested in the students there. The dean of the vet school spent most of the day with us. They are building some incredible facilities with state of the art equipment including the small animal hospital, the classrooms and labs, etc. The curriculum seem really well thought out and put together and they are big on teaching students to be fully trained SA surgeons early on in the program so they have a solid surgery basis for everything else to come. They definitely did not come across as desperate when I was there. So far they have received over 400 applications and they only invited 12 of us for the first round of interviews. They were very clear that they are trying to choose the right students to fit their program, and they will be letting us know within a few weeks if we are in, out or wait listed. They also made it very clear that we are not expected to make any final decision before April 15th. I was a little apprehensive about the school but now that I have been there and seen firsthand what they are doing, I would feel extremely comfortable about going there. They are fully on track to receive full accreditation when the first class graduates, as required by AVMA rules. And for the record, I am certainly not a desperate student. I have over 5000 hours of vet tech experience, a bachelors and a masters degree, and good gpa and gre scores. I chose Midwestern because the location of the school would be ideal for me. I do have an application at a few other really good vet schools here in the USA which have been around for over 40 years, so interviewing at Midwestern was not desperation, it was about seeing something new and I am glad that I did. For anyone going to check it out, be excited!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There's nothing wrong with reminding people not to rush into things, or providing information that you think is helpful for people to make informed decisions. But all that was initially said was "the school seems desperate" with a chorus of "yeah, I agree." And I didn't see how those comments were helpful/ thought provoking.
:thumbup:

I just got back from interviewing from Midwestern, I was in the first group of people invited. I will say that it seems like it is going to be a really great school. The staff is really nice and seem genuinely interested in the students there. The dean of the vet school spent most of the day with us. They are building some incredible facilities with state of the art equipment including the small animal hospital, the classrooms and labs, etc. The curriculum seem really well thought out and put together and they are big on teaching students to be fully trained SA surgeons early on in the program so they have a solid surgery basis for everything else to come. They definitely did not come across as desperate when I was there. So far they have received over 400 applications and they only invited 12 of us for the first round of interviews. They were very clear that they are trying to choose the right students to fit their program, and they will be letting us know within a few weeks if we are in, out or wait listed. They also made it very clear that we are not expected to make any final decision before April 15th. I was a little apprehensive about the school but now that I have been there and seen firsthand what they are doing, I would feel extremely comfortable about going there. They are fully on track to receive full accreditation when the first class graduates, as required by AVMA rules. And for the record, I am certainly not a desperate student. I have over 5000 hours of vet tech experience, a bachelors and a masters degree, and good gpa and gre scores. I chose Midwestern because the location of the school would be ideal for me. I do have an application at a few other really good vet schools here in the USA which have been around for over 40 years, so interviewing at Midwestern was not desperation, it was about seeing something new and I am glad that I did. For anyone going to check it out, be excited!

That's awesome! Thank you so much for sharing this!!

I'm glad that this school is on track to becoming accredited and that it seems that it will offer a competitive and comparable education to the most established, accredited schools out there...I think good points have been offered by both sides, but something that I haven't seen mentioned here is the prospects of employment post-graduation. This may not even be a factor, but it was something I considered very heavily when I was giving both this school and LMU some thought before I decided to apply to only my in-state. From what I've read, graduates seem to feel lucky to just receive one job offer...and the market is still not all that great. I wondered if being the first class from a new program would affect my outcome of being a competitive job applicant, or internship/residency applicant if I choose to go that route. It may play little or no part, but it was just another factor I considered. I'm sure by the end of the four years, everything will turn out just fine. Hopefully the market will be better for all of us (current DVMs and future graduates) by then, if not sooner. :oops:

I'm glad that this school is on track to becoming accredited and that it seems that it will offer a competitive and comparable education to the most established, accredited schools out there...I think good points have been offered by both sides, but something that I haven't seen mentioned here is the prospects of employment post-graduation. This may not even be a factor, but it was something I considered very heavily when I was giving both this school and LMU some thought before I decided to apply to only my in-state. From what I've read, graduates seem to feel lucky to just receive one job offer...and the market is still not all that great. I wondered if being the first class from a new program would affect my outcome of being a competitive job applicant, or internship/residency applicant if I choose to go that route. It may play little or no part, but it was just another factor I considered. I'm sure by the end of the four years, everything will turn out just fine. Hopefully the market will be better for all of us (current DVMs and future graduates) by then, if not sooner. :oops:

Honestly? Yes, it probably will affect your chances somewhat but shouldn't do too much. There are always pockets or people who prefer to hire those from specific programs (usually they went there) or prefer not to hire from specific programs (had a bad experience with one of them previously). The fact is, a DVM degree is a challenge no matter where you get it from.

A bigger concern of mine is the clinical year. most of the newer schools seem to be avoiding having the clinical year at the same institution (not sure about midwestern, but definitely for LMU). There is a lot to be said for being able to walk into clinics during the first few years and watch or volunteer. And adding more students to other schools for their clinical year just decreases case load for everyone.

Sigh. Some days I hate the way our world is going. Look, Midwestern is out to get your money. That is it. And what they are offering for the price is NOT WORTH IT. I've been in this game for about 10 years, and if you think going in to $250,000 of debt to do this job is worth the sacrifice, you're wrong. It isn't. Never, ever. So please please do not get sucked in to all these new schools and their ridiculous tuition rates. You are signing yourself up to indentured servitude to the banks, the government etc for the rest of your life. If you can actually get a job. Forget owning a home, forget starting a family, forget everything else but trying to piece together as much work as you can so you don't end up living in your car. I know this may come across as another angry vet rant. I'm not really. I just hate the way the baby boomers are screwing over gen Y, and they don't and won't realise it until its too late. Ugh. "Rant over"
One caveat - if you're independently wealthy or have parents/partner willing to front the cost of tuition then knock yourself out. Otherwise, run.

Where did you get the supplemental application?

ok when did you get your supplemental?

Awesome! Keep me updated. Did you apply to St. George's? I applied there as well, and actually have a Skype interview with them, which saves me a lot on travel, thankfully! Just a suggestion...

That's awesome, wonder if Midwestern would be willing to do something like that. I did not apply to St. George's, I considered Ross University but my issue is getting evaluation letters from faculty members, I got plenty of veterinarian LoEs but I have no luck getting professors to write one for me, even those that whose classes I got A's in and attended office hours. To tell you the truth, I didn't really look into St. George's but now I will. I will let you know once I decide to actually schedule an interview with Midwestern.

I am sorta new to this forum, I've been creeping around but finally decided to post something. I'm trying to figure out how to quote multiple things in one response so I don't have to reply a bunch of times. Hope this works.

I completely understand your (and everyone else's) concern for those of us who have applied to Midwestern University. However, you do not have to be so afraid for us, I, for one, have done my research on what extra expensive hoops I will have to jump through if I were to be accepted, attend, and then the school does not become at least provisionally accredited. It is a gamble, I know, but I am sure that other applicants, as smart and intelligent adults, have done their research and are aware of what it would mean for them to graduate from a non-AVMA accredited school and thought long and hard about whether or not to apply. As mentioned above, all the school needs now is provisional accreditation, not even full accreditation, and the graduates will have graduated from a fully accredited school for licensure purposes.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I greatly appreciate the insight provided from someone who actually attended an interview and not assumptions.

I also applied to Midwestern this cycle. Haven't turned in my supplemental yet. This thread is the first I've heard of people already being offered interviews. If anyones comfortable, would you mind sharing your stats? Just out of curiosity of how strict they're being about GPA, GRE, etc. My GPA is a little low, but everything else is stellar so I'm just trying to gauge if I might even have a shot since they don't have any averages out there yet as reference.

I applied to Midwestern as well! However, I have not heard anything from them with regards that they have even received all of my materials. Does anybody have admissions or whomever I should contact email? I don't see any contact info online. Thanks!

I applied to Midwestern as well! However, I have not heard anything from them with regards that they have even received all of my materials. Does anybody have admissions or whomever I should contact email? I don't see any contact info online. Thanks!

I usually email [email protected] and I get a response the same day. I think that's a general admissions email so I tend to mention the fact that I applied to their veterinary school.

Thank you!

Does anybody who received an interview invite mind sharing their stats? I am a non-traditional applicant with a lower GPA and would like to know where I stand. Thank you!

I'm a non traditional applicant too... I would also appreciate if anyone whose gotten an interview would post their stats. When do you guys think they will start their next interview round?
Do you think they have gone through all 300 to 400 applications already or are they extending invites as they make their way through the pile?

I have an interview on November the 19th. I received my interview invite on 10/9. My stats are not great by any means but they are GPA 3.2, veterinary hours 4500, GRE scores are in the average ranges I don't remember the exact numbers not great I do know that. Hope this helps someone.

I got an interview! I haven't picked the date yet , but it says the days available are all in December and January. My stats are: non traditional applicant (was originally art history major), last 45 hr gpa 3.96, science gpa 3.97, cumm gpa 3.56, vet tech hours about 3000.

I got an interview! I haven't picked the date yet , but it says the days available are all in December and January. My stats are: non traditional applicant (was originally art history major), last 45 hr gpa 3.96, science gpa 3.97, cumm gpa 3.56, vet tech hours about 3000.

Congrats!!!!!

Damn I really need to stop procrastinating and finish the supplemental

Do it! You will feel so much better when it's done. Now I only have my tufts application left which I am hugely procrastinating!

Congrats on completion of your interview!! Would you mind talking a little bit more about the schedule of the day. How was the format of the interview? Was it group or individual? Do you have any suggestions for preparing for the questions they asked?
Thanks!

The day started with the dean coming in and speaking with the 12 of us interviewing as a group. He took us in and did a slide show presentation/orientation outlining the curriculum and goals of the program, then opened the floor up to questions. Then they broke us into 2 groups of 6, and the first group went on the campus tour while the other group did interviews. The interviews are all individual, one on one with a faculty member and a veterinarian from the community, and there were 2 different panels doing the interviews.. As far as questions asked, at least with my interview they personalized their questions to fit my application, so you really need to know what your application says. They are really nice and do not ask interrogation style questions, but really want to get to know you as an individual. After everyone was finished with their interview, they took us all on a tour bus around the new construction of the classrooms and showed us what they are currently building. After that they came and did a wrap up back at the admin offices and we were done. All in all a very relaxed day.

You have to write an essay on Andy Warhol for a vet school application? That's just weird...